PDA

View Full Version : Stumped on "particles"

questionmark
10-20-2004, 03:32 PM
Does anyone know of a good particles tutorial for making stuff like bubbles, or floating particles in water ?

My scene: Great white shark crusin' by the camera quick and simple, made the shark, got my background, forground, sea bottom etc, it kinda gives the impression of water when you look at a quick F9, but I want to float some fuzzy particles around to add more dimension and give the impression of a large shark swimming around. I do have a reasonable understanding of hypervoxles but am not sure if that's what I should use in my scene.
Isn't there a way just to add particles to a scene and be able to render them ?!? I get everything set up as for what I want the "particles" to do but they don't render in the scene... I got piles of tuts for hypervoxles and their effects, but they can become mindnumbingly looooonnnng during renders and re-tweek it againto tone the effect up or down. I checked the manual and not much is mentioned about them except they can save time and render faster than hypervoxels. And yes I tried the tuts for the various settings using particles with friction, bouncing off of surfaces, interacting and so on, only I can't get them to render the way I would like them to, sometimes I see tiny little dots on a rendered frame, so I then adjust the particle size of 'em so they'll be bigger of course: - in your standard views you see them as large or small yellow wirframed shapes but the changes are unseen in my renders. Am I crazy, or just wasting time trying... maybe you can help me out? is there a surfacing trick I'm missing for particles?, I can't find one.... and It's making me NUTZ !

Appreciate yer help once more,
Questionmark

Thanks for your help and patience
(using LW7.5c waiting for version 9 ;))

zuzzabuzz
10-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Maybe you want partigons instead of particles?

questionmark
10-20-2004, 03:41 PM
do you think that'll do it for me zuzzabuzz ?

uncon
10-20-2004, 03:44 PM
I would suggest hypervoxel sprites with custom images mapped onto them to get exactly what you want. Have you gone through the hypervoxel tuts on the newtek website?

questionmark
10-20-2004, 03:56 PM
yes Uncon, I have tried the hypervoxle sprite tuts in my "Timmy Albee how too bible for LW7.5", I figured the use of sprites was mainly for smoke and misty effects with realistic detail for large areas, I never thought of applying them that way...I can try that too that could be an extra effect I could use, good idea ...you got my attention and got my brain started up again.

uncon
10-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Ok... so this is a little leak, but I've been messing around with this new technique I discovered in lightwave that you might find useful. I want to write a tutorial but I just haven't had much time lately.

If you create a generic wind fx thingy, set the fall off mode to "off" and then under the vector tab set XYZ to 0, but apply a procedural texture at around 100-500% you can get some very cool motion in your particles. It sets up this type of vector field that particles tumble through. Increasing the Size of the texture may be necessary to get the right look.

You will have to mess with it but this is a powerfull way to get particle motion that I have never seen suggested before. Fun stuff!

questionmark
10-20-2004, 05:20 PM
WOW, uncon thanks so much, that sounds like an excellent idea for my scene... I'll fool around with that idea and see some of the results.!

Thanks so much!

?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.