PDA

View Full Version : FXWars! Roller Coaster!: Darktding

darktding
10-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Hi every1,
I have finally got a grip of houdini and I beleive I can do something with this challenge in it. So here goes.... stay tuned for more posts from me :)
Cheers

darktding
10-23-2004, 04:14 PM
Wht I am going to try doing is setting up a parth which the rollercoaster is going to take and evluating that path's Y distance over time would give me velocity.
I can then use this velocity to make the coaster move faster or slower...

darktding
10-26-2004, 08:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/keltuzar2/darktdplayblast.gif
Here is a small gif animation of my test simulation....
I have successfully achieved procedural simulation and now all I need to worry about is getting the roller coaster carriage to move in the fashion I want....

ACantarel
10-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Hmm... can you show this a bit closer? It looks nearly 2D :)

André

darktding
10-30-2004, 06:23 PM
so heres another playblast....
I think I need to make the coaster lesss frightening..... anyways its getting there... got any suggestions? Yes making rollercoasters are fun! All of this is refrenced from a single particle thats moving in the rail-like path.... I then simply refrence the coaster model on it...
thanks in advance for any suggestions....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/keltuzar2/rollercoastertest1.gif

ACantarel
10-31-2004, 01:46 AM
Hmm... there must be something wrong with the orientation of your particle. Or is it the spline which causes the upside-down effects? What happens at the end of your animation? Is the car flying off the track because of too much g-forces?

André

MatrixNAN
11-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Hey,

Your going about it the wrong way. You shouldn't have one tube you need more than one tube that the wheels lock into and ride along. Then you setup each car as an instanced particle with slidding in the POPS. Or you could use the copy SOP to get the GEOs on the particles. Once you have each car as a particle then you are going to have to setup a relationship with each car so the cars don't fly apart as they go over each hill. The reason your car is wheeling all over the place and then flying off is because you only have one contact surface so you can not bank that surface to make the car slide around each bank. Eventually at the end you exceed your cling value for the particle and the car goes flying off. You can drive the rotation of the wheels with an expression based off of the velocity of the particle or you can do it based off of the distance the particle moves per frame to caculate the rotation of the wheel. Thats basicly how to do it but I don't have time to work on this competition I am slammed until at least december if not later.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

Edwin Braun
11-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Lookys like a good start...but stil la long way to go for the dynamics
edwin

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.