PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to layer .MDD's (ClothFX) ?

Carm3D
10-23-2004, 12:46 AM
Hi,

I have a rigged and animated character. I want to use ClothFX to make secondary motion. When I ran tests on an un-rigged (boneless) version of the character, ClothFX ran at an acceptable rate; a frame every few seconds.

I loaded the same ClothFX settings on the rigged character and ClothFX slowed to a crawl. It's been calculating for five hours now and is appearantly still on frame 1. Either that or it's locked up. I also let it calculate last night with similar results.

So my bright idea is this.. Run MD_Scan to store the bone movement to an .MDD file, then delete the bones. Load up the .MDD file and run ClothFX on top of that. But so far my tests show the calculated data has the character deforming as if it's standing still the whole time.. -ignoring the data from the MD_Plug plugin. Is this possible, or am I on a fool's errand? Thanks!

pooby
10-23-2004, 10:17 AM
In the old motion designer, you had to scan the object that was deformed by bones, then if you applied FIX to the cloth, it would follow the object exactly.

So theoretically, you could have an identical model reproducing the first's behaviour whilst adding any cloth-like effects.

I'm not sure about Clothfx, because you don't need to use scan.. I presume that plugin is still there though..

Carm3D
10-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Thanks Pooby,

I got it working.. The presence of bones was grinding ClothFX to a halt. After MD_Scanning the object, I ran it on a boneless character and it worked fine. Took me all day to figure that out. Pththtf.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.