PDA

View Full Version : PA Challenge - Character / Vehicle - Adam Farley

l_farley13_l
02-06-2002, 03:10 AM
Final models and textures:

http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/PAchallenge/7.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/PAchallenge/c5.jpg

A great many thnaks to all who responed and pariticipated, I got a whole lot more role models. Thanks Wintermute, AJ_23, Cgkoko, psumo, RadiantWings, Tim Leydecker, marcom, Bytehawk and marcom and Wintermute again :)

[original post:"I'm back again, at first I thought I'd do a character [edit: and I did] Any Ideas on how to streamline the design a little bit ? (I had some complains that my little alien was hard to understand . . :rolleyes: Pascal) Anyway here it is and that shape is an elephant, and those long things in the front are muscles!"

see you,

Farley13

Wintermute
02-06-2002, 11:12 AM
The best way I've found to design a vehicle is to do a 3 view drawing (top, side, front) if it's really complex, sometimes I just do a few sketches and start pushing verteceis (plural vertex :) ) around in LW

Wintermute
02-08-2002, 06:42 AM
this has got to be the most alternative propulsion system ever applied to a vehicle!!

judging from the cross section of the drive shaft, the muscles contract in sequence ratcheting the shaft around??

very cool start, looking forward to your next update :)

l_farley13_l
02-09-2002, 06:19 AM
Hey here's the update! Yup right on about the ratcheting, of course it would be slow, so a nice gear would be needed :D
[ image del.]
I have redesigned it a little, but much is still to do! Oh and those olympics :rolleyes: it's like an overblown dumbed down opera well thats a subject for another thread!

See You,

Farley13

Wintermute
02-09-2002, 06:40 AM
I think that if your vehicle and mine got into a race, it would be pretty close-if mine doesn't shake itself apart!! :eek:

anyway..looking cool, how'd you do your chain? and what app are you using??

l8er :)

l_farley13_l
02-09-2002, 07:46 AM
"I think that if your vehicle and mine got into a race, it would be pretty close-if mine doesn't shake itself apart!! " hehe , defintly a bunch of scrapheaps!
It is being done in Cinema 4d. About the chain: 2 little loops were modeled together (so one went one way and one went the other), intanced to 40, and aligned to a spline by their z axis.

l_farley13_l
02-09-2002, 10:48 AM
[image del.]

OOOOOH screw it I couldn't restrain myself, I started my char, now two thing to worry about, I'm really not good about dead- lines :( :( hopefully it does not seem too derivitve of anything :eek: :eek: Thanks,

see you,

Farley13

l_farley13_l
02-10-2002, 07:46 PM
Thanks to all who responded (well thank you Watermute ;)) Just a good update on my Char. I'll do one on the vehicle too when I get a chance, any one wanna volunteer a landscape ?
[image del.]
See you, and hopefully the pic thing will keep me from becoming a third pager, :(

Farley13

PS anyone else having server problems and login errors? I am really having a hard time updating this thread, could just be me ?!?

l_farley13_l
02-10-2002, 08:16 PM
And here is the concept drawing, made at the same time as the one way above, but delayed since I originally did not want to devote the time, but I couldnt help it :( :( :(
[image del.]

Thanks,

Farley13
(gimme a pat on the back :D :D )

And sorry for the big images, I learned my lesson the hardway (ahh no replies in several days :confused: )

Oh and what do I use to get my thread title changed from Vehicle to Vehicle/ Character?

l_farley13_l
02-10-2002, 11:59 PM
I'm killin my self here [rolling on the floor] :cool: and now for something completely different:

[image del.]

see yo,

Farley13

sorry a bit bored, I feel like a mute salesman :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AJ
02-11-2002, 12:53 AM
Holy Crap! It's all good!!

But sadly for you... too good...

You've officially made my list of "finger to break/eyes to cut out" - someone has to cull this excellent competition!!

To the Machine!!

l_farley13_l
02-11-2002, 12:58 AM
Ahh thank you . . . no wait I see a source of muscles mmmm propulsion. Nice to know its at least decent. :D :D :D

And I'm off 'till next weekend,

Farley13

Cgkoko
02-11-2002, 03:05 AM
Really nice.Your idea is spooky!I'm kind of confused on what is going on with the cloth of the character...but then again,i'm not very smart anyway.:)

l_farley13_l
02-13-2002, 09:37 PM
Hey Cgkoko, thanks for the reply! I'll try improoving the cloth a bit more, It is supposed to be a sholl (spl?) wraped around her and held in place like an old 17th Century French Dress. Probably should add some more stitching. I'll Update as promised this weekend.

Thanks,

Farley13

l_farley13_l
02-16-2002, 06:36 AM
Ya whahoo, Yipee! back to the top. Hopefully this and some more later this night (gosh perhaps I'll continue the vehicle too and get that done) Ahh golly is we's out with it already eh ?

http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/PAchallenge/c3.jpg

Just the past weekday's work at night for about half an hour each night (And I am speeding up . . . well hopefully) Changes the cloth a bit, added polets added detail to the pockets, a knife, and a pain in the @$$ netting. So I'll be wait'n around Ya' hear ?
(just a two word reply is ok too :D)

Farley13

psumo
02-16-2002, 06:53 AM
I don't understand why her dress is so big
also the hair is a bit distracting

other than that its a really cool looking model

l_farley13_l
02-16-2002, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the quick response. The hair is strictly temporary, next thing I'll work on. Yeah I can see what you mean about the dress, it hopefuly will intigrate better with the vehicle. I thought of it as kinda a comforter type thing. Perhaps I'll shrink down and show some leg :D

see you,

Farley13

RadiantWings
02-16-2002, 07:51 AM
I would keep the dress the way it is. It has a hagard look, like she found it on a trash heap, and it reminded her of stories about balls, so she decided to keep it. I think it adds character, but add hair. I also dont know if I like the netting the way it is now, it kinda looks tacked on.

Leydecker
02-16-2002, 02:08 PM
nice one. I really like the shoulder area. very elegant.
yumyum.

Im a bit in envy. Seems so easy when you add detail :-)

Tim

marcom
02-16-2002, 07:35 PM
hey i really like your characters-clothing style!
could you please post some more wireframes of her? because as every wannabbe-modeler i'm trying to catch as much "how-to's" as possible ;)
are you planning on updating the vehicle as well? i think it's nice but a little bit too confused for my taste, but then it's an post nuclear one... right' :)

good work

marcom

l_farley13_l
02-17-2002, 08:27 AM
RadiantWings- Thanks, the hair has been added (see below), and the net restricted, and cut here and there.

Tim Leydecker- Thanks! Exactly what I was going for :D

marcom- No probl -Wire frame (below) Though the cage is messy since it was mod most heavily when in sub d's. See last cage for start, then wrinkles etc were extruded in.

And about the vehicle, I would agree with you completely; definitely one of my downfalls. The cockpit has been roughed in now too (below) Hopefully the cloth and cables to be added will help the viewer focus on only three or four main things. Also the arches etc. will be disfigured to make them wooden looking.

Thanks all,

Farley13

l_farley13_l
02-17-2002, 08:53 AM
http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/PAchallenge/3-c4.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/PAchallenge/c2w2.gif
(sorry not much of an update I'll have a good one tommorow)

Thanks guys,

Farley13

l_farley13_l
02-18-2002, 04:47 AM
Yup, pretty good update this time (for the vehicle) Next up will defintly be strings etc. and woodenizing (sp? ;)) the arches.

It might be a little more caroony than the rest, but once intigrated I think it will work well to create some ballance (visually) to the vehicle. Probably still needs a little more detail.
Also working on RAD of the whole thing together (probl about 2 more hours)

Crits/ comments are very welcome.

http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/PAchallenge/4-1.jpg

Thanks,

Farley13

Wintermute
02-18-2002, 06:07 AM
I'm liking the use of an old car as a cockpit for your vehicle. The way you've got it attached to the side of the vehicle visually unbalances the whole thing (looking front on)-imho. I'd suggest adding another car body(or something of similar size) to the other side (for a passenger, cargo, or whatever) to balance it out.

You still have the most unique propulsion of them all!! Just need some tires on those rims...keep it up, you'll get there!! :D

L8er

l_farley13_l
02-19-2002, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the reply Wintermute! I'm not sure about the proportions, I think I may add somting of simlar detail on the other side, perhaps some kind of a giant sheild on the other side for combat manuvers. And probably another wheel to support the car, oh and somthing for the hubs to grip :D

I took this morning off. No update, just a new render (even w/ out shadows it should give you a better idea on the proportions) that took way too long. Still comments crits are very welcome. Hopefully double update tonight.
http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/PAchallenge/5.jpg

See you guys,

Farley13

l_farley13_l
02-22-2002, 03:16 AM
Small update on the char, and the vehicle is almost finalized (1 elephant coming up :)), now onto posing :)
(I think . . . Crits/comments still welcome)
Oh and please excuse the rushed renders (I hope details are still visible) :(

The wires are going to defibrulators on the muscles, and comming fomr the dead body of an elephant (not there yet) alas, not a even close ot the posts I'm up with, maybe next time :) (edited after seeing KOryH's work. . . just a beach bumb :D)

[got rid of that horrible peice . . . of a render]

See you,

Farley13

Wintermute
02-22-2002, 03:38 AM
A dead elephant as a power source?? I'm not sure how that would work--I mean, I understand the muscles and the ratcheting crankshaft....

I would have thought you'd bring those wires into some sort of control mechanism like a computer or something...just mho anyway

Still the most unique vehicle on the board by far...I would hope that your character's mask filters out odors too :eek: .. a dead elephant can't smell good (at least I wouldn't think so!)

L8er

l_farley13_l
02-22-2002, 03:56 AM
ahhh, seems a good time as any to explain that :D
I kinda figured in the furture this whole cloning thing would pane out, so we would have little industries devoted to each basic tissue type.
She is a muscular engineer :) The elephant is kept barely alive and is harnessed for its electricity, which is rerouted through different circuts in the comp, and output to the 10 defibs to contract the muscles. I hope that kinda makes some sense :D
Ill put some more references subtlely on her to make some more continuety (sp?)

Thanks for the response Wintermute, (and all rest of 'em)

Farley13

l_farley13_l
02-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Beginning to pose test, I'll probebly just give it a monotone rather than try to texture it, but we'll see how much time it'll take . . . Just a few of my rotton drawings, showing two of the 4 poses, will be kinda of story. Machin in the back and incorparted in later drawings. Still learning this posing thing too, boy did I think too simply last month :D :D In reverse order Crits will be very (very) helpful at this time:
http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/PAchallenge/sketch4.jpg http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/PAchallenge/sketch3.jpg
Ahh again no reply, so tired of it . . .
I'll post the renders when they're done, probably tomorow :( Maybe never

Farley13

marcom
03-04-2002, 09:06 PM
hmm, no update?
c'mon i want to see your vehicle movin :) and better previews...

marcom

l_farley13_l
03-07-2002, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the response Marcom! I'll upload the things when my internet comes back up, been down for two days . . . . Supposed to be doing research at le biblioteque :)

Farley13

l_farley13_l
03-08-2002, 07:47 AM
weak weak weak I know :( sorry to displace those at the top -
. . but I must :)
http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/PAchallenge/7.jpg

see you guys,

Farley13

Bytehawk
03-08-2002, 04:42 PM
kewl stuff
:D

aih Laik it

really capured that 'alternative material' thing.

l_farley13_l
03-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Ahh crud internets down again :((( Damn att ---> anyone else having problems?

l_farley13_l
03-09-2002, 08:24 AM
Final Char model - errors with posing tests sorry. A Great thanks to all who responded and participated!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.