PDA

View Full Version : Grass??

zurfer
08-19-2002, 02:45 PM
Im curantly working on a oasis and it rcuires a patch of luminecent green grass in the middle of a dessert. Iv played around with Shag:hair for some time now and its getting frustrating thet i cant get it to look like grass, it just looks like a patch of green hairy dessert. Allso its quit hard to get the thicknes in the lawn like i want it you can see the ground through the grass. If some of you know how to do it with hair it an answer would be apriciated beacause of the easy dynamics capability but if yuo know a alternate way of producing great looking grass please drop a line.
It doesnt have too bee too realistic the sceen should be cartoony but it should still look like grass and be manageble to animate with. Bare in mind this is not a typical desert with a palmtree and some bushes its more like a part of a forest klearing that has been ripped out and put in the desert, so any information on making foilage that looks nice and is easy to work with later in the production is wellcome, Think A Bugs Life (specially the colour scheeme)But in normal scale

Thanx

Peter

Trion-5
08-19-2002, 03:20 PM
Not quiet sure if this the kind of grass that will fit your scene as described. However, this is a great tutorial. I suggest you play with the final light settings.

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/grass/grass1.asp
:thumbsup:

zurfer
08-19-2002, 03:52 PM
thanks, i couldent get the link to work but i found it after a little lokking around. It looks quite good you get more feeling of the individual strands than with hair but its much harder to get it to interact with a characters foot and it seems as thou you can see the groundplane thru the grass but its just coloured green and if you increase the geometry the sceen might be to heavy to work with. Ill try it out thou and see for my self. Ill post later on with some test samplas of were i am at the moment, just gotta get home to my own computer were the pix are.

greatly appriciated.

Peter

zurfer
08-19-2002, 07:16 PM
here is a test render.
This one is were im at now, after redoing the grass with shag fur instead of hair wich I used before. Also I have used mor clumpind and randomness on the strand so i dont have to use a moss layer underneath to cover the ground. Im rally trying to get the background to fit the character design. Please excuse the poor lighting (oly 2 lights) the background is not even close to being finished so please if you have tips or comments there wellcome as long as they are justified.

tank you

Peter

Nemises
08-20-2002, 02:14 AM
Looks like a ton of fun :)

Grass is tricky, as you say if you go high poly distributed, then you'll run into issues with animating and heavey scene files...but it looks the best (in my opinion).

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.