cornishman
10-25-2004, 03:08 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

cornishman
11-18-2004, 02:21 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

SteveNewport
11-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Stephen, you really should put a link to your challenge entry in your signature... I had to find it through your post history!

Anyway, thank you so much for your comments, I really appreciate it.

You're latest sketch is very nicely rendered, but I'm not sure it gives the viewer anything. Just like a collage of things that's hard to understand why they're all there.
I think you need to develop a story. Once a story is created inside your head, imagery just flows out of your hands. You have a start, but really develop why they are all there, each side. Why are they battling... for what? Everything that's going on, past, present and future. Get something down in writing so we can see what you're thinking and so we can help you develop what you're trying to achieve and also, just as a quick sketch helps you develop a composition, a rough storyline will help you develop those sketches.

Also, for future sketches, your characters don't display much emotion. The sniper is very carelessly walking away as if there wasn't an entire city blowing up behind him. He's show some emotion whether he was scared or was enjoying the whole deal. And the guy inthe plane is very mute-faced. Just kinda like, "yup, I'm flyin a plane" :-P
But I'd start thinking about teh storyling (it will consume your thoughts once you really hit something you have a passion for) and from there it's sooooo much easier to work!
good luck and take care

cornishman
11-22-2004, 02:23 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

SteveNewport
11-22-2004, 05:03 PM
You're illustration background definitely shows, your line art is very well rendered. And once you have a solid story you'll have no problem illustrating the ideas within. Something I very heavily lack! But something, I'm sure, people like you could help me on throughout this process if you have the time!

And I know what you mean, with the whole imagination and inspiration thing. Luckily, the second I read about the challenge, ideas started being born, a Godsend! I entered this challenge to force myself to allow myself some time for... myself! To be able to work on projects that weren't for school or work. So it is a very nice break for me and I'll learn a lot

And for your signature, go up to the 'user CP' (at the top of the site) and the first link on the left will be your signature. Type in your name, then under it (or however you prefer to set it up!) Then just copy the link of your thread, click the little 'world/link' button on the top part of this reply window, and you type in the words you want linked, then paste the link when requested! Just nice for all of us to be able to navigate each others threads, really gets a lot of people here
take cae man, and good luck

cornishman
11-23-2004, 11:49 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

KaleN
11-23-2004, 02:32 PM
Nice drawing technique inded! I think it dosen't look like there was something really important happening in here. It looks more like a tiny unimportant fight of two little squads then a huge battle of two opssing empires that could dramaticly change the universe.

W-I-L
11-23-2004, 07:12 PM
hey mate,

Hmm i liek your drawings but the grandness of the image is lacking . . . maybe if you work out a kick ass story before putting pen to paper then that muight give you knew direction. You said you wanted to really be imaginative . . . go for it. push the envelope sir.

cornishman
11-30-2004, 10:49 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

NathanielWest
12-01-2004, 10:26 PM
I think you should focus on sketch 10, although your clean version isn't working because your character is walking off of the page. That's the only thing that bothers me about it.

SteveNewport
12-03-2004, 11:27 PM
cornishman,
again, I don't see much of a story in the image or outside of the image. I think with your latest composition the background would be the most vital clue as to what the story was. What is it your figures are walking away from or walking to? As of right now, you simply have 2 characters that are being kneeled to. I don't think the focus of this challenge is best represented through characters, I think the focus is on the scene and the story, and the characters can merely be playing it out. Just seriously start thinking about what makes you come alive, what do you hold as big, large, grand, operatic? What would scare/thrill/entice you if you were to see it in real life, then put the viewer in your eyes. Make it from that perspective. Like, take for instance this last composition. Instead of having the viewer right in front of the emperor (which would never be allowed to any citizen of this world), put the viewer in their place, make them ones in the kneeling line, inferior to the rest of the scene. Make them looking on towards the characters, but more importantly what they have done, where they're going, where they're coming from? What's the purpose of focusing on the emperor and not, say, one of the soldiers? What's the story behind it? In any scene, to give it tension and thrill, you need to put the viewer in a vulnerable inferior position. Giving them the luxury of being able to even be on the same walkway as the emperor is giving them too much. Make the viewer scared, intimidated, no more special than anyone/thing else in the scene, matter of fact, much less special.
For instance, would you're heart be pumping more from a mountain looking on to a battle, or right in the battle with a sword about to bash through your skull. Things like these, especially once a story is developed, should be focused upon.

Sorry, can't help with the figures, I have yet to gain the slightest bit of knowledge on that end! However, your figures look great... just not enough emotion or purpose yet

good luck, take care!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.