PDA

View Full Version : Is bigger better for tablets?

TS_museacart
10-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Ok, first off I the only tablet I've used ever is my trusty, and really old Wacom 4x5 Pen Partner, this is why I ask this question. I want to get a new tablet, mostly 'cos I can't use my old one with my new powerbook, and the PC I have is almost as ancient as the tablet, but I'm not sure of which I should buy. I've heard great things about the Intuos2 tablets, mostly the tilt sensitivity thing, and I havn't heard anything about the Graphire3 tablets. I only have enough money to get either a 4x5 intuos2(thanks to the release of the intuos3) or I could get a 6x8 Graphire3. My question here is really, is it better to have a larger tablet with less features or a smaller one with more? I see the really great artwork that everyone here produces, so i figure this is a good place to ask this question. Any help anyone can give me would really help, since I'd like to get my new tablet soon.
Thanks

MartinNH
10-20-2004, 09:29 PM
The bigger your tablet the more precise you can be in your strokes, so I'd go for the big tablet with less features. I've had an intuos 2 a4 for 2 years now and it's been great. I recently upgraded to a intuos 3 a4 but the difference between the two isn't that big appart from the extra buttons and touchpads on the intuos 3. So you'll be safe by buying the intuos 2 :)

ambient-whisper
10-20-2004, 09:53 PM
depends on the way you draw, and the size of your monitor.

if you did a lot of life drawing in the past then you probably draw with your arm, and less from your wrist. so you need more space

if you did a lot of comic book type drawings, or small sketches then a 6x8, or smaller tablet will be perfect for you, because you make small flicks with your wrist.

ofcourse if you have a huge monitor ( with a big resolution )then having a tablet thats too small will affect your strokes as well. because now you will only have to very slightly move your pen on a small tablet to move accross like 1/2 a monitor.

so you should be able to answer this yourself, if you think about what your needs are.

my recommendation is not to overdo it, because then you wont be able to fit the tablet onto your table, or between your monitor and keyboard. ( or whatever setup you will use. )

Hazdaz
10-20-2004, 10:29 PM
I don't think it matters (but like was posted above it depends on the way you draw). I have a regular Wacom 4x5 and probably use only 1/4 of it - with the rest as just a place to put my wrist. Ofcourse I am the same way with my mouse - I probably don't move my mouse more than ~1" in any direction.

DevilHacker
10-20-2004, 10:42 PM
I probably don't move my mouse more than ~1" in any direction.Strange... Come to think about it...
I do the same... Wow I never noticed!

But I would go with a bigger tablet, because if you go with a small one, and need a larger work area you will be screwed... :)

TS_museacart
10-20-2004, 10:51 PM
does the fact that the intuos has tilt recognition and twice the levels of pressure sensitivity make a huge difference? That seems to be the big difference between the two I'm looking at(the intuos2 and the Graphire3), I guess what I'm trying to find out is if the extra pressure sensitivity and the tilt sensitivity are important features, more important than the tablet size. Thanks for the comments already though, i hadn't thought about the drawing style things as far as size.

theCloudmover
10-20-2004, 11:17 PM
I have a Wacom 6x8 Intuos2. You really don't need a big tablet because it has, in my opinion, no bearing on creating the picture. A big tablet won't make your work on a 1" x 2" or 20" x 30" illustration any easier or different than a small one. You zoom and shrink so much when you're drawing that the actual Physical height & width of your file becomes nothing more than a number.

I'm working on a 20x 30 poster. Last night I drew a 26" straight line from one side of the image to the other on my little 6"x8" tablet. The buzz word everybody uses to describe this is "virtual" and it fits.

If you're in the market for a tablet, measure how much space you have on your computer desk and get a size to fit that. Spend the extra money on a great monitor.

... and get an Intuos2 or 3 the tilt and the extra levels of sensitivity make a HUGE difference.

TS_museacart
10-21-2004, 06:17 AM
thanks so much everyone for your comments. As i'm currently sharing space on my drawing table for my computer, and its a 12" powerbook(with a 12.1" screen) and hearing that the tilt and extra sensitivity levels make a huge difference, I think I will be getting the 4x5" intuos2 tablet, to hold me over until i can afford a larger model, and a larger monitor. You guys really helped me out a bunch. Huge thanks to all that commented.
cheers
-TS :D

rebo
10-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Sorry to disagree, but i suggest a 6x8 intuos instead of a 4x5 intuos. Unless you got tiny hands i think a 4x5 is too small.

TS_museacart
10-22-2004, 03:15 AM
unfortunately I can't afford the 6x8 intuos tablet(as stated earlier in the post) or I would be getting that one. I was really trying to find out if the feature set of the intuos was more important than the size of the tablet, because i can afford a 6x8 Graphire3. If you would, however like to spot me the $100 difference to get a 6x8, I'll gladly accept, as most poor college students would ^_^
I do agree that the 4x5 is tiny, but I also agree with the earlier comment: You zoom and shrink so much when you're drawing that the actual Physical height & width of your file becomes nothing more than a number.

Thanks for the advise again all.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.