PDA

View Full Version : Exporting to Rhino 3D help

spenney
10-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to export a test model to a friend who has Rhino 3D. I've tried every export script I could get my hands on:

3ds
wavefront obj
dxf
wings 3d
ac3d
raw triangle
truespace
object file format
won't let me export in lightwave
stl
nendo

So far, he can read none of them. Is there any special way I should export the files (have all the active elements selected? pack the data?) and should I consider any other formats, like .vrml, neverblender and directx?

Here is the .blend file:

http://home.ripway.com/2004-10/191352/handtest.zip

Any insight would would be great.

BgDM
10-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Usually most apps can open OBJ files with no problem. Seems odd that Rhino does not. But I think Rhino is a nurbs modeller, correct? If so, than that may be why. Not sure though.

BgDM

spenney
10-21-2004, 01:04 AM
Usually most apps can open OBJ files with no problem. Seems odd that Rhino does not. But I think Rhino is a nurbs modeller, correct? If so, than that may be why. Not sure though.

BgDM
Well, supposing that's right and Rhino can only read NURBS models, how could I turn my poly model into a NURBS model? I haven't seen anything in tutorials, guides, or the interface to suggest that it could be done. :shrug:

Apollux
10-22-2004, 01:46 AM
No matter what software, going FROM mesh TO nurbs is one of the most difficult things to do, because nurbs work based on math rules and definitions, while meshes works like whatever arrange that the author can think off.

That said, Once I saw an example output from a program that does exactly that.. takes a mesh model that tries to built a nurbs model with the same shape... trust me, the output is far from perfect.

AFAIK, the Nurbs -> Mesh route is a one way trip.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.