PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Elton Lambden

TheTon
10-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Elton Lambden has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/view_entries.php?challenger=4581)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: Character sketch
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4581/4581_1100644215_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4581/4581_1100644215_large.jpg)

Here's a concept sketch for the lizards which are being used to transport what's left of the refugees posessions.

TheTon
10-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Woohoo! Here I go then folks! Inspired by all the stuff I've seen here so far I decided that I should have a crack at this... If nothing else at least I'll have a bit of fun and I may even learn something...!

So all the very best of luck to you all and I'll see you back here soon with some ideas...

Later people

The Ton

:buttrock:

zem
10-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Ok, it's been an hour, and I haven't seen a single concept yet. Only 89 or so days to go. Start sketching! :)

TheTon
10-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Here we go then folks - The idea for my entry...

The galactic conflict has been raging for almost a generation. The death toll is immeasurable, not only in military forces, but also in the loss of countless civilian lives.

The conflict has affected everything from trade and industry to discovery and colonization.
But perhaps more importantly it has affected the everyday lives of every person in the galaxy. Fuel has run out, water has dried up or become poisonous, crops have died and animals with them.

With the system gripped in a famine of immense proportions the people have no choice but to leave their homes, livelihoods and heritage behind as they go on a epic search for hope and survival.

TheTon
10-22-2004, 10:20 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4581/4581_1098480053_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4581/4581_1098480053_large.jpg)

First concept sketch of the famine refugee idea...
I quite like the compostion, but I don't know if it's 'epic' enough yet...

Slav
10-22-2004, 10:24 PM
hi there.

really intersting 1st sketch... i like the dino in the back there. really funny...

good stuff.

3DZukini
10-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Neat idea you have going here...I like the mood, reminds me of the scene from i, robot where the robots all look up to the lone figure next to the Golden Gate bridge remains. Not the same story, but when I saw the sketch it reminded me of it. Keep up the good work, I expect this one to be good.

Crusty_Butt
10-23-2004, 01:15 AM
It does seem epic to me. I think it's a very strong idea, nice sketch too. I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

They look like they could be slaves too. Maybe that ship is their oppressors.

-Bret

Ilikesoup
10-23-2004, 05:47 AM
Hmm. . . sounds like they may need to build an ark. And look! :eek: They're already lined up two by two.

Sounds like you've got a good story going.

Lunatique
10-23-2004, 08:42 AM
I think if you took the same scene but changed the perspective to much lower, the entire scene might look more powerful and interesting.

Hillartsympho
10-24-2004, 02:51 PM
nice sketch, think about layers of space to add to the epic quality, there is alot more you can do with whats in the sky area.
good start and good luck!

SalamanderCoral
10-24-2004, 07:16 PM
nice concept, mate! i like the rocky building on the left, where the lonesome guy with his staff is overlooking the events...
best wishes for the challenge!

Salamander

MVP
10-24-2004, 07:46 PM
swork dude, good luck.

dgpilot
10-24-2004, 07:53 PM
I agree with Lunatique, a more dramatic angle will do some wonders! Good luck

zem
10-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Like the concept. If you're keeping the composition there is a good idea to add something in the foreground to the left. Rocks, more lizards or just an orphan kid standing on a ridge looking for someone to take care of him/her. If you add something to the left, you might want to consider adding something to the right, between the city in the background and the closest lizard. Ruins perhaps.

but what ever you do, keep the lizards.

robinayles
10-25-2004, 05:58 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I need to see more smoldering, burning, death and destruction! It looks a little too peaceful. I like the idea of lowering the point of view to be more on a level with the people, it brings us into the story. I think you DO need to add some things to the blank spaces...the orphan and ruins are great ideas. We need to feel that they are being burned/bombed out of their homes and are going to someplace they hope can provide a safe haven. I think maybe also bring in the background stuff a little closer so we can see the guy on the rock better. Maybe he's a bad guy in legion with the guys in the ships? How about some faces/emotions/reactions? What are the people feeling? Are they tired?..hungry?..desparing?..hopeful? Sorry for the outburst, just really like where you are starting from! Keep going!

TheTon
11-10-2004, 12:01 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4581/4581_1100044862_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4581/4581_1100044862_large.jpg)

I figured it was about time I got started on the actual pic... Thanks for your comments all of you. I have tried to take them on board...

So this time I have changed the angle and direction of the piece so that the viewer feels more involved. I will be trying to get across some of the emotion that the refugees will be feeling. I will also be including a ship or two and of course, the lizards.

Any comments would be most appreciated...

Cheers guys!

The Ton

elmasfeo
11-10-2004, 07:49 PM
:thumbsup: looks good, ton!

as for crits, maybe I would make the rocks at the left bigger and closer to the viewer, and move the city a little to the right so that the refugees look more like they are coming out of it...
I like the sky and the moon a lot, keep it up
good luck!

TheTon
11-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Cheers for the comments Elmasfeo!

I am still working on the actual landscape and I will be adding more bits... I'll definitely improve on the rocks though. I like the idea of the guy overlooking the dessication of his people... I will also be adding some more destruction and death in the background (just to please RobinAyles) and a lot more detail on the people as I need to get across the emotion in their expressions.

I quite like the sky and moon also so I will probably leave it as it is...

Cheers!

The Ton

PS Anyone else out there want to comment please feel free to do so... I need all the help I can get!

SideAche
11-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Personally, I have to say that I like the composition of the first one. I don't seem to lose the emotion in it. You might try flipping them horizontal to see how they read with the action moving from left to right. I really like the first one, there is a mystery as to who these people are. Good stuff! :)

robinayles
11-12-2004, 11:37 PM
YEA!! Death and destruction...bring it on, baby, bring it on!! :)

I love the look of this and agree with elmasfeo's comments. You still have time to play around with the composition if you want to see what it looks like if you do it the way SideAche suggested.

I love the moon and the colors and overall tone. Great job!!

zem
11-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Looking good!. You're really getting somewhere. Woohoo! The lizards are coming, you scared me for a second before I read what you hade written. Seriously though I think lizards is a great way to express some sort of culture as they will be domesticated animals.

I don't like the big planet in the sky, unless it is the reason for the migration. To me it looks to close and takes to much attention. Maby make it smaller. Or remove it all together. I think that the lizards, the alien rock formations and the people explain fully that we are on a different planet than Earth. It makes the planet in the sky a bit reduntant. Maby some alien desert plants on the far right in exchange.

I like the new compostition. Opens up for more emotion, and the line of people creates a great depth in the image. I like the colour of the sky. I think it adds to the sadness, and also purple is a common religious colour, which I think really brings out the grandness of the theme.

Keep it up!

TheTon
11-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Cheers for the comments folks. I am still working on the composition (when I can find the time!) and will be including some of your suggestions...

Robin, hopefully I will be adding some of the destruction that the people are fleeing from and maybe a farm or homestead in smouldering ruins.

Zem, I don't know what to do with the planet. I may keep it but reduce it as I still have to add a few ships... and watch this space for the lizards...

Sideache, as I said I am still working on the composition and am experimenting with various other scenes. Hopefully I wil end up with one I'm happy with. (Times running out!!!)

Thnks for stopping by...

See you back here in a bit!

The Ton

TheTon
11-16-2004, 10:30 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4581/4581_1100644215_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4581/4581_1100644215_large.jpg)

Here's a concept sketch for the lizards which are being used to transport what's left of the refugees posessions.

elmasfeo
11-17-2004, 11:11 PM
Niiice lizard! hehehe, somehow I was waiting for a velociraptor, but I think it's better this way, it looks very good!

the only thing is...I know it's just a sketch but I think you should make the "thing" the lizard is carrying some bigger, I mean, I don't need a lizard to move that, specially when it floats in the air... it looks like it could be moved with just two fingers...

TheTon
11-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Ha! I hear what your saying about the cart Elmas but I merely ran out of page!! I thought I could get away with it but you are as sharp as ever!

The lizards will be carrrying everything these guys own so it will be much bigger, but still anti-gravitational...

...christ I'm boring myself already...

I need to get on to the more exciting death and destruction bit...

See you in the next pic

The Ton.

zem
11-19-2004, 08:04 AM
YES! Lizards! I like the semi dino approach. Good luck repainting it in perspective later on.

Keep it up!

elmasfeo
11-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Ha! I hear what your saying about the cart Elmas but I merely ran out of page!! I thought I could get away with it but you are as sharp as ever!
ok, hehe, I guess Ipointed it out as a revenge for you pointing out the wind-thing in my thread:D heheheee...

I need to get on to the more exciting death and destruction bit...
oh yes! hehe, we all like death and destruction... :scream:

OKMER
11-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Nice concept and like the others i think you should do a more dramtic positioning of the camera.And put something into the left side of the image.
Keep m coming,and good luck:thumbsup:

y grint SpaceBra 2D:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=184953

element5
11-22-2004, 07:58 AM
neat idea :)

robinayles
11-23-2004, 11:18 PM
death....destruction....smoldering ruins..hee hee hee....Bring it on, baby! :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.