PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Process... how's this done in each app???

gidgit
08-20-2002, 12:25 AM
ok, we've all seen the countless threads re- which app....
but... nothing really seems to get resolved by such...so... here's a different approach towards the same question

Below I have attached a model I quickly did up for this exercise... yea yea it ain't much... thing is, many new user's who pose this question start modeling simple stuff like chess pieces and I would suppose this is because most are familiar with such.... anyways...

how would you model this in Maya, Lightwave, C4D, 3DS, Rhino, Blender...etc... whatever your app of choice is for creating basic models such as this....

Please show a screen shot of the process and describe how the steps it would take to create the model and to render with a wood texture... I am interested in steps taken with which tools, and howlong the whole process would take... this should be really easy for most of you... and will give a better insight to the newuser just what is in store with each app...

Grey
08-20-2002, 12:50 AM
In rhino:

draw the cross curve

type: revolve

select the axis

enter
enter
enter

done

UV is already there on Rhino's nurbs patch... it would be a single patch.

Tottebias
08-20-2002, 12:52 AM
Hmm. Almost too simple. I'm using LW but I'm sure all the other packages can do it the same way.

Chris
08-20-2002, 12:53 AM
In 3ds Max:

create a spline, draw one sides profile.

In the modifier tab, add the 'lathe' modifier & set axis as appropriate.

Apply UVW mapping (probably cylinder)

in the diffuse slot of a fresh material, load in a bitmap of some wood (or procedural if required)

apply texture to chess piece.

Done.

if we are not placing the wood texture, you only need the top 2...

gidgit
08-20-2002, 01:12 AM
haha, sorry Tott, yea it's pretty simple stuff, but... so far we are seeing a couple of different approaches to this... love to see some more screenshots though folks, and of course we would love to see this in C4D, trueSpace, etc...

hey thanx for this guys... :) so far so good...

OrestesMantra
08-20-2002, 01:21 AM
Same process in Maya.

-Draw curve profile with a choice of many different curve drawing tools.
-Hit revolve
-Your done.

Chris
08-20-2002, 01:22 AM
Heres another one for 3dsMax:

create a straight line, & a circle

create a compound object -> loft (line as path, circle as shape)

in the modifier open the loft's 'Scale' deformations.

Change the graph so it represents the varying widths of the piece.

Put wood bitmap into diffuse slot as above

apply material to object

done! :bounce:

Grey
08-20-2002, 01:30 AM
In Cinema4D, I'd also do it in nurbs

Draw the curve, then give it a NURBS revolve modifier...

It's probably 8-10 keystrokes.

Chris
08-20-2002, 01:38 AM
cool, yeah Nurbs, in Max:

create the half nurbs curve, click lathe & click the curve.

dvornik
08-20-2002, 01:42 AM
On the other hand if you consider that you won't be able to model a horse with lathe or you are just as sloppy as myself you can just meshsmooth some boxy-looking thing (it's max but any poly modeller would do):

Grey
08-20-2002, 02:11 AM
I think that's overkill for this object... Dvorick

Chris
08-20-2002, 02:20 AM
I dunno, it takes a fraction of time more to do than lathing (create box ->convert to poly -> bevel, bevel, bevel, bevel, bevel, bevel, bevel -> meshsmooth) & youve got a nice, easily editable, ultra low poly model all ready to go! :thumbsup:

Grey
08-20-2002, 02:26 AM
I dunno... it took all of 30 seconds in rhino and 45 in Cinema4D using NURBS..

dvornik
08-20-2002, 02:27 AM
Yeah, you're right Grey. It's just to demonstrate a different approach. And it lets you keep on playing with it:

Grey
08-20-2002, 02:30 AM
sheesh... now you just HAD to turn the durn thang into a figure now didn't you!!!

showoff... :beer:

dvornik
08-20-2002, 02:35 AM
Sorry, man. The point being it's good for a certain kind of modelling. If you remember I was asking you about solid modelling and nurbs - each approach has it's advantages and limitations. For instance you can't be precise with polys.

Nemises
08-20-2002, 02:38 AM
good topic Gidget.

I'd say , for somethnig simple like that ALL 3d apps are going to be able to use the two (or 3 if you count the scaled loft objects ;) ) methodes...

Spline Latheing, or "box" modelling

Its when you need to factor in the Animation of the object that the different methods would start to seperate themselves I'd say...

Grey
08-20-2002, 02:52 AM
Dvornik, actually considering SDS is very similar to NURBS, a skilled SDS modeller could probably pull off very accurate surfaces rivalling NURBS patches...

I admire your creativity :D

dvornik
08-20-2002, 03:00 AM
Grey, thanks for all your advice on Rhino and general nurbs stuff. I'm really bad at that.

I've seen some incredible poly models of cars, weapons, robots etc. but in my opinion it's really using the wrong tools. Unless it's for low-poly applications.

gidgit
08-20-2002, 04:03 AM
hey this is great stuff folks, keep it coming... wow, you guys really know your stuff... nurbs, box and bevel, poly counts...

speaking of which... question...

if you have a low poly count then how do you get a smooth surface, or is that done with mapping? Also, what pray tell is the difference between having a high count or low other than rendering times that is, or is that it?

I'me such a rooky :D can't ya tell? oh well, ya gotta start somewhere eh? and... that's part of the point to all of this... which app and which approach...

btw, I loved the figures..hehe.. take it and run with it folks... :D Just be sure to keep us ludites involved with how the heck you are doing these things... :D

Chris
08-20-2002, 04:25 AM
most applications have a method of making surfaces look smooth from one poly to the next by interpolating the poly's normal direction between two faces (as opposed to each poly having a single & different normal - which would give a faceted look) this only affects the shading of the surface, the silhouette of an object will still look blocky if it is low poly.

The main drawback with high poly stuff is refresh speed when you work on it, rendering speed & confusion (when you are for example trying to flatten the UV's on a model so complex the mesh looks like one big solid surface)

Norman
08-20-2002, 12:24 PM
:bounce:
As I've told gidgit this is a wonderful Thread.. and me coming from Povray would NEVER have thought to use a BOX that would look like a DISC object..

That just blew my mind that you could take a box, bevel it and make it round..

WOW..
Cool.. I definately got more reading to do..

Grey
08-21-2002, 03:26 AM
gidgit, most of these guys are about half my age and I'm a rookie compared to all of them :D

gidgit
08-21-2002, 09:46 AM
I hear ya Grey, believe you me... after 40 ya just sorta look at what these youngins are doing and it's mind blowing... I certainly take my hat off to em... my youngest son (8) already knows more than me... hehe ah well, that's progress and evolution I suppose... power to em... :D

but... that doesn't mean us older farts can't play too... ;) ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.