PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on how to fix this

mdoyle
10-21-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi, I am really stuck in trying to create this effect and was wondering if anyone can help

I created a logo which will be used in an animation and am looking to create a certain effect. I have attached an image on what I have done and what I would like it to look like. The one on the left is the render and the one on the right has been modified in photoshop. I would like my render to look as near to the one on right as close as possible. I have not used shaders or lighting much in lightwave as most of my stuff is UV mapped and used for real time 3D stuff so I am very inecperienced here.

http://www.gdoyle.co.uk/images/Logo.jpg

As you can see I would like the white to glow which isn't the problem but getting the effect that the glass type blue surface is affected by this and will look as though it is glowing slightly from the brighter white. Ideally I am going to try and animate from one to the other, but will just have to fade it in post if I have too. I have tried using different transparency settings like from the whiskey bottle tutorials, I tried messing about with G2 but had never used it before, and to be honest I have spent almost 2 full days now trying to get it, and I just seemed to have hit a brick wall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

angel
10-21-2004, 05:13 PM
I would try using a reflection map for each piece, the silver on the bottom and the glassy square on top. You could also use a luminous poly on top of the scene to be reflected on the glassy square, set the luminosity at 500% or so.

Try using glow and corona as well.

hope that helps.

MattClary
10-21-2004, 06:33 PM
The item on the right looks like there is a blue glow coming from BENEATH the surface of the glass. Why not make a luminous poly beneath the surface?

mdoyle
10-22-2004, 09:23 AM
I was trying to get the effect that the glass was recieving the glow/light from the white part, which was why I was trying to get the impression that the blue part is more luminous round the white swoosh and fade out over distance. Someone told me to try and use gradients but as I said I am not very efficient or have never really used gradients but will give it a go and see what I can come up with, unless there are any other ways?

Cheers

IronGoblin
10-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Im not sure on how this one is built. Is the white wave a polygonal object or a map? If its a map, then you could add a new map, that has been blurred. Add this to the luminosity of the blue area. If you've made it as an object.. then maybe you could add a spot, render out a direct view of the wave.. and use this image as a shadowmap on a spot with lots of shadowblur.....

not sure if it would work though..

keep on truickin'

mdoyle
10-22-2004, 09:41 AM
No, its not a map, its all a model as there are points where I will be very close to it. I am giving the luminosity idea a go just now and will see how I get on. But I will also try and luminosity map on the top to see if that works. Never even thought of that :D

mdoyle
10-22-2004, 01:28 PM
What do you think? I tried messing about with some gradients and stuff, think I have 3 luminous gradient maps and came up with this. As IronGOblin said I ended up using a spotlight to get the circular refection over the top which just had a projection map and its no parented to the logo and rotates slightly when the logo rotates.

http://www.gdoyle.co.uk/images/J18Logo.jpg

The silver still isn't very good so I think I just might just ditch the reflection map entirely and mess about with specular.

IronGoblin
10-22-2004, 01:32 PM
looking good... you could try adding a small noisebump to your metal.. so that you dont get those sharp reflections... think that would make the metal look a lot better...

Keep on truckin'

mdoyle
10-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Yeah those sharp reflections are annoying me :) I could probably get away with it little reflection, but as I want this to animate I wanted the silver to like like silver/chrome as it animated and am having a bit of problems there too. I felt as though I have learned alot today anyways tho, but will keep at it

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.