PDA

View Full Version : Environment : building

BonciuToma
10-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Hi !
This is made using Maya. I'm preatty happy with the modeling and lighting (but feel free to crit). The thing that I'm not 100% sure is texturing. What do oyu think of it ? How can I improve it. Thanks.

gaggle
10-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Hey,

Those bricks seems really really large to me. Maybe they're not meant as ordinary bricks (http://www.pcrepairandupgrades.com/gallery/pontotoc/pontotoc-faded-advertisement-on-brick-wall_large.jpg), but.. well they seem pretty big. More details around the architecture would be cool as well, if you look at the image I linked check out how the bricks are placed near the windowedges. The way yours are cut off is pretty typical of a texture.

There's a lack of contactshadow between the building and the ground. Actually all the lighting is pretty CGIish imo.. it's all that ambience I think. If you're aiming for photoreal I think some sort of global illumination (faked or otherwise) would do nicely. This could also help the textures, since that'd break up the patterns somewhat (floor tiles, bricks).

I also pondered suggesting stuff like sparse vegitation between tiles and such, but that's starting to move away from your question.

BonciuToma
10-20-2004, 04:59 PM
thanks for your tips; Indeed there are little things but they matter. About the light I'm trying to not use GI or FG. I want to solve the problem with hand-placed lights.

Thanks again.

ramy
10-21-2004, 06:15 AM
Your modelling is good. The lighting is a bit flat. If you want to use hand placed lights, a good trick is to create a "sphere" of directional lights each with very low intensity-and all set to render shadows. It takes a while to render but it looks great!

BonciuToma
10-21-2004, 09:00 AM
thanks for the lighting tip ramy. The funny thinh is that this is how the scene was lit but in the WIP thread I received a reply that it doesn't need all those lights, so I change it.

I have a question thou : if I create that dome of lights and htey all have shadows wouldn't that will create a distorson - like shadows from everywhere => multiple light surces ? Or I use a lowresolution for those shadows plus a dmapfiltersize big, like 5, so I have just a slight shade ?

Thanks.

BonciuToma
10-21-2004, 02:56 PM
I've made some changes to the light and materials. I've also render another view with he entire scene. I hope it's an improvement.

Trog
10-28-2004, 02:17 PM
Nice model. I like your lighting changes on the cropped image on the right. However on your composite, the lighting does not match the background plate. The background has more contrast and is more in focus than your render.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.