PDA

View Full Version : 19" & 21" Monitors: Dot pitch question

Rasper
10-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding sharpness and quality of image on monitors.
I already know that the lower te dot pitch is, the sharper the image is, because the pixels are placed closer together.
But now that I'm looking around for a new monitor (my 17" LG 795FT is beginning to die on me, + I need a bigger screen).
I looked at 19" first, but I'd have to say it's quite tempting to be looking at 21" monitors as well :D .

But now my question:
There are monitors with .24 dot pitch, and there are monitors with .25 dot pitch,... but am I better of buying a 21" with .25 dot pitch, or a 19" with .24 dot pitch? I can imagine higher resolutions are possible on 21", but are they still as sharp as a .24 dot pitch monitor?
My current 17" has .24 dot pitch so I'm afraid I already spoiled my eyes so a .25 dot pitch will look blurry :curious:

ps: to give an Idea of what I'm looking at:
- Philips 109P40 (.24 dot pitch) 19"
- Philips 201B40 (.25 dot pitch) 21"
- Philips 202P40 (.24 dot pitch) 22"

Hope to hear from you guys
Thanks for reading!

brudney
10-21-2004, 05:56 PM
definitely go for the bigger screen size. correct me if i'm wrong, but it's basically impossible to notice the difference between .24 and .25 dot pitch.

CoolDuck
10-21-2004, 06:06 PM
I would definitely go for the 22" monitor, the P series. I have a 109P40 now and I LOVE IT! :bounce:

The display is cristal clear and colors are superb. The brightness is also very good. I wish I had bought a 22" version instead of a 19", I need those extra space, but love my Philips anyhow... :)

Rasper
10-21-2004, 09:00 PM
I would definitely go for the 22" monitor, the P series. I have a 109P40 now and I LOVE IT! :bounce:

The display is cristal clear and colors are superb. The brightness is also very good. I wish I had bought a 22" version instead of a 19", I need those extra space, but love my Philips anyhow... :)
Well yeah, I think I'll have that same problem, loving the 19" at first, but wanting more after a while ;)

I can imagine the 22" P-series rock, but they also are twice the price you pay for the 17", so could anyone tell me if the B-series is recommended either? (the 21" .25 dot pitch)

Hazdaz
10-23-2004, 04:38 AM
You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a .24 or .25 pot pitch screen. BUT before you buy anything, I would recommend you actually LOOK at the different monitors in person. Stuff like that, in my opinion, NEED first-hand account of what they look like - a review in a magazine just doesn't cut it for me.

Rasper
10-23-2004, 01:30 PM
You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a .24 or .25 pot pitch screen. BUT before you buy anything, I would recommend you actually LOOK at the different monitors in person. Stuff like that, in my opinion, NEED first-hand account of what they look like - a review in a magazine just doesn't cut it for me.
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I would recommand that to anyone myself ... but the problem is that in my town there isn't any big hardwarestore that displays a great variety of CRT monitors, especially not the 19"+ ones. I've looked around in the region and learned that most of the computer stores or electronic stores nowadays don't even bother anymore to sell CRT-monitors. It's all TFT :sad: But my quest continues :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.