PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Chris Mayernik

ChrisMayernik
10-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Chris Mayernik has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

ChrisMayernik
10-23-2004, 04:48 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4504/4504_1098506915_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4504/4504_1098506915_large.jpg)

A quick concept of what the mobile base might look like. These are dropped from larger carrier ships.

ChrisMayernik
10-23-2004, 05:17 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4504/4504_1098508644_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4504/4504_1098508644_large.jpg)

This really is not the best concept sketch to go along with my idea, so I'l be posting more concept sketches.

Yes my story is terrible right now, but what do you think of the overall Idea?

A celebration is being held for the emperor, and a group of scientist
are going to perform the first human time travel in his presence. The
scientist step into the machine and say their good byes. it's a success,
but at the very moment they traveled into the future, history and future history was rewritten. A huge noise is heard, like thunder. A advanced race comes out of nowhere and lands on their huge buildings and reeks havoc. Nobody knows whats going on, until they notice that the ships that are attacking them have the same markings that their ships have. Thats because it's themselves from the future who came to destroy their ancestors and reign in their time.

Eclisod
10-23-2004, 05:28 AM
have to say, it's grandiose, even for a concept sketch. i'm definetely looking forward to this one. absolutely amazing!

siufay
10-23-2004, 06:48 AM
great sketch! I really get that grand scale epic feeling....can't wait to see the final product!

MechaHateChimp
10-23-2004, 07:00 AM
OMG... that concept is just hyper sick. I am in awe.

Lunatique
10-23-2004, 07:29 AM
That's a really nice color sketch! I like the perspective and the sense of scale. The designs for the characters at the bottom would be just as important as the rest the of image, especially that they are royalty--they always wear fancy garbs. LOL

DaVee
10-23-2004, 09:42 AM
amazing story, description is just an instant, but i think it could be a good start for a movie.
i like atmosphere of your sketch, it's terrific.

David. :thumbsup:

Tranchefeux
10-23-2004, 09:49 AM
Hello
Your sketch "Self destruction" is really super you should make large
things with him, Good luck for the continuation...

flyingP
10-23-2004, 10:29 AM
gorgeous sketch :applause:

duddlebug
10-23-2004, 10:49 AM
WoW!!!

What an epic concept!! The lighting is really beautiful... really evocative...

The idea sounds really interesting too...

R-K
10-23-2004, 11:35 AM
nice depth in that environment.. colors are a bit monochromatic but who cares at this point?

Base concept is nice too, maybe you could do just one huuuge base - I mean, it doesn't sound logical that there's dozens of bases.. ?

Spider-D
10-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Excelent Sketch ... I realy like the colors :D
excelent work. I want to see it, complete

newcenturydsn
10-23-2004, 01:51 PM
I love the colour sketch, how do you guy's do it so quickly?
i have a heck of time colouring in photoshop.......granted all i have is my mouse to use....
the use of space and perspective is awesome
can't wait to see where you go with it

:bounce:

Bars
10-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Love both the concept and color sketches. Somehow reminds me of SW:Attack of the clones, all the vehicles, ships. Ill keep an eye on this thread! Good luck!

Borro
10-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Well the concept looks amazing, but I would advise you not to make the end image so crowded ;). After all you're looking for an epic moment and if so many people witnessed it it won't be "the material legends are made of", but this is just my opinion. Anyway good luck!

element5
10-24-2004, 10:10 AM
OMG!! WOW!!....i love this one :applause:

Goodluck :thumbsup:

Hecartha
10-24-2004, 12:50 PM
at last i've found again your work! What a movie like lighting you used here! Simply stunning!

ChrisMayernik
10-24-2004, 07:33 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4504/4504_1098646404_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4504/4504_1098646404_large.jpg)

Heres my second idea. This concept painting took around 3 hours.

times point is located on planet Fen, It is said to be the location where time travel was discovered, hence the name.Even though time travel is banned throughout the galaxy and considered extremely dangerous, times point has become the science capital of the galaxy. eager students travel from all over the galaxy to come and learn how to control the laws of physics, prolong life, and become great scientist, or as the locals call them, "magicas". Floating in the sky above Fen, a great rotating city rest in the clouds. Legend has it that it's inhabitants live up to seven times longer because of the mysterious rotation. The city rotates as a clock would, the upper section according to the hour, and lower section according to the minute.

The flying city represented in my concept is not the final version.

I havent decided on a final idea yet, still brain storming. I'l start on my final idea probaly sometime next week.

MechaHateChimp
10-24-2004, 09:25 PM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the input on my work. Personally I love the two color concepts youve made so far, I think either one would look phenomenal when finished. I did some searching on the board and found your "Rescue" illustration... dude, youre like my new hero. Your color work is insane. I'll definitely be following this thread and look forward to further updates.

newcenturydsn
10-24-2004, 09:30 PM
i like the second painting, looks like it could be quite an ideal place to live.

Thinkin, the first one has much more impact, if you're thinkin' "operatic".... if that's a word.

lookin' good though, standing by on your next update

unitstudio
10-25-2004, 12:37 AM
Cool compositions and cool concepts there Chris. i would say that the first of the two you've presented is my favourite, simply because it conveys drama on an epic scale. I would agree with Borro that the composition needs tweaking in that the image seems crowded - as if you're trying to do so much with such a confined space. MAybe let your concepts 'breathe' a bit more - such an image is crying out for the extremely wide panoramic shot a la Ryan Church's mood pieces for the amassing clone army, which this reminds me of (and that's a good thing btw!)...

Great stuff!
-g

stevetwist
10-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Holy cow, your work is insane! I love both of your concepts, the image is already clearly presented, and looks fantastic.

I have to say that I am split between the two concepts. The first idea is the more epic of the two, and has an interesting story behind it. But so does the second. I really like the ideas behind the second, but I feel it would be hard to represent the back story by the image alone (although I am aware that the description is important here also).

So, I look forward to seeing your work develop, whichever piece you decide to follow up on. This is some of the most impressive work in the contest I've seen so far.

element5
10-25-2004, 09:29 AM
No crits here :applause:

NinjaA55N
10-25-2004, 08:41 PM
I must say, that i prefer the first concept much more, than the second one. The second one is just too colorfull, although it has nice elements and great composition... especially that canyon in the middle is a great touch.
But the first one it seems it has all.... great composition, my eye fluently goes round and round, colors r best ever and those easy sketched spaceships in the sky even now looks realistic. Stick to that concept, please. The story will come in the end ;)

polybuilder
10-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Yes, the two images are very good but I like the second one better

Maybe it's the story. Great so far though:)

Tinselsnips
10-26-2004, 04:43 AM
I like the second one. It would look even better with a ship or something in the foreground to add a greater sense of depth.

ered dium
10-26-2004, 05:27 AM
One of the best sketchs. I prefer the first concept, I realy like the colors and the composition.

Blackarts
10-26-2004, 05:36 AM
cool sketch, it reminds me a bit of cloud city. I think it's a bit hard to tell what is going on...I think you need a focal point.

idiot box
10-26-2004, 06:27 AM
Nice, the first one is the best so far, the second one is nice, but I have a feeling you'll end up making something different, however I think you should keep your concept, but with a different image to follow it.

Keep it up.

duddlebug
10-26-2004, 06:40 AM
I love the 'painterly' touches in the second concept... but it is a little confusing. There's so much going on!! A stronger focal point would definitely strengthen the image...

Out of the two i'd still say the first one... i really like the lighting and the potential drama. But the the second one's a WIP so... hey... who knows... apart from you!! :)

I'll look forward to the next one...

Borro
10-26-2004, 08:11 AM
I have to admit I liked the first scetch better... Maybe because of the colors... But the second one ain't bad too... Well it's your decision...

ChrisMayernik
10-26-2004, 04:14 PM
OK thanks everyone for all the feedback. I've been working on new compositions for the first concept. I also have another idea in mind but I have not yet completed the concept sketch for it. the concepts are too busy, I agree with what you all say. When painting them I knew they were busy but because they were really early concepts I just wanted to put down every idea I had in mind. I like to make things busy and then figure out a way to make all the chaos work.

NinjaA55N
10-27-2004, 07:59 PM
I cant wait to see ur latest concept :)

hydrocell
11-12-2004, 09:53 PM
i think they are both good.. and i think bits from either would work with the other if yer considering a combination

Tranchefeux
11-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi,
I t'en taken the first "Self destruction " is the
best continuous top good progression

banter3
11-24-2004, 01:06 PM
I love your second sketch. you've got great detail in there and it looks like you've spent time developing it so why not go with it?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.