PDA

View Full Version : Sprite HVs with clips on it...wrong shadows?

Netvudu
10-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Hi.

Iīm using some sprite HVs with a clip image over them (of a tree) and it works great excepting...the shadows are misplaced! I mean, they are rendered, but they donīt start at the treeīs base...what gives? (some of the shadows appear ok, while others appear out of place)

Any ideas why this is going on? I would love to show a render with the problem but from this system I canīt currently upload an image to the forum, sorry.:shrug:

PS: On a side note, could anybody explain me how the second clip map-based animation at this page http://www.marlinstudios.com/products/vtf/vtf.htm was done? I mean, thereīs a radical change of angle and still no signs of flat planes! How?

uncon
10-20-2004, 02:44 AM
Sometimes HV sprite trees can float, that's probably why the shadows don't fit. I've found that Sprite trees usually work best from far away. I had to make similar low rez-clip mapped trees for a recent project. What I did was make a few mapped polys that had a transparency gradients so they faded out as the camera looked at them at a shallow angle. It works really well and renders pretty quick for medium range shots.

HowardM
10-20-2004, 06:09 AM
resize your image map, so the canvas size is larger than just the tree.
HV Sprites are circular and create a 'spherize filter' effect, so if your tree in the image practically touches the edge of the image, the HV Sprite will be 'bubbled' and distorted...

I bet thats why your shadows dont work right?
Some of the HVs are lower or higher on the ground plane than others?

I dunno about the other movie, looks like RPCs! :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.