PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Gimbal EditSphere in m:a 5?

secretalienlab
10-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Hello!

Is there any way to see the "real" rotational axis i the viewport?
And is it possible to change rotation order?

thanks

MoodyB
10-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Afaik, no :hmm: . I was told a while ago that this is on PmG's list of ' things to do ' ( should hopefully be high on their list, especially with new users moving from packages that don't have this problem ). Should be fixed in a future patch ' fingers crossed ' :)

I might be wrong in saying this ( if I am somebody will correct me :) ), but one way to work around it would be to use local coordinates and change the evaluation of the items angles to ' Quaternions ' instead of ' Euler ', so you don't run into gimbal lock anymore.

Downside to this is that editing curves via the graph editor becomes a no-no...

As to changing the rotation order ( I'm guessing you mean the order that the channels are evaluated in ? ), I have no idea unfortunately.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

secretalienlab
10-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the reply!
I need to use Euler, those quat.-curves are totally un-workable..
I have no problem working around the gimbal-lock, if only I can see what IŽm doing..
There must me some way to change rotation order?

ThomasHelzle
10-22-2004, 12:40 PM
No, not that I had ever heard of.

While the edit sphere looks like a good idea first, after some years now dealing with it I would prefer getting rid of it like yesterday. Working in XSI in this regard is so much more intuitive for me after just some weeks:
- It is highly preferable to have three specialized gadgets for move, rotate and scale. Arrows for translation make directly clear what direction is what. Rings for rotation have the same instant "ah - I'm in rotation mode" effect...
- Those gadgets have to show/reflect their current coordinate system. The lack of this in messiah is pure horror.
- It is very nice to have key shortcuts that work while you hold them down but switch back to the previous working mode when you release it. And if you press them just shortly, they are "sticky"...
- The mouse cursor shows exactly what will happen:
- clicking on an axis: change that single axis - cursor has the axis name attached (X).
- clicking between two axes: change that plane - cursor has both axis names attached (XY).
- clicking in the center of the axis gadget: change all three axes at once (...XYZ).
The above is for translation. When rotating, it works similar but in addition to the three rings to rotate, you get a fourth that is always planar to the view so you can always rotate in view space.
Absolutely intuitive - after 2 hours in XSI I had problems in Lightwave and messiah that I use for years :-)

P.S. For the quaternions, it would be better to just have one curve for all three axes in quaternion mode to work on the interpolation curve without going into the nasty mathematics...

Cheers,

Labuzz
10-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Yep,
PMG should reallly do something about this, this is a major issue.

Wegg
10-22-2004, 05:57 PM
I also agree. The edit sphere as it is right now feels very counter intuative. The new "modes" that were intended to help have only made it more complex. :-/ I hope the figure something out soon.

Sil3
10-22-2004, 10:55 PM
I also agree. The edit sphere as it is right now feels very counter intuative. The new "modes" that were intended to help have only made it more complex. :-/ I hope the figure something out soon.
I agree to, please get rid of the Edit Sphere.

secretalienlab
10-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Not exactly what I wished to hear... Just bought the upgrade to m:studio 2. Old softimage fan to.. loved soft|3d but switched to maya when XSI 1.0 didnŽt work. Been around different softwares ever since.. wish something would just work the way it was supposed to.
IŽll have to check that taron siggraph-video to get the motivation back up for messiah..

-keep animating..

To Thomas: Have you switched to XSI? Seems like youŽve put a lot of time and effort into messiah!? So soon after releasing AoN!!?

SpikeWorx
10-24-2004, 01:05 PM
I agree. The edit sphere is not intuitive. I would like to have something more standardized or an option to change the edit sphere.

ThomasHelzle
10-24-2004, 02:03 PM
"switching to XSI" is too big a word. I have picked LW and messiah from the 3D-Lottery years ago when they were hot horses and ahead of the competition compared to their price. 1999/2000 I dropped the limping C4D for that team. Now that LW is trotting behind the rest of the pack telling itself how fast it runs (wearing thick black glasses helps a lot with this!), I wanted to get something more rapidly developing in my arsenal, and XSI is the logical choice with that background and it's current price.
If messiah would be as robust and complete renderwise as LW/XSI I would certainly switch to it completely, using XSI as a modeler only (much better than LW for me), but this isn't possible yet.
I haven't seen a package that is "complete" so far, therefore the quest for the perfect app will continue... :hmm:

And don't fear, AoN:studio isn't something I will drop anytime soon :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.