PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Robert Chang

Lunatique
10-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Robert Chang has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/view_entries.php?challenger=4580)

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: Tellurian Sky (color WIP)
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1106001107_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1106001107_large.jpg)

I'm sorry I let you guys down. I really tried, and stayed up all night, but there was just too much that's unfinished. I roughly sketched in the general feel that I'm after for the finished version, so you guys can see what it might've looked like finished. Anyway, it sucks that I couldn't finish it, but I did learn a lot and had fun working on it, and it's been wonderful sharing and learning with all of you. Good luck to everyone!

ZuraK
10-22-2004, 10:24 AM
It's going to be fun seeing your work Lunatique, its my first time around here, but i've seen some work you've done, and i must say its stunning. Keep up your beutiful work.

(Z)

Lunatique
10-22-2004, 12:40 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1098445254_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1098445254_large.jpg)

Tellurian Sky is an epic sci-fi/fantasy screenplay that I've been working on for almost three years. It is just right for this challenge.

My idea of epic space opera includes faraway galaxies, advanced technology, political intrigue, war, supernatural mystique, betrayal, redemption, vengeance, and characters that fight for what they believe in with absolute conviction. Tellurian Sky contains all of these qualities, and I tried to capture that with this sketch.

Lunatique
10-22-2004, 01:10 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1098447025_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1098447025_large.jpg)

Here's another sketch from Tellurian Sky. This one depicts Princess Ruu at the landing pad. In the background you can see the entire fleet of combat ships, the outpost (the circular space station), and a planet at the bottom left.

picksel
10-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Hi Lunatique! Welcom on the challenge!:)
I like the first sketch. I'm waiting to a color concept.
Good luck !

Belltann
10-22-2004, 04:51 PM
You got two really good concept-pics there. :thumbsup: But I have to say that the first one seems
more powerfull and personal. That fellow from the side is he inlove with the girl? Im waiting eagerly for some color concepts. :)

Godspeed!

element5
10-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Nice concepts, the first one does for me :thumbsup:

Luffie
10-23-2004, 02:52 PM
I like the first one a lot, but it seems quite common in sci fi novel though, the second one seem to be more original and creative... but I still like th e first one, nice princess... haha :)

Hillartsympho
10-24-2004, 07:25 PM
i agree, the first sketch is more pleasing to me, though there is a greater chance for narrative in the second one. i think that people aren't choosing the second one because there may not be enough subject matter n the forground or maybe its just less resolved in the sketch.

Lunatique
10-31-2004, 07:12 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1099206737_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1099206737_large.jpg)

Here's another approach--just the Princess by herself, distraught over the war, while an epic battle rages on outside of the fortress.

Peddy
10-31-2004, 07:41 AM
oh-ooh, not another one to keep my eye on =]. j/k

good sketches. you can definately see the time and effort of 3 years of screenplay work already being reflected in that first concept - you know your characters, your story and all its emotive characteristics.

im not saying 3 years of screenplay is the length you need to goto, but this people, is why writing a story helps.

good luck with this, ill be keeping ma good eye on this one.
Boy, how buzzed must you be that the latest CG networks challenge is so well suited for a pet project?

coCoKNIght
10-31-2004, 10:03 AM
There's a lot happening on those concepts, very promising. Style somtimes riminds me of luis royo... :)

element5
10-31-2004, 11:24 AM
another nice sketch, she has much sorrow in her eyes...

Lunatique
10-31-2004, 12:20 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1099225201_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1099225201_large.jpg)

This is a close-up of the Princess at the landing.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I like the first one too--because I like the movie poster look it has. Movie posters are great inspirations for this type of stuff.

Hillartsympho
10-31-2004, 12:46 PM
The narrative quality in the last one is great. Imagine how it would be if you had an obscured figure descending the steps?

PetriJ
10-31-2004, 12:50 PM
Oh NO it's you! You're too good to enter this challenge :)
No honously, welcome, and good luck.

Tranchefeux
11-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi,
Your drawings are too cool quickly the continuation.... :thumbsup:

Lunatique
11-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Peddy - Haha, yeah, when I saw the theme for the challenge, I was like, "This is TOO good to be true!"

coCoKNIght - Oh no! Don't say that! I don't like Royo's work much. . ..

Hillartsympho - Thanks for the suggestion! I think it'll look cool to have a mysterious figure descending the steps--it'll add a lot of tension to the scene.

Petri.J - Haha, thanks, but I'm nothing special. There are plenty of amazing artists that post at cgtalk--and many of them are better than me.

Nomad
11-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Hi! I saw your work already a year ago in the first Expose, you have a great style.
I whish you good luck... I`m sure you`ll come with awesome images! :bounce:

Tommy Lee
11-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi Loony!

Great to see ya in the challenge too:thumbsup:
For my crits: Excellent as allways. PERIOD!

Cheerz and good Luck

Tom

Hillartsympho
11-06-2004, 03:37 PM
glad i could help, can't wait to see whats next!

ChrisThatGuy
11-10-2004, 02:37 PM
I like the most recent sketch, but the background is almost overwhelming the characters. Maybe if they were larger in the composition? More dominant?

Looks like a fun narrative to work with.

Pierrick
11-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Nice to see you there Luna!

I'm P-Rik from Sijun!! One of your favorite french fan. :D
Just to say i really like your first atempt! This first posterlike sketch is beautifull.

Nice drawing!! Good luck to you my friend:applause:

Nekura
11-25-2004, 01:05 AM
Hi there. I really like your sketches, and can't wait to see more! :thumbsup:
(I've seen some of your other jaw-dropping work.. so I'm sure this will be really great)

uwil
11-25-2004, 04:20 AM
it's nice to be lost in the 2D section for sometime... and coming across Rob's is :eek: .

W-I-L
11-25-2004, 05:01 AM
I think i may prefer the first composistion. I might like the second if some of the characters wre a bit closer. hmm. anyway can't wait to see what is next

Buzzymonk
11-28-2004, 09:28 AM
good luck dude the concepts r lookin gr8

YeeWu
12-03-2004, 09:03 PM
I would have to agree with Pierrick and W1L. There's something really special about the first composition (it really feels epic to me :) ). I think you've really captured that movie poster feel. It's a bit different from what everyone else is doing, and it makes me wish I had thought of that for my own project!

techart
12-04-2004, 11:27 AM
yo man...whatsss up with you?...no updates ..nothing?.....bussy right?....just recieved D'artiste last week and I must say your work is simply amazing...waching your tutorials breathless...great technique you have...was kind of curious what you will bring for this one...maybe you'll bring something later here...cheers ..techart

W-I-L
12-06-2004, 07:45 AM
hey man...was really looking forward to this thread . . . don't leave us high and dry... where the update?

Lunatique
12-25-2004, 01:18 PM
I might have to forfeit the challenge. The PSD file I was working on became corrupted, and I tried various ways to fix the file, but it's pretty much hopeless. The last backup I had went too far back, and although I tried to redraw/paint what I had, it just doesn't look nearly as good as the original. Even the weight of the characters looks unappealing.

coCoKNIght
12-25-2004, 01:28 PM
That's sad but well, there'll be another challenge and many other possibilities for us to see more of your great paintings :)

Gord-MacDonald
12-27-2004, 04:57 AM
Very sad to hear. A huge loss for all of us! :sad:
If you don't have too many other commitments, maybe there is still time to pull it off - maybe from scratch?
Triumph over Adversity!!! :)

Gord MacDonald

Lunatique
12-31-2004, 06:15 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1104516903_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1104516903_large.jpg)

I decided to not give up, even though the file I was working on got corrupted and I had to redo a lot of stuff. I didn't make the last challenge, and I felt bad about it, so this time I'm going to try to get it in.

The finished drawing depicts Princess Ruu (most people know her as my avatar, or from the painting "Melancholic Princess") at the right hand bottom. She's wearing her fancy gown because there's a scene where the palace was attacked during a royal ball, and being the brave Princess she is, Ruu straps on her sword and joins her troops in the fight (of course, against everyone's protest).

In the left, we have a large image of the enemy commander--who was at one point Ruu's childhood sweetheart. The polar-opposite positions they find themselves in as adults is a stark contrast from how close they were as children.

Behind the characters on the bottom, we see the royal palace, and the grand entrance, lined with statues of guardian angels and energy shield arches.

On the bottom left, we have a few trusted members of the underground rebellion who vowed to resurrect the empire after it had fallen. They are in a sense, the only family Ruu has left after the empire's defeat.

On the top, we see a giant ring, made up of interconnected alien constructs. They are the source of the conflict, and the force behind the envasion. We also see lots of attack ships and armoured exo-troops, descending from the sky and carrying out a full-scale invasion.

llllllll
12-31-2004, 11:58 PM
I like the idea, it seems to like poster advertisment.www.boalis.com (http://www.boalis.com)

DL-
01-01-2005, 12:00 AM
Good story and great concept sketches -- can't wait to see more :)

Fahrija
01-01-2005, 03:25 AM
Hi Lunatique,

A great decision to go on and in my opinion the best approach to deal with such displeasing incidences. Fortunatly the deadline is not tommorrow - much room left to continue for a gifted painter like you are. Anyway at the end of the challenge you donīt have any reason to reproach yourself with not trying it.

The current composition looks devinetley epic. The characters are looking exellent - as allways. Iīm looking forward to see how the colored translation between the enemy comander and the background will look like.

maybe the shapes/design of the spaceship could look a bit more agressive by retracting the rounded lines and making them sharper.

Greetings
Fahrija

Lunatique
01-01-2005, 08:07 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1104566876_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1104566876_large.jpg)

I made some changes--mainly the location of the ring construct, added more ships, changed the size of the mothership, moved the Princess a little, and resized the enemy commander a little and moved him to the left so he's not so close to the center line of the palace.

I like the idea of making the ships more aggressive. I might make them more alien looking.

Blackarts
01-01-2005, 10:48 PM
It's looking good, the amount going on is crazy. You're a good painter, I'm sure this will be really nice once it's done...keep going strong like this.

cheers,

Daryl

Tranchefeux
01-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi,
Glad to see that you does not have to give up, your project is
rich a little as a poster of cinema, I hope that you will be able to
finish the colors because there is much detail.

Lunatique
01-04-2005, 12:06 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1104840410_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1104840410_large.jpg)

I've roughed in the general color scheme, although this is not set in stone. I might try different color scheme/lighting/time of day versions and see which one I like the most.

daadaa
01-04-2005, 12:33 PM
not a very good comment this would be i must admit so delete it if you must, but is it me, or does all these paintings that feature female characters possess the most perfect pair of you know what...and they are all more or less the same size as well!
sorry for that inappropriate thought there, but then again im still a kid, im allowed to ask stupid questions :P

btw great concept and cant w8 to see it all finished :thumbsup:

ecura
01-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Finally we get to see you great work. The only comment I would make is that the image looks a little bit flat with that front on perspective, maybe the full details are yet to be place in to grasper the dynamic look. Nevertheless the characters looks nice and has some kind of ringing tone of elegances. The colour combination are just as good. Great work... hope to see more of it.

Lunatique
01-04-2005, 02:06 PM
daadaa - I don't go out of my way to make the curves on female characters into monstrosities that defy reality. I don't know about you, but I think a healthy C or D cup is quite normal for a lot of women, and I sure have dated quite a few that were in that range, or above and beyond. I'm not one of those guys that puts DDD cups on my female characters. If you have seen my other works, you'd see that I always portray women with sensitivity and admiration--never as only sexual objects.

Remember, we want fictional characters to be attractive--it's escapism afterall. Why is it that main characters in movies are usually handsome, sexy, witty, intelligent, and courageous? Because that's what we wish for, but don't get in reality. You can turn this around and ask, why is it that female artists tend to draw/paint pretty boys, or sexy men that have beautifully sculpted definitions in their physique? Is it wrong for women to portray the kind of men they are attracted to?

If I was doing a portrait of an old man sitting on a porch, or a war-torn and bloodied soldier walking off a battle field--then I'm portraying something very different, with a completely different intention and aim--including audience. However, that's not the story I'm illustrating, and those are not the characters I have in my story.

On a different note--my wife models for a lot of my artwork, and she's pretty damn attractive. Take a spin around my website and you'll see my photography/paintings of her.

ecura - Yeah, I thought about the perspective issue too, and I might do some variations if I have time.

Tranchefeux
01-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi,
First juice of sympathetic colors, the girl is really sexy and it
with a very beautiful rib cage. :eek:

JasonChan
01-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Wow, this looks great! I can't believe I haven't seen this piece yet.

Not much to critique at this point... My only suggestion might be to somehow distinguish the villain from the heroes more. Before reading your discription of the piece, I thought the villain was the hero. Maybe find a way to tie him in with the attacking ships through color or something?

daadaa
01-04-2005, 04:21 PM
just realised who you were .... ouch (note to self, gotta be polite now!) .. yea had a look at your photography section... and i can safely say that sooner or later u can get enough boobage! and i loved your cemetary section(y doesnt hte UK have cool cemetaries?!)... did a project on graveyards not so long ago, and it reminded me of some stuff i did for that also shanghi17.jpg is rather cool, next time u go bak to china, go visit qingdao or tingtao(the beer!! wheee.. Ž.Ž ) anyway thats an awsome place.

im sure i cant exactly criticise your stuff as your quite a bit godlike... but heres what i think.. :P
anyway, your main guy with the sword, his left hand mainly the thumb looks to be arched too far back... or something but it doesnt look right and also the fact that hes missing a finger.... or even missing space for a finger :P

also one thing that i think this painting is missing is expression, all the characters seem to just stair into some unknown distance with no expression and expression in the characters for me is quite a big thing. no expression in a peaceful situation would be good but since u got a whole battle behind them i think it would be better if some more emotion is rubbed into it so give the baddy a "grrr" or something cus he looks quite cool and before i read the story, i mistook him for hte hansom prince :P. (like the painting that you did of that blond dressed in black... that face + the pose just makes you melt )

anywya thats my personal thoughts and i hope they help :D

Lunatique
01-05-2005, 02:50 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1104936624_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1104936624_large.jpg)

I went ahead and changed the composition a bit. My very first composition is very similar to what I have now, except I kept thinking there isn't enough background to depict the epic feeling, so I made the characters smaller and added a detailed royal palace behind them. However, as some colleagues pointed out, it doesn't look as good. So, I debated with myself for a while and decided that I'd rather have a stronger composition than one that tried too hard to cater to what I think fits the challenge's theme.

I've also changed the angle and the design of the mothership, as another colleague suggested that seeing its belly would make a more interesting angle. I agree--it gives the mothership a "towering over" feeling when you depict it from underneath.

I've started to fine tune the values, and once I get it close enough to what I think works best, I'll fade the line drawing, merge all the layers, and then start the final painting.

techart
01-05-2005, 02:57 PM
hey man...your pure Chang style.....great joc..can't wait to see it finished.....the characters looks like the char from your tutorial from the D'artiste......cool I mean....cheers ...hope to have time cause is not much left

Lunatique
01-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Tranchefeux - First time I've heard that about a ribcage. :D

Evil Gerbil - Hey Jason! As I told you in your challenge thread, I'm a big fan of yours. I've noticed you a few years ago, and back then, you were still a bit young, and your stuff was slightly green, but damn, you improved by leaps and bounds in the last few years. So young and so talented. You're gonna rock the CG art world real soon--in fact you've started rocking it already. :) I wish I was as good as you at your age.

daadaa - Yeah, I love sculptures, and cemetary sculptures are some of the best. I've never been to the UK. Those pictures are from a cemetary in Louisville, Kentucky.

I've heard that Qing Dao is very beautiful. I'd like to go one of these days.

I'm so far from being Godlike it's not even funny. There are so many artists out there that tower above me in terms of talent and skill. I'm just a second rate nobody. I mean, just look at Jason (Evil Gerbil). He's a good ten years younger than me, and he's lighting a fire under my ass with his recent works.

I actually posed for the enemy commander, and I think because i have double-jointed thumb and fingers, the hand looks weird. I should get someone with normal hands to pose. It looks like it's missing fingers because I had my hand curled around a bit.

I'll be painting the expressions as I go. Nuances like that usually surface in the painting stage.

techart - Yeah, my characters are pretty distinct. They've pretty much looked like that for at least 13 years or so. Sort of anime mixed with comic books inflence.

techart
01-05-2005, 03:18 PM
woooow,you've been 13 years in the field?....long time to go....but you seem more young there in pictures.....well...that's a compliment ..he he...cheers and way more yeras now and lots of good works from you....cheers mate

ihamid
01-05-2005, 03:34 PM
thats a magnificent compo u got there !:eek:! i like the colouring style u got there!
great work!:)

Arctis
01-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi,
Interesting pict you have, and good chara design.
I'm just a bit confused by the big character with sword, that breaks the depth of the scene : The foreground characters create an interesting perpective line to the background, but the blue man is breaking the movement.
Good luck !

KevinJM
01-05-2005, 04:55 PM
Robert I have always been a great fan of yours and i really admire all the great works you did.As a master painter you are considered among the best in my list. This is the first time i`m posting on one of your thread and here is my comments :
The first impression i had when looking at your Grand Space opera is that most of the attention is driven to the princess rather than the true aspect of the theme that is Grand Space opera , I don`t know if i`m wrong on that but i think that you should use colors which is not too bright for the princess and use a range of colors that attract attention to the real action at the back. Well correct me if am wrong. Apart from that i`ll once more praise your mastery paintings.
cheers:thumbsup:

Snotblow
01-05-2005, 05:45 PM
very nice work....

ChrisThatGuy
01-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Looking great. I can't wait to see the finished one.

Falcorr
01-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Lunatique

Color balance and the characters are top notch! :)
Semirealistic stuff very soft.

I agree with Arctis
Blue man is slightly confusing... Scariest guy, but who is he facing in that direction?
Besides he is blocking my view to beatiful city so he has to go.

Why not place him on the right as the characters build up in a row from left to right anyway.
So he will be part of the team. Also he could change the position of the chest and arms. He kind looks scary, but also exhausted. As he is leaning under the sword. Lower arm should be let loose from the shoulder as now he looks kinda cramped.

Oh well as usual. Dont listen to me do as you feel!
Youre great artist :thumbsup:

Lunatique
01-06-2005, 02:44 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105022675_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105022675_large.jpg)

I'm really torn between showing enough of the background or having a stronger composition. I did this version to see if a square aspect ratio might work. This gives me enough of the background, while keeping the composition somewhat similar to what I had before. What do you guys think?

Lunatique
01-06-2005, 02:51 PM
techart - I started working as a fulltime professional artist in 1991, right after I graduated from high school (I was a comic book artist back then).

Arctis - I'm going for a classic movie poster look, with that montage arrangement. That's why the big guy is there.

dean080580 - Princess Ruu is the main character, that's why she's important in the picture. I believe that characters are the most important things in any story. Without characters, you would have no story to tell.

Falcor_ - The lastest update shows more of the city. The big guy is the enemy commander. He's sort of the villain, but not really. I'm a firm believer that a truly great story has no real villains, only different dispositions.

walrus
01-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Lunatique - It's looking really nice so far. I like the shading, especially on Princess Ruu, and I know that it will just get better with refinement. Once you're going for a movie-poster like feel with the composition, might as well go the whole way and keep the movie-poster aspect ratio to the image as well. I think your first, gut approach to the dimensions worked well.

One are that's a little hard to read is the city in the background... Or rather, it's not that it's hard to read as much as there's a lot of contrast between the buildings and their bright windows, and they're fighting for dominance with the main characters who are much further forwards. Have you tried making those buildings more subtle, or more silhouetted, in order to stick them more into the background?

Anyhow, sure it's going to be fantastic (provided you have the time to work on it.) Good luck!

-mike

Falcorr
01-06-2005, 04:58 PM
I love the new city :)

But its upto you will you share the picture with the blue man and the enviroment.

If you want to show more of the world were princess Ruu lives keep the new square one. Btw square usually intimades lots of people. Dunno why, but i usually goes like that.:shrug:

Well the previous version had an advantage about the characters. Blue guy was above all the characters expect princess Ruu. So it almost feels like he has no power off influence for Ruu, but he regards all the others as puppets.

Just regard the new compositional issue as measure of the importancy of the blue evil guy.
Do as you feel like! Dont listen to me :thumbsup:

PatrickJensen
01-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Hey Rob,

I agree that your movie poster aspect ratio did more for the piece than the square one. To me, it's looking more cluttered now, which is mainly due to the extension of the city which is competing in values with your main girl. That would probably get fixed and work well...but I still think you should reconsider the poster ratio. The variety of shapes and silhouettes that you get are definitely more interesting than wandering around the square pic.

Just thought I'd through out an opinioin, and add that I really enjoy your work and photography, truly. Thanks for the inspiration.

- Jensen

MDN67
01-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Good progression, i like this image, especcially the paint of the characters, good work

Lunatique
01-06-2005, 05:32 PM
I think I might be able to remedy that by moving the ring contruct higher, and adding 1/3 to the top of the image--that'll restore the movie poster aspect ratio. Sounds good in words, but I gotta test it out tomorrow when I wake up. Gotta get some sleep now.

ArtisticVisions
01-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Just came across your image while browsing Recent Entries (while one of my scenes currently renders...); didn't realize it was yours when I clicked on it, Lunatique.

Love the composition and designs; really very little, if nothing, to critique about it. If I had to change anything on it, I might increase the height of the image and put the Space elements (planet, spacecraft, etc.) higher.

EDIT: Never mind: didn't read your last post. :rolleyes:

ecura
01-07-2005, 06:40 AM
Given these two options I personally would go for a stronger composition. Seeing the view in a different perspective often tells a better story and is more interesting to read. Adding details to the mid and background would be a quick way around if you are running short on time but that is still going to be flat. The more details you add, the more complex your image will be, as a result you may end up losing the story you want to convey. You have such fantastic illustration and design skill, and with that ability I'm sure you could push it further from what is now a great looking work to something the will blow us away. So far great work anyway.

Lunatique
01-07-2005, 12:25 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105100734_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105100734_large.jpg)

I've added 1/3 to the top, which reverts it back to the movie poster aspect ratio. More of the ring construct is showing now, and I've moved the palace a bit, resized the enemy commander a bit, and added a few more armoured ex0-troopers. I think I'm getting close to the point where I'll start painting it. If you guys have anymore suggestion, tell me now before I start painting it.

MDN67
01-07-2005, 12:28 PM
IT4S ALWAYS GOOD? THE DISPOSITION OF YOUR CHARACTERS IS VERY GOOD AND THE PAINTING OF THIS TOO? I HOPE YOU ADDED MORE DETAILS ON YOUR SPACE SHIP? WITH THIS YOUR COMPOSITION WILL BE EXCEPTIONNAL GOOD WORK? AIIIIE excuse mle for the weight of the letter

cgkrusty
01-07-2005, 01:48 PM
It's really coming along. I really like your characters and your rendering of them is very nice. I'll be interested to see how you handle the MG and BG elements in regards to detail, brush treatment etc.

Great job!

AirbORn
01-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Nice colouring on your piece. The composition looks interesting too! Looking forward to the final :)

JasonChan
01-07-2005, 10:39 PM
"I actually posed for the enemy commander, and I think because i have double-jointed thumb and fingers, the hand looks weird. I should get someone with normal hands to pose. It looks like it's missing fingers because I had my hand curled around a bit."

Now that you mention it, he does look like you :)

I think that the current composition you have is the strongest out the ones you've been playing with. The trick will probably be ballancing all of the focal points you have everywhere. Everything is competing for attention and you might want to tone some things down to allow things like the princess and the other characters to come forward. Right now the city looks like it wants to be a foreground element because it has a lot of contrast and the colors orange and blue (complimentary) which is really making it jump. I think some atmospheric perspecting will fix that right up when you're painting, though. With that pushed back, we can really appreciate your figures, which are the best parts, in my oppinion.

Can't wait to see how this looks :thumbsup:

daadaa
01-07-2005, 11:13 PM
awsome!!, expecially the characters as i just tryed doing ppl my self and it aint as easy as i thought!! and i cant w8 for the detail to come in... so hurry!!! :P

Lunatique
01-09-2005, 09:10 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105261822_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105261822_large.jpg)

Here's what I've painted of Princess Ruu so far. I try to keep her looking as melancholic and ethereal as people have known her as, but give her enough of a "I must lead my people against all odds to restore the empire" expression so that she doesn't look like a basket case.

gregpro
01-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Hey Robert!

How have you been my friend? It's nice to see you here too. Great idea you have going here, I love the close-up. As usual your rendering of woman is spectacular. I can't wait to see the final artwork. Go get 'em!

Greg

gregpro
01-09-2005, 10:05 AM
I've been staring at her face thinking who does she remind me of? Of course! Jennifer Connelly! Beautiful job Robert!

G.

cgkrusty
01-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Beautiful work!

Mmmmmmmm, Jennifer Connelly... must focus on crit.

Looking great, some wonderful painting!

Lunatique
01-09-2005, 12:21 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105273314_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105273314_large.jpg)

Jason - yes, it's going to be tricky to try to keep the eye from wandering around the image too much. I'm going to try to make sure at least value wise, I keep everything in proper hierarchy. For example, in this close-up of the enemy commander, I've put the value patches from the brightest values of each segment of the image.

1- brightest value on the Princess
2- brightest value on the rebels
3- brightest value on the enemy commander
4- lights on the palace
5- brightest wall on the palace

Right now, the palace is messy--too much contrast and colors. I'll have to mute it like you mentioned.

The scribbling you see on the commander is kind of a new approach for me. I usually just paint with whatever sized brush, but for some reason, I started sketching in the values with the Cover Pencil tool. I'll go over it with an oil brush later.

Greg - Hey man! You know what, ever since I painted the Melancholic Princess piece(my avatar), people have been telling me it either looks like Jennifer Connelley, or my wife, Elena. The truth is, I wasn't thinking of either of them when I conceptualized the Princess. However, Jennifer is one of my old time favorites. She's become gaunt skinny since she's had her baby though--but she's so yummy when she looks sad! It's those eyebrows I tell ya! (and she trimmed those too! Bushy eyebrows are like, so 80's. Hahahahahha.) Jenny will always be my favorite brainy brunette, along with Julia Ormond.

Fahrija
01-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi lunatique,

very cool youīve posted your color approach and the value ranges. And not forget to mention the very beautiflul painting (stage) of your main-character.

as yet I didnīt make any character images. to much respect of proportions and get it right. But every time I see one of your picture something says to me donīt dare to ignore painting characters. Your artwork is very much inspiring.

Fahrija

monsitj
01-09-2005, 02:28 PM
cool painting! and god , your are so fast! and thanks for your process , it's help me to learn painting!:thumbsup:

francis001
01-10-2005, 08:04 AM
Wow that is some serious composition wrangling. I see what you mean about the collage approach. I think it was definitely a good move to bump up the size of the commander guy. As with mine, it seems like a really good storytelling tool as well as compositional tool to tell people what's going on. I'm sure you'll get to it, but some atmospheric "knocking back" of stuff will help out a lot too.

Great work, looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

NathanielWest
01-10-2005, 08:19 AM
Great image so far! And the girl looks like Jennifer Connelly...or is it just me? Looking really really nice so far. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

snowkiwi
01-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Wow! I have to agree with cgkrusty because those were my exact words when I saw it. "Beautiful work!" I especially like the blue tint highlight on the princesses chest. Keep going Chang.

Donny :buttrock:

snowkiwi
01-10-2005, 04:12 PM
The closeup of the guy's face is awesome too. Great colors, I didn't know colors like that could be balanced together. Different and splendid.

Tommy Lee
01-11-2005, 04:48 AM
Seems everybody had time over the hollydays but me...hehe!

Great piece Loony... but didn't expect anything else from you anyway.:thumbsup:
Nothing to crit! Keep going...

Tom

Lunatique
01-11-2005, 03:47 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105458426_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105458426_large.jpg)

I painted the space, the planet, added a couple of moons, and started painting the ring construct, but I realized it would take me an eternity to paint the design I had in my head, so I decided to build the bulk of it in 3D (Maya), then use that as a base to work off of (see the next post for the 3D version)

Lunatique
01-11-2005, 04:43 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105461784_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105461784_large.jpg)

I used Maya to build the base for the alien ring construct (basically a loosely connect mass of monoliths forming a ring). I knew there must be a way to quickly generate what I wanted by using mel scripts and clever expressions, but I'm not a techie guy, and I hate dealing with that stuff. I ended up doing it all by hand. The steps were:

1) Made a cylinder reshaped to a ring.

2) Seperated all the faces, and moved/rotated/resized them randomly to get that loosely connect look.

3) Combined all the faces, made two duplicates of the ring construct, then rotated the duplicates so I get triple the amount of monoliths.

4) Duplicated random faces and moved them around the ring to create scattered monoliths.

5) Realized I forgot to give the monoliths thickness, I selected all the faces and did a Extrude Face on them.

6) Added four lights--one orange, one blue, two greens.

7) Rendered 4 passes for each lights.

8) Composited them in Photoshop.

Lunatique
01-11-2005, 05:17 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105463826_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105463826_large.jpg)

The alien ring construct is inserted into the image. Seems to look ok so far. I'll be painting all over the 3D base anywya, so it's going to look very different when finished.

praguer28
01-11-2005, 05:25 PM
A rich idea... a lot of details to complete, i hope you can finish! Good work!

snowkiwi
01-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Hey Rob, I think the atmospherey planet just looks awesome. It's perfect. Really great star field as well. By the way, did you refer to any tutorials when you made the star field/planet? If so could you direct me, us to them/it?
I would say though the new ring is a great idea but looks off from the composition's colors (and of course because of the crisp plain computer look.) I think the bright teal to the lower left of the ring is problem. It does match the starfeild and the planet but not the rest of the blacker and darker composition. So I would recommend taking out the teal and making the ring darker like in your original ring idea, Or maybe balance the teal by putting more teal in the empty area background of Ruu's left arm - to also enhance the balance of Ruu's focus compared to darker more unlit characters are.
My other critique is of course because you just composited in the new items that the more colorful top half is not in true sync with the darker bottom half.
Hope these critiques to do not discourage you, and really would like to see the piece finished. :buttrock:

Lunatique
01-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Hey Rob, I think the atmospherey planet just looks awesome. It's perfect. Really great star field as well. By the way, did you refer to any tutorials when you made the star field/planet? If so could you direct me, us to them/it?
I would say though the new ring is a great idea but looks off from the composition's colors (and of course because of the crisp plain computer look.) I think the bright teal to the lower left of the ring is problem. It does match the starfeild and the planet but not the rest of the blacker and darker composition. So I would recommend taking out the teal and making the ring darker like in your original ring idea, Or maybe balance the teal by putting more teal in the empty area background of Ruu's left arm - to also enhance the balance of Ruu's focus compared to darker more unlit characters are.
My other critique is of course because you just composited in the new items that the more colorful top half is not in true sync with the darker bottom half.
Hope these critiques to do not discourage you, and really would like to see the piece finished. :buttrock:
The starfield is actually not hard, just time consuming. You have to first gather a bunch of references to study. Just Google "astronomy photos" or something like that. Then, using the references a guide, you just paint in swatches/swirls of colors that you think will go with your painting. Then, blend them spontaneously together, then add more colors and blend more. Then, start putting in the stars. You can use a custom brush for that, or do a small patch of them in a corner, then stamp it all over the place. Make sure to have more than one copy of the stars layer, so you can blur/fade/erase some of it.

The 3D ring construct was just thown in, and I haven't started painting on top of it yet. I see what you mean though, and I'll work on it today.

JasonChan
01-12-2005, 07:05 AM
Wow, this is coming together amazingly! The princess is really coming out well. No crits at this point. I can't wait to see this all come together :thumbsup:

se7en-z3r0
01-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Off the hook. Love the montage style! You own.

snowkiwi
01-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks Rob for the tutorial. :scream:

stark3d
01-13-2005, 02:40 AM
that was fast from start to finish how long did it take
and happy birthday
32 your a pup next to an old Dog (40) like me.

Lunatique
01-13-2005, 11:00 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105614038_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105614038_large.jpg)

Started to fine tune the rebel girl's faces. I kinda like the looser brushwork here, and I might keep it this way.

Lunatique
01-13-2005, 11:08 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105614506_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105614506_large.jpg)

Changed the enemy commander's face. I didn't like how hard I had it before, and the contrast was too strong. This one shows the form of the face better, and you see his features more clearly.

Lunatique
01-13-2005, 11:28 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105615680_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1105615680_large.jpg)

Started to paint the mothership. The green comes from a nearby exploding ship, but it's not yet painted in here (but you see it in the sketch versions).

I'm almost sure that I can't finish the painting before the deadline. There's just too much detail in this piece, and I doubt I can hit it all before the 17th. I'm going to give it my best shot though.

Lunatique
01-13-2005, 11:32 AM
stark3d - Hehe, Thanks. I keep feeling like I'm failing in everything I do, even though most consider me still young. I mean, some of the greatest man ever lived have conquered their field in their 20's.

Belisarius
01-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Great image...

It gives a good idea of something big going on. I don't really know if the evil guy looks really evil, though...
Can't wait to see this finished.

Lunatique
01-13-2005, 12:42 PM
I don't really know if the evil guy looks really evil, though...

I think it's a bit of a stereotype that the opposing party in a story always has to be "evil." As a storyteller, I have always tried to portray the opposing party as people that have "different" dispositions, but not necessarily "evil." I think the best villains are the ones that you can actually empathize with, and can't condemn outright--it gives them more believability, and also adds more dynamic to the story and character relations.

3dRaven
01-13-2005, 01:32 PM
This piece is looking great. Love the character design and shading. Nice composition too. It's definitely gonna become a wallpaper on many computers once it's done :thumbsup:

JasonChan
01-13-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm almost sure that I can't finish the painting before the deadline. There's just too much detail in this piece, and I doubt I can hit it all before the 17th. I'm going to give it my best shot though.

Just keep at it. You still have about 3 to 4 days. Also, you mentioned liking the loose feel you had in the girls' face. Maybe you should just do the lesser elements loose and concentrate on the main content of your piece just to meet the deadline. Then if you have time, you can work on tightening those up. This way, atleast you'll have a "finished" piece by the deadline, even if you still want to work on it more. I really want to see this piece in the final judging - you've put a lot of love into it and it's looking great.

And I guess, Happy Belated Birthday? :beer:

KevinJM
01-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Robert stop thinking that you`ll not finish it. The more you think about it the more you`ll get frustrated and this will prevent you from unleasing your full potential on your painting guru.So please just forget about the competition and just concentrate on the paintings.You need not prove us that you are very good.We already know that , all we want is to have you side by side in the competition as without you it wouldn`t be that nice.So please just tell to yourself :I`ll just do what i have to do and leave the rest. We all know you`ll do it. Trust you on that man.:thumbsup:

The image is looking really very good .Keep it up

Belisarius
01-13-2005, 03:42 PM
On the one hand I think it is true that, in order to have a successful villain you need to emphasize with him in some way. On the other hand, even recognizably evil characters who are meant to be evil can turn out to be the "hero" for some audiences. Or really evil characters turn 180 degrees to the good side, like Darth Vader.
I think what I would have liked to say earlier on is that conflict makes a good story and although there is a recognizable difference of the characters I could not say where the conflict is. Meaning that they might even be working together.
Well, but then again, its all about personal preferences I guess. It might work brilliantly your way and I don't really feel as if I could throw hints your way. (You are still out of my league I guess.)

*Joins the ranks of the encouraging crowd to see the work finished...*

Lunatique
01-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys! *sniff*

My wife also said I should finish it, even if I have to paint things looser (which is never a bad thing anyway).

Belisarius - Never think that. All opinions are valid, and I certainly wasn't discounting your earlier comment--I was just explaining that the enemy commander isn't evil, that's all. It's very true that a sense of conflict is essential to this topic, and I think once I get all the attacking spaceships and armoured exo-troopers in there, with the explosions..etc, it'll feel a lot more intense than it is now.

YeeWu
01-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks for that breakdown as to how you created the Ring. It's a very interesting workflow that I would have never thought about doing!

Regarding the commander's face, there's something that seems a little odd to me about his facial anatomy. I could be wrong (I often am anyway :P), so feel free to disregard this. I'm not sure if I can really put my finger on it, but it seems like the upper half of his face follows a different perspective from his lower half. His mouth/chin area looks like it's receding into his face, and has a more dynamic tilt than the upper half of his face. I guess the only analogy I can really think of is the upper half is a person's torso, and the lower half a person's waist, and both are twisted against each other.

Of course, I could just be flat out wrong :P Anyway, it's looking really good, and I think you can finish in time too!

Geronimo
01-15-2005, 03:17 AM
Hi,
I like the colours. Colours composition is really nice. I have always the biggest problems with colours and lights. But that is simple and nice ! very nice

ecura
01-16-2005, 01:52 AM
Hope to see your work carry through to the end. A rough version can still look good, its a style. I would also like to extend my thanks for your helpful advice in my thread. Good Luck and I'll see your final work soon.

snowkiwi
01-17-2005, 03:58 AM
Hey Rob, if you did finish the final entry could you give us a link to it. :bounce:

Lunatique
01-17-2005, 05:59 AM
I've been struggling to meet the final coloring milestone and I'm afraid that even if I make the milestone, it'll be just within the deadline, and not enough time to get feedback from you guys. That really depresses me because I really value all of your comments and suggestions. I'll try my hardest to get it in at least enough hours before the deadline so I can get some feedback and make some changes.

Tommy Lee
01-17-2005, 11:39 AM
You can do it. Just keep it loose and add just details in major areas. Thats what I do, It's not the best thing for closeups, but hey... Unless you finish it(For the challenge).

After that you can refine it for hours and hours...:thumbsup:
Just my 2 cents

Cheerz buddy

Tom

ecura
01-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Lunatique, if time is critical I say go with your instinct. Prioritisation is now important. Stay focus focus and focus, its your work, we trust your judgement. If you carry through to the end, your going to be a super star! All the best and I'll keep my eyes open for the final work.

snowkiwi
01-17-2005, 09:15 PM
When do you think you will eventually post it onto your site? I really would love to see the finished piece, even if you did work on it after the Challenge has gone. :shrug:

Lunatique
01-17-2005, 10:31 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1106001107_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4580/4580_1106001107_large.jpg)

I'm sorry I let you guys down. I really tried, and stayed up all night, but there was just too much that's unfinished. I roughly sketched in the general feel that I'm after for the finished version, so you guys can see what it might've looked like finished. Anyway, it sucks that I couldn't finish it, but I did learn a lot and had fun working on it, and it's been wondering sharing and learning with all of you. Good luck!

ArtisticVisions
01-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Sorry to hear that; for what it's worth, it still looks great in my book (even though I work in 3D now, I have a fondness for 2D works).

Hope to see you enter the next Challenge; who knows, maybe we'll even be competing then?
(thanks to works like yours and others, my interest has once again returned to doing 2D CG)

ecura
01-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Hey this still looks great to me. You tried and most importantly you learned something, that means your the big winner. I guess I will be hunting around here and on your site to see the presence of your fantastic new updates. It has been very inspiring to watch this progress through even though its unfinished. Your work is a great motivation source that has already encouragement to think of some character design as a next big project. So a big thanks to you for taking part in the challenge.

Belisarius
01-18-2005, 07:05 AM
I think that is alright. It still looks great but having tried is what counts... ;)

Tommy Lee
01-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Beautyful image nontheless:thumbsup: ...

I hope I can see the image finished some day. Great work as allways!

Cheerz buddy

Tom

Squibbit
01-18-2005, 10:15 AM
dude, u do great stuff, sad to see you not finish.... smae with machineflesh?

next time if u even suspect u have as little time as you had with previous
contests , u put way less stuff in your pic.
2 characters at most and simple but original desings and a cool layout and maybe
u get to finish for once, yes ?

best of times for the future :thumbsup:

3dRaven
01-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Even at this stage the pic looks great Robert. You put a lot of work into the characters and they stand out nicely. They've got tons of character an don't look like carboard cutouts like in some other entries I've seen. Finish it up in your spare time.

Bravo for the effort :applause:

snowkiwi
01-18-2005, 04:30 PM
I think the ocean of light has a more majestic feel to it, and would really look great with a little more touching-up. Awesome effort Chang, we all know you tried very hard. Congratulations. Though it is not finished I'm sure you have learned a lot, and no painting time is ever wasted - it is good experience nonetheless.
I recommend from my recent experience, gotten from Brian Tracy's guidelines - a mammoth achiever and multimillionaire who writes 'goals setting' books and audiotapes for a living: 'Plan' out every day, and even every hour leading to the deadline; And 'visualize' it being done as well as the final piece when it is done. I think these two rules will help you out tremendously. In seeing your goal everyday you are less likely not to focus on them and meet an objective in a baby-step manner, leading to the last final more important triumphant step. I would love to see you succeed next time and hope the prior failures do lead to understanding your faults and succeeding the next time. Cheers Robert! To truly succeed you need to fail first. The true failure is not learning from your mistakes. :applause:

walrus
01-18-2005, 04:51 PM
It still looks wonderful. Robert. And iis the attempt and the taking part in the commuty that's the most important thing. Sure others got to submit final images, but only by putting their heads down, barreling ahead, and ignoring all feedback from others. Which is not the point of the challenges. You stopped to get the feedback, and the respect that comes from hearing it.

I hope we will at some point get to see this finished: Princess Ruu is too beautiful to go unfinished!

-mike

Tranchefeux
01-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Hi,
It's a pity that you cannot finish with the degree of completion
which you wished, in times, because the subject was really GSO.

Tommy Lee
01-18-2005, 06:17 PM
I think the ocean of light has a more majestic feel to it, and would really look great with a little more touching-up. Awesome effort Chang, we all know you tried very hard. Congratulations. Though it is not finished I'm sure you have learned a lot, and no painting time is ever wasted - it is good experience nonetheless.
I recommend from my recent experience, gotten from Brian Tracy's guidelines - a mammoth achiever and multimillionaire who writes 'goals setting' books and audiotapes for a living: 'Plan' out every day, and even every hour leading to the deadline; And 'visualize' it being done as well as the final piece when it is done. I think these two rules will help you out tremendously. In seeing your goal everyday you are less likely not to focus on them and meet an objective in a baby-step manner, leading to the last final more important triumphant step. I would love to see you succeed next time and hope the prior failures do lead to understanding your faults and succeeding the next time. Cheers Robert! To truly succeed you need to fail first. The true failure is not learning from your mistakes. :applause:

I think he is familiar with deadlines, he is a professional and paid job is first!

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

MDN67
01-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Always good pic, very good progress, the characters are amazing, very good work, go, go, go for the end

vrf
01-19-2005, 03:35 AM
Your "not finished" work still looks far better than many finished works I see on here. Just call it done and submit the final. You can polish it up for Expose if you like, but this is just lovely right now. (But I certainly understand the CG perfectionist in you.)

Ilikesoup
01-19-2005, 06:01 PM
What a tremendous amount of detail! I read early on in the challenge that this is a story you've been developing for some time. The bright side is that you're pretty near completing a drawing for it that you've worked on for three months. Would you have done as much if not for the challenge? Anyway, I'd love to see this once you've finished. Beautiful work.

Ilikesoup
01-19-2005, 06:07 PM
stark3d - Hehe, Thanks. I keep feeling like I'm failing in everything I do, even though most consider me still young. I mean, some of the greatest man ever lived have conquered their field in their 20's.

Fun fact: DaVinci lived a long life, but most of his works in art and science were never completed and many of his greatest discoveries (gravity, sun is the center of our galaxy) were credited to others because he never organized his notes. You're in good company. :)

Art2
01-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Lunatique, I really want to see this one finished. So I hope you won't drop it any time soon.
The princess looks gorgeous.

Finish it!

please... :)

snowkiwi
01-19-2005, 06:16 PM
I think he is familiar with deadlines, he is a professional and paid job is first!

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

Tommy Lee I am not sure if you mean either:
I think (Rob) is familiar with deadlines, (Rob) is a professional and paid job is first!
I think (snowkiwi) is familiar with deadlines, (snowkiwi) is a professional and paid job is first! (And made this statement from what I just said.)

I'm going to suppose you said the first one.

Absolutely Tommy Lee. I do agree that Rob is a professional and his professional career comes first, and he is quite knowledgeable about deadlines.

1) Please forgive me, I am not aware of Rob's current job and how it got in the way of this contest.
2) I was merely stating with these two rules he can excel and advance over his current success.

After all we are beings always trying to grow past our current barriers to to always strive to become more than what we are.

Dido cheers!

Donny

Norlan
01-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Quality work as always, Rob. When I first laid my eyes on the artwork, I immediately recognize that it's your same old style with the same old amazing sense of beauty. Especially the unique way how you draw women :D I can't really give any professional advices or opinions on the piece that I'm an outsider of the CG industry. Regardless, the characters and settings are very well-designed. Wish you the best luck in this contest.

snowkiwi
01-23-2005, 12:43 AM
Oops. Dido = Ditto :buttrock:

Lunatique
01-23-2005, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the encouragement you guys. Yeah, I wish I had devoted more time for the challenge and finished the piece, but I do have other things in my life that's takes priority--for example, I spent a lot of time building a new oil painting studio during the challenge, and that was more important to me and my wife. I participate in the Challenges because I love being involved in the community--it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. There are lots of artists out there that don't have an interest in being part of a community, and I think that's a shame. People like us are already considered outsiders, weirdos, eccentrics..etc by the mainstream society, and if we don't socialize among ourselves, we'd be pretty lonely, no? The internet has changed everything for us lone artists. Before the internet, you really didn't have a lot of chances to socialize with your own kind.

The truth is, I never expect to win in these challenges--not that I don't believe in myself, but because I know my style and the kind of stuff I tend to portray appeals only to a smaller minority of people. I know many of you also participate knowing that you'd never win, but that's not why we do it--we do it for the love and for getting involved. Our actions is what builds and maintains this great community--if we don't take part, it'll just dry up and wither away.

Tommy Lee
01-23-2005, 04:54 AM
Amen Buddy:thumbsup: !!!

Fahrija
01-23-2005, 04:08 PM
You hit the mark - I fully agree to your words.

best regards
Fahrija

Daniel-McMillan
01-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Robert Chang has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/view_entries.php?challenger=4580)

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: Tellurian Sky (color WIP)

I'm sorry I let you guys down. I really tried, and stayed up all night, but there was just too much that's unfinished. I roughly sketched in the general feel that I'm after for the finished version, so you guys can see what it might've looked like finished. Anyway, it sucks that I couldn't finish it, but I did learn a lot and had fun working on it, and it's been wonderful sharing and learning with all of you. Good luck to everyone!

You did a beautiful job Robert. :D

-

Qing16203
03-21-2005, 02:04 PM
good complex

but the composition of a picture

i like the 2ed one !

Daniel-McMillan
05-07-2005, 07:17 AM
You did a beautiful job Robert. :D

-

You never let us down Robert, your one of the few
striving for perfection in capturing the ever ellusive
spirit of the female - and through the shapes of her body
and the light that cast shadows thereupon - what could possibly be
more beautiful than her - her whose very soul - when mixed with mine
gives life to the future!

This is always a subject that should be taken very seriously, for
what we anyone do without our beloved lady-girl!?

:)

-

Lunatique
05-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Whoa! Holy Ressurected thread Batman! And by an old friend no less. Thanks for the kind words Dan!

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2005, 07:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.