PDA

View Full Version : Dual G5 and Motion : One CPU used

qba3d
10-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Hello!
I`m new to MAC world and so on.. but recently i bought a dual g5 2ghz and FCP HD and motion. What made me surpised is that only one cpu seems to be used. wel they both are but sumary usage is only 100% of sinlge cpu, so when one cpu gets 70% other gets 30% and so on... I run Cinebench BETA optimied for G5 and xCPU test used 100%x2 so both were used properly..
My question is: are Motion and FINAL CUT optimised for DUAL setup? or do I have to do something to meke them use BOTH CPUs...

Help.
Q

nrgy
10-24-2004, 07:54 PM
First let me state I'm not a mac user thus I have not used both applications, but that being said from what I've read about Apple's Motion software it use's the video card for most of its power. It's kinda like IFX's Pirhana video editing software where the gpu and not cpu does most the work. Id read up on FCP because I tend to not keep up on it's news so I can't offer you any help in that area.

[ EDIT ]

Check out the article on fxguide.com about how Apple's Motion works

www.fxguide.com (http://www.fxguide.com/article218.html&mode=nested&order=0&thold=0)

Beamtracer
10-25-2004, 03:55 AM
If Motion is only using one CPU, then that is fantastic? Eh, you say?

Well, the speed of Motion leaves other compositing apps in the dust. If Motion is achieving this incredible speed with just one CPU, then that's even more amazing. Imagine how fast it will go if they optimize it further.

Lorecanth
10-25-2004, 09:53 AM
motion 1.0 sucks... try to use it for anything more complex than a flashy glowy and it will crash on you. Tried to do a clients dvd menus with it thought it would be cool. By the end of it, the scene was crashing every 5 minutes.

That being said they're heading in the right direction, using hardware acceleration, but this should have definatly put in check and kept in beta another 6 months.

qba3d
10-25-2004, 10:56 AM
ooo thats so bad news...! that I even smiled...
I bought fx5200 with it... sucks..
So there is no way to utilize both cpus?
Motion and final Cut uses only one cpu?

So why Apple produces dual solution when their FLag Software - motion and Final CUt Pro HD uses only one?

strange that is, my friends..

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.