PDA

View Full Version : Character Animation, Cosmo Strikes Back!

acrouch
10-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Hereís the second attempt at some character animation with this piece of audio. I have reworked the key poses, as well as the in-betweens and passing frames. I hope I have been more successful at avoiding some of the more common beginnerís mistakes.

DOWNLOAD: 2.0 MB MPG (http://www.aresanimation.com/Cosmo_10-20.mpg)

Thanks, as always, for all of your generous help and encouragement.

Alex

Please visit my site: www.aresanimation.com (http://www.aresanimation.com/)

http://www.aresanimation.com/Cosmo_10-20.jpg

webhead
10-22-2004, 02:34 AM
I love Seinfeld. Now, about the animation: There is some nice energy here. I think the lip-sync was fine overall. What the animation needs is some secondary movement. When the character throws his arms out, they stop short as if his hands have stuck to some invisible wall or something.
also, there seems to be some derforming of the elbows when they bend; The arm seems to fold over too much like a hose. There is some potential here. Keep working at it! :thumbsup:

joe_morgan
10-22-2004, 04:25 AM
The first thing I noticed, is that you skiped over some vital principles of animation. The first was slow in and slow out. His hands really seemed to be hitting poses hard and mechanical-like. And on "time" and "trying", it seems like his wrists would break from such an awkard pose in the sense that his arms are thrust almost staight out from his body, and his hands are bent backwards to the point where his hands/fingers point almost straight down. The other main priniciple that I really didn't see too much of was follow-through and overlaping action (exept in his nose). He had no springyness to his wrist when he was hitting those poses as fast as he did, and his hands were already hitting a still pose before his wrists could catch up it seemed.
The second thing I noticed was that it seemed like he was trying to hit too many poses in such a short time. You have him holding poses on "All", "this", "time", "trying", "me", "afraid"", "was", "Cosmo"(1st), "Cosmo", "Kramer", "that's", "be", "now on", "I'm", "Cos-mo"(2 poses) - in all, about 16 poses. I think it if you just focus on the core of what he's saying, you could cut it down to 9 poses - "All", "time", "me", "afraid", "was", "Cosmo"(1st), "Cosmo"(2nd), "that's", "Cosmo"(3rd). Bare in mind, the poses don't all have to snap into place and be still. Maybe just let them flow seemlessly together, or relax after a short hold.
Another thing that I think takes away from this is the fact that he's acting just like Kramer from Seinfeld. Not that thats a bad thing, but to use Kramer's voice and have him act just like Kramer kinda takes away from your character in my opinion.
With all negativity aside, I think you've done a nice job with the facial animation and lip-sync.

acrouch
10-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the critiques! I appreciate the time you took to analyze my work and I can now see what needs improvement. I will definitely be making changes to the character's performance (fewer key poses, more smooth transition between them). I have just finished the process of replacing the IK in my character's arms with a brand new FK system. I hope this will improve the movements of his arms. I will test the new system by completing some exercises from various character animation books.

Thanks again,

Alex

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.