PDA

View Full Version : modding half life 2 via LW

st45
10-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Anyone have any pointers on how I can get into modding half life 2 using lightwave. I recognize that HL2 isn't out yet, but I want to get going asap. Never modded a game before, but I was thinking HL2 would be a great place to jump in. Please respond to this game mod noob mercifully.

Para
10-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Well, VALVe's 3D modeling/animating app of choice was Softimage|XSI (remember the free XSI EXP version available exclusively for modding) so I think that the number one priority for you would be to get XSI EXP and find a way to import/export meshes to proper formats.

st45
10-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Will this actually allow me to create and modify new characters for the game? Or am I going to be limited to making level mods?

Para
10-20-2004, 08:36 AM
All dynamic objects are modeled in an external 3D application, new levels and such are made with Hammer, a specially made mapping program for HL/HL2. That and a bunch of other tools are coming with the HL2 SDK with good documentation so you don't have to worry about how to get them.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.