PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: andrew wrigley

w-jones
10-21-2004, 01:52 PM
andrew wrigley has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

w-jones
10-21-2004, 02:06 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4496/4496_1098367559_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4496/4496_1098367559_large.jpg)

I am attemping to take SPACE OPERA, very litteraly.

The idea is to invoke the grand sweeping tales often portrayed in grand Opera (think Wangner). These stories often contain themes of betrail or loss.

I have choosen to depict a critical moment of some future conflict, where in a critical moment the leader of the just and the good is betrayed by a general in his own side.

I mean to envoke the classical painting of the past to suggest that the viewer is looking at a painting that represents historical events. Using heavy iconography and symbolism to convey the deeper story.

This is simply a sketch with photographic elements (and Poser figures) to allow me to quickly play with ideas and composion.

The final scene will be an epic battle with landing craft in the background and swarms of troops littering the landscape (think return of the King !!)

I am battling with the composion (my weakness) so I am greatfull for any comments.

D pi
10-21-2004, 02:28 PM
It looks like you work hard so you're in the right direction

However maybe you are working too hard.
when thumbing or designing the space (compositional, not outer space) of your piece, I would suggest starting rough and small, working the entire piece at once. concentrate on forms, positive versus negative space. You should be able to do like 30 while you are watching a tv show, riding the subway or listining to a couple of songs... don't spend too much time on them, just get the essentials. shape is the important element and how it effects the pictorial space. For a good look at how this is done to dramatic effect check out Hitchcocks old films or storyboards, for something directly relating to your subject matter, check out Orson wells' Othello... you will not be dissapointed. Also Leutrec to see how powerful shapes can be.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.