PDA

View Full Version : Stupid sleeve animation

scotttygett
10-20-2004, 04:51 AM
I have a character in a cloth outfit, and I'm working with LightWave 7.5. I want the outfit to be animateable over the skin. I have no patience with dynamics.

If I understand the situation I'm in, I've got to overhaul the rig I've been using, reweightmap the object completely, add some child bones and weight them exclusively, and hope for the best.

I wanted to add a bone for the sleeve cuff and have it work with a weight map.

Also, the targetted bone I was using for the sleeve cuff keeps not working.

Skelegons should be good for a giggle...

What do the grown-ups here recommend?

HowardM
10-20-2004, 07:01 AM
get 8 and some patience! :p

this (http://www.3dink.com/cloth.mov)was created in less than 10 minutes, and calculates in seconds.

low res cloth for calc on left, only a few subds. hi res metalinked to low res on right, many many subds.... :D so you can calculate a very lowres thin cloth, and replace it with a thicker one, with details....the coolest part is point # nor order matter!

of course this was a quick test, sorry for low res QT, etc...but the point is ClothFX works :D

scotttygett
10-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks, Howard.

I may have to hold off on buying LightWave 8 for a few more days, but I retro-figured something out.

Splinegod has talked about weight-mapping half a figure, assigning one half one weight map, and the other, another. This would be one application, except that you also need to assign the same weight name to different parts of different levels. Impossibly tedious, unless you know to use the Spreadsheet for re-assigning bone weight maps.

And use cloned/child bones with a/b where needed.

So, in my example, I've got all of the character's apparel on weight map "a" with the problem overlap arm area on weight map b (on a different level). I'm getting some bleeding over of the weights, but it's a lot closer than it was before.

(My next move would have been to remove the hand to another object, rebone it and assign it to a null parented to the hand bone.)

Celshader
10-20-2004, 09:27 PM
What do the grown-ups here recommend?
For close-fitting clothing, consider this LightWave technique:
http://cohen-plugs.tripod.com/#cloth

kretin
10-21-2004, 01:40 AM
For animating cloth with bones, if you have the sleeve deforming correctly with the arm, then all you need to do is to copy the weight map from the area that you want to move independantly (such as the sleeve) to its own weight map, and remove it from the arm weight map.

Then in layout, clone the appropriate bone. Parent the cloned bone to the original bone and assign the sleeve weight map to it. Now the sleeve will still deform with the arm, but you can offset it's position with the new bone.

But dynamics can certainly make it much easier :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.