PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Paul Haman

Haman
10-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Paul Haman has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Haman
10-20-2004, 01:27 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4226/4226_1098232052_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4226/4226_1098232052_large.jpg)

Here's my initial concept for the contest. It's designed to show that this place is old, it has history. Old buildings sit next to new ones, etc. The people in the foreground are eating in an old-fashioned restaurant, overlooking a futuristic city. Everything is interrupted when a huge ship passing over, is attacked and crashes down into the sea... essentially beginning a war.

This is pretty rough, I'm just trying to figure out values and composition. The ship crashing down blends in way too much with the sky... probably from lack of line definition, but maybe also from issues with value. I just know it's very hard to make out. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Speaky
10-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Hi Paul,

I could see from the thumbnail that your values seem to be working. I can see a lot of potential in your image - a sprawling cityscape with a suitably grand feel to it and this dramatic incident occurring in the sky. Good job. :thumbsup:

Fahrija
10-20-2004, 04:28 PM
This is a nice idea - I really like it because you can give a lot of information of the art of living and the design of a culture.
Maybe you can add a kind of shock wave in the horizon that comes nearer just to show the strengh of attack. (just a suggestion). The other suggestion is to let the intruders come towards the viewer to increase the threat.

Be happy - your idea has a good basement

Fahrija
10-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Hi Paul,

I really like this scetch. It allows to show a lot specific design of a civilitzation and the composition has enough depth.

Suggestions:
Maybe you can integrate some sort of shockwave just to increase the threat that comes from the background to the foreground.
In this scetch the intruders are flying from right to left into the background. It could be much more dramatic if it comes towards the viewer. That leads the eye of the viewer back to the picture.

be happy - your first scetch has much potential

Hecartha
10-20-2004, 11:26 PM
"pretty rough" but all the details you've written are visible without reading your post, and yes, a lot of potential in this image. The great thing is you can see people really closely and in other way you really feel the distance. I'ven't any advice at the moment but i'm pretty interested to see the evolution :)

spacesnail
10-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Yes I can feel real drama in this sketch.

Keep going on.:thumbsup:

Waiting to see more.

Haman
10-22-2004, 02:30 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4226/4226_1098408612_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4226/4226_1098408612_large.jpg)

Here's a line drawing I worked up, taking into account that suggestion of having a ship coming in towards the viewer. I've still got to better work out the design of the ships and background buildings. Thanks for the comments!

unitstudio
10-22-2004, 03:05 AM
I really like the architectural style haman...nice work!

Eclisod
10-22-2004, 05:20 AM
really cool idea. it looks like it's going to develop into something amazing!

Shadow Seraph
10-22-2004, 06:13 AM
I love the progress, the original in a charcoal style basic rough, and then the line drawing is quite impressive, a huge amount of detail, I think the coloring stage will make it really impressive. Keep it up :)

Hillartsympho
10-24-2004, 02:16 PM
its good to see that you're incorporating historical aspects, but spend some more time working out the sci-fi too. be careful that your historical parts dont speak alot louder than the futuristic.

I heart your sketches :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.