PDA

View Full Version : Eloquence, Linda Bergkvist (2D)

Enayla
10-20-2004, 10:06 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/45074/45074_1098441613_medium.jpg

Title: Eloquence
Name: Linda Bergkvist
Software: Photoshop

Working with my book, constantly it would seem - I finally decided I needed to do something unconnected to the book.
As for the picture - spent more time on it than I thought I would (given that there is no background to speak of), but I got fascinated with the curve of her back and the faint trace of muscles there. Aiming for a soft, discreet and quiet sort of look, here. No grand colours and nothing to interrupt the peace and silence.
Want to see some closeups?
http://www.fur/iae.com/images/eloquence-closeup1.jpg
http://www.fur/iae.com/images/eloquence-closeup2.jpg
http://www.fur/iae.com/images/eloquence-closeup3.jpg
(Edited version now uploaded - original version can be viewed at www.fur/iae.com/images/eloquence.jpg )

Jeffsimpson
10-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Well I'll be, that's great. The skin looks so soft and warm, very nice job on all of it. I like what you did to the birds wings too.

MartinNH
10-21-2004, 01:04 AM
Hi Linda, nice painting as always. I especially like the bird, the girls back and her feet. I think the proportions of the girl overall looks a bit off, her head seems quite big and her waist seems very thin. Her right foot looks a bit wrong compared to her left which is perfect. The arms look a bit big compared to especially her upper body.

LunaticSymphony
10-21-2004, 07:33 AM
the hanging strips of dirt and grime from the swing created some thoughts in my head as i scrolled down the painting.
i started at the top and came down once, thinking that the hand was beautifully in relation to the bird, two movements together, and then I gave it another look, and the hanging thread of moss or whatever it is made me think of something very disgusting hidden in part with the sweet innocence of the woman's back...her skin and her arms are peaceful, so are her feet, but it gave me a sense of opposites when I thought about it,still am.
keep it real.

unitstudio
10-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Exquisite as always Linda. Poignant, delicate and very beautiful...I have to say I'm especially impressed by the bird.. You've breathed life into it, which is an impressive feat..Actually I've noticed that birds seem to be a recurring motif in your recent work...

Thanks for sharing it...

-grant

gtidhar
10-21-2004, 07:45 AM
Doing it again Linda.

I am unaware of how much are you delibertly trying to express specific things in your paintings, but you are very emotionate and you show it in a wonderful way.

The first thing that comes in mind when seeing the painting is "void", "silence", "peace", "beauty". Judging from your words these are things you wanted to show. If I love art for something then it's for the emotions it can convey and your's is doing it big time.
Hey, I haven't written a single response for months now (work, work, work), and in your case I could not help but say a word or two.

So just know you have a big fan here in Israel! :love:

techart
10-21-2004, 09:20 AM
awesome man...nide painting...but I think her head is alittle bit too big......in rest Ilove iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit......cheers

Opeth
10-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Great image Linda - Excellent lighting and as usual - I can't understand how you manage to make the skin so .. well.. skin like :)

I'm a little scared to say this but... isn't the head a little too large?

Enayla
10-21-2004, 09:56 AM
Jeffsimpson: Thank you kindly :] Iíve tried painting birds many times (itís a small theme of mine, if you will), but itís always so difficult to get the look of something actually flying, not just suspended. Iím glad you like how the wings were done.

Martin NH: Hi, and thank you :D I know the proportions in the image are a little bit off. It was entirely intentional (for once), her being a pixy-like creature and me wanting to make her seem small, and not quite human. Iím beginning to understand that the effect I was looking for doesnít quite come through Ė maybe Iíll go back and alter it. Weíll see :] (as for the waist Ė even if I do alter the head and arms, the waist will stay. I wanted her like one of those 18th century ladies, super-thin waist and buxom hips)

LunaticSymphony: Glad you noticed the details on the swing! Wasnít sure if those would come through at all. Thank you for your kind comment :D

unitstudio: Thank you :D And yes, the birds are showing up on a quite regular basis in my work. Perhaps not so much in my last few images for the fairytale book Ė the paintings having details that fit their themes there Ė but no oneís seen them, soÖ (wish so much I could show them, ah well)

gtidhar: For the most part, there is quite a lot of things I aim to express in a painting, I just generally donít feel like forcing them on people: either itís noticed or itís not. Iím so happy you picked up on the emotional undercurrents, and thank you so much for your comment <3

techart: heheh, like I said to Martin, the big head was intentional. I suppose her pixy-like body (small body, thin waist, wide hips and big head) didnít quite come across like I intended it :/ Well, canít always get everything I want, eh? :D Thank you!

Opeth: Opeth Ė picked the nickname from the awesome group? Thank you, on regards to the skin Ė I love painting skin. I made a painting recently only to get to do some fun skin tones http://www.furiae.com/images/brightblue.jpg and I sincerely wish I had more time to play around with that. Like I said to the others, I did intend the head to be big, but Iím starting to realise I might have to shrink it just a little, since so many people are noticing it. I want things to be subtle.

Art2
10-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Inspiring stuff as always, and it's not that dark as some of your other paintings (which I also
love, don't get me wrong :) ) And that bird is just lovely.

The girls head looks a bit too big at first glance, but after a closer look I can see that the girl
is a bit small. And looking at her face, she looks Asian. So to me the head made sence.
It's just how she is. I wouldn't change it, it is what you were aiming for.

I-NetGraFX
10-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Excellent, moody and inpspiring work!

Somehow the pupil of your last mate seems to be elliptic like a cat-eye.
Is that intended?

Anyway, congrats to your awesome artworks!:applause:

Cheers, Daniel :arteest:

MoonVisionStudio
10-21-2004, 01:08 PM
WOW! Fabulous mood, technique, color. So difficult (for me) to paint a figure with such subtle muscle tone, or lack there of, and still have it look so gorgeous! The only thing I would like to see different is her hair gently blowing in the breeze. The rest of her is so sensual, yet her hair doesnt have much appeal to me.

Thanks for sharing!

Jose

P.S. The bird is simply amazing!

giza
10-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Really an amazing tecnique, the feets and the bird are great. Soft and greatly realized image.

MartinNH
10-21-2004, 03:42 PM
That second painting is amazing, you really master the use of skintones. Very inspiring :)

I think her pupils stand out a bit, maybe they are to sharp or maybe the highlights could be placed differently. Nice work on the hair and her lips especially!

Opeth
10-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi Linda.. first of all, yes, the nickname is indeed an implication of my admiration towards the band... I don't like the genre much anymore, but Opeth is something different.
As for the Skin shading, may i ask a question? I assume not all your work is done with reference. Right? Well, could you try explaining the colors you use when making skin in order to have the sub surface light scattering effect?
I know making realistic skin material is a tough job not only for me and i'm sure alot of people will greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

zzzak
10-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Linda,,, as always your work is absolutely stunning... the skintones in the first image show me that you still like to push that really smooth but desaturated look... and i like that you say it was to accentuate form... it's almost like a fading dream transcribed directly into the computer - and i love it!... I've seen the second image on your site and it's a wonderful portrait. It seems like you exaggerated the color of the skin and size of the eyes - which is an interesting way to accentuate the look that blonde-haired and blue-eyed people often have. I have nothing else to say that others on the forum haven't said already,,, so keep up the amazing work!...

ivanNYC
10-22-2004, 02:26 AM
Great Mood , very subtle... great impressionist feeling throughout the painting, i wish i could be subtle as that LOL:)

frilansspion
10-22-2004, 03:03 AM
beautiful! to make something look tiny with nothing to refer to sizewise within the image (in fact only the bird which speaks of the opposite, as could the details on the swing) is a difficult concept indeed. I know nothing of pixies, but the arm(s) is almost as thick as the leg, it looks a little odd. big head with small body would fit the pixie idea I guess. and what is blurred and not is a little random isnt it?
other than that Ive got nothing! =) Im going to go back to admiring the pic again. thank ye for yer art and fer putting sweden on the cg map =)

redcircle
10-22-2004, 03:37 AM
good work!

pdobq
10-22-2004, 04:21 AM
wonderfull work!

very good!

Ideafix
10-22-2004, 04:33 AM
Awesome work, I love the colours of the skin and the overall mood achieved. Simply great! :thumbsup:

Do you work with a wacom tablet or just mouse and lots of patience? sorry if my question is kinda newbie, but Iīve been painting with photoshop for quite a while and could never achieve that kind of realism.

Again, congrats on the great work!

phoenix
10-22-2004, 04:35 AM
very cute work dear...nice

Pufferfish
10-22-2004, 05:48 AM
Stunning piece of art! Both pieces are great. Expression on that staring girl's face is very good and those eyes...O_O captivating! ..again stunning as always.:arteest:

-pfish

techart
10-22-2004, 07:01 AM
Jees...nice portrait again man.....didn't read everything so didn't know that the big head was intentionaly.......my mistake...cheers......great models..

character
10-22-2004, 07:01 AM
your work never ceases to amaze me. i'm digging the big head. i know people like that. literaly tho, not like big-headed in the sense of ego =p anyways, thanks for sharing this with us =) peace peace

-guillermo

ps. oh btw, i sent you an email about linking to your site but never got anything back, i'm sure you're busy so i'll just ask here, mind if i link to your site from mine? thanks =)

HenningK
10-22-2004, 07:05 AM
You're very talented, obviously. I think the upper body is disproportionately large, however and especially her left arm. If it was intentional, it needs more exaggeration.
-hen

pandaA
10-22-2004, 07:10 AM
splendid and very poetic! I like the subtleties and the motion blur! :)
awesome work!!

Christoph_H84
10-22-2004, 07:10 AM
Beautiful work, as always! Her skin looks just abamzing. It's so soft and smoth. Your really a master a skintones.

Lunatique
10-22-2004, 07:48 AM
Lovely work, as all your works are. That skintone image is just gorgeous. I'm a total sucker for that kind of ethereal beauty, and try to portray that with my own works, so when I see you pull it off so nicely, it makes me feel like such a slacker!

The swing image's cropping works, but with all the recognizable shapes on the left/top, the negative space on the right/bottom becomes a little contived. Maybe if the clouds formed at the right/bottom too, it would make it less so.

vrapp
10-22-2004, 08:32 AM
The only word that comes to my mind right now is Stunning, Linda!
You've captured a really nice mood and the composition works well too.

You truly continue to amaze and inspire me, it's thanks to artists like you that I study digital graphics. :)

I hope that didn't come out too corny.. :D

xLess
10-22-2004, 08:57 AM
good...:thumbsup:

Dutchman
10-22-2004, 09:01 AM
WOW! Really impresive! This piece of art looks so very smooth and emotional...!

Just WOW....!

Skjoldbroder
10-22-2004, 09:17 AM
like the colour scheme, looks very classical painting-like. reminds me of some of the stuff you did for d'artiste as well (obviously, i guess)

nice, i like it. clouds are nice, too.

all the best.
/plaf

Atwooki
10-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Stunning work as always, Linda!
Great composition, and subtlety of skin tones/colour palette to die for - lovely :)
Only crit would be that as she's a pixie, wouldn't making her body smaller in relation to the swing and the bird have suggested this better? just a thought....

A.

Self-Designer
10-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Wow! This is really amazing! And more then that, I immidately recalled "Songs under the apple tree (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=79437)" and had to check if it's yours as well and it is! More then the amazing image and realistic touch, there's that calm feeling in the composition, in the bird and in her skin that made me that connection to the apple paint, which is a wonderful thing, just so amazing! :love:

Enayla
10-22-2004, 09:27 AM
http://www.furiae.com/images/eloquence2.jpg

Art2: Thank you much :) It is indeed not as dark, at all - I do occasionally sit down and paint something more cheerful (thus the reason why this does not go well with my book at all: a little too tranquil). I wouldn't normally have changed the head, but I did do a small edit of her - because so many people had taken note of the problem. I might update the original file if the edited one is more approved of :)

I-NetGraFX: Thank you :D The pupils of the skin-tone picture are, indeed, elongated - some people have actually sent me overpaints of this one with round pupils. I'm not entirely sure how I could have accidentally made the pupils so long and slender :D But there you go. Thanks <3

Jose Pardo: Thanks :D And gosh, you're probably right about the hair. I got a little engrossed in it, it was SUPPOSED to blow gently in the wind. Then I painted all the curls before I got distracted by the bird. Now I sort of feel like locks of her hair would detract from the bird :/ I'll see, I'll play around a little this weekend and see if I can make it look good. Thanks again!

Giza: Thank you kindly :] The feet are usually the most difficult part for me - I always have to reference them off of my own (or one of my friends') to pull it off.

Martin NH: Thanks :D I did make the pupils with the intention of having them 'pop', but you're likely right: the edges could do with a little more blur. This being just a 'practice' in skin tones, though (and this the only place where I've posted it in public, aside from my site), I don't think I'll work more on it. Promise next image will SO have better pupils though :D

Opeth: Glad to hear you like Opeth :] I've long considered them one of my favourite groups (especially when the singer 'sings' rather than 'growling', he he he).

As for skin shading, oh I can't believe I did this - but I put together a tiny little tutorial for your sake (and anyone else who cares to view it). The thing with the skintones, is that I generally pick different colours for every image - for different reasons. But a few things are usually chosen for the same reason. My highlighting colour tends to be even of a blue, turquoise or cold yellow, and my shading colour is often purple, blue or green (to be mixed with red).

The image below is really more an example of how I go about picking colours - sometimes a very conscious process (as was the case with the skintone image, the illustration below is pretty much exactly those colours, and how I thought when I chose them), at other times it's a wild gamble - sometimes those work out much better. To make the tones more varied, I usually mix them with a speckled brush in Photoshop, set to opacity, brushing back and forth across the colours.

http://www.furiae.com/images/skintones.jpg

I hope this was what you were wondering about :] Otherwise I've just wasted your time, my time, and everyone else's time with a useless, if tiny, tutorial.

Zzzak: Hi there, and good to see you again :] And yeah, the desaturated look has always been 'my' look, if you will. Or, well, since I sort of swerved away from the glitzy-glam sort of fantasy images of my earlier painting days. I quite enjoy it. As for the skintones, yes, they're exaggerated - them being a practice in skin tones and all, but also because (as you point out) I wanted to pick out the unique colouring of a lot of blonde people. I have many blonde friends (among which, the girl who usually models for my paintings), but I rarely paint blonde people. Have no idea why. Thanks :D

ivanNYC: Aw, thanks :]

frilansspion: Heheh, took me a couple of moments to realise that your username is Swedish. I get so confused with insomnia. Take a peek at the arms and such on the edited version above (as for the blurred look, yes, might seem a bit accidental - but in this picture I did most of the stuff because I found it beautiful, artistic license if you will, heheh). Thank you <3

pdobq: thanks! :]

phoenix: Thankee :]

Pufferfish: Aw, thank you kindly <3

Techart: Heheh, I hadn't said the big head was intentional: I suck. But I made it smaller in the edited version, perhaps you'll like that better?

Character: I know people like that, too :] I kept the head big in the edited version, but sliiightly smaller :] Thanks! :D And of course you can link me, see absolutely no reason why not!

HenningK: Thank you :] I did some editing of her proportions, since my 'slight' exaggeration obviously didn't work (me being of a discreet nature, I generally can't do anything if I don't do it in a subtle manner).

pandaA: Thankee :}

Christoph_H84: Thanks :] It's lovely to hear that you like my skintones: it really took me a long while to work out any kind of shading techniques that made skintones 'live'.

Lunatique: You are absolutely right - and I have no argument. Nothing, except me having tried to add something in the bottom right and everything ending up looking like utter crap. I did try yet another time after having seen your post (and thus ended up doing the edits seen above), but I just can't seem to do it. Everything I add, even wisps of clouds, ends up not fitting in.

I think I'll have to leave it this way for a while and maybe go back later. I've stared myself blind at the image now and am starting to hate it (in the way I do once I get sick of my own work). SoooÖ for later, I suppose :D Thanks :D

Sysop: Aw <3 Thank you very much :]

xLess: Thanks!!

Dutchman: Thank you :D

Plaf: Thank you :] I suppose this one is quite reminiscent of my 'Calamity of Touch', except with a calmer, sweeter mood :]

Atwooki: Thanks :D And, heheh, it certainly would have - if I didn't have eggs for brains and the bird looked awful when I tried to make it even a tiny bit bigger than it was (it was three times as big as it is, for a long while when I was painting, but it looked stupider and stupider by the minute. Shrinking it really removed most of the stupid-look to it). But, gah, you are so right :}

Zoontjens
10-22-2004, 09:31 AM
absolutely impressive!

it makes me really dream about the character and her story...I want to touch her so soft is she!

but is it me or are her upper arms a little thick for such a cute girl? Or has she practised martial arts? I guess the arm contours should go a little inwards above the elbow...

I really love the rest of the body exaggerations!

hoping to once become as good as you :)
Ralph

Enayla
10-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Artist 3D: Sneaky! You managed to post in between me looking through my post all quick-like, and me actually posting - I hardly even noticed your message lodged in there. At any rate - thank you very much. I am always thrilled to hear that people recognise my work as by the same artist (always sort of worrying that I don't have a style and way of painting of my own) :]

Zoontjens: Hi :D And thank you - and yes, they were (thick, that is). Check the edited version, does it look better?

Self-Designer
10-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Artist 3D: ...I am always thrilled to hear that people recognise my work as by the same artist (always sort of worrying that I don't have a style and way of painting of my own)...?
No, i've seen some of your works and even though you have a style in a way, it's not narrow. Some of your paintings are a bit creepy, just to think that the same person that did those two amazingly-calmed paintings did the others... like a dark side... ;) buauaa... And even those two are so different. When I returned to the apples painting I was shocked it's totaly different than that one. It's much more colorful... I'm not sure how i remembered it... oh well :)

sonicstrawbery
10-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Niece piece of art, i really like the softness of the painting and nimbleness of the girl, it's really beautfiul

CptObvious
10-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Beautiful rendering :) Her head is imho little to big.

Szishren
10-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Stunning, as per usual. (Even though this is my first comment on one of your images, it isn't the first I've ever seen.)

Before you uploaded the edited version, I also felt the head was a bit too big. But after reading your reason and staring at it for a longer time, it all just fell into place. Sort of like a mental click that made everything fall in the right perspective. And with that in mind, I liked the original version better. :p Just needed some time to really appreciate it.

Goro
10-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Linda the skintones are fantastic as usual!
Stunning work as usual!

And btw. thnx again for signing my D'artiste book at siggraph :)

thx1138
10-22-2004, 11:12 AM
What more can I say, excellent. I really love the way the light hits her from below as you can seen clearly on her lower legs. Also the fact that she seems to be hanging in emtpy space, with no visible ground or any structure, apart from the swing is nice.

:thumbsup:

Deadlyforce
10-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Great work as always. I won't repeat what as already been said (great colors, mood etc...)except that the size of the head is the biggest problem ;-)

It's somehow reassuring to see that the very best of us can do some mistakes sometimes:D
(Assuming that proportions is the biggest difficulty in graphic design I think...)

Kyena
10-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Your use of color is just so incredible inspirational.
It seems like you are much more modelling a painting then actually painting it (thinking of your section in D'artiste). And what I really REALLY envy you for is that you paint feet so realistically.

It's so totally easy to recognize your style and I think that is the most amazing point an artist can actually reach.

What I was always wondering..do you just "feel" the right colors while picking them or do you also apply colors and then realize it's the totally wrong value next to the colors you already have applied? I am so really bad with color picking..I tend to try 4 or 5 times to really find a value that's not too saturated or too close to the one already applied.

Garma
10-22-2004, 12:14 PM
this is stunning.

speechless.

Eldarion
10-22-2004, 12:29 PM
i love this picture...
awesome great work

greetz
el

Mysterious X
10-22-2004, 12:47 PM
sky belnds so well with the image...only the head..a bit too big...great graet portrate..love the bird and cool colors..keep it up :thumbsup:

Taharez
10-22-2004, 01:52 PM
Pure magic, like taken from a dream. My only crit would be the empty space already mentioned, personally I think the image works better cropped down so only the the girl and the bird are in view ( I did a 350x700px cutout from the original ). IMHO anything added to the empty space would detract from the focus as it is. Just beautiful as it is of course ;)

I'm really curious on the book of yours btw, will be interesting to see. On that note, any chance of the story for this painting to come up seeing as you won't be using it in the book ? :D

stylEmon
10-22-2004, 03:00 PM
I think the girl in the swing is great. It feels like a Baroque oil painting. I see what you are trying to accomplish with the large head and I think it works. Most petite girls have normal heads and your girl feels very petite. I think you have recieved some pretty petty critisism on this thread. It seems to me that some one with such skill would realize the effects of certain techniques. For example, the eyes on the face, your art feels very mystic to me and I think the ovular eyes add mystic to the piece. Great work, stay with your own style, they'll eventually get it.

monovich
10-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Love this piece. Regarding what some others have said about her head, I think the size is perfect because it gives her more of a sense of youth (i.e babies heads are 40% of their body, Adults much much less). She seems to be in the tween years instead of her 20s, which I like, it gives the whole painting more of a sense of innocence and wonder.

If I could, I would hang this on my wall. The palette is gorgeous, by the way.

Also like the slant of the painting, doesn't seem vouyeristic ("ke ke ke, naked girl!") or exploitative of the feminie.

great job!

r3mix
10-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Another beautiful painting! Excellento job. :)

malcolmvexxed
10-22-2004, 05:07 PM
Nice work but the proportions I feel are off. nice color choices

nomad2323
10-22-2004, 06:44 PM
the paintings in this thread are amazing. the skin is so incredible. I'm in love

olijosman
10-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Great work indeed! precious color tones ... beautiful and smooth painting and... pretty feet!:)
:applause:

mmountain
10-23-2004, 12:09 AM
that looks great, looks like you pulled off what you meant to do :)

only thing that confuses me is her hair on her right shoulder. She has some really thick hair, it seems a little strange there isnt any hint of that showing past her right arm, or on the right side of her body. Was this a compositional choice? oooooooorr just 'cause? :)

i really love the feel and depth of it, great stuff.

pyroboy
10-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Wow.. That makes me hot.. That is just amazing. I have done some cool things in Photoshop.. But nothing even close to that.. I am at a lose for words.

oxyg3n
10-23-2004, 03:27 AM
Beautiful work,

I really like how it turned out.

zandernice
10-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Great job.

Enayla
10-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Artist 3D: Heheh, I actually enjoy painting 'creepy' more than I enjoy painting 'cute' (but commissioned work has a tendency to be less dark and unsettling than what I would usually choose to do, and sometimes I get ideas for paintings that are brighter and calmer, like this one). And it's funny how one can remember a painting looking entirely different than it actually does. Songs Under the Appletree is, indeed, very bright in colours. Likely the most colourful picture I've done so far.

Cipher: Thank you :]

Tiger1313: Still too big? D: But I made it so much smaller? Well, I can see where you're coming from, but this time I'm sticking with the size :} Thank you!

Szishren: Well, that's the thing - I don't want to have to explain something to make it believable. People still think the head is too big, but now I'm mainly sticking to my vision: it's going to be a little bigger than a normal head. After all, anatomy varies wildly from person to person :] Thank you!

Goro: Thanks <3 And it was entirely my pleasure :]

Thx1138: Thankee :] The light hitting from below, well, it took me a while to decide on that. There's no visible light source making that possible, after all, but I opted for artistic license and went ahead with it -- the legs looked dull without it.

Deadly Force: Well, I did make the head smaller ;] I don't think it's 'too big', anymoreÖ I think it's big but not enough so to make it unnatural :) Thank you though.

Kyena: Hm, modelling a painting - that's an interesting way to see it. How did you come to that conclusion? As for feet - I can't paint feet without some sort of reference, in this case my own fugly footsies. I suspect I'm getting better at it, and won't need any reference before too long, but so farÖ without reference, they end up looking somewhat twisted. (It's funny, that - things that you think look ugly, are also difficult to paint. I hate feet, I never look at anyone's feet, I never study them because I think they are unappealing. Consequently, they are also very difficult for me to paint. Whereas I am obsessed with lips and always seem to spend the most time in a painting with the shape of a fine pair of lips, and their colour).

Colours -- I tend to feel them, and get them rather right with the first try. Admittedly, I often end up editing them a little, and occasionally I have to recolour the entire thing. My problem is that I sometimes pick colours so subtle that I'll be the only one noticing the painting isn't entirely monochrome :/

Garma: Thank you :D

Mysterious X: Thank you :]

Taharez: Hm, maybe you are right about that. Cropping is usually one of my weak points. I have an idea with empty space surrounding the 'filled in' areas, at time, wanting to represent emptiness, loneliness or detachment - but that's one of those things that most people don't notice so perhaps I should try to work away from that. Thank you for your advice, though - I think I'm leaving it as it is this time around, but try to do away with the empty fluff the next time :D

stylEmon: Hey, wow, someone who agrees with me on the size of her head :D I don't think the criticism is petty, though - I can see where they're coming from. At the end of the day, it's a little about tastes, I suppose. Sometimes, I paint things with perfect anatomy and I'm happy that way. Sometimes, I want someone who looks a little different. Thanks <3

monovich: Aw, thank you for your kind comment. She is partly naked but I tried hard not to make her seem - well, you know, 'sexual' in that sense. I don't think the naked body needs to be gawked at all times, nor should it be a dirty thing that turns any painting into a sexual thing, you know?

Trigon: Thanks :)

Malcolmvexxed: Thanks :]

Nomad2323: Why, thank you :D

Olijosman: Hey, I always have to check how I spell your name at least a couple of times. Did I get it right this time, hehe? Thank you - that means a lot coming from you.

Mmountain: Thanks :] And yeah, the hair was intentionalÖ or rather, whenever I painted locks that swept over her shoulder, they ended up annoying me. I painted a lock, left it there for five minutesÖ and then went back to erase it. Would paint a new one a little laterÖ erase it. In the end, I decided I would leave her neck rather bare, with the curve of her shoulders uninterrupted. Sometimes paintings have a life of their own :]

Pyroboy: Aw, thanks :]

Oxyg3n: Thanks :D

Zandernice: Thank you :)

If I've missed giving any responses, it's not intentional, I get confused answering so many messages, is all.

Thanks again for all the comments, folks <3

Chrono000
10-23-2004, 09:33 AM
The feel is totaly cool. and the plan background is best. the way u blur the wings to show the bird flapping fast works good, good idea ill use that :D

Great

Riddick
10-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Exquisite as always Linda. All is so delicate and very beautiful...
Thank you for the advise, the tutorial.
And thank you for all the splendid girls that you always make!

e338
10-23-2004, 09:46 AM
beautiful, subtle, peacefull. The lady is nice, feet are amazing.

I also like the bird a lot.
The lady's face, in the middle of your thread, is RRRReally great.

take care

Opeth
10-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi Linda!
Thanks so much for your time! that was exactly what i was wondering about and you elucidated it quite well!
I'm sure other ppl here also benefit (you can't say benefited right?) from it :)

(About Opeth, my stance on the subject opposes growling very strictly, but when the music is good i sometime just make myself "screen" the growling out in my head as i do with Cynic and Atheist...which i recommend to any progressive metal fan)

dwin
10-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Nice job... :) :scream:

olijosman
10-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Perfect spelling!:) ejeje... your work is always an pleasant surprise

meathead
10-26-2004, 03:23 PM
Nice work!

LaoTzu
10-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Beautiful work Linda, very inspiring.... I must say IMHO the head is just perfect for the body. The human body is rarely in a state of perfection in nature and I think it portrays a subtly beauty in its life like realism of the natural human imperfection.

Supreme emotion here (to me anyways), I love it; the perpetual calm that surrounds the subjects, and that beautifully crafted bird just does something magical to the piece. Great Job!!!

The thing that jumps out toward my eye is the bight overcast of the left arm that gives an almost plastic shine to the arm. That likely came out the wrong way, but I'm having trouble expressing the shear pickiness of the upper left arm. None the less a beautiful piece that has captured my imagination... Thanks.

Nehym
10-27-2004, 03:56 AM
Absolutly gorgeous artwork, as always. ;) I am always amazed by the colors you pick in every of your work and the subtle shading or hints of colors you often (or should i say always? :p) use is a real feast for the eyes when it is combined with the details you usually put in your pictures.

I am a bit reticent about the idea of talking about the size of the head -again-, because it has been mentionned so often already so since my thoughts about it are not negative well i will only jump to the next subject.

To me, the "emptiness" in the bottom right corner, even if it seems, well, empty, serves well the image and the feel you intended it to have. I don't think it would look better cropped. As it was mentionned in one of your response i guess, it does give a better feeling of loneliness and silence. Even more since she is sitting on a swing in the sky and that we are not seeing what it is hanging from. Really serve the feeling of just being there, in the immensity of the sky. In my opinion, i'd tell you to not touch a thing. I really like the way it is right now. (having it as my new wallpaper shows it well i guess... :))

e-apollo
10-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Hi Linda,

This is most likely the first time I ever posted on a forum that relates to your work! I'm quite excited to see something new from you and this is, yet again, something quite beautiful and inspiring (as many has put it already). Sorry if I may even sound like a broken record and even my criqitue would sound repetitive too. But, alas, I'll just throw off a side comment on your section in D'Artiste! I quite enjoy reading your commentary and expertise in digital painting. Quite solves my questions when I tend to paint digitally.

I hope to see more of your work soon and thanks for sharing! :)

bolchover
10-28-2004, 01:47 PM
nicely atmospheric, bird and feet are super, her flesh has a nice warmth to it - very much like neoclassical painting. But the proportions are wrong: the head is too large, the arms too thick for the thin body, the perspective of the legs looks wrong somehow to me. Just work a bit on human proportions.:) Anyhow, the composition is good and execution of line/colour nice :)

Luke Mrozek
10-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Love Your artwork, Linda. This piece has very nice mood.

ditchman
10-28-2004, 04:31 PM
love the dreamlike quality to this

SteelPixel
11-02-2004, 05:07 AM
Gorgeous stuff, I'm new here so I haven't really seen anything else of yours yet, girl on the swing; awesome very subtle, the portrait; I'm having a problem w/ the eyes, not because of the elliptical pupils that I like but the (viewers) right eye seems a bit lazy, eyes are very difficult I am well aware of :) but just a comment that it seems either just a bit off or "blurry" or something I can't quite nail it but anyway just nitpicking, great stuff

bruuz
11-05-2004, 06:29 AM
im truly amazed by your work....so beautiful!
id love to know your work tools and if you work with references...its great to know youre from sweden too really:) my husband is swedish and i hope to see it soon:)

congrats...its a beautiful painting:)

johanflood
11-09-2004, 09:23 PM
another cute postcard :) I just feel like listen to slayer when watching it :) I dunno I get fed up with halfnaked woman/men in romantic poses :) Surprice me once with something more rough :)

watteville
11-10-2004, 07:57 PM
so good, i wish you so much luck!

theres a minime detail in the interaction between face and bird in the first picture, distance accordancy maybe
excellent, thank you

Enayla
11-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Chrono000 : Heheh, blurring wings to show movement is hardly my idea, is it? :D thanks!

Riddick: Why, thank you kindly :]

e338: Thank you :) Itís funny how the ladyís face (which Iíve hardly posted anyway since itís just a study) is so popular :] Iíve never thought it anything special. I draw so many faces (itís what I love the most)

Opeth: Glad I was able to be a little helpful :D Skintones are SO difficult.

Dwin: Thanks :D

Olijosman: heheh, thank you :]

Meathead: Thanks :}

LaoTzu: Thank you :] That was a nice, long and eloquent comment Ė quite a pleasure to read. As for the arm, oh my, youíre very right about that. Itís been so long since I painted the picture now, though, that Iíve quite lost the heart for it. I couldnít possibly go back and continue on it. I sometimes wonder if Iím the only one who gets that Ė I hate editing pictures once theyíre done, even if Iíve made some horrid mistakes in them. The computer makes it so EASY to edit things but I still donít like doing it, somehow, not if Iíve waited for too long.

Lilie: Thank you very kindly :] Itís so interesting to see Ė some thinking the head is way too big, others thinking itís perfect, and some find the cropping poor and others believe it quite fitting. Itís always like that with a new picture Ė if I tried to edit according to everyoneís wishes, Iíd be going insane :D So I think I am, indeed, leaving it just as it is for now. Thank you.

Adagio: Thank you :] And Iím thrilled you liked my section of Díartiste. It was such a challenge to write, as Iím not really used to sharing what I know in that manner (I do hold photoshop classes, but thatís different). Glad you appreciated it :D

Bolchover: Thank you :]

Luke Mrozek: Thanks :D It was mostly mood I was going for, in this. Most of my paintings have a darker theme by far.

Ditchman: Thanks :)

SteelPixel: Thank you :D Youíre probably right about the eye. Itís just a skin colour study, though, and was posted for that purpose Ė I donít think Iíll go back and fix it at this point. I will definitely keep your comment in mind for my next face painting, though :)

Bruuz: Aw, thank you :) I hope youíll like it in Sweden Ė itís quite beautiful where I live. Wouldnít want to leave home for anything in the world.

Johanflood: Heh, I donít really paint only pretty ladies and boys. But if thatís how you want to view my work, be welcome to Ė I paint what I like to paintÖ which is what I hope all other artists do as well. There are enough excellent artists that do rough and rumble Ė awesome people painting guns and violence by far more skilfully than I ever couldÖ as I donít find it the least bit interesting and fascinating. I paint fairytales. Itís what Iíll continue to do :] Do go ahead and listen to Slayer, I usually listen to Tool or Opeth, finding Slayer a bit dull ;]

I'm sorry, I just get that a lot, and it is beyond me why someone would try to convince an artist to paint something other than what they want to. I do not try to convince others to paint, say, more feminine men or less buxom women - that's up to them.

Watteville: Thank you :D

Nguyen
11-11-2004, 06:51 PM
wow that is beautiful art

AMoN-AMoK
11-14-2004, 08:55 PM
http://img121.exs.cx/img121/9084/garfield10.jpgNICE WORK!

Nickii
11-14-2004, 10:49 PM
I've been a huge fan for a while now,I absolutly love your work.
I've only using a tablet for a few months now and still don't have the fluidity that you have,but I'm working on it .
Very inspiring .
Thank you

Kyena
11-26-2004, 09:31 AM
How did you come to that conclusion?
Hmm - I did read your part in d'artiste. One of your point is that you mention you need to "feel" the shape of the head before you can go on painting..that you don't like the impression of having a flat circle to draw on and I can totally follow that way of thinking. Also the process you go through to me seems like modelling rather then painting. This is hard to explain really..you don't seem to think in lines or shapes only like a lot of painters still do..but rather colors and shapes..

Doh sorry - I can't really explain it and should rather stop then probably make an idiot out of myself :D.

Oh and I really did enjoy the book as well. Each artist gave me something special to think about for myself. I remember that Phils section totally surprised me because he seems to have happy accidents as well (and I always thought it's kind of embarassing that it happens a lot to me).

johanflood
12-25-2004, 09:49 PM
With rough I ment more like painting old people and people with realisitic proportions etc.

TiCool
03-02-2005, 05:15 AM
Quite n soft...I hear the bird swinging its wing...I hear the air flows ...touching on her skin...

What a drawing!!!:thumbsup::applause:

Vision_of_Escaflowne
05-23-2005, 09:50 PM
wonderful

this picture made me cry

Jonasz
12-04-2005, 07:35 PM
they say the one picture can replace 1000 words... :drool: excellent.

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2005, 07:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.