PDA

View Full Version : Uprade needed?

OamadeusO
10-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Heres the story. Got myself a Apple mac G5 1.6gz with 1 gig of ram. OSX10.3.3
(looks lovely don't it?):)

Q. I will be usng cinema 4D R9. what would be the best thing to upgrade, memory or a new processor.

Q. Can I attach a second processor to my mother board? Would it have to be the same speed?

Q. Will C4D take advantage of a second processor?

Q. How much is this going to cost my Boss?

alanmac
10-20-2004, 05:14 PM
You can answer all those questions in one answer - the ram, as all the other things are not possible with the machine you have.

Vertizor
10-20-2004, 05:15 PM
Q. I will be usng cinema 4D R9. what would be the best thing to upgrade, memory or a new processor.
You cannot upgrade the CPU, not for a long time. I'm sure someone will come in here and say "PowerLogic this, Sonnet that." They don't make G5 upgrades. RAM and video card are ideal upgrades for 3D work.

Q. Can I attach a second processor to my mother board? Would it have to be the same speed?
You bought a single processor computer, it will forever be a single CPU computer. It does not have another socket for which you could insert a second CPU into. Open her up and look inside if you don't believe me.

Q. Will C4D take advantage of a second processor?
Yes, any decent 3D app today is dual CPU ready.

Q. How much is this going to cost my Boss?
No more than the cost of RAM, because that's about all you can do at this point.

It's a Mac, it's not as upgradeable as PCs. You can't swap motherboards, you can't swap CPUs (or add another one).

OamadeusO
10-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the answers.
I have to be honest here I kinda suspected that I would be stuck with the processor. In my defence it was bought whilst I was away and not with my knowlege. My good old duel G4 was sold off and a shiny single G5 was put in it's place...:sad: When will IT managers listen to the people that use the hardware.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.