PDA

View Full Version : How to bind Intuos 3 button to v. IX brush resize hotkeys

Pinoy McGee
10-23-2004, 04:24 AM
[Update: Solution found c/o Wacom tech support. See my last post below.]

-----------------------------
I know of Painter's shift + alt + ctrl interactive resize combo, yet I'm not sure how to just set this as a tablet button on my Wacom if at all possible (the key combo is not an option in "add special" when I tried customizing).

I tried setting the left touch strip with incremental and it works but it's slower and ends after something like 15% resize.

If anybody knows or has an alternative thanks in advance.

Pinoy McGee
10-23-2004, 03:21 PM
For reference, a lynda video tutorial cleared this up. The interactive resize hotkeys are actually ctrl+alt instead of the 3 keystroke combo in the help documentation. Regardless, I still can't set this up in just one tablet button. (I've already contacted Wacom and Corel about this.)

Jinbrown
10-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Hi,

I don't have an Intuos 3 but can you add the ] key to increase brush size and the [ key to decrease brush size?

If not, you can use those keys on your keyboard. In Edit > Preferences > General, the brush size increment can be set to any number from 1 to 10.

Pinoy McGee
10-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Hi Jin.

Setting a touchstrip with [ ] increment keys would work but not as smoothly or as fast as the auto brush resize (I hide the properties bar a lot too, so I won't be able to get an instant visual feedback without some stylus-finger switching and reaching for the keyboard).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Intuos 3's side buttons and strips. It would just add more to my personal workflow if I can have the auto resize as a one button trigger with the stylus setting the size without the need of lifting it from the surface. I'm left handed so most of the controls that I'll use: rotate page, grabber, and brush resize are set for my non-drawing hand side. I'd like to have flip horizon too on this side if it weren't for the ctrl+alt auto resize combo (uses up 2 tablet buttons) which strangely I can't just map as one or even change key combinations in Painter and my Wacom.

Jinbrown
10-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Hi,

You should be able to use Customize Keys to change the current [ and ] keys to something you can do with your non-drawing hand, just as an alternate method even if it's not as fast and smooth as using Ctrl/Command+Alt/Option to resize the brush variant.

Look under Other in the Customize Keys dialog (for anyone who isn't familiar with where these keystroke commands can be changed).

ryders
10-23-2004, 08:20 PM
For me, using the touch strip on the Intuos 3 to resize the brush is very fast... And I get visual feedback as it grows / shrinks. But then I don't usually go from a 3 pixel brush to a 200 pixel brush. If you have to go small to big with your brushes... You could probably jack up the increment to 10 pixels in prefs... or even 20...

ryders

Pinoy McGee
10-27-2004, 02:50 AM
Wacom tech support recommended: "You should be able to assign shift, alt, and ctrl for one key. Just select Modifier and you can select those three keys."

And it works now for me, woohoo!

(As noted in previous post: ctrl+alt is the actual Painter IX brush resize shortcut.)

Trench
10-27-2004, 09:10 AM
It doesn't really work that well, at least not in Painter 8. The way I had to do it was to assign the modifiers to my 3rd pen button, and while keeping it pressed, I could use the LMB to resize the brush.

I kinda got pissed off by the whole thing since I was hoping for a Corel Photopaint implementation of the resize tool which works a lot better in my opinion. Maybe this has been changed in Painter IX? If so, please let me know. That alone would be worth an upgrade... I'm a sucker for the little things...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.