PDA

View Full Version : photoshop and painter 8, does video card matter?

ironfinger
10-20-2004, 11:25 PM
How does the graphics card affect the perfomance of photoshop and painter? Is the CPU or amount of ram more important?

Thanks

gigantor
10-20-2004, 11:55 PM
Painter 8 sucks on any system,heh. Most people still use 6,and are slowly migrating to 9 I guess.

-Vormav-
10-21-2004, 12:31 AM
The graphics card doesn't really have anything to do with 2D graphics programs as far as I know, unless you have a really really awful card. It's more about CPU and RAM.
But honestly, I don't think you'll be needing a very high-end system for 2D graphics. Unless you're using a crapload of filters and special effects very frequently, those apps aren't very resource intensive.

jbw
10-22-2004, 10:13 AM
The graphics card doesn't really have anything to do with 2D graphics programs as far as I know, unless you have a really really awful card. It's more about CPU and RAM.
But honestly, I don't think you'll be needing a very high-end system for 2D graphics. Unless you're using a crapload of filters and special effects very frequently, those apps aren't very resource intensive. Umm not sure about that - these apps can be resource intensive. RAM is the deciding factor with Photoshop and if you're doing print work I'd recommend you get 2gb RAM (or more if you run other programs along side it). A decent processor is always a bonus but I'd rate RAM more important.

Adobe recommend you have 3-5 times the file size of the image you are editing. If you run out of RAM it'll start using disk space (scratch disk) to process stuff. Photoshop will work best when it only deals with Ram rather than your HD. The best way to see whether you need more RAM is to look at the Efficiency indicator in the staus bar at the bottom of the screen (L-click the little black arrow). Anything below 100% indicates you're using the scratch disk. Anything below 75% and I'd recommend you get more RAM. Bear in mind the file sizes on your HD are not an indication of the size the image is when open in Photoshop.

Photoshop is dual processor capable - I believe this is only with filters but I've no personal experience with this to back it up.

As much as it pains me to say it, Ati cards are thought of as offering the best solution for 2d. But the majority of todays cards will do just fine.

I remember working on my Art A level in photoshop with files over 200mb with 80+ layers... all this on a AMD-K62 300mhz w/ 128mb RAM. Opening one of these files would take 10mins on that machine. Nuff said. :)

I'm not as experienced enough with Painter to provide any assistance.

ta,
jbw

Tarrbot
10-22-2004, 12:38 PM
As far as performance goes with Photoshop, it definitely doesn't have much to do with the video card. It's RAM and CPU dependent.

However, note that there are differences in your 2D display quality depending on which video card you use. Most people would never notice these differences since video cards have pretty much topped out 2D performance. For this reason, manufacturers like nVidia and ATI don't push 2D performance as much as a maker like Matrox does.

Like I said, most people wouldn't notice the difference between any video card made after 2000 in Photoshop use. It doesn't affect your final image either.

Bottom line, if you do any amount of 3D--be it gaming, modelling, animation, etc--get one of the 3D cards and you'll be fine. It doesn't affect your images and won't make a difference on your 2D work.

imashination
10-22-2004, 01:11 PM
The reality is that the screen you use for 2D work will have far more of a difference on the quality of image you get than the gfx card. Similarly getting it properly set up will also have a bigger difference than the card itself. If you are using DVI then for 2D work the card is almost entirely irrelevent

Tarrbot
10-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Nowadays, absolutely.

If you're just doing 2D work. Splurge on a better monitor.

Heck, splurge on a better monitor anyway. The monitor you choose today will likely follow you for 2.5 systems you use in the next 5 years or so.

ironfinger
10-22-2004, 07:14 PM
thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking about getting a notebook, so I was wondering what would be the best if only doing 2d. Since the GPU doesn't matter anymore, I have a lot more choices. I'm thiking lightweight and ultraportable so I can fit the laptop and wacom on a coffe shop table. What notebook would you guys suggest for this?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.