PDA

View Full Version : Helping me to choose a Wacom Tablet, thx~

daniviva
10-22-2004, 03:45 AM
hi guys,

I am going to buy a Wacom Intuos3 tablet soon.
But I don't know which size I should buy: 4X5 or 6X8??
I want to learn painting and drawing in Photoshop and Painter.
Is the 4x5 tablet big enough? Is it true that the larger, the better?
If you were me, what important factors would you consider before buying a tablet?

Thank you ~

P.S. I am a college student, do you guys know any discounts in the Wacom online store?

-Vormav-
10-22-2004, 03:52 AM
Hey. I'm no expert on Wacom's (haven't even had much of a chance to experiment with mine yet), but from what I've read about them here, there's plenty of people that will swear by their 4x5s, and some by their 6x8s. I guess it really comes down to personal preference. Some prefer the greater resolution of the 6x8, while others have found the greater size to hinder their control of it.
I'd suggest trying each out for yourself first, if you know anyone that has one you can test out. A 4x5 should be large enough for you to create great work though. And since you seem to be on a budget, I'd suggest going with the smaller one for that.
I ended up buying from a local (campus) store, but I recall there being slightly discounted prices on studica.com and ...thecadstore.com, maybe? Don't recall exactly.

Raymi
10-22-2004, 03:53 AM
Go with the 6X8. The 4X5 is just a bit too small.

If you're a college student, go to www.journeyed.com (http://www.journeyed.com). They offer super discounts to students, and carry the new Wacom tablets.

-Ray

Hugh-Jass
10-22-2004, 04:07 AM
I f budget is abig concern gave you considered a graphire (by Wacom)?

Anyways 6x8 is what 90% of the art staff at the studio I left uesd ..one guy used a4x5 and one guy used a gigantic one

test drive the sizes if you can...

nafa
10-22-2004, 07:10 AM
I personally use a Wacom Graphire 3 6x8. Perfectly happy with it though at times I have to put it aside as it compete for space with the keyboard. If you have a cramp workspace, larger size will be less convenient than a smaller one. Using the 6x8, moving the cursor from one end of the screen to the otherwill involve arm movement. This may not be necessary using the 3x5, and probably the reason why some people gave up 6x8 for the smaller one.

One thing selfom mentioned in discussion about tablet size is you need larger tablet to physically trace larger original. Wacom is equipped with a plastic plate so you can slip original under for tracing. This feature will not be useful for users with access to scanners, but probably important in Wacom's early days.

If you go for the Intuos 3, you are going for the state of the art in tablet technology. Congratulations for your big budget. You will enjoy it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.