PDA

View Full Version : 8.0.1 update breaks plugins....

DMack
10-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Hi,

Having just updated to LW8.0.1, (from 8) I was rather dissappointed (that is such an understatement) to find that the HD_Instance no longer works fully (crashes when shadows are turned on). I wrote to Graham at HD who is aware of the situation......This leads me onto the question...Is this a LW error or a necessary fix to LW that has made some plugins now malfunction? If it's a LW issue...any news on when it's goning to be fixed?....IMHO it's plugins like HD Instance that make LW viable.

Another one...Tequila Scream. (very useful/vital in a pressured environment)...used to, under 7.5, allow for automatic content detection...really useful in a busy studio...now, under the 'super new' version 8....forget it! Not a chance! Another step back for mankind!

Messiah animate...Fantastic bit of software for animating....does LW tell it when an item is replaced? Not now it doesn't.....does it save the embedded MA stuff......oh only occassionally when it feels like it (can you tell I'm getting progressively more frustrated?)

Boy am I getting fed up with 'updates' (and they are serious quotes!) that just throw up more problems......Yes I'm grumbling....IMHO LW 7.5c was less stable thatn 7.5b, despite the long list of 'fixes', then came 8....then 8.0.1 and less and less seems to work!

When can we have a truley stable application....that works with plugins????

Don't get me wrong...this is not a LW bashing exercise for the sake of it ....LW has been a fantastic tool for me....I just feel it needs some very very serious tightening up to be the workhorse app that it has been in the past....LW5.6 still stands as the most robust version IMO...and that was a LONG time ago.......

Voxel57
10-21-2004, 10:41 PM
Hi DMack,

I have not seen any other posts on this in the LightWave area.
But that does not mean it's not there.
Have you mentioned this on the NT forums?
If you post some more info we can try to duplicate this problem. We just tried HD_Instance here and it worked fine, shadows and all.
Have not heard anything about an object replacement issue with LW 8
and Mesiah either. We will try it later.
So please let us know here or on the NT forums.

Thanks

Peter

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager
Newtek

P.S. You may have a problem with your config files.

retinajoy
10-21-2004, 11:22 PM
It's a bug in HD_instance. It crashes if any objects have transparency on it. There is a thread about at http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=27858

Voxel57
10-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Thanks missed that!

Peter

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager
NewTek

Paul-Angelo
10-22-2004, 01:13 AM
O.T. I noticed in your profile that you live in New Hampshire but work for Newtek. I am just confused since I thought they only had offices in Austin, Texas and Pessac, France.

DMack
10-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi Peter,

HD_Instance is I see known....

Tequila Scream, This issue is known to the programmer, it seems LW8 is the culprit here (though could be wrong as I cannot verify...not a coder)

With Messiah Animate, if you replace an object in the scene that is controlled by messiah, then it should inform messiah that the object has changed...and so update in messiah...apparently it doesn't.

With Messiah animate, when you save a scene with embedded messiah data, it seems to save it only sometimes (perhaps half and half....you can tell because the scene size goes up and down on progressive saves).

I stand by my comment on LW5.6 being the most stable release.

I appreciate that you have answered....that is to a degree re-assuring...now I want to see a 'super workhorse' version released.

Thanks

I just want to be able to work without pressing the keys lightly.

kangonto
10-22-2004, 10:31 AM
It's a bug in HD_instance. It crashes if any objects have transparency on it. There is a thread about at http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=27858
Apparently it also crashes when objects has reflections. It's a problem related to raytracing, i think.

Voxel57
10-22-2004, 04:10 PM
O.T. I noticed in your profile that you live in New Hampshire but work for Newtek. I am just confused since I thought they only had offices in Austin, Texas and Pessac, France.
Yes I am from New Hampshire but I'm working in San Antonio, Texas.

Voxel57
10-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Hi Peter,

HD_Instance is I see known....

Tequila Scream, This issue is known to the programmer, it seems LW8 is the culprit here (though could be wrong as I cannot verify...not a coder) I will check this out.

With Messiah Animate, if you replace an object in the scene that is controlled by messiah, then it should inform messiah that the object has changed...and so update in messiah...apparently it doesn't.

With Messiah animate, when you save a scene with embedded messiah data, it seems to save it only sometimes (perhaps half and half....you can tell because the scene size goes up and down on progressive saves). I'll check this out too.

I stand by my comment on LW5.6 being the most stable release.

I appreciate that you have answered....that is to a degree re-assuring...now I want to see a 'super workhorse' version released.

Thanks

I just want to be able to work without pressing the keys lightly. Yup 5.6 was a very stable release but I remember it taking a while to get there. Though LW was a much simpler product then, we want LW in it's current and future incarnations to be seen in the same light.
LW 8 for the most part has been much more stable than 7.5 (not an excuse) so we are moving in the right direction. Of course there will at times be issues with 3rd party developer's products. As these issues come up we are trying to address them by making a better effort to communicate with those developers.
We (NewTek) are determined to improve not only LightWave but also the process in which we develop and maintain it.

Peter

Peter Jespersen
3D Project Manager
NewTek

DMack
10-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Hi Peter,

Thanks again for getting back to me (feeling a little guilty now). I very much look forward to the next patch or release of LW....hey if it's super solid you could call it 8.6! I must say that it sounds to me like Newtek really are listening to their users now.

One quick question.....in the about box, I counted some 25 coders of LW? Are these really full time coders of LW???? If so WOW, I can only imagine that LW is going to accelerate!

David

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.