PDA

View Full Version : LW Space Opera Challengers?

SirReality
10-21-2004, 03:38 PM
I know there are at least two of us... how many other CGTalk Lightwavers are going to try their hand at the Space Opera Challenge?

In the past some have written that they feel that at times LW is under-represented here on CGTalk. Well, here is another great chance to call attention to LW's features and the talent in the LW community. I don't have a lot of free time, but decided to try the challenge anyway. If I don't complete it nothing is lost. What is keeping you from entering? If nothing else it should be a great learning experience.

I hope to see your entries and wish you luck!

DigiLusionist
10-21-2004, 03:54 PM
I would love to try this challenge but Space Opera has such a HUGE scope that I wouldn't have the time. Unless I just really narrow it down. Yes. Perhaps I'll do that.

Remi
10-21-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm in. Actually going to try and finish this one.

otacon
10-21-2004, 04:06 PM
I might get in on this one too. Just trying to think of a cool idea...

Kid-Mesh
10-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Im thinking about it,

but OMG otacon....that CAT, it cant be real? can it?

KidMesh

IronGoblin
10-21-2004, 04:15 PM
I also have entered the challange... not figured out an idee yet though... time is tickin'

keep on truckin'

Shade01
10-21-2004, 04:34 PM
I entered the challenge, will be posting my first stuff this weekend.

monovich
10-21-2004, 04:45 PM
I would LOVE to get in on this, it's such a great challenge idea and the style frames they posted were very inspiring. Heck, the prizes are awesome, too. Unfortunately, we're doing a heavy Lightwave job at work right now, and every night when I get home and have spare time, I can't bear to flip open the laptop and start another project...
But this challenge is almost so good I want to quit my job just to compete.

-s

webshot
10-21-2004, 05:11 PM
I am in the 2d challenge. I have been drawing space sceens for ever. They just never make it off paper. But I have been playing with sketchbook so I am going to finally produce some digital art

angel
10-21-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm in, I like the first concept I posted but might not have time to finish it since I have to come up with 10 or so characters and that would be kinda hard for me right now with a full time job and family waiting for me at home. Will see...

Search for me in the 3d forum, I'll be posting 3 character designs soon.

RobertoOrtiz
10-21-2004, 06:38 PM
I am in...

Look for first sketches soon.

-R
PS Saludos Angel

Para
10-21-2004, 07:02 PM
I'm not sure yet, but if I get into sketching I'm quite confident that I'll make something for the challenge.

KOryH
10-21-2004, 08:25 PM
I'm in too.
ALL Lightwave baby!!!

igorstshirts
10-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Damn it... I'm in too!

angel
10-21-2004, 09:55 PM
I am in...

Look for first sketches soon.

-R
PS Saludos AngelHey Roberto!
he tratado de escribirte varias veces pero el pm me rebota por que tu inbox esta lleno siempre, he he, busy guy ;)

oh BTW i just posted a character sketch, make sure you all pass by and let me know what you think. I cann't wait to see what you guys come up with!

here is my thread.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=178466

SirReality
10-22-2004, 05:12 AM
Lightwave, woohoo! I'm glad to see interest in LW artists in the challenge. The work I've done on this challenge has already pushed what I've done with LW in the past and if nothing else will be a great chance to try some new things. And I'm only in the rough early stages still. By the time all is said and done I suspect I'll be pushing a few new tricks through Photoshop as well. Good luck, everybody, and have fun. Perhaps we can keep this thread active enough that we can use it for exchanging ideas on how to push LW into doing something great for our entries or for sharing techniques that might be of use to other LW users.

vonbon
10-22-2004, 02:28 PM
I can't stand work, whish i could lay on my arse all day, hehe Im in.

JCGA
10-22-2004, 04:49 PM
I'm in too, just sketches this far though. I shall commence the sweet LWavin' this weekend.

lardbros
10-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Just thought... i may as well keep up with lightwave contingent, and enter too. Not too keen on space as a theme really (too typical of CG i guess) but i love lightwave, and dn't have a job at the moment so what the hell... got absolutely nothing to lose! :o)

userBrian
10-23-2004, 04:39 AM
I entered too. My first challenge. A great learning experience.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4450/4450_1098336450_medium.jpg

My website www.cartoongate.com (http://www.cartoongate.com)

Para
10-23-2004, 08:16 AM
Hmmh, I just realized that most of my plans for this challenge is based on instances and I don't have HD_Instance (or any app for that matter besides Far Cry's demo :D) ...well, gotta render this in passes or something :wip:

I'm off, got some sketchin' to do ->

ArtisticVisions
10-23-2004, 04:22 PM
I'm in as well; still doing a few concepts yet, but I've already started doing some modeling in LW.
(my entry thread is at the bottom of my signature)

Good luck all.

rickycox
10-24-2004, 03:22 AM
Yep I'm in, I even bought a new Wacom to help me with the concept art. I've got a funny feeling though that it might take me a little while to get the hang of it.

TheAlfheim
10-25-2004, 01:22 AM
Hi All.....

I'm thinking of getting in on this one. I watched the last few challenges, and a lot of good work came out of it. I just need to come up with a good idea....

Following the theme of LW being under-represented, just as an idea, perhaps we should all make sure we explicitly say in our threads that we're using LW? Sure, its a shameless plug, but if people see good work, it cant hurt if they know it comes from LW, right?

Cheers,
Andrew

userBrian
10-25-2004, 03:53 AM
O.K. heres my Grand Space Opera thread, not just a link to a picture:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=179803
This is my first challenge.
my website www.cartoongate.com (http://www.cartoongate.com)

SirReality
10-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Things have been progressing well, although I won't be able to work on the challenge for a couple of days.

Generic modelling has been done for carrier-type ships for three different races. I've even slapped some sample textures on them and then did a test render. Modelling continues on what will be the image's foreground and then I will work on geometry for the black hole that dominates the sky. I also plan to model shuttles or other smaller ships for each race. After that I will work on fine-tuning things and really turning my attention to textures then lights.

I've already tried a new trick for this challenge. The silver carrier has a couple of areas with layered geometry. In the test texturing I applied partly transparent textures to the geometry. Because of the transparency you can see the layers and it gives the appearance of a lot of detail. The geometry was surfaced with "double sided" checked so that it would cast shadows correctly. This mostly works because there will be no close-ups of these ships and should hold up for animation just fine.

How are things going with other LW entries?

angel
10-26-2004, 08:05 PM
I'm still in the sketching stage, I posted 2 more character designs last friday. I have 3 more but they need to be inked before I post 'em. I also designed a couple of garments for the characters, also need inking. I still need to design the throne for the queen, the set and the background.

DeusManus
10-27-2004, 01:09 AM
well, im the new guy, both to cgtalk and lightwave, and im in. working 100% in lightwave. got some rough modeling done, nothing final. feel free to stop by my thread *points to sig* and poke fun at me, or whatever.

essencedesign
10-27-2004, 01:17 AM
I'm in also...sketches are done.. now ont modeling and such..good luck to aLL!

angel
10-28-2004, 03:46 PM
for whoever is following this, I just posted 3 new character sketches ;)

lardbros
10-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Yeah, im new to CG talk and have just entered too! Not overly keen on my idea at the moment, but am gonna go with the flow and see what happens!

GOOD LUCK ALL YOU LIGHTWAVERS!!!

SirReality
10-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Lardbros - I like your concept. Any idea how you plan to model the city in the background? I've been playing with the bevel tool and a basic shape (segmented square, flattened cone, etc) and had some interesting results. If you are interested I can tell you more about this technique.

SNoWs - Your character concept sketches are great. I bet powerful body poses can help get your point across as to what the situation is. Lardbros idea of using simple shapes to block in a body and its pose might be a big help in figuring out what those poses should be.

essencedesign - You sketches are also great. One question with the character on the beast... can the rider see over the beasts head so he knows where he's going? The model is looking good.

DeusManus - I like your idea using the window. Are you planning on putting more detail on your fighter models or leaving them "light" because there will be so many of them and they will be off in the distance?

userBrian - I like the concept of putting the viewer right on top of one the the ships in the battle. You can get a good sense of scale and put in enough detail on the foreground objects to make the image really interesting even after seeing it the first time.

CarlWahl - It's neat watching your thought process progress from one sketch to the next. If the sketches are an indication of what your final image will look like it should be really good.

Good luck to you guys and the rest of the wavers who have entered. Sorry I didn't get a look at all of your work, but the day is only so long. I will try to catch up with the rest of you later on. I think we are making a great showing for our community on this challenge.

I should be pushing my entry forward this weekend. I haven't been able to work on it this week and am feeling a little twitchy because of it.

lardbros
10-28-2004, 11:01 PM
Hiya Sir,

Im liking the way the lightwave lot are keeping it together! :) Thanks for the comment, i'm glad someone likes it. As for the city scene you've played with, i would love to see it, and can't say how much i appreciate it. The ones i did for my simple blocking out scene, were just VERY VERY roughly extruded and smoothshifted, but i would love for them to have a nice amount of detail, especially as they get closer to the viewer.

I'm really getting into this Space Opera theme, it used to be one of my least favourite genres, but after seeing alot of peoples work, the space theme just isn't obvious and stereotypical of CG anymore!! (hope i don't resort to lens flares all over my pic!)

SirReality
10-28-2004, 11:43 PM
Lardbros, I'll work on getting the material regarding my city technique presentable. What I've played with is the shapes. Texture work will still need to be considered although I've had some ideas.

Also, as a side note, I remembered the following site and figured I would post a link:

http://www.ap3d.com/betterspace/betterspace-tut-00.htm

Good info about space related Lightwaving that I think could benefit ANYONE in the challenge. Hope it is useful!

lardbros
10-29-2004, 09:55 AM
WOW! This help is invaluable... that website is superb, thanks tonnes for the link. I remember seeing those nebular tutorials years ago, but must have been linked to there from somewhere else.

Hopefully i can return the favour despite my pitiful experience of space and 3D!

angel
10-30-2004, 02:34 AM
yeah, those tutorials are excellent, they never get old. The box characters idea is not bad at all, I'll see what I come up for the set first. I feel like I'm falling behind...
BTW, I posted more sketches:D

softdistortion
10-30-2004, 05:03 AM
Hey Guys, curious if anyone would ever consider teaming up on one of these challenges? Unless I missed something it doesn't say you can't have a team does it? Anyway, just a thought from the I'd like to give it a try but realistically can't on my own. All the best to you Wavers in on this one :thumbsup:

rickycox
10-30-2004, 05:18 AM
Na bad idea :P

Q: Can we work in teams? What about pairs?
A: No, this is not a team challenge.
re: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=178328

softdistortion
10-30-2004, 05:29 AM
I did miss that...lol...I was sure I read the requirements ....selective blocking I guess:hmm:

flinder
10-31-2004, 07:00 PM
i'm in as well. i got married last week and have just returned from my honeymoon, so it'll take me a little while to get anything up on my thread.

i hope i'll have time to finish...

lardbros
10-31-2004, 07:05 PM
Congratulations :thumbsup:

Looking forward to some more lightwave goodness! :bounce:

Osynlig
11-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi! I'm in it too :) and i'm new to CGTalk too.

Nice to see such nice work from everybody :thumbsup:

Good luck to all Lightwavers from me too :)

FerryvD
11-01-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm in too, but i haven't had the time yet to get off.

But as soon as my wacom arrives i'm gonna test it with making concept sketches for the contest

KillMe
11-01-2004, 04:41 PM
heh i've joined in teh fun too =)

KOryH
11-01-2004, 09:14 PM
I just checked out some of the other LW stuff.
Great to see it!

I have put up a character wip in my thread, check it out

Yeah Lightwave!!!

SirReality
11-02-2004, 03:09 AM
Looking good, Kory.

My entry is stalled at the moment. I had been hoping to work on it this last weekend, but was unable to. That's okay, though, more weekends ahead and I will try to copy the models onto my laptop so I can work on them while I'm travelling. The laptop is okay for modelling, but I don't like to texture on it.

I picked up Leigh's texturing book and the book on lighting in LW8. I'm sure the information in these two books will have some impact on my final piece. Also while looking at these books I saw one on making Sci-Fi digital art. I don't remember the name of it, but it gave very brief overviews of using Photoshop, a few 3D apps, one or two environment apps (Terragen was one, I think), and some other stuff. The "how-to" parts were sorta laughable, but I found the book had inspiring work in it. I had bought a book like this covering digital fantasy art several months ago, again this was more for inspiration than the how-to.

I hope everyone else has had opportunities to continue their work and that they are progressing well.

SirReality
11-02-2004, 03:21 AM
Sorry, double post.

rickycox
11-02-2004, 03:36 AM
I just did an update, still trying to get the hang of my wacom. I might try doing some quick thumbnail sketches tonight, try and get some ideas for the composition. http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=178851&page=2&pp=10

joshcxa
11-02-2004, 11:24 PM
i would enter but i got an animation to finish...

maybe next challenge

SirReality
11-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Here is another tutorial that applies to the challenge:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/hull-plates/index.html

I found this by reading a post somewhere (spinquad.com? Here?), but I'm not sure where. I believe the author of the tutorial has entered the Space Opera challenge. Good luck, James, and thanks for posting the tutorial! Likely some of these concepts will find their way to at least one class of ship I'm working with in my entry.

As for a tip from me... If you are working with planets in LW and want them to look like they have an atmosphere I recommend edge transparency (found in the surface editor... advanced tab?). Edge transparency defaults to no transparency so you must change this. I've applied this to a BIG sphere with a solid texture applied to it and was happy with the "gas giant" look that resulted. Applying it to a partially transparent sphere (with a cloud texture..?) wrapped around your planet sphere should give a nice small rocky planet (Earth-like) look. Have fun!

ArtisticVisions
11-03-2004, 10:26 PM
As for a tip from me... If you are working with planets in LW and want them to look like they have an atmosphere I recommend edge transparency (found in the surface editor... advanced tab?). Edge transparency defaults to no transparency so you must change this. I've applied this to a BIG sphere with a solid texture applied to it and was happy with the "gas giant" look that resulted. Applying it to a partially transparent sphere (with a cloud texture..?) wrapped around your planet sphere should give a nice small rocky planet (Earth-like) look. Have fun!I'm actually working on something similar to that technique right now for my planets; I'm trying out multiple spheres to create more of the atmospheric layering that goes on in reality. Let you know how it turns out.

SirReality
11-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Here is some impressive LW modelling I stumbled across while looking at challenge entries:

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/view_entries.php?challenger=4992

I hope we can get KillMe into this thread to talk about his work a little. Great detail and obviously he has quite some skill with modeller.

I hope your entries are progressing well. I'm looking forward to having time to put into mine.

"Help your competition. The better they are the better it forces you to become."

zapper1998
11-05-2004, 01:55 PM
I entered the space challenge......

Michael

angel
11-05-2004, 05:21 PM
every waver here is doing a fine job so far. I started working on the queen, probably the most difficult model I have to make due to the elaborate dress. Lots of folds in the upper torso, check it out.

essencedesign
11-06-2004, 06:44 AM
haha...lightwave will take this one.. I just know it...so many great entrys ...lets kick some aSS guyZ..... :beer:

SirReality
11-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Those are some nice wrinkles, Snows. I'm hoping to get some more work done on my entry later this weekend. I also hope to send out some messages and try to get people working with LW entries to post relevant tips, tricks, or suggestions here. Maybe we can keep this thread alive as a generic LW community discussion regarding the challenge until it is over. This would help people with entries and others who just happen to read this thread.

Keep it real.

essencedesign
12-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Thought I'd try and revive this thread...how are all you L`Wavers doing with your entrys....do tell...do tell..... :shrug:

otacon
12-02-2004, 04:12 AM
I hope im gonna be able to finish. Right now im trying to rethink some of my designs....still have to texture too...ahhhhh too much to think about!:scream:

ArtisticVisions
01-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Thought I'd see how you all are doing with your entries. :)
(mine is going progressivly well; I think I might actually be able to finish by the deadline)

essencedesign
01-10-2005, 11:19 PM
just renderin right now...2 hrs per pass 9 pass medium .....8/24 pays per evaluation...total scene polys ...haven't counted yet but probably well over 10 mill....so layer rendering...big time...

tryed to "SplitRender" ...but I guess that LW still caces the whole scene then renders the selected aspect....or maybe I am doing it wrong....dunno...no time to be playing with it now unfortunatly.... :banghead:

SirReality
01-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Good luck to all of you who are still in. I signed up knowing my time was limited... and my time was too limited for me to complete my entry. I learned quite a bit from what I was able to do, and am looking forward to the next challenge. Maybe I will have time to finish one sooner or later! I hope all of you have enjoyed the experience and have learned from it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.