PDA

View Full Version : Animation: vectorman run

ace4016
10-19-2004, 08:01 PM
I am wokring on a little animation with vectorman where the animation starts off with him running and as he comes up to a convieniently placed metal wall type object, a bomb comes hurling in his direction and he ducks down behind the wall, the bomb blows up and he jumps out to defeat whatever attacked him. What i need help on is making the movements look natural before I make him jump and do all that stuff (dont want to get ahead of myself and end up starting all over, again).

heres a link to the clips, only really look at vectorman run 6 and/or vectorman run 6a -
http://geocities.com/dante_4016/

gaggle
10-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Hey,

What kind of style are you aiming for?.. it looks and sounds cartoonish, so I'll base my answer on that. There's a lot to say about strong poses, and it's never more important than with a cartoon-themed animation. If you want your character to really run like crazy behind that wall, you make sure you hit a much more defined "about to run (http://www.moonlight-whispers.com/image/tutorials/base_02.jpg)" pose. Arms back, torso twisted, stand on one leg.. classic Warner Brothers stuff.

Your poses once he starts moving lacks energy I think. Here's (http://www.robrichards.com/Images/bunnee.jpg) an example of the classic exaggerated cartoon style, though that particular one looks more like a brisk walk than a run :).

Instead of nitpicking each frame though, I'll just say that your animation seems typical to me of any (3d) animator's early years. If you like this animating thing you'll find an incredibly deep and fascinating world just waiting for you to explore. There's a book every animator needs to own, it is the ultimate Divine And Holy Bible, and everybody recommends everybody else to get it. It's called "The Animator's Survival Kit", by Richard Williams. It's a fantastic resource, for reading through end to end and also for looking up specific tips and tricks. That, and "Illusion Of Life" by Disney Animation should imo be the core books for any animator.

They both deal with cartoon animation but they are entirely useable for realistic movement and non-character animation as well. They really opened my mind to a completly new way of appriciating animation back when I got them. They won't magically transform you into a great animator, but I think they hold the capability of setting one on that journey. Well, a good teacher/co-worker doesn't hurt either, but that's what cgTalk is here for :).

ace4016
10-20-2004, 05:55 PM
I just got the book today:thumbsup: . I am not going for a really cartoonish look, more of a semi-realistic run. I know what your saying about the run, just I had trouble with anticipation for the begining and the "uh oh" and slow down when he sees the bomb near the end. I think the book might help me out on gettint he anticipation right. I dont know why the run looks like a brisk walk, I saw that too before. Ill post an update on it as soon as i am done.

ace4016
10-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Afer reading bit of the book I tried to rework some things in the animation, subtle things. I have two more previews, I seperated the run and the pause-n-drop.

Also, my run is a bit jerky and I noticed that the trajectory didnt look like the archs you see in "The Animator's Survival Kit." heres a pic to show you what my arch looks like:

Does that have anything to do witht he jerkyness in the run?

btw: he it just running to get to the end of the room towards a door and when you see him pause and drop he sees an enemy that hurls a bomb at him and he drops donw to take cover, otherwise he would have either jumped over the wall or went around. He doesnt run like crazy towards the wall, it just so happens that the wall is in the way.

ace4016
10-23-2004, 08:25 PM
ok, I think i have completed the run but before I go on I just want to get any last minute input.

Vectorman run 8 - http://geocities.com/dante_4016/

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.