PDA

View Full Version : Random movement?

Vladbad
10-24-2004, 12:40 PM
Hi everybody

Iīm working on small animation which involves leaves floating on a river. The animated leaves will be composited together with a background shot of a river. Iīm quite new to Mel and scripting but would like to get a tip how to make random movements for my leaves.

I need to make the amplitude of every wavemovement slightly different, but donīt want to animate it by hand. This is obviously something that should be scripted, maybe with some noice added on top of the normal movement.

Is there a way to add randomness to a keyframed animation or should the whole wavemovement be completed scriptdriven?

Any tips or direction towards tutorials that deal with this problem are more than welcome.

With best regards

Vlad

michael-fd
10-25-2004, 12:16 AM
Hi,
I'v wrote such script a while ago - it does exactly what you need. You just keyframe the basic movement and the script will deal with oscillations.
The script is quite complicated, and does many other things, so if you are interested just e-mail me and I'll guide you how to use it in an efficient way.

mark_wilkins
10-25-2004, 01:37 AM
I need to make the amplitude of every wavemovement slightly different, but donīt want to animate it by hand. This is obviously something that should be scripted, maybe with some noice added on top of the normal movement.

I'm not convinced that you should script this. Why not use a noise map as the displacement for a surface and either constrain the leaves to the surface, or, if you have a LOT of leaves, place particles on the surface and use them to instance leaf geometry?

You can animate the noise map and get reasonably interesting motion. Throw in some wave deformers and you should have something that looks pretty good.

-- Mark

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.