PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Blaz Porenta

Pages : [1] 2

NinjaA55N
10-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Blaz Porenta has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/view_entries.php?challenger=4470)

Latest Update: Final Image: sunrise
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1105993311_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1105993311_large.jpg)

I think this is it... my final entry. The well known story I hope, about a first sunrise over 10.000 years... on a frozen planet.. A chaos, destruction, melting... final day of the civilization on that planet... Even that help is on the way, big motherships, which will evacuate ppl from this planet to another one, there will be many many casualties....

Thnx to EVERYBODY for watching my thread, giving me really helpfull advices and suggestions, encouraging me through painting process and giving me the power and will to finish this piece, definetely my best work till now.
THNX A LOT AGAIN! U R THE BEST! :bowdown:

NinjaA55N
10-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Hi guyz! I hope that i'll see a lot of familliar nicknames in this chalenge :)

Good luck to all!

BloodTaster
10-22-2004, 04:14 AM
hey man! good see you here!!1
good luck!

NinjaA55N
10-23-2004, 03:46 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1098542808_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1098542808_large.jpg)

My first sketch I put together. I hope it fits the subject, and that I correctly understood the instructions.
So... This planet lays in a galaxy, far far away from ours. There's a time of an ice age now for about 10.000 years, so "people" have got used living there till now. On the ground, there r frozen trees, but still green on the top, and there lives hostile nations, barbarian/monster/creature like. So the peacefull nations have to figure out how to avoid contact with them. Thats why they built a civilization on giant islands put on ice sticks, where they r safe.
They dont know heat of anykind, and they r about to experiance their first sunrise in a 10.000 years. The ice start melting... if they survive the impact of hitting the floor, would they survive a contact with downtown nations? and so on...
There is a pic, showing "people" on one of many sky-islands, looking melting the ice of another islands around... and the sunrise in the back.

Sorry for my broken english :)

Squibbit
10-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Crrrrrrraazy!!

Welcome Back , dude !

element5
10-24-2004, 10:28 AM
NinjaASSN: That is an awesome idea :thumbsup: love the colouring too.

NinjaA55N
10-24-2004, 02:55 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1098626114_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1098626114_large.jpg)

Here is my second idea... A planet, something earth like, with lots of population, was crashed, destroyed in a galactic war. But some pieces of that planet manage to survive. Now they r in a giant jellyfish, flowing in the space. The jellyfish is somehow a protector of that planet piece in it. Maybe I'll add some little hostile spaceships floating around, attacking and so on...

stevetwist
10-24-2004, 04:28 PM
I like the new concept, but I personally much prefer the first. It seems to have more emotion in it as the people can see thier world falling apart, and aren't sure what's about to happen etc.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see which path you take, but I'd really like to see the first concept idea be developed personally.

Just my $0.02

Shadow Seraph
10-24-2004, 06:36 PM
I like both concept... perhaps a way to merge them can be accomplished?

ChrisMayernik
10-24-2004, 06:52 PM
HI ninja. I really enjoy both of your ideas, but I like the first the most so far. One suggestion I have for concept sketch 1 is to move the large planet to the left some more so it is in the middle of the invisible diagonal line coming from the bottom right to the cities in the sky on the left. I know it's just a concept sketch so in the end everything might look different. Anyways Good luck!

NinjaA55N
10-24-2004, 11:34 PM
Thnx a lot for comments guyz! I really appreviate it!
I see that u prefer the first one... well, I have some more ideas which i will put down tomorrow and post it here. I just think, that the first one was seen for so many times, that its not original anymore. Not the idea of melting ice construction, but i mean the visual part.
Its enough time to make decision which sketch to develop further.. for now i'll just submit some more ideas.
Thnx again!

NinjaA55N
10-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Chris: That suggestion of urs, moving the planet to the left, is very usefull. I didnt think about it and i wouldt put it there in the final image, if u werent mention it. I also look at ur threat and its breathtaking... I post a comment tomorrow. I get to go to the bed now.. its 2 in the morning overhere.. zzzzzZZzzz... my eyes r hardly open :)

NinjaA55N
10-25-2004, 08:48 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1098733736_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1098733736_large.jpg)

Thats sort of update of sketch2. There is a giant jellyfish-like planet, traveling round the space... Here the jellyfish came too close to another planet (red one in the corner) and little spaceships, plankton-like attacked it.

Artie
10-25-2004, 09:10 PM
In my opinion - every next concept is worse than the first one. The first picture looks cool, have the space and is uncomplicated, which is its power :)

NinjaA55N
10-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Thnx Artie! I guess thats its better stop making new concept and stick to the old one... I'll probably go to the next phase with the first idea now. Make balance in the composition, choose right elements and colors than submit my conclusions :)

thnx again!

SteelPixel
10-26-2004, 05:47 AM
You have an interesting idea with the first sketch, personally I'm new here but the first thing I look for is originality, while I think the jellyfish/planet thing is kind of amusing I think it lacks the feeling of the first sketch, I think I essentially just repeated some of the posts before me but hey that's the way I feel! :buttrock:

unitstudio
10-26-2004, 06:05 AM
gotta say too that I much prefer the first one - it's really quite interesting, the composition is fine and there is so much potential. It's good to explore possiblities but it doesn't always mean your first idea is inferior to your next...in this case, that's precisely the situation.

keep it up!

-g

NinjaA55N
10-26-2004, 08:36 AM
Deal... i'll stick with the first one :) Thnx, i really appreciate ur opinions!

Artie
10-26-2004, 11:19 AM
ninja: Pleasure on my side ;) I am looking forward for the next step of your work.

element5
10-26-2004, 12:53 PM
NinjaASSN: I love the jellyfish idea and I love the richness of your concepts.....outstanding :thumbsup:

ardenrey
10-26-2004, 01:12 PM
Cool concept! But in my opinion the size of the city isn't displayed well.

NinjaA55N
10-26-2004, 02:29 PM
element5: thnx, but that concept will wait till i'll have enough free time to realise it. For GSO challenge i'll do the first one. Im glad u like it :)

arden_rey: which concept do u think? the last one? Anyway, thnx for ur comment!

Luter
10-27-2004, 01:00 AM
HI Ninja.

Maybe the first idea is a little bit more interesting, the BG history is inspirating and it seems you feel better with it. The medusa concept make me think to Moebius with "L'Incal"..remember ? I thought to use it too..and finally I decided to try to find something else...(and I find nothing...arh...a lot of things but piece of sh...)..Let's play your insane visions..:D ...(I must shut up I have nothing to show.).

hpslashluvr
10-27-2004, 01:06 AM
I think the last concept you posted isn't exciting enough, it maybe needs more contrast or something...but it strikes me as good, yet not dramatic enough on a "grand" scale

very nice concept work though

ymonkato
10-27-2004, 02:04 AM
Hey,

Your ideas are very nice and totally original. I agree that the first sketch is closer to the topic because I feel it's grandness compared to the other pieces. I really dig the little details on the first sketch around ledge area. It's close on its way, good luck!

newcenturydsn
10-27-2004, 03:19 AM
NinjASSN, i think all your ideas are grand, the concept of the first one is the most intruiging to me though, the planet starting to thaw, coming out of an ice age? Very original!
Like I said all your ideas are great, curious to see which one you choose.

NinjaA55N
10-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Thnx again for all of ur comments guys! I'll submit my next concept at the end of the week... its jutst too much other work to do beside this challenge. In my next concept will be some composition corrections of the first picture, more details, sketches and concepts of flying objects as well as of "people" and animals.

cgtalkmember
10-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Nice concept but i agree with the rest bou the jelly fish so far so good :D

anti-shock
10-27-2004, 10:40 PM
Yeah I also like the first sketch better.
It just has more of a grand scale feel than the jelly fish ones. :)

stevetwist
10-27-2004, 10:46 PM
I look forward to seeing your new concept NinjaASSN. Sounds like it's gonna be promising.

Glad to hear you're developing concept 1, in my opinion that was far far better than concept 2.

Genesisa
10-28-2004, 02:43 AM
good concepts, did you see the concepts of Robota? becuse i think you can get some ideas from it, they are very cool and interesting. take care man see you later

really like your work keep like that, and all of you, just remember to have fun, thats the all what really matters. bye

NinjaA55N
10-28-2004, 07:21 AM
Having fun is the main reason why I'm here :) I saw robota, the concept, the book, but I hope I'll come out with something original at the end. Just dont wanna to repeat.

Thnx to all of u :D

Peddy
10-28-2004, 07:24 AM
i dont think Genesisa is implying that you will copy, but inspiration is invaluable - not entirely necessary, but if anything gets creative juices flowing, bring it on!

Falcorr
10-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Hey NinjaASSN... thanx for the visit!

I like your first concept, but i also like that jelly because i get the feeling of space in it.

How bout showing the view from top of the about to be collapsed crystal building? That way you could play with massive GRAND horizon Also the view might induce some vertigo in people, but that is just my idea. You could also depict one building in the horizon being at even higher! Anyway dont mind me.. This is your work do as you want :)

In the machine flesh you got such wild pencilartwork seems like this time youre going with regular computer graphics style?

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Tommy Lee
10-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Heya Dude!

Good to see ya here,.. Love the concept with the Space-Jellyfish! I am not suprised that u come up with something like this when I think about your machinflesh entry.

Good Luck with this one:thumbsup:

Tom

screamingwing
10-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Hey man
interesting concepts but have to go with majority -the first concept had the most impact on me.
Good luck!

NinjaA55N
10-28-2004, 10:52 PM
Peddy: i know i know :) maybe i didnt express myself in a right way. I know that Genesisa didnt mean that I copy ideas from Robota... I just meant that I'll try to bring even something completely different from i've seen so far. I' sure have to study a bit more about Space Operas, coz I dont have a clue whats that all about. The only thing that I noticed familliar is Star Wars so far. Im more into horror :)

Falcor_: I appreciate ur suggestion and I'll most probably use it. The idea of a high camera view could bring more dramatic effect to the picture, and more dynamical as well.
I didnt choose yet, what technique will I use in this challenge. For quick sketches, computer was the best... it has larger undo history than my sheets and rubber ;)
I'll sure submit some of my pencil and ink sketches, than i'll choose how to continue.. soon!

Tommy Lee: Hey Dude to u back! :D I almost didnt recognise u, coz of ur "new" avatar. Than I saw that "I told u to noooooo" and it hits me :D Thnx for ur comment and hoping that u r in this challenge as well..

screamingwing: thnx! I'll do the first one... actually I'm already working on it :)

Ariyoshi
10-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Reallly love the Second Sketch, great idea, reminds me Great ATuin but is an innovative concept, maybe u need do a sketch more detailed, Sure its one of the best ideas looked so far here...

Nemein
10-29-2004, 01:49 AM
While I also prefer the first concept to all the other 2 you've made so far - I don't think you should just go dead on and stick with that concept; think it would be better to introduce more concepts, and explore some more, before finally settling down upon one. Just because the last two weren't as attractive as the first one doesn't mean any new ideas you might introduce will be bad.

stevetwist
10-29-2004, 09:27 AM
I agree with Nemein, that's a very good point. I think that if you have any other ideas rattling arround, get them on paper, and then see which you prefer. It may be that idea 1 is still the most appealing, in which case you would probably feel more confident knowing that it stood out over all your other ideas, than if a concept you didn't show could have been better.

Good luck, I know that chosing a concept can be a hard task.

MickW
10-29-2004, 09:46 AM
I agree with the majority about the first concept. It just has a much grander sense of scale and depth compared to the other two.

Having said that, i also agree that any other ideas you have should also be developed - you never know, one of them might come out even better than this, and futhermore, there could be some neat little ideas you come up with that can be included in your primary idea. Never hurts to experiment, after all ;)

NinjaA55N
10-29-2004, 10:11 AM
U have a point. Sometimes Im just a bit overamused with something, and than I blindly gp with the flow... And than I also have so many other things to do that I was really happy with the feedback and thought I can finish my piece. Today I'll submit a first idea quick painting, from a whole another view, not from the top side, but from the bottom floor. But I'll also have in mind searching for new ideas, putting them down and post them here for possible replies. Honoustly, Im still looking for something more shocking ;) its just that i didnt (have time to) find it yet.

Thnx for the feedback! It pushed me out when I was stuck :)

Ariyoshi
10-29-2004, 10:39 AM
And What about merging the two first concepts in one piece? Can be really astonishing.

NinjaA55N
10-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Ariyoshi: I was also thinking about that... I just didnt find a way placing a jelly-fish surface on a melting ice-age planet :) Maybe I'll think of something. Thnx

NinjaA55N
10-29-2004, 12:53 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1099050820_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1099050820_large.jpg)

Here is another update. A view from the underworld, where icebergs r falling from the sky (from melting frozen islands upthere), people and animals running away, saving thier lives. Arrows r showing the way of moving objects.

Squibbit
10-29-2004, 01:13 PM
hehe , those animals look so cool
u gonna add some icebergs breaking off the more distant
cities , too , right ? cause it would look better i think

carry on :thumbsup:

Tranchefeux
10-29-2004, 06:20 PM
Hello, There is poetry your tone last sketch I like that...
Good luck!!

stevetwist
10-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Hmm, the newest sketch is awesome composition wise - but I'm a little confused, as I thought that there were some real bad people in the woods, and so the other civilisation built on the ice things...right.... so how come they're also down on the floor too (or are these the bad people - just me gettting confused).

Anyway, I like the action in the newest sketch - but I actually prefer the emotion in the first one, where you can see the people watching their world collapse - that to me had a lot of power in it.

Sorry if my comments don't actually help with the decision, as I like both ideas.

NinjaA55N
10-29-2004, 10:39 PM
squibbit: Those animals r just to show the position on that pic. I just draw some quick sketches of a new one, something between termite queen and cow and a giraffe :) U'll see soon what do i mean. There will be a whole caravana of them.

Tranchefeux: thnx :)

stevetwist: Dont be confused about those little people... those r just icons so I made some sort of a composition and a plan where to put them in the final pic. But nevermind.. I'll mae another sketch, coz Im not satisfied with that last one... Like u've said, there is missing some emotions and power. Thnx for ur opinion! :)

NinjaA55N
10-29-2004, 10:47 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1099086419_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1099086419_large.jpg)

There r some doodles of a possible composition, but most likely noone will see what I meant with that ;) I chosen a composition in the bottom, which I will realise and submit tomorrow.
And there is also a sketch of an animal carrying downtown species on its back. Its an termite-queen-cow-giraffe-like animal :) It will be coloured tomorrow as well. Those animals will be placed in a caravana, disturbed by falling icebergs... more tomorrow :)

Tommy Lee
10-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Me looooooove!!:applause:

danielh68
10-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Really like the recent concepts. Look forward to seeing it progress to the next stage. Great work.

Luter
10-30-2004, 03:51 AM
Really well done !! The animal is a very great idea..good concept ..maybe you could zoom a little on him, with the perspective it could be really really great. I can feel the background behind the picture, about story, that gives your work a real depth, and about the work you put in it. The 4 pics on the side give a good idea about composition. Now you have to put all that things in one pic..with only the essential..like the fourth maybe (?) (in reviewing your work I'm just wondering if it's enough "space-opera", arh, I don't want to disturb you, I'm not sure that's all..this theme is so...huge-vast-deep..(in fact it's to make you slow down...) seriously, take care to stay in the theme of the challenge, I know space opera is not only ships and planet but there is some inevitable ingredients...just wonder ...I'm certainly wrong)

I would like to be at this level...hum.

Keep up Ninja, bravo.

Squibbit
10-30-2004, 04:01 AM
Those animals r just to show the position on that pic
duh,knew that,I was just kidding :) That big animal looks great!

Keep up the good work , dude !

funkbuttah
10-30-2004, 06:08 AM
I like your ideas Ninja, good creative juices flowing all through this thread. I know everyone is digging that first sketch and the subsequent ideas and sketches in that theme, but I really like the jellyfish thing. I think if you could juxtapose two of the cities together in one composition, one in the foreground and one in the background you would be able to show in grandeose detail, the foreground city, while showing the tentacles and things in the distant one. Just a thought. I really like the ice world one too. I like the animal concepts and that small composition sketch in the lower right of the concept sketch page it bitchin'.

stevetwist
10-30-2004, 10:06 AM
WOW - the new concept sketches rock - the composition is getting better and better.

I love the design of that weird animal thing, very original - and quite disturbing! Of the four new sketches, I have to say my favourite is the fourth, it keeps that great power whilst giving a much more epic viewpoint.

Look forward to seeing it enlarged.

element5
10-30-2004, 10:12 AM
Latest concepts are very cool, The creature have Dark Crystal look about them....love it :applause:

andreasrocha
10-30-2004, 10:37 AM
That last concept is really great. The creature looks great with the needlike legs and a heavy upper body. Quite original.

NinjaA55N
10-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Thnx to everyone for ur time and comments!

goli: thats what I was afraid of... that I will miss the main point of the challenge, follow my mind and get lost. I'll try to fix that in my next sketc, increase the epic and emotional part and include some more tech stuff. So it will be a bit more space-like.. i hope :)

funkbuttah: Im already working on joining my first concept with a jellyfish stuff.. soon :)

Thnx again to all of u, Im working on a 4. sketch composition now... updates will be soon!

kengi
10-30-2004, 03:22 PM
last sketch is really promissing. reminds me salvadors dali elefants. i would suggest more weird perspective on the first concepts. but i like all as is, just keep up a good work. :thumbsup:

NinjaA55N
11-02-2004, 10:19 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1099390764_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1099390764_large.jpg)

Here it is, probably the final sketch, which might become even a line art.
I was very busy in the past 3 days, so I didnt updating my thread. But I still havent forgot about the challenge so I was working on the composition and perspective of the camera view. Im finally quite satisfied with the result Im showing it right here.
The frozen city starts melting (as u already know), bridges and pillars r crushing and the first island collapsed. People (many tiny dots in groups) r falling as well, others panic. Flying ships (jelly-fish like :) for now) r taking off... In the back, the sun is coming up.

Finally something drawn with a pencil.. I missed that :D

Squibbit
11-02-2004, 10:50 AM
how about add ropes hanging from the cities and people climbing down or sumthin ?

good , original idea , this yours :thumbsup:

stevetwist
11-02-2004, 10:55 AM
hmm this is an interesting one....

I like the final composition, but I get a 'cluttered' feeling (I think it could be because there are only lines at the moment, and so threre's no fill/colour, which means things are harder to pick out).

It is obvious that a lot of time, effort and care has gone into this image, it is very detailed, and very precise, I'm v.impressed.

NinjaA55N
11-02-2004, 10:56 AM
A very nice idea Squibbit... Im just wondering if that will be possible to see (or even to draw ;)) coz the people r so tiny. hmm...
Im thinking of resizing the pic and give it a first plan as well. There is something missing that would make a pic more dramatic. Maybe I'll really add a first plan, where nations from the woods (bad guys) r watching that chaos from a higher places.. infront of a camera. Than I could use my giant termite-giraffe-like animals as well :) I'll draw that idea and show it here coz Im not sure that anyone understood what i've just said :D.. soon.

coCoKNIght
11-02-2004, 10:57 AM
But with this sketch the animals won't be visible :sad:

NinjaA55N
11-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Thnx stevetwist! I'll also put some shadows and grayscale colors to help recognise whats what in my next post :)

coCoKNIght: animals r coming up ;)

element5
11-02-2004, 11:34 AM
NinjaASSN: Final concept is great.....looking forward to more :thumbsup:

Peddy
11-02-2004, 02:00 PM
what did you use to draw it? digital or good 'ole paper?

NinjaA55N
11-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Peddy: its good old paper and a good old pencil :D no digital here exept Levels adjustment.

element5: Thnx man :)

Tommy Lee
11-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Maybe I'll really add a first plan, where nations from the woods (bad guys) r watching that chaos from a higher places.. infront of a camera. Than I could use my giant termite-giraffe-like animals as well :) I'll draw that idea and show it here coz Im not sure that anyone understood what i've just said :D.. soon.
Yeah, go with that one!:bounce:

Fahrija
11-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Nice sketch,

Do you want to integrate something in the background? Somehow I think there is a bit less information at the top of your page.

Im looking forward to watch growing your cityscape under the domes.

Greetings
Fahrija

NinjaA55N
11-03-2004, 12:45 AM
Fahrija: I dont understand ur question.. what u see in the latest sketch, this will be a background, coz i'll add a first plan later. Thnx for ur coment!

Tommy Lee: nice seeing u :) Thnx

OK guys.. Im going to France now, so I wont post till monday. I hope I'll have some time for drawing sketches of first plan and so on, so when I come back I'll have something to show :) Have a nice weekend!

KOryH
11-03-2004, 01:27 AM
Hey nice drawings.
I can't wait to see them in color.

shadowstarre
11-04-2004, 03:01 AM
That final sketch is really nice, it's got a tangible, believable feeling to it and the organic shapes are so pleasing to the eye. The little bit of movement pulls the whole thing together and it's great! My only suggestion would be to add some more variety to the textures you're using, but that's not very useful, is it... ^^

Fahrija
11-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Hi NinjASSN,

Excuse my unreadable english > the question was not that important. I just thougt your foreground has a lot of information and the background is a bit empty. Especially around the horizontline and above.
If you place some topography like rocks in the background, the horizonline gets some breaks. In addition you underline the impression of depth.

NinjaA55N
11-08-2004, 11:05 AM
KOryH: thnx man!

shadowstarre: every suggestion is most welcome and i'll have in mind urs as well :)

Fahrija: I understand now :) have a point, which I'll try solving with some backgrouind elements. Thnx for ur time, I really appreciate it!

OK... im back from the France, it was a great trip (BIO of industrial design) so I could do some more work for this challenge now. I really couldnt put anything during a trip, it was a painfull 13h bus ride to one way, lots of walking and sightseeing, so... I'll update soon! :)

Blackarts
11-08-2004, 07:34 PM
How about tilting the camera a bit so the horizon line isn't perfectly straight? That might add a bit more dyanicism to the compostion. Just a thought. I like the idea though - it's going to look good with color.

Zpexxo
11-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Hey!

This is turning out to look real interesting
I agree with Fahrija about trying to break up the horizon a bit
think that will make it more compelling to watch.

Only other thing i think is that it lacks a bit of contrast but i cant really tell i guess when there are no colors :)

Looking really great and grand !

Keep it up!

bigjoe
11-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Looks great! I would love to see the large jellyfish with this one. One little quibble, the falling platform has too long of a right ledge/walkway (where it snapped off from the adjacent ledge). Not sure if I explained it right. Minor though in an exceptional rendering.

bigjoe
11-10-2004, 05:31 PM
wanted to let you know before it wasnt a work in progress :thumbsup:

OKMER
11-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Really cool concept and indeed I agree also that it might give some more dynamic if the skyline would be a little less straight.
Maybe it could also be cool if there was some water in the depth of that hole.
So maybe we can see floating some parts of ice or town already in that water or virtual waterlike looking something(very strange word )
Sorry 4 my broken english.:)
Anyway really GREAT!!!
I'll be following this one with pleasure!!!

My grint Spacepra

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=184953

NinjaA55N
11-11-2004, 12:37 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100133424_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100133424_large.jpg)

Like I said, there will be a first plan as well, so today I was sketching some characters in my free time... did I say free time? Well, i had it about half of hour in a whole day, waiting my girlfriend. I just dont have time anymore, to comment ur works or reply to ur feedback at my thread. Im sorry.. Have a lot of work to do at my college and with my projects. Will do my best in a next few days.. Stay well!

newcenturydsn
11-11-2004, 04:24 AM
YICK!! Those last character sketches remind my of some kinda creepy bug I would NOT like to find crawlin up my leg or somethin'. Disgusting, wicked artwork, but still disgusting. ))not a big bug lover((
Keep em comin

NOOB!
11-12-2004, 06:17 PM
wow that is one excellent sketch!!!

Fahrija
11-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Hi Blaz,

I like the third alien on your paper. I can see it walking proud and elegant through your landscape. How will the feet of this one look like?

Greetings
Fahrija

element5
11-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Nice development on the characters, I know how it gets trying to find time. Look after yourself and keep up the good work :)

NinjaA55N
11-12-2004, 11:09 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100300997_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100300997_large.jpg)

This looks a bit too similar to dark riders from lord of the rings, but its just something to show my idea, not the final character... Like I said, there will be a first plan, with 2 or 3 characters riding on those giant termite-quin-giraffe-like animals (i have to name them... it takes too much time typing that expression every time :)). Coz it was a 10.000 years long ice-age period, the characters r like a frozen parasites, living and traveling on other animals backs to survive... thats just an idea about those underground characters, which have to be something special, to represent savage nations of a frozen planet and nations from my part of space. And of course, they have to be also a contrast to the background action and color scheme. Maybe I'll loose the red clothes... I'll see in a next sketch how it fits to the whole scene.
Placing them into environment I was thinking to make them very surprise and shocked in a way, when one of the frozen islands colapsed into the abyss (sketch no.5). Sketch with this and all of ur suggestions will come soon. Thats again just a quick sketch, made at the coffee brake.

NinjaA55N
11-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Blackarts: thnx for the suggestion, I'll sure try to use it in my next sketch. I really appreciate that u stopped by!

Zpexxo: the true contrast will come with the colors. I hope ;) thnx!

jbig808: i think that I understood what u meant... will do my best with my next sketch, but i dont promise any jellyfish there :) donno how to place it in this particular scene... yet. thnx

OKMER: Im not sure if I'll put water at the bottom, but there will be plenty of water anyway... the ice is melting, so there will be a lot of waterfalls and where the island is colapsing, there will be a mix of water and ice braking and making chaos... I hope I'll bring as much power to the pic that I imagine to. thnx for ur constructive opinion!

newcenturydsn: There wont be much bugs ;) just those big ones :D

NOOB!: thnx :)

Fahrija: I decideed that the 3rd alien will be used in my final painting. Im not sure what kind of legs it will have, but most likely something sharp and thin, for stable sticking its legs into the ice. Thnx for stepping by!

element5: hehe... I would really like if every day would have a 30 hours at least... so I could sleep for about 5 or 6 hours than ;) Work is killing me.. but hey, i enjoy it :D stay well!

NOOB!
11-13-2004, 09:04 AM
your designs remind me allot of salvador dalis work,creatures with long thin legs etc.

i like the hooded creature,just cos he has a hood doesn't mean it looks like the lotr characters heh,i wear hood..... i sure wasn't in that film.

only thing i'm not liking about that is the red colour,cos he looks like a cold creature...that wants to keep warm??? hehehe

great stuff.

stevetwist
11-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Great update - looking so cool. Your sketches are amazing, so detailed.

I wouldn't worry about lack of time, I too have that problem - school is heavy, but is more important than the challenge, so everyone has to prioritise.

Squibbit
11-13-2004, 11:38 AM
excellent characters , well drawn, too !

NinjaA55N
11-14-2004, 12:11 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100391060_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100391060_large.jpg)

Didnt have time to sketch another panorama view, so just another variation of an underground parasite frozen character which will be placed on those big animals back.

NOOB!
11-14-2004, 10:13 AM
wow, and the sparkles are excellent on ur latest piece.

stevetwist
11-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Superb - love the colours, and the design - very very cool indeed.

Tommy Lee
11-14-2004, 05:18 PM
outstanding... you really did a very good job on the crystal elements. Like the overall weight of the char. :thumbsup:

element5
11-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Nice concepts and nice idea comng along nicely :thumbsup:

NinjaA55N
11-16-2004, 01:14 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100610858_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100610858_large.jpg)

Once again, I post this pic, but this time as a lineart. I hope nothings wrong with that, coz i was already start coloring my pic, and I thought thats not necessary to re-draw the same pic one more time... Could anyone tell me if Im violating some of the rules? Thnx

NinjaA55N
11-16-2004, 01:20 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100611229_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100611229_large.jpg)

Ok.. I finally find some time to paint something. Its not exactly a paintover from my lineart, coz i slightly change the elements. This is my first step, there r still missing characters in the first plan (with that giant termite-quin-giraffe-like animal :D) and some other stuff in the backround to cheer it up. I already put some mountains to the bg, so its not so straight anymore, like many of u said. I hope it works for now. The colors r definitely not the final... right now its impossible to see that all that is in ice age, I have to work on that. But its hard while the snow and ice r blue/white, but the main light of a sunrise is a orange/red like... will see what can I do about that. Any suggestions r most welcome!

Nomad
11-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Verry cool concept :thumbsup: the creatures looks great :bounce:

Good luck!

taz23
11-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Super colors and atmosphere dude. I like the contrast orange-blue.

screamingwing
11-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Yeah your colours look very good. Jumping the gun here as it's your initial colouring but could do with more contrast. Still cool.

stevetwist
11-16-2004, 04:17 PM
AWESOME - Orange + blue = very very cool!

Now it's beginning to get colour etc. I can clearly see what's happening (unlike the line art, which is slightly harder to make out IMO), it looks really cool - can't wait to see the creatures start to appear in it.

SteveNewport
11-16-2004, 06:06 PM
super concept you've got going on here, I'm glad I ran into your thread!
You're coming along very nicely and I understand most every step. I'm not too sure I'm very fond of the flying jellyfish... :hmm: But I love the giraffe creatures, very strong concept.

On the issue of the character's red coat. You've got to think: In an environment where everything is completely solid-frozen, where might one get the pigment to dye their clothes red or any color for that matter? The only logical explenation might be using the blood of other living creatures or people?! Think about it that way. Maybe they don't use pigments and everything is gray?

You're line art looks fantastic (again, the flying jellyfish hit something weird with me!?). I might reconstruct it a little to make it a little more "grand." It's a great concept, but maybe a more expansive view of more destruction and falling islands would make it a little more dramatic. The Islands on ice-sticks is a really cool concept. I might think about it a little more, because human nature has idolized the sun into many different religions. Imagine this race that hasn't had a sun for 10,000 years to the point where it is either merely a myth to the people or totally forgotten. Seeing this bright, warm (which they've never felt and adapted to the oposite) glowing orb in the sky the people might either be scared of it or see it as a sign of the Gods only to realize it will be the cause of the destruction of their nation. Work with the character actions to see if you can demonstrate what they would be thinking at this very moment.

About the color of the snow and ice. It is really reflective and will merely be a refleciton of the atmosphere. I might recomend not having as of extreme of a sunset. Bright and warm colors near the sun, but around the edges of the top have it fade into a dark blue, that way you can reflect the icyness of it all. Work on translucentness as well as and how the light from this sun would project through the city. That will give it a convincing ice-feel.
Again, I might try and add more of these islands jutting out towards the horizon just to add some grandness to it, give it some perspective, depth, and a sense of scale so the viewer can see how immense and terrifying this would be

great stuff here, good luck

Fahrija
11-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Hi NinjASSN,

Cool! The shaped version gives a very good impression which way you to go. I really like it > especially if it comes all together.

I agree to Steve > It could be helpful to slow down the saturation or contrast of the red color a bit > just to indicate that sun is almost gone. That allows you to accentuate the white/blue of the ice. At the the shadow parts I would establish the blue color a bit more.
If you add some more reduced flat reflections to the ice surface you could underline its look.

Greetings
Fahrija

coCoKNIght
11-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Nice coloring!

About the problem with the reddish light and the ice landscape:
I see no problem there, you've already begun painting the shadow areas very cool and icy. As you'll start adding more detail this will show up much more than it does now, so it'll be obvious that it's an ice landscape. Especialy the cannyon walls can be made very icy.

Squibbit
11-16-2004, 11:45 PM
wowowow ! *exited bouncing* :bounce:

LuisNCT
11-16-2004, 11:59 PM
Even though your last post is only a color scheme I think that could nearly be a final illustration

Tommy Lee
11-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Way to go with that colorsheme. Very moody, mystirious, grand...:thumbsup:
I like your choice of orange and blue.
When I look at it, I have a warm feeling but I also now something is going to happen, something big, because of the cold counterpart.

Rock on

Tom

bolchover
11-17-2004, 11:46 AM
hi, I like your concept sketches. The characters are very imagaintive (eg crystals etc). The overall image is good too - although I agree it's hard to have the line art as the final composition as, if your like me, you may decide later on to delete one thing or nudge them round a bit or add something extra :) My only criticism is that the fierceness of the colours reminds me of a sunset more than a sunrise - but I guess on other planets atmospheric light etc might behave differently. But if you're still going with ice/snow, making the colour scheme more subtle would allow you more flexibility to show that (and its coldness)...

giza-di
11-17-2004, 01:45 PM
awesome colours, though i think a bit too saturated reds.it would be a shame to print this at less than a3 size:thumbsup:

NinjaA55N
11-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Many thnx to all of u guyz! I really appreciate ur time spending here, writing some feedback.

Nomad, taz23, screamingwing, stevetwist, Squibbit, LuisNCT, Tommy Lee: THNX a lot! :)

Steve Newport: Forget about jellyfish for now... It was one of the earliest concepts and its not ment to be in this final one... for now ;) The giraffecrature stays!
U've got a point about the red cloths color. There really isnt much of pigments around here, so it will left that idea behind. I'll think that way in the future. Thnx to remind me about that!
U also make me think about that the sun could be a God or something... The story could be that the sun is coming every 10,000 or lets say every 1000 years, and then it destroys all the civilisation by melting their cities and make a chaos. Nations do honour the sun and bows in the first plan of the pic, so the consequences will be minimal... at least they believe so... U really inspired me with ur post and gave me a lot to think about, to make my story deeper.
And im also rebuilding the pic a bit, to make it more grand... I completly understood ur suggestions and I thank u for them!

Fahrija, coCoKNIght, giza-di: Thnx for the snow/ice advices! :)

bolchover: thnx man! Im changing my pic constantly so at the end, there will be hardly recognise the pic from the lineart... hmm... I hope thats ok with the judges :/ I will desaturate warm colors and try to get sunrise color scheme more than a sunset one :)

OK, I will do a homework and examine that icy look and colors :) Thnx again to all of u!

SteveNewport
11-18-2004, 02:23 AM
haha, yes, I realized you replaced them with birds after I had posted, then was distracted and neglected to edit my post! But I'll reemphasize how much I like the giraffamite-whatever :p Sometimes it's inspiring and fills your brain with ideas to glance back in time a little and see the habits of the people who inhabited our world hundreds or thousands of years ago.

Love your concept, I look forward to your progress!
take care

rusty_carr
11-18-2004, 03:13 AM
They look good, nice to see an orignal "threat" instead of the normal spaceships, and good colour schemes, maybe they need a bit more action in them? looking cool though! :)

NinjaA55N
11-18-2004, 09:02 AM
Steve Newport: Thnx again for stoping by :)

rusty_carr: Thnx for ur comment! There will be plenty of action going on, its just that I'd like to paint an environment first, to get the feeling of the whole scene. And like I said, Im planing to put characters in action and lots of chaotic happening. Soon I'll update my thread with a bit changed canvas and with more elements.

NinjaA55N
11-19-2004, 11:27 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100863652_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100863652_large.jpg)

Ok... I tried to make it more grand, so I resized the canvas size, brought more elements to the pic, made it more dark. Most of new elements I putted in (mashroom-like city, blue lights, brifge in the first plan, etc) r just a sketch like. They will be more developed in the future. Im still planing to desaturate the orange color to bring more icy look into the image and I'll add more sprinkels and other little details to show its an ice age. There r also still missing people for which I dont know yet how to put them into the pic, to make it emotional and dramatic.. will they will runing away in the first plan bridge, trying save them self, will they bow to the sun and than I'll have to change the bridge to something else... I dont know at the moment.. For now I sort of like the dynamic and composition. And I'm still not sure that its clear to the viewer how big r the cities on islands. Help me with this one please.

LuisNCT
11-19-2004, 11:37 AM
You could try to put ground vehicles in the bridges. I say ground vehicles cause if you put persons they will be too little. Could try with some airship too.

Arctis
11-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Hi,
Nice colors and subject ! It really promisses .
Maybe it would be more "grand" if you change the perspective : why not try to see the scene from one of the island, with a white angle lens pointing towards the horizon ?
I think the problem of scale comes from the fact that every islands have the same size, there's not much depth. That's my suggestion... :)
Good luck

My space opera (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?postid=1730016#post1730016)
My website (http://www.hyperboree.com)

NinjaA55N
11-19-2004, 05:48 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100886499_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1100886499_large.jpg)

An update... There r desaturated colors in this version (its obvious), slightly changed concept with one bigger island in the front and more clear background. While the cities r melting, there r lots of waterfalls, water splashes and so on... and in the back there could be seen a big wave coming, which will be the last impact and final destruction of the civilization. I'm planing to put one spaceship in the first plane, flying to the camera, trying to escape that chaos. I know... I'm changing my story constantly... I'm just trying to stick to my first concept of a deadly sunrise. All other stuff will adjust to that concept coz of my short time available for this challenge.

LuisNCT: thnx, but I changed the concept a bit.. again. Anyway I'll put one spaceship into the pic.

Arctis: Thnx man! I dont have time to start all over with a new perspective (loooots of work beside this challenge :)), but I agree that all the cities mustnt be the same size... so I put one bigger one more close to the first plan. I think its much better now. Thnx!

AirbORn
11-19-2004, 06:45 PM
I really like these concepts. You have been making great progress, keep up the great work.

I also like the colours and a sense of "grand" to it. Perhaps adding some other structures in the background would help give it some unity to the forground, middle, and background. I find that your forground is disconnected with the background.

Graet work :)

Nomad
11-19-2004, 07:11 PM
Yes fantastic progress, the desaturated version is maybe a little "sad" but brings a new dimension to your artwork. I`m just not happy with this mushroom/building... in my opinion it just not fits here... and the lighted windows was cool in the other image... but thats just my thoughts... :D

Keep the great art :thumbsup:

hpslashluvr
11-19-2004, 07:38 PM
even if you are desaturating the bright colors the highlights need to be a lot brighter to "pop" out the pic

if there are going to be birds, i think there would be a LOT more than that...i see birds now migrating where i live and they are in such thick swarms...you'd think with the destruction and wave coming they'd be coming in hordes, yeah?

love the drawing so far

SteveNewport
11-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Even though my knowledge of color is not that great, I'll try and speak what I know.

The problem that you have with this image is that the colors are too muddy. When I look at it, nothing really pops out, it's all of the same dynamics and intensity. The first thing you need to work on is making a clear distinction between the warm and cool colors (lights and shadows). And see how you can use it to your advantage to draw in focus and lead the viewers eyes across the canvas and back again.
One thing to think about would be this. If they've been in an ice-age for thousands of years, there would be absolutely no moisture in the air, it would all be frozen on the ground. Clear blue skies. The only clouds that I could comprehend existing would be the very highest of altitude flat clouds that could maybe give some shape to your sunrise. So if this were the case, most of the sky except for the parts immediately around the sun and close to the horizon, would be a darker blue, i believe. One of the problems I had from the start of your coloring was I did not have a clear distinction of the horizon and the objects in the background, it was hard for me even to tell that there were mountains there. The skie would be less of the muddy orange and more blue I believe.
The shadows of the mountains and landscape would become closer in color to the blue of the skie the further it went out in the horizon. If the mountains were very far out, maybe the shadows would be indestinguishable, but the highlights around it's ridges and crevasses would give a definite shape to the mountain. It would just all be this flat orange.
I would leave the oranges and yellows, ie. where the sun is directly hitting, saturated in the foreground, and of course becoming more muted as it travels to the horizon. Focus on contrast, sharpness in shape and color.
Also, look at any photo with the sun in it, or better yet, look at the sun in real life. Our eyes and cameras naturally adjust to the light, so when there is an extremely bright light in our view, our pupils dialate and less light is let into our eyes (in other words, everything gets darker except the brightest of brights) So, the sun is in your image, and I think it would help you realistically express your idea if the entire scene, minus the parts of direct sunlight, were darker
I've included some referances to kind of explain what I'm saying
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/YNP_Mountain_Sunset_0008_3.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/ThunderMountainSunset.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/taosmtnred150dpi.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/sunset_mountain.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/Rockiespm7.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/piutemtnsunsetsmall.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/HopeMountainSunset2.jpg

On the issue of perspective, I do think it should be considered a little more. Maybe a view of someone actually on an island, so the viewer feels themselves on the island, see's how large these islands are, see's them in referance to other figures around the viewer on these islands, and sees the sheer power of the islands crashing down around him/her. If you've ever been on a plane, you'll know what I mean when I say, from a height, everything looks simply like a model or toy, no matter how large it actually is. Huge buildings and semi-trucks look like little child play-toys. The same thing with this. With this raised altitude, even if it were an actual photograph of a city going to ruins, it wouldn't look as large, scary, and convincing unless you were actually on the same plain as it was. In order for something to be grand, it needs to have a relationship with something that is not. Notre Dame, in all it's glory and grandeur could be floating in space with nothing around it and not be intersting or grand at all. It takes that building to be jutting up in the middle of the city, next to small houses which are still larger than the cars which are still larger than the pedestrians walking by to give it that sense of enormity and grandeur. Give the 'grand' things in your painting a relationship to something that is not grand, and make the viewer feel like he/she is not grand by placing them in a position to feel as such. When you place the viewer above it, you give them a godly position, out of harms way. They can sit and watch the destruction with no fear (no sense of grandness). If you place them on an island that is about to fall with multiple islands around them already careening down to the base below, the viewers going to feel a little differently.
I don't know if you watched any footage of the twin towers on september 11th. it was a horrific, scary thing. But did you get the sense of how bad it was with the footage capture by helicopter or by the person running away from huge clouds of smoke (that wouldn't look so huge from helicopters) on the street with hundreds more people being consumed behind them? Just rethink it, make some more quick sketches to see what works!
Hope this helps a little, take care!

NinjaA55N
11-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Steve Newport: a great bow from me to u :bow: U opened my eyes in many ways and I just hope, that I'll manage to put everything that u said into my pic. I'll do my best! First I'll doing some more on the composition, again resize the canvas, so I'd put some closer island into the image, the people and so on... than I'll go to the colors. Respect!

AirbORn: Maybe I'll put something to the background... For now its just a wave, maybe there will be a city under the wave in a future... Thnx for stopping by!

Nomad: the lights will be back later :) But the mushroom bulding stays for now... I like it :) Thnx for ur comment!

hpslashluvr: I will saturate some places again, but that will come later. Also the birds... Now the reconstruction of the composition, than colors, than details (birds and so on). Thnx!

SteveNewport
11-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Hey dude, I'm just going around to all my subscribed threads and posting this link.

It's an article written by Greg Martin (quite an accomplished space artist) about, you guessed it, space. It tries to convey the passion he has for it, the beauty and mystery it contains and just a bunch of inspirational stuff that I believe is very fitting for this challenge and I think it will help all of us. It has a wealth of hubble space images and images from other great artists (and their websites) So anyone reading this, download it and read it all, I believe it will be of help

http://ch.artofgregmartin.com/

take care

NinjaA55N
11-21-2004, 10:37 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1101033431_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1101033431_large.jpg)

OK... I resized a canvas size again, now to a4 format. I added some closer first plan, where will be some action going on (not fighting, but something will happening anyway... there wil be a life to help read the scale of the islands). I also completely desaturated the image and give it a blue color scheme... but just for now. I was confused with all those colors at the beginning of the coloring, so I will put back some warm lights at the end of the process.
Now ?m planning to finish those icy rocks in the first plan, than I'll resize the image from 1000px high (right now) to at least 4000px high to start putting real details into the image and start final coloring and prepare it for a print version.

NinjaA55N
11-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Oh yes... I forgot to mention it... Im planning to lighten up the sky a bit and due to that also the background... I hope I'll get more depth.

NOOB!
11-21-2004, 11:45 AM
this all looks incredible no crits here.

Arctis
11-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi,
I really like your subject, but I agree with Steve Newport about colors. But I'm sure you'll find a fine solution.
The cliff on the foreground makes me think of a huge wave, so I imagined that the scene could take place in the middle of the sea, like an offshore station. I know that's not what you represented, but I just tell you what I got in my mind...

Good luck !!

My space opera (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=185203&page=2&pp=15)
My website (http://www.hyperboree.com)

NinjaA55N
11-21-2004, 12:25 PM
NOOB!: thnx

Arctis: Thnx man! U have a good point there, but I just wanna not so smooth surface in the first plan. I think it makes the pic more stable that way. Anyway thnx for ur opinion! :)

Starzchica23
11-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Just wanted to say that I agree a bit about the discussion on the colors needing some tweaking, but I really like the direction your work is taking. I love the sketchy quality with which you handled the icey cliffs in the foreground, to me I can almost hear the crunching groans that the ice would make as it shifted in decay. Awesome!

element5
11-21-2004, 11:10 PM
I go away for a while and look at this, lots of experimenting....cool I can see this will look great. No crits nice stuff :thumbsup:

2kre8
11-21-2004, 11:29 PM
I like what's going on , but when I first looked at it it seemed like one of the islands is coming out of the water. Maybe you can have more pieces fall into the water, show more of the destruction.

SteveNewport
11-22-2004, 04:33 AM
I've been contemplating your picture for a while and I've thought about some things.
Do you get a clear image in your head if I were to describe the way ice breaks off from an ice-sheet landscape into the ocean? Starts as one solid landscape, then it slowly, with cracks, then eventually whole pieces make their way off... kind of like a large puzzle fragmenting apart. I think that would be a good visual to base your islands off of... without the water. Starting from the background ice-landscape, there is a city with domes or something, then as it gets closer to the viewer less and less pieces are attatched, and eventually, some islands are only attatched by long ice-walkways (which are probably breaking because of the sun). I think that, with all those supporting pillars, it would make some very nice textures and incricate intersting shapes and the pillars that these things are on extend down into an abyss, instead of water. Because I really think there wouldn't be liquid water, you know, with the whole 10,000 year ice-age? And it takes away from the grandeur to see the bases of these things... it's just right there, and you're like, ok. But if it were extending beyond sight, the height of these islands from the abyss is only limited by the viewers imagination. More suggestive and less obvious. The people falling into these things could be falling forever, you know? No one would know and they'd have to imagine (and naturally they'd imagine the worst, using the mind of the viewer as a vehicle for demonstrating disaster).
Here, again, are some pics of referance simply to help me explain. Just imagine those chunks of ice your islands, with no water, simply those huge pillars of ice holding them up from some unkown distance below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/Ocean.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/eecf3ac0671656.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/antice.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/junk/021213_arcticrivers.jpg

I just think that there's not enough of a transition between the land, as to why they're floating there? This way, maybe there was once water there, and the ice was floating slowly drifting away, the water somehow went away and left these pillars of islands which this race came to inhabit themselves upon.

I do like the cliff, i think. Definitely if you were to add some small people on top of them looking on at the disaster, that would be great, definitely showing some scale to things, you definitely need scale referances. Maybe even have this extreme foreground focally blurred out eventually. But again, as with the other things, I think it would look even greater and more pronounced if there was no water/ground there

these are all the suggestions I could muster up, use them at your discretion! You're doing great work

NathanielWest
11-22-2004, 07:42 AM
Hey Ninja,

I think this is going to be a great piece. I do agree that you are going to have to add some more colors, although I know you are in a preliminary stage. I think you should definitely focus on graphic shapes, as your value structure thus far is blending together too much in my opinion. Many of the example images posted by Steve Newport have a graphic quality where half of the image is light, and half is dark. Or half is warm vs. half cool. This is very important, and usually makes a piece stronger. These photos tend to divide themselves into two basic masses of value, which your piece is lacking at the moment. Think of the big shapes first, and remember to group your values as much as possible. I know you are going to make this a really strong piece. Keep going with it! I have a lot of confindence in you!

stevetwist
11-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Hi, your latest update is very very cool - I do like the colour scheme, very dark and gloomy... very epic... but also, gives the impression of being at night, which seems slightly contradictory to the content, as I believe you need the sun to melt the ice (Which wouldn't be out at night)... so I dunno how you can get arround this one.

Anyway, apart from that it looks stunning!

kaajey
11-22-2004, 09:39 AM
I llike hte icy scene PLEASE continue with it, it would be great great great great

I'm Subscribing

NinjaA55N
11-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Thnx guyz! Its so encouraging hearing so many advices or just comments. U r the best, I really appreciate it! :)
I will work on colors and lights later, for now, I'd like to get clear shapes of elements on the pic (islands, water, icebergs, background.. etc) and some amount of details, untill it'll fits my idea. Later than I'll doing just lighting and when the pic will work fine, I'll search for the right color scheme... I hope it'll work that way... So dont bother too much about lights and colors :) Im still not so skilled to do all at the same time, without mistakes which would make pic read incorrect, but Im learning that (at school mostly).

Starzchica23, element5, kaajey, stevetwist: Thank u so much! :)

2kre8: Thnx for this remark. I'll add some more broken pieces of ice(bergs) into the water... some of they will even still falling down. I'll do my best to read that pic correctly.

Nathaniel West: Thnx for stopping by! Ur words r always pleaseure to read :) Like I said some lines upper, I'll do that brightness values later, when I'll have the define shapes that Im looking for in my piece. I found myself some references which I think show that light/dark parts the best... and of course.. lots of Steve's stuff :thumbsup: Im so glad to have him here :D Thnx again!

Steve Newport: Every ur post is like a school class lesson. And it helps a lot so I really have to thatnk u to take so much time writing these posts. I see where r u pointing at with ur last post... I gave me some great ideas, not just how to make good textures but also how to show better the scale and perspective with those pillars and cracks. Hmm... I also get some ideas reading ur post what to do at the bottom of the abyss. Maybe I'll replace the water, or maybe I wont.. I sort of like the splash that the falling island makes. We'll see about that how it works with some other stuff downthere.
Thny again for stopping by, U r in great help :buttrock:

LuisNCT
11-22-2004, 03:07 PM
I like more your comp three steps ago, before you desaturated it, but I suppose that it rocks when you put some warm color and the rest of what you have in mind

Falcorr
11-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Just popping in its been a while!:bounce:

Nice progress. Oh it might be good idea to use some of those real photos for helping out the colorwork.

If you want to achieve GRAND space opera look... use hard perspectives and tighten up the shapes.. That instantly gives some bigger feeling to things.
I might be wrong... Hope you continue on :) Use penciljutsu :thumbsup:

Gord-MacDonald
11-23-2004, 07:24 AM
You have some very interesting concepts. I like the elemental themes ice, water ...
Some really promising work! I look forward to seeing more

NinjaA55N
11-26-2004, 02:14 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1101478487_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1101478487_large.jpg)

I didnt manage to try all of ur suggestions yet, due to work I have to do beside this challenge... Have to draw another 300 illustrations untill february :/ I hope I'll succeed finish everything.

For now just an update where I tried get the feeling of depth and make it more real, overpainting details that could not be seen coz of the distance. I also make some more details here and there, but nothing serius. The water will be full of small pieces of ice and ice pillars and thats it for now... I hope I'll manage to update this thread soon again.

Thnx to all of u for stopping by and taking time for put down some words. I really appreciate it! Thnx :)

Squibbit
11-26-2004, 02:50 PM
300 ?? insane ! for whom or for what are u makin the pics , if I may ask ?

And that update... eeeexcelleent !! :thumbsup:

NinjaA55N
11-26-2004, 04:15 PM
I have to graphically equip 4 children games completely, draw some stuff for books, completely equip slotmachines for casino games, etc... lots of work and fun :bounce:

Im glad u like the pic :)

Squibbit
11-26-2004, 04:31 PM
umm... don't go with your machineflesh entry style for the childrens games , hehe

that's still a pretty impressive amount of work to be done

Kraull
11-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Great ambiance in it!

300 illustrations...
That's crazy man! I'll pray for you!:)

Claireabella
11-26-2004, 10:57 PM
I really like your colouring WIP - it's looking great and certainly has a sense of depth to it. Good luck with managing all that work and the challenge too! :scream: Claireabella

NinjaA55N
11-27-2004, 12:19 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1101514792_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1101514792_large.jpg)

I was thinking how to show the scale of the environment... so I quickly painted a frozen woods in the first plan (pine woods) in a perspective and with a small mushroom-building to compare the acctual size. Does it works??? Do u get the picture how big all that is?

Any comment is most welcome!

Fahrija
11-27-2004, 12:40 AM
Hi NinjASSN,

You are a mashine! Hats off!

I get the sense of scale but youve created some very beautiful ice-rock-surfaces (previous pic). I would just spread liveforms on that places where the ice-rocks look not so readable.

Greetings
Fahrija

greentek
11-27-2004, 02:06 AM
great work mate!! simply great! :thumbsup:
i'm very impressed! very nice composition and pleasant colors!
looking forward for development!
best of luck and cheers.. :beer:

coCoKNIght
11-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Yess! The foreground element is excellent and just what was lucking all the time, great work!

stevetwist
11-27-2004, 09:32 AM
SIMPLY GREAT! The new foreground is totally epic! I love it!

This piece totally rocks!

NinjaA55N
11-28-2004, 07:35 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1101627300_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1101627300_large.jpg)

OK... so this is just a color scheme, with no contrasts yet (maybe I'll even leave those gentle colors), just to see how it works. Im not sure that wverythings is OK at the moment, I really have some troubles with this ambient light, especially in the first plan. It seems that nothing works as it should be. So any suggestions which color to use here it will be most welcome.
Now, that I have 3 main charactaristics of the pic done, I'll finally resize this pic from 1000px to at least 4000px for final step... painting details, sharpen the image and do some other fun stuff :D

Any opinion is most appreciate it! Thnx!

NinjaA55N
11-28-2004, 07:45 AM
I reducedd the mist in the first plan which startd really bothering me... It looks sligtly better now, but still, Im looking for the rigt colors there... any help please?

NinjaA55N
11-28-2004, 08:15 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1101629726_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1101629726_large.jpg)

Here is the version without so mist in the first plan, and some minor changes in the middle plan (made some shadows so there isnt everything so equal.. but its probably unnoticable :))

adonihs
11-28-2004, 08:16 AM
Awesome job! Reminds me of Gennosis (SP?) From Episode 2, Star Wars :D

Looks great!!

walrus
11-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Hey, NinjaASSN, I really like the pastel tones that you've added to the piece as a light-source. The subtle clouds in the background at the horizon really work well. If that low sun is the light source for the piece, though, it seems like that top-most part of the floating city should be getting more hilights from it... And the iceberg breaking off (did i read that right?) should be shadowed by the cliff-wall and getting less of the light. Anyhow, really coming along nicely, can't wait to see how it looks when you start refining the details at a higher res. Good luck!

-mike

NinjaA55N
11-28-2004, 07:07 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1101668837_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1101668837_large.jpg)

I finally started working on 4000px resolution, sharpening shapes in the first plan.. its lot of fun when u have the final composition and everything already chosen, and started finishing the picture as u have in mind :)

NinjaA55N
11-28-2004, 08:23 PM
I just have to take some time and reply to ur comments :)

Squibbit: Dont worry... there will be nothing like MF in children games... im not that cruel :twisted:
And the work is going just well for now... :)

Kraull, Claireabella, greentek, coCoKNIght, stevetwist: Thnx for the comments and best wishes! :)

Fahrija: Unfortunately there wil be no or minimal life forms in my pic... mostly coz of the hight of the camera, where they couldnt be seen :/ At least the life forms will not be so detailed as I wish they should ne.. but hey, in next challenge ;) But anyway, Im planning to add some life into this pic at the end. I also have a plan what and where will be put, but that will come later :) Thnx!

adonihs: really? do u have some pic or something maybe? I didnt see that part of SW :/ Thnx for stopping by :)

walrus: Hi there! :) The sun is in the left corner of the pic, or at least there will be at the end.. I acctually didnt painted yet. So there shouldnt be much more light at the scene as it is now I think... There is only the back side lighten, so everything that is seen is a reflection on the edge of those mushroom buildings... and some on the ice platform. There will be some more work on that part of the pic, but Im not sure if I must lighten up that... After all, this is a grand distance and the air makes everything more blue and the light less bright. And on the falling iceberg there is a small amount of light just getting over the edge of the cliff-wall. I put some shadow on my latest version, but I'll leave some light as well. Its still quite high even if its falling.
Many thnx for ur constructive critics! :)

LuisNCT
11-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Now, with the trees on the first plan, the big scale of the city is more obvious... gives more 'grand' feeling to the scene. (But I like it more with more mist in first plane, like it was three steps ago)

stevetwist
11-28-2004, 08:50 PM
I have to entriely agree.

It's looking so damn awesome! You're very lucky that you're a big portion into finishing your entry.

userBrian
11-29-2004, 06:21 AM
I really like the serene style and wonder if you are putting those cool creepy bugs

in it. Would be very strange.

my 3d entry in the GSO (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=179803)

OKMER
11-29-2004, 11:20 AM
This is getting greater each time I pass by!!!Feel like a watcher(from fantast 4,i think)
I feel that the image is still missing a little bit of deepness,I agree with Walrus that you could play around a little more morely with the fact the sun should light up a little bit more the upper parts of the buildings.Or even more I thnik you should darken more the inside of the hole.Like there is very few light below where the city falls into the water,the splatterin water should be a little bit less white.
Maybe some blur also could contibute to more deepness.
Maybe some people hanging around on a another closer to us foreground-plan ,spectators of what is happening.
I find it quit hard also to say where the falling city is coming from.
It's a really great image with a nice concept and just trying to be constructiv i hope.
Sorry for my english and I hope I'm understandabale:D

Later Ninja!!!
My Grand SpaceBra 2d:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=184953

bolchover
11-29-2004, 04:30 PM
looking very good - I like the tones and choice of colours, and teh subtleness of the structures etc is nice.

SteveNewport
11-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Blaz,

you have made some amazing improvements! You've addressed lots of issues and overcame some conflicts. The sense of grandness is coming into view now, and I definitely have a sense of scale. You rendered the foreground ice extremely well, it looks very frozen and the saturated light pouring through it's translucent body looks fantastic.

I only have a short time to write right now, got to get back to class. But when I get off I'll give it a little more time and thought and see if there are some things I could harp on;-)

You're doing excellent

element5
11-29-2004, 09:36 PM
I see that your image is coming along nicely....keep up the good work :thumbsup:

NinjaA55N
12-02-2004, 11:18 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1102029535_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1102029535_large.jpg)

Nothing more to say... those things have to be done :)
Im sorry for not replying to ur posts guys, I will take some time for that tomorrow or day after tomorrow... Im just so short on time :(
I considered some of ur suggestions already and some of them I will in next steps.. so dont think that I ignore ur opinions :) Im most gratefull for every single one so dont hesitate to write some more.

NinjaA55N
12-02-2004, 11:20 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1102029621_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1102029621_large.jpg)

Some closeups... a bit less than a 50% of an original size.

MoonVisionStudio
12-03-2004, 05:15 AM
You are making good progress, keep it up.

adonihs
12-03-2004, 08:58 AM
wow Ninja, you sure are bringing your full talent to this. The ice looks f'ing fantastic!! The little etches and cracks here and there are really spot on and brings you to a whole different world. Im not saying it would have looked bad with just the waterfalls and ocean, but this totally over takes it!! I really like this =) Ha, although, I do pray for you and those groups of trees. Not saying you can do it, but trees are a PIA. :[

Keep up the awesome work bud!

bonestudio
12-03-2004, 10:14 AM
Very cool background what kind of action will you put in it ?

Have a nice trip in France ;)

tikson
12-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Hey Ninja - You have just superb concept.

I personally like very much cold, dark and rainy environments and your image gives lots of space for imagination. For me it is the key of the good picture if you can dream what has been and what is going to happen.
It's relly hard to give some good advice. Maybe you should add some more 'islands' on the horizon. It gives better perspective and feeling of depth.

Good luck and don't burn your pencil :scream:, :thumbsup:!

SteveNewport
12-04-2004, 01:08 AM
Blaz, again, I have to say you're making some killer progress! You're nailing the ice. And the outmospheric lighting around the domes is what your previous color sketches were missing, it adds so much to it.

I'm not sure any trees would be left after so long in the cold without sun;-) But I think you can make up your own species of trees for the concepts sake! Because they really do add a lot of scale to the image. You definitely still need a lot of figures though, to give some relation to the viewer to let them know it's not just destruction, but destructino causing death to living things.

I would add some large chunks of ice falling off as well, just some more destruction to add some interest.

About the domes, remember ice has reflective qualities as well, so the platforms the domes are on top of would have some darker reflections of the domes. Also, take what you have done to the cliffs of ice and apply it to the domes. As I'm assuming the domes are made of ice, they would be somewhat translucent as well. So I believe the blueish hues would be coming through on the side closest to the viewer, right in the middle of the darkest shaded part. It would be really interesting to play with the light glowing through the ice to suggest what might be inside these domes. Also, steam coming off the tops of the domes would be a very very nice effect I think... try it and see!

You're skies coming along pretty well, it'll definitely add some needed depth and mystery to your image! I'm still not sure about the wave... but we'll see how that comes along!

Also, think about the tip layer of ice melting because of the sun. That top layer (at least where the suun is touching it) would be a littl more reflective, plus it would probable cause some streams falling of the edges of the islands and the cliff. Probably a lot falling off the cliffs

Another thought that might add more dynamics to your portrayal of the scene is capturing just when a 'leg' of the island breaks. There would be a snapping spray of ice and the island would just begin to lean instead of just having one island collapse. Really make the viewer lose hope, everythings melting, crashing and dieing, the viewer has to feel like he/she is next

You're foreground is looking absolutely excellent. Keep working on it and do everything oyu can to give a sense of motion, tension, thrill and dynamics. You're doing great

V_Shane
12-04-2004, 02:45 AM
beautiful ice effect, really wonderful

Squibbit
12-04-2004, 07:38 AM
with all the hurry , you still manage stuff like this , :bowdown: , don't overwork yourself tho ,ok? :thumbsup:

techart
12-04-2004, 11:04 AM
wooow great work so far man...love the environment....one crit..the trees from the lower side...maybe is better without them or try to make them more detailed....in rest well done so far dude....keep it so tech

NinjaA55N
12-04-2004, 12:45 PM
LuisNCT: Thnx man! Im planning to add some more mist and steam add the end, when I'll have all the details I want.. Those will be just last touch-ups.

userBrian: Im not sure if there will be those bugs :( unfortunatelly somethimes u have to miss something even if its a good concept... it just doesnt fit into this final product. those bugs r too small compare to the scale im using in this environment. In some of my next project this creepy animal will sure be used. Thnx!

OKMER: I think I did some more lightening on the tops, so I hope it feels better. I also will play a bit with light and shadows in my next steps, so there r still chances to correct that. I darken the water in the depness but im still didnt sharpen that part of the pic, so there will be more corrections on this part as well. Maybe I'll breake that island in two giant pieces so there wil be more defined feeling whats happend..
The spectators and escaping ships will be added at the end. I just wanna to finish environment first.. step by step picture.
Thnx a lot for ur long post. It helps a lot hearing constructive critics :thumbsup:

adonihs: hehe.. trees wont be such a problem i guess ;) those in the first plan will be nice and detailed but all other just a feeling of details... And I also like doing stuff like this... slowly and with passion. Thnx!

bonestudio: There will be much action at the end.. I think of dieing ppl, panic, escaping with somekind of ships... and so on.. Its like a judgement day where everybody will try to save them self but with no special chances... poor ppl :shrug:
thnx for stopping by!

tikson: Maybe there wont be islands on the horizont but u make me thinking about the background... I'll probably add some lower cities there.. drowning in that huge wave that's coming. Thnx!

Steve Newport: U really take time for ur comments.. much appreciate it!
About the trees... even if they havent got any sun for such a long time, there r some microorganisms in the ice, which lived in the water before the ice age... about 10.000 years ago. And those microorganisms have all needed minerals and stuff that UV light has it, so there is no problem for trees to successfuly grows.
More ice shunks r coming...
About the domes i havent thinking about so much so they r not sharpen and define yet.. but some nice suggestions from u. The steam is alredy planned (could be seen coming from the domes in the back) but it will be more detailed at the end of sharpening process.
A wave stays for now... specially coz Im thinking of putting some cities in the background... which will be crashed under that wave. Just something more to show the viewer that there is a no safe place at the moment. Thats why Im also planning to paint some cracks in the foreground. Destruction at its best.
Im not sure where to put that leg brake stuff... but there will be some more action going on with the already fell island.
Thnx again for ur long post and ur precious time. U r very helpfull! Will reply to ur thread soon. Im following it but just dont find right time to post some suggestions or crits. Soon!

Squibbit: Those things just have to be done :D Thnx!

techart: Trees will be changed coz I also planning to change the first plan a bit... bring more chaos feeling to the viewer who seemed to be standing here. And everything will be very detailed at the end. Thnx a lot!

stevetwist, bolchover, element5, Jose Pardo, V_Shane: thnx a lot!

SteveNewport
12-04-2004, 05:38 PM
your latest posts show your instinct is right and you have the skill to produce great work, so there's no doubt in my mind that this piece will be very successful and it will work!

Tommy Lee
12-04-2004, 06:54 PM
with all the hurry , you still manage stuff like this , :bowdown: , don't overwork yourself tho ,ok? :thumbsup:
I second That dude!:thumbsup:

NinjaA55N
12-07-2004, 10:44 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1102416239_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1102416239_large.jpg)

Hi there! I had little time to change some things in my pic. There r some big cracks in the foreground (from an earthquake or something) and some more destruction in the background falling island.. just a start. What I'm wondering if that works fine coz Im not sure for myself. So I NEED UR HELP on this one please.. is it better or worse than a previous one... what works well and what not?
Please, any suggestion or just an opinion is most welcome! Thnx

tikson
12-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi, Ninja...

I think that maybe you should add a little bit more contrast or inner refelections ice can make. You've made it on the foreground amazingly well. It looks so subtle... but right now your image looks a bit indistinct. Maybe there can be some structures that you can see through ice or something. Maybe you can make the foreground city more interesting?

On your first sketch you put some people standing on ice. Perhaps ypu can put some tiny crowd on the foreground also. It gives good feeling of scale. Right now I don't understand how big is the city on foreground. Is it huge or just a small base? These foreground trees give very good scale, but maybe some more 'man made' details.

Maybe the splash that falling icecity makes, should be more dramatic (bigger wave, crashed buildings, some lights still burning).

Maybe it is possible to add a feeliing of coldness here... I do not imagine how to do that, but I just started thinking that is it possible to emphasize the feeling of cold eternity, which is coming to an end. It is possible that point is alo in backround. If it is clear empty backround, that reaches till horizon... maybe it gives some feeling of clarity, emptiness or lonelyness or something like that...

Too many 'maybes', but everything is just for you to decide.

Really good work... go on :arteest:.

KaleN
12-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Looks nice! Some snow storm may add some more drama to this and maybe would emphasize feeling of coldnes what tikson have already sugested. Good luck!

Nomad
12-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Hum.. for me the new forground is too sharp and disturbs the spectator from what is happening behind the water...

Keep up the great work :thumbsup:

SteveNewport
12-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Blaz, I really like the reworked destruction, it's a good starting point. It gives depth to the forground and adds a sense of fragileness to the whole city, showing the viewer it can be destroyed. I'd make the pattern of the ice cracks on that falling fome different. Maybe have it spreading from the impact point up. Right now it's just the top part of the dome falling off, make it seem like it's the impact to the water that is causing the breaking.

I agree with Tikson, I'd really like to see more translucency in the domes themselves. Having a vibrant blue glow through the ice sillouetting the structures inside would be incredibly dynamic and dramatic and interesting. It would give more of a sense of encapsolation than enclosure. It would make you wonder who was inside about to meet their end instead of thinking it's just a solid, indestructable dome of ice. The crushing of the falling island helps display it's vulnerability, but the translucency would also help show it's not all that thick, it could break... there's more tension this way.

One thing I'm able to put my finger on now is the awkwardness I felt with the falling island... you can't tell where it's falling from, there's very little, if any, evidence that shows this. This would be a good spot to show the cracked spray and chunks of the collapse of the columns and walkways between them. I think the 'glitter' effect fresh snow or shards of ice have could be used very effectively with the sun illuminating behind them. It would give a frozen atmosphere, as someone else requested

Also, someone else mentioned that the forground is too detailed and takes focus from the centerpiece. While I'm sure that you will soon be adding much more detail to the other elements of the painting, I might suggest, after all is said and done, blurring out a bit of the extreme forground for both a sense of realism, with the DOP, and also to draw a little more focus to the destruction. The forground is simply there for scale. And Tikson mentioned people would work in the forground, I agree, but I know you mentioned that you were going to add that element later

You had asked earlier what part you could add more destruction to. Well, I think the center 2-story building looks like it would be the next to collapse, it looks structurally a little weaker, so it might not be that hard to make the column between the two snapping and collapsing over. It would add motion with the already fallen city. It depends on which way you want the piece to go. If you had all the buildings falling into a center it would, in my opinion, make it seem more vulnerable with a domino effect. If you have all the islands collapsing, but in different directions/patterns, then it would seem more uncontrollable, havic, more caused by the coming of the sun. But I do believe at least one more dome collapsing in some way is called for, it would add a lot in my opinion. But what do any of you think?

NinjaA55N
12-07-2004, 06:57 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1102445876_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1102445876_large.jpg)

Some more destruction in the first plan. I didnt manage to read all last replies, so dont be mad if there is something u dont like and I didnt consider it yet :)
Thats work of todays "free time".

sidchagan
12-07-2004, 07:28 PM
It looks great. I like the sense of scale, and the colors are very good. My only recommendation is that you put some more highlights somewhere- the piece looks uniform unless viewed up close

Blackarts
12-07-2004, 07:35 PM
I agree with a lot of the points Steve mentinoned. It would be nice to get more of a sense that this world is crumbling, and it would ratchet up the tension. It reminds me of the beggining of Superman when Krypton shatters. The one thing I don't really get are the trees..they don't make sense to me if this is an ice-world...maybe some interesting alien rock formations might work better. I would like to see some of that great detail go into the citie structures as well, (little lights, stuff like that), just to help sell the scale some more. Other than that I think this is coming out really nice, good work!

SteveNewport
12-07-2004, 10:48 PM
This is getting really great. Chunks of ice and everything add so much.

Blackarts comment about the trees I kind of agree with too. It's not impossible, and it could work in a conceptual world obviously, but his comments about rock or ice formations wouldn't be a bad idea to experiment with either. And where you're really going to get your sense of scale is from the people. Trees can come in any size, but people, living beings are the only thing we can personally relate with on scale.

2 more things I noticed:
#1 The highlight on the falling island (the refleciton of the sunset) seems a little missplaced, I would make it a little further away from the viewer on the outer edge. The reflection the way it is would suggest it's reflecting something from directly above.

#2 Also, the splash that is being caused by the island is too light. That would only work if it was bein backlit. I think you should bring the values of the water down a bit as well as the splash. Especially the part behind the island, through the cracks of the island the splash almost looks like it's glowing.

And in the future, I was thinking about what it must be like to see the sun after never seeing anything like it even remotely close, having things you've seen or maybe only felt for your entire life, suddenly become illuminated. The mental picture you made for yourself while living in this city is completely different from the reality this light brings. I was trying to think of a way to not just make the destruction the focus, but what's causing it as well, the sun. A way to make the viewer feel like they are with the people there, experiencing the sun for the first time. Whether you start thinking about it now, or whether it's a post-production type deal, a good sharp contrast between light and dark might help too. Making the sun seem glaringly bright that the viewer feels they need to cover their eyes with their hands while looking at it.

One more minor thing, the highest island would look good if the ice-cylces (or streams of water, whatever) coming down from it were vibrantly illuminated by the red/orange glow of the sun.

It's really good that you can start getting specific critiques already on the details, you're ahead of the game, take care!

NinjaA55N
12-08-2004, 12:08 AM
Hi guys.... very interesting suggestions, worth thinking about them. But honestly I have to say, that Im loosing the feeling of happyness doing that. It could be just that kind of day and I have to take a pause of working all the time... but looking the pic I've created so far, I just dont see it the way I imagined :(
Will see what will tomorrow bring, till than have a nice day and many thnx for stopping by. :buttrock:

SteveNewport
12-08-2004, 01:58 AM
dude, take a break. It's the belief among many artists that it's the break, in between working on the art, that is the most importance steps. If you work yourself too hard, you begin seeing only the details of the image and not the image as a whole. It's like the artist that works on a huge 20'x20' painting and never steps more than two feet back from it. Critiques are for you while your working on it to have a fresh mind viewing your work, but sometimes you have to take a break so you can come back to it with a fresh mind
you're doing great work, but go smell some roses ;)

newcenturydsn
12-12-2004, 03:32 AM
Freakin awesome entry Blaz! No crits here.:thumbsup:

LuisNCT
12-12-2004, 03:46 PM
If you put some little lightpoints in the buildings it will look more dramatic and catastrophic, cause now it looks like a long time ago deserted place, that isn't bad idea but less spaceopera-like. On the other hand, your work looks great. The breaking ice bridge are awesome!

Tommy Lee
12-12-2004, 10:49 PM
getting better and better. Had few things to crit but allready mentioned...

Cheerz:thumbsup:

W-I-L
12-13-2004, 07:32 PM
know what you mean about becoming disillusioned. I often do with my stuff. trying to transfer the image in my mind to canvas, something gets diluted and the end image often looks stale... but taking a break is very important to come back and be reinspired.

great work. love the image and light. erry

NinjaA55N
12-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Thnx for replies even that I havent updating this thread for a while. Now that i took a week free of working on this challenge, I did some big changes on the pic. Some more details and shapes to finished and I'll submit it for further comments and opinions. I considered many of ur suggestions and it helped a lot! So thnx to all of u guys for stoping by! U r simply the best :bounce:

NinjaA55N
12-14-2004, 10:47 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1103064432_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1103064432_large.jpg)

Here they r... some big changes. Different coloring, more contrast picture, specially coz of sunrise, the shadows r darker in the first plan... I also tried to achieve a nice composition with brightness and darkness... more dramatic feeling i guess. And it flows the eye of the viewer to important things in the pic, not confusing it with unnecessary details. The trees r gone, replaced with alien mashroom-rock.. those r acctually mashrooms dressed in some gel that protect them from frozening. There will be much more mushrooms, i just have to find some time.. and on those mushrooms there will be many many lifeforms (not humans.. i have a concept of characters, will post it soon).. and there will be also much happening in the air. Panic mostly :)
Thats a short overview of my new update, there is much more to say, but not enough time.. Till morning i have to finish 8 more pictures :/
cya!

NinjaA55N
12-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Oh.. and i added some more destructions this time (island in the left back is colapsing for example)... and much more destructions to come :)

cgkrusty
12-14-2004, 11:09 PM
I think you were right to modify the lighting to make it more dramatic... your initial attempts were looking a little flat. That being said I think you've gone a bit too far the other way and you've lost a lot of the detail that made your piece interesting.

I think, if you wanted to make it more dramatic (and maybe you're going to do this) you could have these city structures lit up with light from the inside, casting ambient light around. That way you can have the dramatic sunset, the cool silouettes but not loose the detail in your city structures.

Looking forward to your next iteration!

ecura
12-15-2004, 12:07 PM
With these additional colours in the palette, there seems to be more depth to the image. However do be careful with the reflections, at the moment it seem to be rusted metal surface with some of the structures. Probably a bit too dark in the forground but nevertheless I do like the concept and progress. Good work!

coCoKNIght
12-15-2004, 12:30 PM
absolutely breathtaking! I agree that it has much more depth in it now and well, dunno what to say, it's already almost like I'm there... great work! :thumbsup:

newcenturydsn
12-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Lookin' good Blaz! I hope you bring the platform splashing into the water more into the light, I thought that looked really cool!

:beer:

Nikolay
12-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Very well also it is interestingly drawn... I wish success))

walrus
12-15-2004, 04:41 PM
That's looking really nice, Blaz, I love the changes in the light and layout. It feels like that blueish cliff in the bottom could use a little more of the oraghnes from the sun, but overall, it's looking great! I'm interested in seeing how you add the charactes... and what kind of species they'll be. Good luck with it!

-mike

Fahrija
12-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Hi Blaz,

It looks much more dramatic and mysterious and gives the cognition more room for individual interpretation. I like it very much. Especially the cloud and sun in the background are very well.

Maybe I would increase the highlights of your buildings hitting by the sun a bit more. And at this locations I would paint a lot of water running down in the canyon just to increase the impression what effect the sunlight has to the environment. This would also establish the falling building in the background.

Greetings
Fahrija

NinjaA55N
12-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Thnx to everyone for some really helpfull comments and suggestions! Some of them were already in procedure, some of them were completely new to me and now they r on the list "what to do next..." :)

cgkrusty: Some ambient light is coming in next steps. Its true that i lost most of the details in first plan, but that was on purpose. I have to bring the main focus in the middle and background, where the main interactions is happening... sun is rising and cities r falling and destructing. There will be more details in the end of painting proedure, so u can expect some more details in the first plan as well, but not more that will be needed to understand the pic. There wil be still much more darkness here... Its also that there is no light coming this way, so its unlogical to put very brigh parts to the foreground. Thnx for ur constructive ideas!

ecura: Im still not sure what kind of material to put in those domes. I dont know if I wanna to be ice... maybe. But even if it will be ice, there wont be much reflections there. The surface of the domes is not completely smooth, so is simillar to a water with all those tiny waves taht make it not so reflective from the distance. Look at the water for an example (sea). When u r standing next to it, u can see urself in it clearly... but when u r looking at water from several kilometers distance, u can see just blue color, maybe some blurry reflections. And thats what I already have there...some blury stuff the same color as sky. There will be some more details put on the domes and the ice in the first plan, but I think no major changes. Thnx for ur suggestions and for ur support!

coCoKNIght: thnx man :) Very encourageable words!

newcenturydsn: Thnx man! :) but I think Im quite happy with the light in the abbys. If i bring more light to that part, there will be some missunderstandings about the deepness of the abbys. I will sharpen and detail that part for sure, but no special changes in light.

Nikolay: Thnx man! I appreciate it! :)

walrus: Some more orange reflections is on the way :) And characters r coming soon... I just need to find some time.. maybe today in the evening... stay close and thx for ur kind words!

Fahrija: Will see how it will work with more light on the domes, but Im sure gonna paint some water running all over :) Thnx man!

Fahrija
12-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Hi Blaz,

the lighning rings in the building structure is a great idea. It immediatley gives an additional information about the scale. I love this feature. Youve also underlined the atmosphere of your last update. The shiny parts of the building now give a good indication that its structure is mostly made by ice. And in this case the sunflare fits very well to the topic.

No crits, mate!

Greetings
Fahrija

Fahrija
12-17-2004, 06:58 PM
Strange...
after my reply - somehow it was placed above your new image-post and your thread was
deleted from my subscribtion list.

Greetings
Fahrija

NinjaA55N
12-17-2004, 11:33 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1103326434_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1103326434_large.jpg)

Here it is... some more destruction, more details, waterfalls, steam, sun, etc. Now its time to put some life into this pic, some panic and chaotic feeling of destruction to the viewer. I will soon submit new character concepts, spaceships or someting concepts and put everything to this pic later than. I think that something is still missing in the right bottom corner. I hope I'll manage to fill that place with already mentioned life forms. And after that, there will be some more playing with sharpening and detailing the textures and thats it...
C&C r most welcome! Thnx :)

ered dium
12-18-2004, 12:46 AM
It looks great, the color is better but I think there are to much blue, I like more contrast.
Maybe with all the new characters, spaceships, etc. you don't need to do any change in the color.
Very cool image :thumbsup:

Tommy Lee
12-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Damn, thats geting better and better each time I see it! I am waiting for the Characters now:drool:
And btw: You managed the ice-task very well. Hard task to make it look good,... and you DID it!:thumbsup:

element5
12-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Wow this has come a long way since I last dropped by....nice developement. :thumbsup:

Slav
12-18-2004, 12:01 PM
hey there. i really like the way this image is comming together.. but its changed soo mauch from the original idea... i kind of like the water falls a bit more.

cheers

SteveNewport
12-18-2004, 10:28 PM
rock & roll dude, this is looking fantastic. You're doing excellent. Seems like the break helped a little!
The shrooms were a smart choice, a little more convincing now with your story. Something to try maybe: the stem of the nearest mushroom looks very cool. Maybe even play around with it being a little more transparant and possibly even more refractive of what's behind it (as if it's filled with a goo of sort, anti-freeze substance that's present in some arctic fish). Also, the membraine around the top should be accented as well, it's a very smooth idea and will add a lot of interest.
I'm can't decide if I like the forest of shrooms at the bottom left. Maybe a little too much? or maybe just not enough variety in size/shape?

The crowds of people are great, seeing that large group on the falling chunk is perfect, sooo much emotion on that simple section. I would think even more people would be trying to cross the closest bridge to get to the safety of the ice-mountain seeing the fate of the rest of their city.

The darkness of the crashing island is infinitely better. So much mystery and a convincing display of atmosphere. Matter of fact, it suggests to me that you could do a little more with the atmosphere on the rest of the scene. Keep the highlights as strong, but to show the steamy atmosphere make the darks a little more dull and closer to the overall color of the atmosphere.

The island lights around the rims are nice, but still not as dramatic as some interior illumination would be, both by internal artificial lighting as well as the glow of the sun flooding through it. Right now, the rest of the ice is translucent, but the islands, with the current shading, look like they could be made of any given metal instead of ice.

The steam coming off the islands is looking great. I'm not sure what those 'splashes' at the tops of them are though?

The glow coming through the bottoms of the islands is great. I like the splashes of the ice-chunks as well.
The waterfalls need to be more defined as waterfalls, rather than merely long ice-cycles. One way to do this is not make them so linear and straight. Maybe a curved projection off the platforms, and as the water falls more and more have it effected by the wind (as I'm sure there would be lots of it with the abrupt change in climate) Instead of having them get skinnier and skinnier to a point, have them get wider and more faded to suggest the spray.
With the collapsing island on the left I would expect to see a rush of the melted iced flowing over it's right portion, maybe trickling down the under-right side as well? so you can imagine the wet slush this place is turning into. Also something to consider would be, with the waterflow, the streams might begin to shape the ice as rivers would land. Water will take the easiest path to rest into gravity (the ocean) so it will most like continue the flow it finds first carving into whatever surace: in this case, the easily shaped ice. Maybe experimenting with the waterflow sculpted patterns on the surfaces of the islands might be something to try.

The sky's very powerful. Keep in mind that you could do a lot with the sun below the clouds. You've probably seen one of those sunsets where the sun is below the clouds casting linear pink waves across the bottoms of the clouds. Might be something worth experimenting with to draw the viewer into the image even more.

These are all mere suggestions, questions and ideas. You know by now I harp on very minor things, but it's nice your image is far enough along that these minor things can be addressed and delt with. I was part of a vocal group for a very long time, and it was so nice to be able to get to the point where you could stop learning the piece and start perfecting it. This is where your at. Do what you can with my words and. as always, I look forward to your progress no matter what decisions you make.
Thanks for your comments as well!

Blackarts
12-19-2004, 01:32 AM
It's coming along really nicely. Once you put in a bit more chaos and destruction it will start feeling better. Try some looser brustrokes, to ivoke more movement.

-The destruction seems very localized....what if you had some nice big cracks extending all the way to the horizon? It might help explain why these things are falling over - the whole planet is shaking or collapsing...something like that.

- The city design is all consistent, and then the one in the middle looks like it has a second city plopped on top of it. I don't get it, it's a bit distracting.

-the ice looks great.

-ditto with the horizon and clouds. a bit more detail in the clouds would be nice, don't overdo it or it'll looked crammed.

- it might be nice to have a few human survivors closer to the camera, scrambling up the rocks.

- I would get rid of the closest 'city' structure, the one just to the right of the mushrooms...it blows the scale of the cities.

looking good man, keep it up.

Aethyrprime
12-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Absolutely beautiful. I love this entry alot. Great use of contrasts in color. Very nice work! Keep at it.

SteveNewport
12-20-2004, 03:36 AM
Blaz, I was running through some of my photos and ran across this image I took in bolivia. It demonstrates what I was referring to with the clouds in my last post.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/stevenewport/CityScape.jpg

hydrocell
12-24-2004, 12:12 AM
sweet lighting effects!

Hillartsympho
12-24-2004, 05:08 AM
this is coming together nicely, maybe you could have a ship entering the image at the bottom right when you design and add them. now its very serene and doesn't give teh feeling of destruction ecept for subtle clues, so the contrast between serenity and destuctive action sounds interesting.

Lovliebutterfly
12-26-2004, 03:36 AM
Wow! This is really good work. The colours work nicely together. Just one comment...(well, maybe you've already thought about it) I don't feel the falling action of the mushrooms. Maybe you could suggest the fall and crash with the mist and movement of air around...

NinjaA55N
12-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Im really so sorry for not updating my thread and even not repliying to ur posts. Im so short on time that I can hardly breath at the moment. And I got a new PC, a true monster (3,2Ghz, 2 Gb DDR, GeForce 6600gt,... and a new wacom intuos3 a4... drool) but I have to install everything to this baby of mine, transfer all files and some other stuff... so I could continue my work... and other work for companies who started to be very unpatient :( The deadline for everything is between 10th and 17th January.. so... I hope I'll manage to finish everything.
Will take time to answer to all of ur suggestions soon. And REALLY MANY THANKs to ALL of YOU!

Falcorr
12-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Hey! Dont sweat it man.

We all know that great pic can be achieved in no time. You just need lots of luck!
But if the stress is getting too high do as you feel.

I can relate to your computer problems. After destroying 2 motherboards and prosessor.

Good luck! :)

fabianv
12-26-2004, 04:56 PM
I am really in awe of your work .. especially the latest submission... the colors really are breathtaking and the scene feels very epic! I love it (I bet you hear that a lot) and think its a really good piece of work indeed! I have no criticism for you though, just praise :)

Squibbit
12-26-2004, 06:09 PM
yea this is really starting to look grand ! fabuloserous extravaganzzzarama !

newcenturydsn
12-28-2004, 02:44 AM
UNbeeleivable, this is absolutely fantastic, well done sir, you were right about the lighting, the darker the abyss is the deeper it looks. I can't express how impressed i am with your work, good show!!:thumbsup: :bounce: :buttrock:

NinjaA55N
12-30-2004, 08:35 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1104438935_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1104438935_large.jpg)

Just a quick update, as much as I could do in several 10minutes breaks between my worktime. Replies to ur comments r coming soon. Thnx so far!

NinjaA55N
12-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Unfortunately no sign of characters or spaceships yet.. no time :/

NinjaA55N
12-30-2004, 09:15 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1104441318_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1104441318_large.jpg)

Playing with a pic, applaying some touch-ups...

foane
12-30-2004, 09:58 PM
this is a very nice composition but you've 'overdone' it a bit with all the shining highlights I think. There's no clear accent in the picture, nothing draws the eye. Don't get me wrong, its a great picture but you could enhance it a bit more. It also has this dirty look on it because all of your highlights are made with a white colour....just put a tiny bit of colour in these and it will make wonders!!!

good luck, francis

Fahrija
12-31-2004, 12:53 PM
Hi Ninjassn,

Very beautiful things happen, when you "playing around" with your pen :)
The mood is great and the current details are now a very good indication that the shown civilization is melting away. I very much like the texture of the buildings in the middle of your image. Looks great to me.

Maybe I would try to give the sun a bit more agression to underline the situation a bit.

Greetings
Fahrija

KaleN
12-31-2004, 01:22 PM
Great job! Th mood is great but i must agree with foane about the highlights. I don't think they should be that bright in shadowed areas.

NinjaA55N
12-31-2004, 02:12 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1104502344_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1104502344_large.jpg)

OK... im submiting this for showing my intentions on bringing the life forms into the image. This is just a sketch, to show where will be the action. All those yellow stuff r "people" (still not designed yet) and those dark spots on the sky... yes, u guessed right... spaceships runing away from the sun. I still have to do lots of corrections on the background, thnx to u of course and ur great suggestions. In my next post, right now, I'll reply to ur posts and reveal what will I change or correct in my next steps...

newcenturydsn
12-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Looking really great Blaz!!

The people are gonna be a nice touch when you get them done, I like the ships too, except I don't know if the one in the very front, comin right at you, is placed proper. After you add the details in, it'll probably look better.
Well Done!!:thumbsup:

NinjaA55N
12-31-2004, 03:04 PM
Finally, I found the time to post some replies.. bosses gave me a day off, so Im not in the hurry :)

ered dium: the colors r now much more desaturated, coz that blue was really a bit strange. But I will increase the colors in the back on the sky, to get a feeling of power. Thnx!

Tommy Lee: thnx man! characters r coming...

element5: thnx!

Slav: maybe there will be some more waterfalls in the back, where the abbys begins. Thnx!

Steve Newport: First, thnx for the sky reference, I will sure use it, coz it just fits to my pic.
I added the lights and shiny dots so the transparency is a bit more obvious.. but still not as a window, coz afterall, those stems r quite big and there is a lot of ice inthere..
Crowds r coming... will be better presentated.
The domes stays as they r.. donno.. I kind of like them that way, but there wil be much more tinny light on the surface.. and cracks r already added.
I correct the waterfalls as u said and its much better. Thnx for the advice!
And yea, I have to try with some more destruction posibilities.. ur suggestions r coming to braingstorming.
Thnx again for ur long post, ur time, ur energy, everything... much appreciate it as alwasy!

Blackarts: I wish I had a power with the brushstrokes that u poses :D I just cant catch that stroke to give it dynamic and stable feeling.
I spread the destruction a bit, and maybe I'll do it some more.. will see how will fit in when the ships and crowd will be painted.
I tried some variationds with the cities but I cant found something that wil satisfied me... at least not as at the moment.. personal taste :)
Clouds will be more detailed, most probably something like Steve gave me that last reference.. and definetely more colorfull sky is coming.
Humans or at least some life forms r coming right away...
It looks too empty without a thing in the first plan and split the chain of the domes... I will work with textures and more lights, windows on that one to keep the scale.
Thnx for ur time and most valuable suggestions!

DMW: thnx!

hydrocell: more lightening effects r coming.. thnx!

Hillartsympho: The ships will be coming toward the camera, while they r escaping from the domes... I hope that the present destruction is OK... and thnx for stopping by!

Lovliebutterfly: I did some corrections on that part.. I hope it works now? Thnx!

Falcor_: thnx :) I know ur sotry.. yea.. hehe

fabianv: thnx man!

Squibbit: thnx mate! :D

newcenturydsn: The ships r just a quick sketches... they will be (i hope) properly placed when they will be redrawn :) Thnx!

foane: I will reduce the lights in my next step.. thnx for reminding me about it! About the different colors of the lights... donno.. afterall is a cold dark planet, where red light (example) wouldnt give enough light to see.. this is a blue planet so most of the lightening will be blue also I guess. Thnx for ur suggestions!

Fahrija: Thnx man! Some more textures r coming up, and the sun and the sky in the back will be given some more saturation and power..

KaleN: lights will be corrected :) thnx!

OK... so what I'll also correct... some more defined background, where the great tsunami is coming, some more cracks will be added, more lights on the domes for better scale presantation, the cities on the domes will be more detailed, and some more textures here and there...
Thnx to everysingleone who took a minute or two or 5, to comment my piece and helped it developed to the stage its now :bowdown:

Fahrija
12-31-2004, 03:27 PM
Hi Blaz,

I like the idea but I would avoid to give the ships that fast and confusing flight patterns because they are not attacked suddenly by another species that would indicate an imediate escape. The destruction by the sun is a bit slower. So I would show ships that fly straight up to the sky > an organized escape with big civilization ships which burdensome take-off because of their haviness. And I would place at one of those buildings a kind of dock(station) to give an additional impression how the environment is functionaly build up. The viewer can see how people line-up to get into a ship. This could be a (ice) bridge which leads to one of those ships during the ship waits standby docked in the air.
Just some suggestions

Greetings
Fahrija

Squibbit
01-01-2005, 05:39 AM
o please not the tallship design again atmospheria's been playin around with
thtat one so much pleez design something else :)
otherwise that image just rocks

llllllll
01-01-2005, 06:32 AM
seems like you have been sticking with round pattern a lot and try to enforce them,in some of your concepts it goes well ,

maybe this last drawing,
some other it is way out of place

well,good luck,and happy new year

NinjaA55N
01-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Squibbit, dont worry.. I was just searching for something that will fit into my pic. I thought that the tallship will succesfuly hide my mistakes in the background and be enough interesting to bo a contrast to the dome, which lies in horizontal line.
But Fahrija gave me a great idea to play with, so I will head for this one in my next step of researching.
boalid, thnx for ur comment!

AND A HAPPY AND SUCCESFUL NEW YEAR TO ALL OF U :arteest:

Squibbit
01-02-2005, 02:11 PM
ok , good to hear that , and happy new year to you too .

NinjaA55N
01-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Well, after all researches what will fit into my pic (I mean the spaceships) there will be a giant vertical zeppelins (yea... they will be tall.. to keep the contrast with horizontal domes) with a massive iron outfit with lot of lights (rooms) for ppl to live there during the evacuation flight.. and in the middle it will be empty, filled with blue rocks or something that r lighter than an "air" in the atmosphere on this planet. Designs coming soon.

SteveNewport
01-02-2005, 06:54 PM
blaz, sorry, I missed out on some of your updates, been busy. Anyway, at first I didn't like the new color mix, the vibrance was lost... but now I kinda like it, maybe more fitting, more accurate, believable and dramatic. I like it, maybe add a tad more vibrant colors as you go just to make it a little more stunning.
The waterfalls look great now, no mistaking.

I'm not sure if i like those ships... it could be just following your thread I've come up with my own story maybe and my own ideal of the image... but at least at this point they seem kinda pointless... like they were added as a last ditch effort (not saying they were). If you want to keep the ships, like someone else said, I'd give them a little more purpose. Right now it looks as though the ships are what's causing the destruction, they look like <i>they're</i> wreaking havoc because of their varried flight patterns, not the sun. You mentioned something about the zepplins, that sounds a little more fitting, I think it would be a little more dramatic to visualize slow moving blimp-type airships slowly taking off from the islands as they collapse. It might also help to have some ships docked on an island... or having a rope going down to the crowds so we <i>know</i> that these ships are here to save people, to escape. And maybe to suggest this isn't the only city, have tons more in the sky all going the same direction to safety or the uknown. But if you plan on keeping this spaceship design, I'd recommend giving them a more upward direction, so we see more of the underside of the ships, instead of heading right towards the viewer. It might help to show they're escaping instead of coming for us to harm us.
One more thing to take into consideration is what poses will the people closest to us have? Will they be trying to flag down a ship? Crying? Just standing in awe? fainting? make sure they don't just look purposeless.
Oh, and I just saw the glowing crack in the ice in the front right island... I really like that, very cool, work on it a bit more though because it lacks dimension, it doesn't look exactly like it's a crack <i>on</i> the dome yet.

Great work and good luck!

NinjaA55N
01-02-2005, 07:01 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1104692516_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1104692516_large.jpg)

New design of evacuating ships... Flying above the surface and picking up civilisations, evacuating them to another place, maybe planet... One is just uppon the first citystructure, which has an airport on its roof.. there will be many ppl, waiting to be picked up.
I also sketched a new sky, different background with lots of water and waterfalls falling into the abbys, a dome drowning in the back, more smoke, more cracks... more changes coming up.
Any comment is most welcome!

daadaa
01-02-2005, 07:06 PM
amazing peice of art there.... and i just wanna say a tiny thing which prolly wont make much difference... is it'll be really cool if you have rays of ligh shining out of the cracks. If you down know what i mean, its .... like at the end of Matrix Revolutions where Smith's head explodes... just like that...

NinjaA55N
01-02-2005, 07:09 PM
I forgot to mention.. there will be much darker abbys in next step.. i found it too similar to the background... so there isnt much feeling of a deepth. Soon. :)

daadaa: thnx.. I'll look what can I do about that.. good suggestion.

Markski
01-04-2005, 11:44 PM
I really love your main work. The lighting and color is super. Probably my fave of the whole lot! :thumbsup:

JasonChan
01-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Wow, this is really coming along great! I can't wait to see it with all of the little details in. It's going to be awesome :)

Heliogabalo
01-05-2005, 12:59 AM
nice work ...happy new year

SteveNewport
01-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Blaz, I just noticed the massive waterfall you have falling over the ice drop-off.... phenomonal job on that! really great effect!

At first i didn't like the ships, but I think they add quite the sense of depth. Still need work, but we'll see what happens! The sky looks great, everything's turning out really well.

I'd make sure to make the smoke on the bottom be effected by the sunlight as much as possible to give it volume and color.

keep it up

techart
01-05-2005, 03:00 PM
hey man...cool stuff in here....lots of details and great mood with the great scale of colors...realy huge like it was ment...cheers

NinjaA55N
01-06-2005, 02:21 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1104978058_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4470/4470_1104978058_large.jpg)

Once again... some big changes. I flipped the picture horizontaly.. First of all to see all the mistakes I made so far and didnt see them coz of geting used of them, and to see how the composition works this way. For now Im staying with this version.
Than I completely changed the first plan. There was really too much of everything (little bright dots that bring attention to wrong places and dark and bright parts in the pic werent clear enough anymore)... So the bottom of the pic will be as dark as possible, but I'll try to keep interest there, feeling of destruction and feeling of the right scale. The upside of the pic will be bright and full with optimism, help is coming! But is it too late?
So, in the first plan there is now that great-big-giant wave, caused by the melting planet, where will be lots of stuff in there (pieces of domes, icebergs, ice, ppl, etc). For the feeling of scale, there is also many "little" waves under that big one, splashing into the dome, so the viewer has something to compare acctual size of the tsunami.
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A PRESENT CATASTROPHE IN ASIA... my sympathy to the victims :((
And in the back I slightly changed the sky and removed most of the crushed island in the abbys. Now the abbys has more depts and I kind of like it that way... I'll add more steam there later, to fill that emptyness a bit.
Also some smaller spaceships will be added later on, flying around the big ones, picking-up survicors, searcing for survivors inside from the city structure... there will be great masses of ppl, and some other details for finish (lights in the city and on the domes... ect)
Comments r most welcome! Thnx :)

Tranchefeux
01-06-2005, 07:28 AM
Hi, Your painting with advancing well and it with an atmosphere
original, the colors are beautiful, only small reproach for me a
little too many blacks.

MDN67
01-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Your paint is very good, the color is great and the ligthing too, i like this good work