PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Fahrija Velic

Pages : [1] 2

Fahrija
10-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Fahrija Velic has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/view_entries.php?challenger=4168)

Latest Update: Final Image: Myn-Crisis: the end of embargo
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105937154_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105937154_large.jpg)

This was a hell of work this night and I really hope it went good. Its difficult to estimate it by now. (I need sleep) I had to fill the image with more life. So I did. :)

Im not amused about my own time-management. In two hours I have to go to work and Im dead alive. But Ive finished it - for about 3 weeks I thougt it would be impossible.

The challenge as a great opportunity and I wouldnt have done it without your support and encouragement, buddies. Hope to see you altogether again in the next challenge.

fahrija

This is the story behing the image.I hope you like it :)

THE STORY:

The waterplanet Łeıa has become a rich and powerful planet in the universe. It is the only place where the unique substance Myn will unearthed
in daunting underwater facilities. The substance is contained in the plancton and will be enduced by a secret procedure. It enables civilizations to flight with speed of light without any deformation in hullstructure of spaceships and it decreases time differences to a minimum. A galaxy treaty appointed that every development of speed-light-weapons is forbidden and will be punished by a Myn-Embargo wich
means isolation for the guilty civilization.

The Rtorian-Civilization was punished two decades ago. Their Myn reserves were confiscated and the Rytorians left to their own resources. But a hidden facility staid undetected. The Rtorians were capable to build up an armada of war-ships. Once punished they decide to go into an open confrontation. It should be a sudden-attack of Łeıa to break the embargo and retrieve formerly power...

To whom may concern:
music-list of the songs Ive listen to frequently during the finishing line:

non-electric (the complete cds):
- Disturbed - believe
- Lamb of God - as the palaces burn
- The faint - wet from birth

electronic (from my EP vinyl collection):
- Kiki & Silversurfer - restless
- Jeremy P Caulfield Cavalcade EP - Swagger Saw Grotbox
- Azuli - Chicken Lips (She not in-Stanton warrior re-edit)
- Speicher 25 - DJ Koze A.K.A Monaco Schranze
- DJ T. - Electrofied (I love this track!)
- WB - you might say
- Various Artists: Brian aneurysm - delta
- Scoopa-fi: talkin large rmx session

http://www.studioambrozus.de/cgtalk/123.jpg

http://www.studioambrozus.de/cgtalk/1234.jpg

Fahrija
10-22-2004, 09:04 AM
I hope I will post my first scetch soon. Nice works Ive seen so far

element5
10-22-2004, 02:31 PM
will be waiting patiently for your first post :)

Fahrija
10-23-2004, 08:04 PM
http://www.studioambrozus.de/cgtalk/00_Scetch_23-10-2004.jpg

My first scetch for the challenge. Tried to create some monumental surrounding
with intruders coming from upside. Comments are very welcome :)

I will do some more different scetches and decide later
> still searching

Fahrija
10-24-2004, 12:53 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1098618800_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1098618800_large.jpg)

My starting scetch for the challenge. Tried to create some monumental surrounding with intruders coming from upside. Comments are very welcome

I will do some more different scetches and decide later
> still searching

stevetwist
10-24-2004, 01:26 PM
WOAH! looks awesome - I love the colour scheme, very powerful. Nice work.

andreasrocha
10-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Awesome...looks promising alright!

element5
10-25-2004, 03:21 AM
:applause: No crits here

Hecartha
10-25-2004, 09:04 AM
yes, the color scheme is really great, it gives already a good feeling! I like the idea of the bridge with this gate. No critiques at the moment :)

Fahrija
10-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Thank you guys for your comments - I hope to find time soon to come up with my new ones just to see if this one is strong enough in comparison.

Erebus74
10-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Beautiful indeed, almost a finished concept artwork in se!

Beautiful colors and grandious imaginery.

Clap clap clap :applause:

dgpilot
10-25-2004, 02:54 PM
ooohhh.. ahhhh.. Love the colors, lets see more! :)

PatrickJensen
10-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey Fahrija, Very nice feel to this one! Looks perfect for an establishing shot as we're arriving at this city. If you go with this one, it'll be fun seeing the intruders take shape. Awesome

nuclearman
10-25-2004, 05:51 PM
That's a gorgeous start, Fahrija. Very atmospheric, with really solid composition. Any chance you'll do a full 3D version of this in the other part of the competition?

Fahrija
10-25-2004, 06:40 PM
Thank you for your comments!

Hi Michael (nuclearman) - Im a rhino user for a long time with some render experience in 3dsmax but I know less about poly modelling. And its a real challenge for me to change over from nurbs to polygon modeling. Maybe I could handle building up the surrounding but the rest...and not to forget the atmosphere...ahhrg
You 3d guys really have mad skills.

Bishoppess of Death
10-25-2004, 06:46 PM
This is really nice. I like the warm colors (is a sucker for warm light) But in the final image I don't think you should have the girl in the bottom left hand corner. She kind of pulls you out of the picture. Just my opinion.

Artie
10-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Really cool concept. I am looking forward for the next picture.... :)

nuclearman
10-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Fahrija, if you followed the Alienware Challenge last year, I'm sure you're aware that Pufferfish's incredible entry was done in Rhino and then rendered in Max, so there's really no need to switch to polygons for the 3D work. It just happens that XSI, the application I use, has much stronger poly tools than NURBS tools, so I'm more comfortable working with polygons. I think the real challenge with doing your piece in 3D is, as you've suggested, getting the atmosphere to work, but then you could always use something like Afterburn to get the volumetric effects.

As for the 2D vs. 3D skills debate, well, I've always envied those with more traditional painting and drawing skills -- though I've seen some absolutely first-rate concept sketches on the 3D side that indicate there are more and more artists who are equally comfortable in both arenas. "Mad skills" indeed!

Fahrija
10-25-2004, 11:27 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1098743258_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1098743258_large.jpg)

A new scetch with different topic but same coloring. Critics to this particulary with regard to Scetch 1.0 are very welcome.

Quotation:
"Comunication disrupted can mean only one thing - Invasion." > Episode I

Fahrija
10-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Hi Bishoppnes of death,
I will keep this in mind if I decide to choose this one. But generally I think it is needful to place some kind of indication in the foreground that gives the viewer the impression of the scale.

Hi Michael,
You are defenetly right > to handle both technques that burns.
This time I decided to join the 2D Party because I need some drawing and painting
fundamentals as basement. With this skills I think it is much easier to work out 3D images.
Maybe Im wrong.
thanks for this interesting conversation and greetings from Cologne

danielh68
10-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Love the atmosphere! Great job so far.

Bishoppess of Death
10-26-2004, 07:34 AM
Oh! I like this one so much better (yeah, like the opinion of one out of hundreds of people is really going to make a huge difference) The composition may not be as extreme seeming, but it reallly works like this. I like the balcony things on the building. They remind me of those half-circle shaped fungus things that grow on trees. Keep 'm coming!

element5
10-26-2004, 12:47 PM
another great image :thumbsup:

Erebus74
10-26-2004, 12:56 PM
I feel the first image has a stronger composition and general mood than this...

nuclearman
10-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Fahrija, I'm in agreement with Erebus74 on this: the first image does a better job of conveying scale and a sense of an "iconic moment" than the second concept piece -- though I very much like the design on the building in the second piece (sort of a cross between Gaudi's church of the Sagrada Familia and an African termite hill).

As for 2D skills being the best foundation for good 3D work, yes, I agree completely. The thing I've noticed about skilled traditional artists who make the jump to 3D is that their works tend to have much better composition and (in particular) superior lighting to those of us who leap into 3D without the fundamentals. Interestingly, I'm actually using 3D to do a kind of "pre-visualization" for my writing, so I guess where you start is all a matter of where you intend to end up. :-) And greetings from Kansas, Fahrija!

Fahrija
10-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Hi Michael and Giorgio,

Somehow I feel the same way about the second scetch. Maybe the other scetches are at least useful to find some elements which worth it to integrate into the first one.

Thanks to element5, artie and danielh68 for your comments.

and successful work to everybody

stevetwist
10-26-2004, 07:10 PM
I agree, I personally found the first sketch more iconic.

I love the colour scheme in both though, very deep and rich, and almost gives it an antique look (which is v.good for legends and the like).

Look forward to seeing more developments.

Fahrija
10-26-2004, 11:45 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1098830754_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1098830754_large.jpg)

Here comes scetch 3.0 - A different surrounding with more action and also different color palette.
What do you think regarding 1.0 and 2.0?
Your comments as usual very welcome.

SalamanderCoral
10-27-2004, 07:33 AM
WOW, Fahrija... what a great sketch. i love your version 3.0 !!! i think, you should go with this colour-scheme. though i like your sketches in the brown/yellow ranges, i think that this one is more attractive... great job!

[super arbeit! verflixt, jetzt hast du die melatte aber verdammt hoch gelegt... :) weiter so und schne gre!]

cheers
Salamander

Tranchefeux
10-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Hello,

Your last scetch 3 is very made a success of the harmony of the
colors is good and have direction well the size of the things perhaps
the good direction....

andreasrocha
10-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Great!...Fine concept. Things you could improve:
1. that cliff on the right, doesn't really frame the image...perhaps you could leave it out.
2. the space ships look like they are coming from out of the water. Perhaps they could have more erratic flight patterns.
3. some debris falling into the water, would look really good.

These are just opinions...your work will turn out great for sure!

Erebus74
10-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Wow, the third sketch is even better!
How much time you spent on that?
I wish I had a so fast capacity in visualizing the scenes on sketch, like you. Those seems almost alive!!!

Great work!! :thumbsup:

element5
10-27-2004, 02:09 PM
OOHH! I do like that....:applause:

EmpY
10-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Wow (!), 3.0 is great!!!

nuclearman
10-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Fahrija, the color scheme in 3.0 is great! I still believe 1.0 remains the most "iconic" of the lot, since the foreground figure implies that this moment in time has had a profound impact upon the people, but simply from the standpoint of "should I develop this because it would -- at minimum -- be a great piece for my portfolio?", I'd say 3.0 is your best bet. 3.0 looks very much like the kind of spectacular concept art you get for major motion pictures (or really neat book jackets!).

Peddy
10-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Go with V3.0. the colours are great and the moment is captured very well.

stevetwist
10-27-2004, 06:20 PM
put simply... 3 ROCKS!

I much prefer 3 to the other two. The scene seems to have much more conflict, and at the same time is very pleasing to the eye (be that the colours, the composition, or other things contributing, I don't know - but it is).

Interesting use of the composition from sketch 2 to base no. 3 on. 3 is a lot better than two, yet their compositions are almost identical. I think it's all the ships flying towards the city, and the fact that the buildings look futuristic (more sci-fi) due to their white metalic look, as opposed to an orange earthy (as in dirt, mud etc.) look.

The fact that the only orange in the scene is the fire makes that stand out, which is great. Also, being able to see the other cities further in the distance gives a very epic scale to the piece. (e.g. is this city defending all the others, and when it falls are the others defenceless, kind of feel).

My only crit is the colour of the sky. It doesn't seem to reflect the mood of the piece. It's a 'happy sunny day' kind of sky, and the piece should be conveying strong emotions of loss, pain etc. - which that sky doesn't in my opinion.

Anyway, awesome work.

MoonVisionStudio
10-27-2004, 08:51 PM
3! Great color, comosition, and action! love it!

Fahrija
10-28-2004, 12:14 AM
Hi fellows > thank you very much for this great response.

< Salamander >
Thanks for your rating - the third one is more dynamic rather than epic but as you I also like the warm colors of the first one.
[Vielen Dank :) Irgendwie habe ich die ganze Zeit den Eindruck das alle anderen die Messlatte immer hher setzten und ich nur versuche drann zubleiben.]

< Tranchefaux >
Thanks for your comment. "Perhaps" is the right word.

< andreasrocha >
You are defenitely right. The cliff in the forground needs some more attention because it has not the right shape to frame the sequence. But I am not sure if the scene comes along well without anything in the foreground. Yes, the ships need to be placed much more readable into the context but this was just for the first view to see if it works. I created the mainship at last therefore it looks so uncordinated alltogether. The debris will be the fun part when I decide to finish this one. :)

< Erebus74 >
Thanks for compliment :) The picture took me round about four hours nonstop from coming home after work at eight o clock till posting at midnight (european time). Might be long time for some people but I cant handle it faster images/icons/icon9.gif and constant through all pictures I make. Scetch 2 for example took me much more time to create with more breaks though it doesnt look much more complicated than sketch 3.

< Michael >
You really have an good eye analysing images. Your post describes what I thougt. The first one is still much more iconic and I also still like it but I dont know if I can conserve the "profound impact" through the final. That is the focal point though there is less action than in sketch 3.

< stevetwist >
thank you very much for this detailed comparison and also the description of your impression you have watching my sketches (very important! we all see things with different eyes). The sky looks a bit to friendliy indeed. In one hand it should describe a peaceful place and on the other hand it should express the effect of the attack. Difficult to find the mixture without loosing (or removing) the center of interest.

I just try to see if I can make another initial scetch

Greetings
Fahrija

ered dium
10-28-2004, 12:23 AM
It likes excellent, the color is really great.

Bishoppess of Death
10-28-2004, 01:09 AM
ok idea but...

I'd get rid of the smoke clod going up the right hand side of the picture, since it draws attention away from the compostion. The others are correct in that hte first on has a more dramtic feel, but I like the color scheme of this one better, and with a little work, it could really turn out great. Maybe you could have one of the fighters dropping out of the carrier (i'm assuming that's what it is), possibly another carrier (and smaller set of fighters attacking) on the other side of the city, and maybe (big maybe here) a few little fighters of a different style coming out of the city to engage the attackers....but that's me. You could also darken up the sky maybe, make it a bit warmer and earier to convey the danger.

Ok, that last sentance just sounded stupid.

Erebus74
10-28-2004, 12:28 PM
To me 4 hours is not so much, beacuse I'm sloooooow.
Maybe I concentrate too much on the subject I wanna depict and don't let the images go for themself.... Boh! :rolleyes:

Fahrija
10-30-2004, 07:48 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1099162088_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1099162088_large.jpg)

another very rough Sketch. Im not very content about this one and do not consider to go with this one but it belongs to the work in progress therefore I decided to post it also. Theres still enough time to search for some other stuff before I go with Sketch 3.0.

coCoKNIght
10-30-2004, 09:38 PM
I personally like the first concept best and I also think it's the most iconic. It shows the contrast between ordinary people and gigantic constructions...

NinjaA55N
10-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Great concept sketches! Very nice technique.. I still prefer the first one so far, but all the other havel possibilities to be an exellent finished pieces. I can really feel the pictures. Good luck at this challenge!

windowlicker
10-30-2004, 11:53 PM
I adore your colors. Very very good. I'd love to see a whole lot more sketches from you - not to mention the final pic! :)

AirbORn
10-31-2004, 12:13 AM
I personally like your latest concepts. It has a very grand feeling and the composition and layout of the buildings is very unique, and unique is "good". Just my two cents. :) Keep up the great work.

stevetwist
10-31-2004, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure, I personally am still thinking that the third concept is the best one so far, followed closely by the first... but it's always hard to chose a concept, that's the problem I'm having too right now (along with trying to come up with an interesting composition in the first place).

Fahrija
10-31-2004, 04:01 PM
Thank you very much for your comments. Its really fascinating that your ratings are so different. Overall it seems that 1 and 3 were noted mostly.

Im curious myself about the final image because I didnt detail images up to at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI so far.

I would like to mention that this challenge is worthwile by now because in the last ten days it pushed me painting more than I did before. Im glad I decided to join this cool community. So - Good luck to everybody and have fun :)

Fahrija
10-31-2004, 04:24 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1099239874_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1099239874_large.jpg)

Heres a new sketch with similar content but horizontal arrangement. Critics and comments are very welcome.

Next time I try to sketch something different > more close up stuff or some line drawings I dont know yet but I think its time to go out now :)
have nice weekend.

Squibbit
10-31-2004, 04:36 PM
sweet

maybe put a close up of a fighter or two in the pic ?

nuclearman
11-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Wow, Fahrija, you've certainly been making a lot of progress in the past week! A couple of compositional comments on #4 and #5:

On #4, I very much like the DOF affect with the buildings in the distance, but agree that the dark, cave-like framing clashes too much with the strong vertical lines and cripples what might otherwise work as an excellent cityscape.

On #5: Nice colors, but the problem is that the arrangement draws the eye to the center ... and there's really nothing there -- just a compositional dead-space compared with the rest of the piece. (You can get away with that as long as there's asymmetry and the eye is drawn to a distant horizon-line ... but that's clearly NOT the intended focus here, as you've got a burning city on the left.)

Anyway, it's GREAT to see you really trying things out and experimenting! Sometimes that's more important than simply hitting milestones in a timely manner, since in the long run you're probably learning precisely what you need to learn.

stevetwist
11-03-2004, 08:08 AM
#5 looks cool, I agree with the above compositional comment by nuclearman, but this isn't too big an issue. I like all the tiny craft which shows the grand scale of everything else.

However, my personal favourite is still concept 3 - I don't know why, perhaps because it's the only one with water - and I really like all those reflections - plus I think the composition of that image, IMHO, is spot on!

stunner
11-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Great scene, i love the environement ...

screamingwing
11-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Another great sketch but still prefer 3 what with the sea and lovely colours.

Kadastrophic
11-04-2004, 01:02 AM
My eye feels very draw to the top left corner, I have to force my self to look around. But it is just the start/concept.

Fahrija
11-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks fellows for your helpful comments.

Hi Michael,
I dont really intend to focus on sketch 5.0. I had another picture in mind but somehow this was the result . Primary I try practicing to create sketches with interesting perspective angles and functional compositions. Regarding that you are completly right > Sketch 5 does not work. I tried to integrate some ships in the foreground but they added some more problems as regards content. >from where did those ships come? > And the foreground ships had the same size as the mothership in the background and if I would make them bigger they concealed the whole picture. > So I left the focal point blank - also not a good idea. :)

Hi stevetwist,
thank you for your constant participation to my thread. :) I like sketch 3.0 also but I think it looks a bit to strikingly and has some weakness within the content. This is fixable but maybe I can find a stronger composition in this early stage. The water was fun painting. :)

I have another image in pipline which I can post within this week hopefully. It integrates some characters in the foreground. Im still working on the composition of this one. Im looking forward of your precious comments.

Greetings
Fahrija

Tranchefeux
11-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Hi
Some encouragement for the progress of your Space, I always prefer the
03 in spite of the two last I waits to see your new ideas good
road...

stevetwist
11-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Looking forward to seeing your latest concept.

Maybe you can take the colours and water from #03, and use them in a new composition - I dunno (I think it's the colours and water that draw me to #03 the most... so they may work just as well in a new composition, which might mean that all things in the image rock - which is obviously the idea.... lol).

Good luck

ered dium
11-04-2004, 11:21 PM
I like the first concept more, the second sketch that I prefer is #3. Your last sketch is very nice and maybe you can combine it with the concept number 3.

Excellent work and ideas

teknotek83
11-05-2004, 03:22 AM
i fear you. amazing colors and interesting compositional choices!

greentek
11-05-2004, 06:28 PM
hi Fahrija..

great sketches !!! :thumbsup:

i personally preffer No. 3.. i like it a lot.. it has some great sense.. i think blue color is accociating with the sky and ocean and because of this makes some fundamental feel.. in general white/blue/yellow/brown color pallete is epic by itself in my opinion..

also i think if you give to this central building some important functionality the composition should get more clearance as it will be obvious why the battle happens exactly around it..

anyway great skethces.. :thumbsup: i'll definitely wait for further development..

the best of luck and cheers.. :beer:

Slav
11-07-2004, 02:45 AM
i really like the last image. maybe play with the angle a bit more?

Neozoom
11-07-2004, 10:56 AM
excellent ! work ^^

the one of the spaceships attacking the tower on water is greatest to me^^
continue doing such great concept :)
try capture unike feeling

Fahrija
11-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Sorry for not posting in the last 8days. Im working on two new scetches and some space ship designs for scetch 3. I hope I come up with my new stuff in the days.

Neozoom - Slav - teknotek83 - ered dium > thank you very much for your helpful statements to my sketches.

Hi greentek,
thank you for rating my images. Yes you are right. The building needs to add some features that leads gives the viewer why it is the center of interrest. Or I add some fighting impressions in the background too. That spreads the action into an greater area.

Hi Thranchfeaux,
thank you for your comment and keep up creating your unique work

Greetings
Fahrija

bolchover
11-09-2004, 05:16 PM
good stuff, your sketch 5 comes across very powerfully - may be the 'shimmeryness' of teh sketch. Also looks like that american/neveda.western scenery turned into spaceships etc :)

OKMER
11-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Excellent sketches!!!Nice color schemes.
Prefer the firts one for the colors and the last one for the scene.
Maybe it could be quit cool to do the last one with the first colorscheme and architecture style.
Keep it going!!

Good luck to you

My grint spacepra
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=184953

bigjoe
11-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Love sketch 4.0. Possibly what needs improvement on it is that its a bit claustrophobic, or too sheltered. Like the viewer is in a cave. you could try opening it up a bit more to draw the viewer in. Just an idea. Keep up the amazing work!!!

Fahrija
11-11-2004, 12:11 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1100175110_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1100175110_large.jpg)

Hi fellows,

sketch 6.0 arrived :)
Topic: Hidden culture (like termite hosing) with mediaeval touch (flying ballons like in Mummy II) will be seeked and attacked by a high tech civlization for assimilation. In the foreground I left some room for placing characters on the rocks.

Critics and comments are very welcome

Sketch 7.0 and 8.0 will follow soon in addition some line drawings regarding sketch 3.0 ( but I have to scan those before) :)

Fahrija
11-11-2004, 12:18 PM
< jbig808 >
thanks for your rating and your comments > I will keep it in mind if I decide to go with this one.

< okmer >
thanks for compliment and your comment. Good luck to you also :)

< bolchover >
Thats what I had in mind. (western nevada style > with an different interpretation

greentek
11-11-2004, 05:19 PM
hi Fahrija..

i still preffer #3.. i'm even going to use a compositional fragment from your sketch in my composition if you don't mind.. :)

waiting for #7 and 8.. :thumbsup:

cheers..

stevetwist
11-11-2004, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I still prefer #3, I don't really like this latest sketch that much (sorry), just seems that the other sketches focussed on the buildings mainly - which I liked the idea of. Here it seems to be focusing on the ships... and I just don't think it works as well as the previous ideas.

I too am looking forward to #7 and #8.

NOOB!
11-12-2004, 03:49 PM
i love sketch 5.0 the best!!

Fahrija
11-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Hi Paul and Steven,

thank you for your honest responses. I also think that this one can not beat the other sketches. At the moment its just fun creating rough images. In the last week of this month I will start concentrating on "work in progress" with one or two of my sketches. Just to have an alternative image if one turns not well.

Paul, which compositional fragment do you mean about sketch 3?

Greetings
and a lot of success to both of you

Fahrija

greentek
11-12-2004, 05:06 PM
hi Fahrija..
i meant your central building.. only in my composition i'll have very high mount with a tempel on the top instead of building.. but compositionally it's very similar to yours..
thank you for inspiration and cheers! :beer:

NinjaA55N
11-12-2004, 05:50 PM
I just love the sketch no.5 coz of its grandness and great atmosphere. The last one is too closed, doesnt have enough space to "breath" in my opinion, and those robots reminds me about matrix (all those "eyes").
Im voting for 5 now :) just add something in the first plan, otherwise it works very well.

RaresH
11-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Nice Use of Color Farhija.

I see you like to get the mood out of the way first. The last concept may be more dramatic if there was more destruction around that structure those people are running into.

Add some more people on the ground, perhaps soldiers firing at the machines. Again, good use of color.

Fahrija
11-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks for keep watching my thread. Im very glad about this. :)

Hi Paul,
Im looking forward to see your interpretation of my composition in sketch 3.0 > Do it :)

Hi Blaz,
youre right > sketch 6 looks very blocky. Yes the matrix-style of the invaders seems to be to obviously. But it was fun painting this sketch even if it is not that strong :)

Hi Rares,
you are right with your comments but I stopped painting because the mood and the compostion did not work quite well at this sketch. Additional details wouldnt make the image better if it doesnt work at this stage already.

Greetings
Fahrija

NinjaA55N
11-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Sketches r always fun to make :D Keep up the good work!

greentek
11-13-2004, 12:01 AM
thanks mate! :thumbsup: i hope you'll like it..
cheers..

nuclearman
11-13-2004, 03:23 AM
Hi, Fahrija! Thought I'd better check in to see what kind of progress you're making. :-) One thing immediately struck me when I saw #6: the viewpoint is surprisingly static compared with the action. There's a lot going on in the picture, but there's a distance to the POV that I think works against the subject. In #3, the POV -- and all the action -- focuses in on the city, which is part of why most people agree that #3 works so very well. In #6, the eye is drawn in several directions, which suggests the confusion of war, but I think you'll generally find that a closer "you are there, in the middle of it" perspective heightens that sense, which is why some of the really fine concept art done for CG-intensive war projects thrusts you right into the action. When I look at the situation portrayed in #6, I very much want to have the "camera" swooping in amongst the giant machine attackers, instead of watching it at a distance.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing #7 and #8, as your use of color and desire to experiment is quite delightful; I never know what you'll come up with next!

Keep up the excellent work!

Fahrija
11-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Hi Michael,

thanks for your coment on sketch 6.0. You specified very good the reasons why this image is not that eye catching as it should be. You are right > the viewer is to far away from the center of action. If I find time I try to sketch this one with another camera angle and modified environment. Just to see what happens in comparison to this one. :)

Greetings
Fahrija

Fahrija
11-13-2004, 07:22 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1100373726_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1100373726_large.jpg)

Sketch 7.0 > with a new composition and totally different content than the other sketches. I tried to create a close up image with characters. It doesnt show a lot of the environment and maybe youll be missing an epic touch but I tried to set the focus in the mood of this one.

Topic: Human intruders with agressive intentions discovered an alien township in the deep forest of a foreign planet.

critics and comments about this one are very very welcome.

Greetings
Fahrija

Fahrija
11-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Maybe the scale of the first image is to big > I attached a smaller one
just to get a better impression.

http://www.studioambrozus.de/cgtalk/Scetch-7.0_ForrestCity2.jpg

SteveNewport
11-13-2004, 09:15 PM
can I just say that I really enjoy your sketching styles... I've browsed them before but did not have enough time to comment on them, but they are really great and attractive.
If I had to pick the compositions/sketches I liked the most, I'd have to say the first 2 and your latest one. The other ones seem maybe a bit too cliche...
However, I think what you would benefit from most is developing a story. Create a world or epic story, create everything about it, the race, terrain, atmosphere, surrounding areas in space and create a story to go along with it having some sort of conflict. Images will just come to you then, only 'restricted' to your givein concept. Right now it seems as though you're just kinda reaching in the dark with random sketches, they don't flow. I think in this challenge, and in most art, the story is a necessity before much further work takes ground. It's like reading a book, it's a story... only words... but naturally, it's the restrictions of it being 'that' particular sory that lets your mind go wild with images from that story. You won't read the LOTR series and have images of space-age warriors with rocket packs. And while reading a modern day love story, you're not going to have images of monsters. Find out what it is that interests you, what you could really develop a new world and story over, and create that. The images will just flow then

And I really think a vital aspect of winning this challenge is simply following what the title says: "grand." It's got to be large, the scene has to cover either a LOT of a story, or a LOT of ground within the world. The originality of the world, race, story and the perspective chosen to display all this will really determine your place among the hundreds of artists working their butts off!

The newest sketch is nice, but, I personally don't get a sense of the "grand." Maybe expand upon it or use it as a design for a personal sketch sometime. The composition has to display a lot of tension and has got to be, not just beautiful, aesthetic, action packed or whatever... but, when the viewer/judge looks at it, he/she has to be impressed by the entire seen. Not thinking about how much work went into it, or how well it was carried out... you want to capture the viewer in the image.
Hope I made sense and that this helps a little, I look forward to seeing which direction to choose and the development of it!
take care

greentek
11-14-2004, 12:58 AM
oooooo... what a great message from Steve Newport !!!
very wise observation! and an ocean of useful remarks!

what can i add?! yeah.. i like this sketch a lot.. but.. well, everything was said before by Steve Newport.. it's not "grand" in few words..

we all are waiting for some really "Grand Space Opera" stuff from you Fahrija..

waiting!!!
:beer:

Fahrija
11-14-2004, 05:34 AM
Hi Steve,
thanks for your comment and describing your point of view.
I think we both have different approach on how we work on this topic. The fact that I dont write any big story to my sketches does not mean that I have a story at all. I just dont want to come up with thousands of words. I want my images speak for themselves without having any summary beside which describes how to read the picture. That gives me room to paint as much as I can and thats why I opend this thread. :) For me not every sketch doesnt have to push a story forward. Sometimes you have to paint a picture to see that it doesnt work the way you thought it might do. That is my kind of work in progress. To you maybe it looks like Im still searching but I feel very comfortable witch sketch 1 and 3 but I dont want to leave the sketching stage because it makes fun to do it.

Hi Paul,
Im looking forward to see yours :)

Greetings
Farhija

Gord-MacDonald
11-14-2004, 07:46 AM
Your have developed some terrific concepts. Your rendering and colour sense are both wonderful. I see some great (visual) stories developing here.

stevetwist
11-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Latest concept is an interesting new route to take. I think it's promising, as it seems to have more character and depth than the previous concept.

A little development and I think you could be onto a winner.

Arctis
11-14-2004, 01:04 PM
For me it promisses to be a very beautiful picture, full of poetry, and really "Grand"! It makes me feel like in alien, when we see the crew exploring the alien artefact through a monitor inside the mothership, with bad transmission. It can be much better than top clean vision.
About the story, I agree with you, Fahrija, that some moments can't be described with words, so that's why we are making pictures, not writing text !
I also think that sometimes it's harder to get in a poetic picture than in a battle scene for ex, but with time, it can be more satisfacting. But it's personnal.
I'm just disturbed by the character upright : for me, he's reducing the "grand" impression of the whole.
Good luck !
my space opera thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=185203)

LuisNCT
11-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Very oily painting! Likes overall its sense of have been painted in real canvas... the use of colors and brushstroke are great but, like have been say by steve, maybe you need more sense of greatness.

PatrickJensen
11-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Great sketches Fahrija! If anything, you're exploring some nice palletes to work in, and they are nicely varied and should work out for you well. I personally enjoy #3 and #5, if you want another opinion - they're both very refreshing and look like great starts.

I'm looking forward to more! Nice work so far.
- Tonsen

V_Shane
11-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Wow, thats a change of POV. interested to see where this goes.

Fahrija
11-14-2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your encouragements and comments

Hi Patrick,
thanks for look in on my thread and good luck to you also

Greetings
Fahrija

Fahrija
11-14-2004, 08:53 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1100465583_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1100465583_large.jpg)

One fighter concept for sketch 3.0

teknotek83
11-14-2004, 11:25 PM
wowwie!! that looks polished! very nice! :D more, please!

NinjaA55N
11-14-2004, 11:34 PM
Very cool!

greentek
11-15-2004, 01:15 AM
wow.. great design and excellent sketch Fahrija!!! :thumbsup: i like it very much..
every post your throwing in great stuff!

keep it up and cheers! :beer:

AirbORn
11-15-2004, 02:04 AM
I really like the concepts oyu have posted lately. I love the sense of scale you protray in your sketches. I also love the quality of work put towards the metal on the ship. Excellent work! Keep it up :)

nuclearman
11-15-2004, 02:37 AM
Fahrija, your industrial design skills are really coming through on the fighter -- it's a first-rate piece of work, with really nice attention to the metalic sheen. As always, it's a pleasure to check in on your thread and see what you're up to. :-)

stevetwist
11-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Looking very good indeed. I love the metalic effect - very cool.

element5
11-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Now thats a cool sketch/concept :applause:

Tranchefeux
11-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Hi, Super tone last drawing, good progression.

coCoKNIght
11-15-2004, 11:42 AM
The design and metal painting is excellent, too bad we can't read the details you've named...

Fahrija
11-15-2004, 09:27 PM
stevetwist, tranchefeux, element5, greentek, NinjASSN, teknotek83, AIRBORN
Thank you very much for your comments and encouragment

Hi Michael,
you are a mindful reader and observer indeed. :) Not to mention that your thread is a stunning portfolio of your remarkable skills. I often watch it and I am very amazed how you constantly with ease post such detailed looking 3d objects.

Hi cocoknight,
Sorry, when submitting next time I add a highres picture. Little description:
The front-part has a "cooling unit" to prevent overheating - below the cockpit are two "mashine guns" - All big and dangerous weapons are on the left wing as far away from the cockpit as they can > it carries the "missile depot" and "the laser projektile" and above the a "wheel-away arm" for the chassis. The cockpit is separable in case of emergency (if the ship gets hit.)

Greetings
Fahrija

taz23
11-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi there Fahrja. Nice sketches, in some impresionist style. Really great. My favorite was the 3.0 sketch. That one has great potential for a big level of details. That's my opinion. Also sketch 7.0 is super. Keep it up!

coCoKNIght
11-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi cocoknight,
Sorry, when submitting next time I add a highres picture. Little description:
The front-part has a "cooling unit" to prevent overheating - below the cockpit are two "mashine guns" - All big and dangerous weapons are on the left wing as far away from the cockpit as they can > it carries the "missile depot" and "the laser projektile" and above the a "wheel-away arm" for the chassis. The cockpit is separable in case of emergency (if the ship gets hit.)

Greetings
Fahrija :D Reminds me of battletech. I like it when artists think about functionnality and practical aspects when making a design, there're many designs that actually look great but you better don't ask what for the different parts are :scream: but then again, that's also cool, especially if the design is very futuristic and or alien.

Kraull
11-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Like every one says, great sketches! They get all they need to tell a story!
See ya

V_Shane
11-19-2004, 04:56 AM
man, makes my ships look like plumber tools. this is great :thumbsup:

nuclearman
11-19-2004, 05:30 AM
Hi, Fahrija,

Thanks for the compliment. :-) My first thought when I saw the sketch of the fighter was that you must be a fan of Giugiaro and Italdesign, since it exudes the same kind of clean and stylish functionality as his design work. Of course, then I saw that you are, indeed, an industrial designer, and it all made perfect sense. BTW, I took a look at the Mobile Internet Agent you did for Braun Wagner and just have to mention what an ingenious design you came up with -- VERY slick! Keep up the good work!

LuisNCT
11-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Are you an industrial designer and paint with oily style? With those skills don't surprise me the great level of your work... The last one is so good.

Fahrija
11-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks again for response!

Hi Mihai,
Thanks for your rating to sketch 3 and 7 and also for compliment. Keep up your good work. I constantly visit your thread > Your rendering and painting technique is great.

Hi cocoknight,
Thanks for your comment. I devinitely agree to your point of view. Functionalty and practical aspects of science-fiction vehicles are very interesting and important topics.

V_Shane and Kraull
thanks for your encouragment and comments.

Hi Michael,
Thank you for compliment. Hey, you found my work I made at braunwagner :) That project is awhile ago but I still remember it was a bunch of work. Thanks for your interest concerning this matter. Its interesting to see that you deal with so many different topics in regard to your comment of italdesign. Besides the design it was fun sketching the fighter because at work every procuct has to be shown so clean and new like. To give things a bit more rough and used look makes fun.

Hi LuisNCT,
thanks for you constant visit of my thread and thanks for your comment regarding my fighter sketch. Im glad you like it.

Greetings
Fahrija

Fahrija
11-20-2004, 07:19 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1100978365_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1100978365_large.jpg)

The last sketch in the initial stage. I tried to build up another scene with character in the foreground including a wide range view. Somehow I think I messed this up a bit. But I hope this sketch is readable enough so far.

I have to take the next step in this work in progress. Im not quite sure which sketch I want to give more live but I shortlist sketch 1.0 and 3.0.

Comments and suggestions for this sketch and also for helping out in choosing are welcome.

Greetings
Fahrija

greentek
11-20-2004, 11:16 PM
hi Fahrija..
despite the fact that i like this sketch a lot i still preffer #3.. i'm not surprised to see one more excellent sketch from you mate.. i don't know why but i like #3 the most.. maybe because, in my opinion, there is a clear idea and strong expression..
the best of luck and keep going my friend!!! :thumbsup:
cheers..

NinjaA55N
11-20-2004, 11:17 PM
Hi there! I sort of like that last one, but it has too much information in my opinion (too colorfull). I would change the floor, and instead of hills and rocks, paint a water.. a great lake under the fighting scene. The monster and its rider (if i read correctly) in the first plan would be like Nessy on top of the water surface. Thats my suggestions :) great technique as always!

stevetwist
11-22-2004, 08:23 AM
Latest concept is cool, but considering you shortlisted 1 and 3 (two of my favourites, yay), I'd have to say 3 gets my vote. IMO it's still the best concept of all of the ones so far.

Good luck with the next stages... glad to see you're gonna settle on an idea.

Kraull
11-22-2004, 02:12 PM
I've nothing to add about the composition. The effect of the explosion at the back is well done and your choice of colors fit together. I know it's not your final test color, but maybe the color of the brown building could be alter a little bit question that it would be slitely different from your beast at the front. It may give a little bit more perspective I think. Anyway, your work is great so far!:thumbsup:

LuisNCT
11-22-2004, 02:38 PM
The sketchs whom like me more are the 3 and the 8. The 7 is great but maybe don't gives that space-opera feeling.

greentek
11-22-2004, 10:01 PM
just to be clear Fahrija, the sketch i like the most is #7.. but i don't know if you can through it to show some grand stuff.. and from this point of view i preffer #3.. though most important is what and how your going to express..
cheers..

Tranchefeux
11-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Hi,
Your last post is good, but the topic of the battle is better for
me on the 03, I think that you should Re work on the 01 to extrapolate
it still more
Good road for the continuation.

Fahrija
11-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks for your comments and sorry for the late reply also not showing further developments > had a really bad week and things have to go slow for next days also.

Hi Paul,
thanks for your helpfull comments. You are right about sketch 7 > by now I know that it will be more mysterious than grand so I leave this one. I focus on 3 but Im not quite happy with the camera angle. Regarding this "andreasrocha" had some critics I have still in mind.

Hi NinjASSN,
thanks man, for your comments on the last one. Nice ideas :)

Hi SteveTwist,
thanks for your rating

Hi Kraull,
thanks and yes, after reading your post I also recognized it. Same colors > this wasnt intended. I devinetley will work on this one after the GSO challenge.

Hi LuisNCT,
thanks for rating and comment

Hi Tranchefeux,
thanks for your comment. You are right I hope I find the time to work in between on the first sketch. I try to keep it as emergency solution if sketch 3 does not develop like I intend.

Greetings
Fahrija

daadaa
11-29-2004, 12:11 AM
hey, on sketch 8.0 .. or ur latest one, i just thought itll be really cool if the explosion has caused some land to collapse and a building is falling down :)

Fahrija
12-02-2004, 12:39 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1101991197_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1101991197_large.jpg)

Hi fellows,

Im still struggling with the after-effects of a car-accident I unindepted was involved last week. I hope I can get back to work with less pain in a few days.

Meanwhile I post the LineArt which lead me to Sketch 3.0. I dont know how important it is regarding the milstones but I made it anyway so why not posting.

Greetings and good luck to everyone.
Fahrija

tikson
12-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Fahrija, car accident are the worst thing I know... Cars are making too much pain for himankind and the environment. I'll hope you're ok soon.

but about your sketches:
I like palette of your first two sketches. And for me the coolest pictures are 1st and 5th because on first picture I like the confrontation of huge city and wild outer space (countryside? :))... but on fifth picture I like most this aerial perspective and tiny ships flying out from this huge thing. It gives really cool feeling of a scale. Maybe it is possible to melt these two ideas somehow - the feeling of flying, open perspective and different scales between huge and tiny? I'd like to see some huge flying 'cities' (or ships or whatever) to add more fantastic and spacial look... Go on :thumbsup:!

Smooth recovery!

Nomad
12-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Hi! I like a lot the vertical image with the city in your last sketch, this looks epic and interesting to devlopp.

Hope all go well and you can back to work :thumbsup:

greentek
12-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Hi fellows,

Im still struggling with the after-effects of a car-accident I unindepted was involved last week. I hope I can get back to work with less pain in a few days.

Meanwhile I post the LineArt which lead me to Sketch 3.0. I dont know how important it is regarding the milstones but I made it anyway so why not posting.

Greetings and good luck to everyone.
Fahrija
oooooo.. :eek:
i'm very sorry my friend about this bad event.. :sad:
i wish you recover fast and without any post-problems..
the best of health Fahrija and cheers.. :beer:

oops.. as for new sketches.. they're great mate.. very similar composition to what i'm going to do in my scene.. i personally like it a lot..
cheers again friend and untill later! :beer:

Fahrija
12-05-2004, 08:21 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1102278104_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1102278104_large.jpg)

Hi

the first coloring wip for sketch 3.0. I removed the big rock on the right hand an tried to increase the range and depth by changing the format to widescreen. There are lots of details to be done > I am not happy with the design of the buildings (in the lineArt picture it looks better). I try test adding some bridges, props and a big mothership in the center of the picture.
What do you think?

I attached the first one behind to have a better comparison regarding the development.
http://www.studioambrozus.de/cgtalk/I-11_3.01_Sketch_paradise.jpg

Greetings
Fahrija

Squibbit
12-05-2004, 08:41 PM
well, took a while to notice what was different in the bottom two pics , so to me they're

fine, rock wall or not :)

yea that widescreen is lacking the big ship from the middle, now only the left side is
where the action is and there's not much interesting elsewhere so the eye stays left.

maybe put the big ship center right high and make the buildings more interesting...
couple of fighters could be approaching the burning building at near water level,
maybe capsizing a fishing boat in the process... there could be a surrounded evacuation
ship somewhere...

kaparo
12-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Hello there!
I like your final compositon a lot. I think it needs a little more action on it. The landscape is beautifull but too calm for the kind of things are happening there. I think the ship in the left must be shown to earn more protagonism. If you move it to the right and give it the same speed sense as the others it could be great. Also the clouds could help you to enfasized the movement and drama, perhaps some stratus ones, instead of the cumulus, I dont know. Good work. Keep the progresses!

Arctis
12-05-2004, 11:02 PM
I like the texture you obtained for your sketches, and light effects on the foreground object on the left is really impressive !
I wish you a better health, Fahrija.
Keep on the good work.:thumbsup:

Kraull
12-06-2004, 12:43 AM
My comments follow those previously said by Squibbit. I think too that the pict might need more ships in action in the right part to re-balance the composition. I think also that the vertical compostions of your examples are interesting. I have the impression that the building are tallers this way. Anyway, that is just an impression and the widescreen version might work perfectly too.

nuclearman
12-06-2004, 01:52 AM
Fahrija, terribly sorry to hear about the auto accident. Hope you are feeling better soon!

In regards to the widescreen version, although the colors and landscape are very nice, the eye is immediately drawn to the lower lefthand corner where all the action is taking place, and, lacking either strong foreground elements or dramatic color contrasts (like the juxtaposition of red and blue in the region of the fires) there is very little to draw the eye back to the rest of the frame.

Also, by having the ship hovering only partially within frame on the left, you establish the expectation that "more will be revealed" if the viewer continues to watch this region. Personally, I think the best way to overcome this -- and thereby achieve the balance that others have mentioned -- is to trim the righthand third of the composition (roughly, everything to the right of the low foreground island) and then further develop the compositional diagonal that runs from the bottom lefthand corner ... through the attacking ships ... up to the fires on the tower ... and across the tops of the righthand clouds. I would pull the lower foreground island closer to the camera, so that it registers as larger and there's virtually no gap between it and the island to its left. Next, I'd incorporate another fairly large ship that's roughly in line with the top righthand cloud and fills in a bit of that empty blue space between the tower that's under attack and the top righthand cloud. These two adjustments would help strengthen the diagonals in the composition *without* forming a perfectly symmetrical (and thus less interesting) composition. (Another possibility would be to place a second, even larger -- but much more distant -- tower in the righthand section, and place it under attack, too. The key is to play up that bottom left-to-top right diagonal, so the entire composition feels more dynamic, and the eye follows a course that encompasses the entire image.)

As usual, you've selected a beautiful color palette for your scene, Fahrija. It's just a matter of fine-tuning the visual dynamics by playing to where the eye naturally goes.

Heliogabalo
12-06-2004, 02:20 AM
beuty and nice work

NinjaA55N
12-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Marvelous new sketches Fahrija! I'll wait with suggestions just to see where will u settle.. I think that this environment could be the one, something fresh in this challenge and still grand. I hope u r OK (the accident) and that u'll normally and successfuly finished ur piece. Good luck!

element5
12-07-2004, 07:54 AM
hope you are feeling better :)

Your recent images are looking great, I do like the wider shot :thumbsup:

bonestudio
12-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Well even if our concepts are a bit blurry, they are great !!! Can't wait to see what will be your choice

Fahrija
12-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Thank you for your comments and your kind words > the worst time I left behind me. Some parts of my spine are still hurting but it feels that this also will be gone in short time (hopefully)

Hi tikson,
thanks for your comment. You are right about sketch 5. And I try to confer this impression into sketch 3 by establishing a widescreen format. Lets see if the melting process will show if it works. thanks again.

Hi nomad,
thanks for comment.

Hi Paul,
thanks for everything and good luck to you also.

Hi Kraull and Squibbit,
Yes youre right about the current composition. I still have to add a lot of stuff into the image but I thought I post the actual state of affairs to show that I think about leaving the vertical size. The idea with the evacuation ship sounds nice.

Hi kaparo,
thank you for your comment. Yes, the image devinetley needs more action. Ill add some more ships and other details at the right side of the image. Im also unhappy with the current cloud structure. At the moment I dont find the right way in painter to establish adequate clouds for this scene. Ill work on that.

Hi Pierre,
thank you for encouragment :)

Hi Michael,
thank you very much for your analysis. Yes, the current composition needs to be modified. Ill try to implement your suggestions. I thought about establishing a big mothership in the right half of the picture where those transport ships like in the left handside come out and spread over the sea-paradise to release little fighter ships. I will check out your suggestion regarding the buildings in the background but Its very difficult to place those islands into the scene because the horizont line is located very close to the bottom of the image. Thanks again for your time.

Hi Horge,
thanks for your comment

Hi Blaz,
Thank you for visitig my thread and your encouragement. I looking forward to your opinion to the next images.

Hi element5 and bonestudio,
thanks for your rating and your comments.

Greetings
Fahrija

Nethermind
12-15-2004, 06:26 AM
Hi, just had to say great work, love the style. I have to say that I really prefer the concept (2 I think? the first sepia-ish tone work with the woman in the lower left corner. I got much more of an 'epic stuggle' than the other concepts. I also has more of a human element in it which I feel takes nothing away from the grandiose scale of the environment and contest subject matter..rather it makes it more dramatic.
I mean you can have as much technology as you want but in the end, this human element is where the epic struggle comes in..and what better struggle than a monumental uprising? It pits the person against this seemingly impenatrable fortress/city.
instead of say technology vs technology, which I feel dominate your newest concepts. (although very sweet concepts in themselves I might ad.)

Has all the classic elements found in a star wars novel book cover.

my 2

kevin.

NinjaA55N
12-18-2004, 04:36 PM
updates? :wip:

Fahrija
12-18-2004, 06:34 PM
At the moment Im working on the current topic of sketch 3. I was very unhappy about the whole composition and the arrangement of the current one. Im checking new perspective views and try to add more functionality to the content > as regards the buildings and the environment. Try to add some foreground elements.

New updates devinetley at least by tomorrow. Thanks for patience. :)

Hi Blasterboy,
thanks for comment.

Hi Blaz,
I try my best. thanks for showing by.

Greetings
Fahrija

Fahrija
12-19-2004, 05:37 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1103477838_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1103477838_large.jpg)

I made two sketeches regarding the architecture of my waterplanet scene. The water planet has some big underwater districtes connected on the bottom of the islands. Some of them braking through the sea-line to transport air into the deeper parts and some of the are used as habour station in case the island affords not enough space for it. The big architecture above is located on a big tail-lift to prevent flooding of the lower sections in case of increasing water level [...]

Fahrija
12-19-2004, 05:39 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1103477977_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1103477977_large.jpg)

...]
The architechture above the sea line is connected to a tall thin building which acts as an rail to the main part. The weight of the main part is controled by a swimming (anti)gravity platform.

By now Im drawing a new scene wich brings this stuff together. I hope to come up with the line drawing of the new composition by the next days.

Greetings
Fahrija

Impenetrable D
12-19-2004, 06:00 PM
I like what you are doing Fahrija it kind of reminds me of a space shuttle launch of somekind.
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/image.php?entry_id=23562

Aethyrprime
12-19-2004, 07:11 PM
Looking good. You seem to have a clear definition of what you want to do. At the moment, I would say that if you increased the contrast of elements in the scene as you work further it will drive the overall impact of this idea home. Keep up the good work!

lynch
12-19-2004, 07:56 PM
nice i like the color an the idea of monumental architechture stay true to your ideas and think big

[HTML]
(http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=189331)my (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=189331) space opera 2d
(http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=189331)

Nomad
12-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi,
I like a lot your architectural approach, the buildings looks already "real" and functionnal.
It will be nice to add some landing areas/platforms for helicopters and for any other flying machines.
Great work, :thumbsup: looking for more...

GaeasHerald
12-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Fahrija, you work is truly excellent! :applause: I particulary like the cityscape structure -a. It has an odd lookin' design that I find very appealing. It's very refreshing and inspiring to see this kind of aproach. Keep up with the good work and the best of luck with your recovery.

KaleN
12-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Nice designs. I think that adding some tiny detail or humnan figures would give a better sense of scale. Looking forqard for next skatches!

Fahrija
12-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Im still working on my line art. Will post progress soon. I wasted my time with sketching another spaceship design for the habitants. It was fun doing it but didnt push forward the progress as far as concerned the composition.

Hi impentrable D,
thanks for encouragement.

Hi ||) |V| |^|,
Thanks for comment Ill keep in mind

Hi Lynch,
Thanks, I hope it will look big at the end :)

Hi Nomad,
Yes :) landing platforms > a very good idea. I will consider that. Thanks.

Hi Gaias Herald,
Thank you very much for encouragement and comment.

Hi Kalen,
You are right. I have to show clear indication of characters or something near it to give a better impression of the scene. I hope it will work. Thanks for comment. :)

Greetings
Fahrija

Fahrija
12-23-2004, 03:58 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1103817483_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1103817483_large.jpg)

Hi erveryone,

Beside the line-art composition I made a fighter sketch of the habitants. just to give an impression of the waterworld. I put in some indications of the surrounding to get in the mood. :) In opposite to the other fighter this one is less armed but much more flexible and faster. I hope to come up with my line art after sunday.

Wish everybody a merry christmas and a lot of success with your grand space opera.

Greetings
Fahrija

Nomad
12-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Verry nice fighter :thumbsup: I see we are both fans of the same bio-design approach :D

Keep up the grand art :) I`m looking forward to see more :bounce:

Fahrija
12-24-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi Nomad,

thanks for your comment. Thanks for your interest. Yours great as well. Keep up and good luck. :)

BTW - what means WH40K?

Greetings
Fahrija

Tranchefeux
12-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Hi, Very, very good last tone post, metal well considering.

GaeasHerald
12-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Fantastic fighter! The design makes it really easy to know which side it comes from. Will the city structure have a similar material?
Keep up with the good work. :bounce:

Aerion
12-27-2004, 03:22 PM
This fighter is just exellent.

I feel a little bit of Ryan Church in there , but that's cool :)

Reflections and colors are great , but maybe the backgroud should be a bit more blurry even if you want to show your building , and I see a little problem with the alignement of the reactor.

But overall , a great one ;)

walrus
12-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Fahrija - Beautiful design and rendering of the fighter. The metallic texture and sheen on it is just sumptuous! I can't wait to see your whole piece come together this well.

And WH40K refers to 'WarHammer40K,' a game/miniature line with a distinctive look and style to its tech.

best of luck, anf thanks for the suggestion on my thread!

-mike

robinayles
12-28-2004, 03:33 PM
...and this is 2D?! WOW! Just amazing!

I think I now have to retire my WACOM and take up juggling. <sigh>

Fahrija
12-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi fellows, thanks for comments drop over into my thread :)

Hi Mike,
thanks for encouragement. Youre making a very good job. Im sure your image will go far. And thanks for info about WH40K :)

Hi Aerion,
Thanks for encouragement. The Ryan Church look was not quite intended but probably it is due to the arrangement of the objects in the image which maybe looks like in one of his dvds. I had the background blurry before and I thought it looked to dimly but you are right it could be a bit more blurry like that.

Hi Gaias Herald,
thanks for comment. The citystructure will not look exactly the same but it also will have many breaks at the cover. I hope the size will alow to add my little fighters into my image.

Greetings
Fahrija

Fahrija
12-28-2004, 05:03 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1104253408_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1104253408_large.jpg)

First view of the new arrangement of my scene. In comparison to the first colored sketch I lifted up the horizont line to show a bit more of the structure that is located mostly in the water. I have to re-arrange a lot more before starting coloring. The foreground at right handside will get some roof with indication of characters. The invasion ships also need some more attention. When theres time I make a seperate technical-sketch of them. I thought it could be nice to give them a kind of architecural face in front. FX and fighters will appear at last during coloring. I have to hurry up... times running

Let me know what you think about the new composition arrangement of the objects? Any suggestions?

Greetings
Fahrija

GaeasHerald
12-28-2004, 08:45 PM
:thumbsup: Excellent arrangement! It is a little crowded, but with the right coloring that should be no problem. I can't wait to see how this develops.

Fahrija
12-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Hi Gerado,

thanks for your encouragement.

Greetings
Fahrija

ace4016
12-30-2004, 11:55 PM
The city looks great, i like. The other drawings ive seen look great too, i just wish i looked at more 2d entries in the beginning.

ElFuego
12-31-2004, 01:21 PM
Beutiful picture(s) Very cool vertical-based compostition. The last linedrawing looks really good and that underwater thing fits it perfectly. Those ships in the linedrawing look much better than that fighter but the fighter is still a pretty nasty warmachine :)

It feels like those modern saudi-arabic hotel buildings ( with scifi touch)

Nice work!

xeNusion
12-31-2004, 01:33 PM
nette lineart. die farben der colorversion sind mir etwas zu tuffig ;)
letztendlich wohl geschmackssache

Fahrija
12-31-2004, 04:27 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1104510426_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1104510426_large.jpg)

Hi everyone,
I need some opinions and suggestions to the very first color blocking of my lineArt image. Just the shapes with less lightning indication yet. The landing-ships are re-desingned and will get more face-lifting during detailing. The foreground part with the island at right handside will get a detailed version, too.
Im not quite sure how to handle the reflexion but I need to seperate it frome the shadows the objects cast onto the water. Therefore the sunlight will primarly come from the left side behind the viewing point.

I have a question: The image has a resolution of 4606x3177 Pixel (39cm x 26,9cm) with 300dpi. Does that work? I very much hope that because my workstation at home runs at full capacity.

I wish you all a happy new year.

Greetings
Fahrija

Fahrija
12-31-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks for your previous comments about lineArt

Hi ace4016,
thanks for encouragement :)

Hi elfuego,
thank you very much for your comment. I still want to include those little fighters into the scene. I hope this will work. Yes, it has a little bit of Dubai :) but as regards the islands in the water - at the very beginning I had Thailand in mind like I know it from the James Bond title with Roger Moore " the man with the golden gun".

Hi xeNusioin,
the first colors are really a bit "tuffig" [Woher kommt eigentlich der Begriff? Der ist mir vllig neu :) ] I hope I can prevent this a little bit by including more atmosphere and less saturation into the scene but this will be tough on a shiny day in "paradise".
[Viel Erfolg mit deinem Bild. Sieht jetzt shon sehr cool aus.]

Greetings
Fahrija

Falcorr
12-31-2004, 05:49 PM
All your artwork exhibit very realistic choice for colors.

So i guess you cant go wrong in what ever you choose to do. I wish i could be able to see your palette wheel and how you pick to use each kind of color for certain areas.

No advices for you just waiting for the final pic. Only note is that when doing architechture buildings lighting will make or brake the scene. Choose well.

Good luck and happy new year! :)

xeNusion
12-31-2004, 07:14 PM
and less saturation into the scene.

yup that could help.
it just had abit to much of both (colours and saturation). ;)

Fahrija
01-01-2005, 02:41 AM
Hi everyone,

Europe arrived into the new year (local time: 3.50 am). Good party to all the american members of our earth :)

Hi Falcor,
thank you very much for kind words. In the moment Im not very confident if I can paint all parts I would like how I want it to be. Lets see in which direction it develops.

Hi xeNusion,
I hope it will not look tuffi again in further development.

Greetings
Fahrija

ElFuego
01-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Hi Fahrija!

The coloring looks really good! and ehen the reflections come in it's gonna look even more so. I think some wind in the sky tearing those clouds would be a good addon. It would give speed to that design for sure.

About your question:

I keep my image quite low resolution (1500pix / 1000pix with 100-200dpi) until I start to add detail to it. Then I just upres it to 4000x3000 300dpi or whatever is needed and Draw all the lines and details in. The upressing doesn't damage the colours that much and after adding those details and lines in high res mode It looks as good as you'v done it in highres all the way (and it speeds the process up like 200%) I learnt this tip from Ryan Church (concept designer for Star Wars Episodes 2&3 so its pretty reliable information) :)

Fahrija
01-02-2005, 05:18 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1104686304_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1104686304_large.jpg)

I need help.

Im still blocking things in to the picture. But I have no idea how to create a convincing skyscraper surface which has a kind of detail-looking character but not to much because of the distance.

Thanks a lot.
Fahrija

Tranchefeux
01-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Hi,
Good progrssion, but it remains much of work attention to the
time... go, go. :bounce:

Fahrija
01-02-2005, 10:09 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1104703767_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1104703767_large.jpg)

Starting to detail the shapes at some points.

Hmm... I worry about finishing > bad scheduling

cgkrusty
01-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Go man... I hope you finish, what you've got so far is gorgeous.

So are you just dodging in Photoshop to get your metal sheen?

Love the light on the ship in your latest post...

ace4016
01-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Nice job on the ship. About the skyscrapers, maybe you could try a concrete looking suface (the buidlings remind me of the buildings in batman beyond and they seem to be made of concrete). Then again you could go with a dull metallic surface for the buidlings. Just some ideas.

NinjaA55N
01-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Hi there Fahrija! I see that u r progressing very well! Its a very good pic, and I only hope that u'll detail it as it should be.. I expect lots of rust and moss on the metal surfaces... and ofcourse... The water should be nice and very reflective so we could see a double image in the picture :) Lots of expectations from this pic! Good luck!

walrus
01-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Very cool, Fahrija! That ship is just looking great! I love the surface, and the glow on the top is terrific. I really hope that you have time to finish everything, it's going to look great. That being said, it won't help for me to suggest abhig major change, so sorry, but I'm going to toss this out here anyhow just for the heck of it: Right now I don't get a huge sense of drama from your shot. The buildings are dramatic, and the scale is, too... However, the pleasant sky lends to the feeling of "just another day in a futuristic paradise." I wonder how much more drama might be imparted by a more dramatic color in the sky - dark storm clouds, or an ominous red glow, or an eeirie green. Anyhow, just an idea, and no worries if you don't like it or it's just too late in the cycle to consider it. I do like the rendeing job you've done on it so far. No matter what, this will be an attractive piece... Good luck finishing it!

-mike

Fahrija
01-06-2005, 12:58 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1104973111_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1104973111_large.jpg)

Still blocking things into the scene that makes it look blurry at the moment. Try to put more details. The fighter sequences are still missing.

the reflections and the watersurface will be added at last because I try to establish the look of the underwater parts.

A zoom of the current waterpart below:
http://www.studioambrozus.de/cgtalk/wip03d.jpg

GaeasHerald
01-06-2005, 04:24 AM
Fahrija: the sky looks awesome (not very dramatic, but awesome anyway), and as you said, the water is in progress, still the underwater parts of it look great. You've done a good job texturing the skyscappers, and with the fighters on it, this will be my favorite pic! The only thing that I really dislike are the bushes, cause they are a bit flat at the moment. GOOD LUCK!

Arctis
01-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Hey, hey, it's growing nicely...
Keep on the good work !

NinjaA55N
01-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Yes Fahrija, yes.. very beutiful :) Is there gonna be any ppl? Any kind of living form? I think that u could use some wires or anyother lines somewhere in the pic to bring more dynamic to it. Just some suggestions..

MDN67
01-06-2005, 12:50 PM
i like this the compo it's approch 3d the painting is very clear very good paint great i like this again

Samueldeni
01-06-2005, 03:59 PM
great composition

Fahrija
01-06-2005, 08:35 PM
special thanks for your encouragement. I was very uncertain how to evaluate the current stage and especially the current composition.

Hi Gaias Herald,
thank you very much for your encouragement. Im glad you like the image. Oh yes the bushes need devinetley more attention. I need to try out how to develop them furthermore.

Hi Arctis,

Hi Blaz,
to you also: thank you for your encouragement. Im also unhappy about the people situation. At the right foreground part I want to establish some habitants watching the situation from the roof of the building. The composition only alows me to create some indications of people. As regardes the wires I will play around with some stuff to see whats possible but I have to keep the time in mind. My workflow is not constant. sometimes I work two hours on the image and I just produce "crap". But some more elements wich assist reading the perspective could be good.

Hi Walrus,
the sky really looks a bit to friendly - the first intention I had doing this was to have special kind of paradise look and that the enemies suddenly arrive without any warning.
I tried it several times to add more mood into the sky but somehow Im not able to get it to this point. :( But if I have time I try something with the light youve suggested. Thank you very much for your comment.

Hi MDN67,
thank you for your comment. :)

Hi Samueldeni,

Fahrija

ElFuego
01-06-2005, 10:36 PM
wow...That latest update is fantastic!

The water is soooo nice...I could just sit here watching it for hours :D

Some tiny improvements (nuthing to worry about...just my personal ideas):
When you add those fighter try to get some diagonal movement going on...It would be great to break that vertical movement...and to add some kickass speed and battlefrenzy!! :D
And those oneman fighters really bring the scale into reality. Those really small fighters in the lower right corner open the pictures scale proportions but now they are not enough to really show it. After you'v got those fighter in the right places It's brilliant!

-elFuego

llllllll
01-06-2005, 11:17 PM
very nice, the sky seem too blue and ,i would make it more grayish blue so it blends better with rest of composition.and take away attention from your nice design down on the ground

andreasrocha
01-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Great, Fahrija. Your rendering of surfaces is awesome. Really good. I would like to suggest a couple of things:

1. Some of the towers seem to be tilting to the sides and the horizon (even if your intention is to show it curved) seems to be tilting downwards on the left side. I would suggest bringing out some rulers and try to straighten these elements to strengthen your composition.

2. The vegetation somehow seems to have too much texture. Try to give detail only in some areas.

3. Probably your are still going to do this...but the building in the foreground to the right could use some more detail...

4. I don't know if the blue on the top is too saturated and too dark. Try some variations, perhaps, if you haven't done so already.

Keep up the great work!

Fahrija
01-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks for your comments - they are really helpfull. Im working, working,... I will get it done.

Hi Elfuego,

thank you for encouragement. Yes the fighters are very important to give the scene more live and dramatic. I hope I can create them like we both have the action in mind :)

Hi boalid,

the sky was mentioned by many people - to friendly and not supporting the scene (except of Gajas Herald :) ). I try to go back to it but in the moment I have to set the focus on the foreground part. Thank you for comment.

Hi andreas,

Thank you very much for dropping over to my thread and your helpful suggestions. You have a exelent eye on the things. :) Devinetley yes to the buildings. I try to fix it. The foreground one was much worst before but when you mention it I have to go back again.
The blue of the sky also need to be a bit desaturated. I thought the vegetation need a bit more attention and put some more work into it. Im looking forward to see if you still find them a bit to overstyled.

Fahrija

AirbORn
01-08-2005, 08:41 AM
Sorry I haven't visited your thread in a while :(

I missed out on a lot of progress too dammit... I love the ship and building designs. The colours are nice and the sense of scale you are developing is promising. My favourit is the little sail boats among the buildings. very nice touch :)

MDN67
01-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Always very good work, i like the cool ambiance of your concept. The choice of color is very good, a impression of tranquility, of cool cicivizasion. The add of boat in the sea is very great is like a"riviera" but in the futur, i very like this, good work

Fahrija
01-08-2005, 09:53 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105221200_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105221200_large.jpg)

The next progress. In terms of the comments on the sky I tried to add a bit more mood. What do you think about it? I will post some zoom-pictures to get a better impression. There is still much to go. A lot of details and establishing more mood. The skyscrapers need a lot of attention before I can start with reflections.

Fahrija

Fahrija
01-08-2005, 10:05 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105221913_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105221913_large.jpg)

a zoom of the ship. I ve added plasma fragments which are coming out of the wings to give some more indications in terms of movement.

After some suggestions about sky and light it was the first thing I had in mind. What do you think, walrus?

Fahrija

Fahrija
01-08-2005, 10:09 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105222138_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105222138_large.jpg)

Ops! Ive posted the wrong picture to my text, sorry.
The image-zoom above shows the waterpart in the foreground.

nermin
01-09-2005, 01:36 AM
Wow, jel ovo sve radito u 2d ili ima i 3d rada ovdje? Nadam se da razumijes, vidim ime je nase pa reko da na nasem se javim :-)

Hope you understand? ;)

Fahrija
01-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Hi nermin,

thank you for your comment to my image. Unfortunatley Im not able to understand what youve written. I can only suggest what the content could be. My relatives often blame me for that circumstance but somehow the bilingualism didnt work on me. Sorry.

Greetings
Fahrija

Squibbit
01-09-2005, 03:29 PM
:surprised

dude , that's masterful work,
the whole thread!

eek

Falcorr
01-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Fahrija i like that floating thing you have done, but when it comes to casting shadows should it really cast shadows on open sky?

Looks weird. Almost like sky is becoming 2d plane for that area.

Then again what do i know about art anyway. Good luck!

ered dium
01-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Hi Fahrija It look cool, I really like the spaceship light. Also the city and the other elements.
Maybe you can add more details to the spaceship.
Great image :scream:

Grand Space Opera (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=180121) - Leo Calv

Fahrija
01-09-2005, 11:24 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105313077_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105313077_large.jpg)

Hi,

I made some more details and worked out many little shapes around the image. But the main focus was to sharpen the big building in the middle + giving it more details. I also made the little tower in the right bottom bigger to show the peoples better.

Below I placed a zoom of somewhere in the image just to give an additional impression. If there were time I would uprez the image and make more details but thats impossible. To much work ahead.

Fahrija

http://www.studioambrozus.com/cgtalk/wip05d.jpg

Aethyrprime
01-10-2005, 01:00 AM
This is a very pretty scene. Nice tone. I like the reflections and sense of movement you are accomplishing. Good job!:thumbsup:

blakbird
01-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Keep on going, your architectural style makes a real difference.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=197505

ace4016
01-10-2005, 02:25 AM
I like the direction you going in with this painting. To me it looks pretty good, just keep going.

ecura
01-10-2005, 03:26 AM
The design you have on the building and spacecraft looks very cool. There is a unique style to your work which makes it very interesting look. It has a mix of soild and softness to the method you carry out. looking good.

Fahrija
01-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Some replies:

Hi Squibbit,
thank you for looking over to my thread - yours is great as well. :)

Hi Falcor,
yes youre right about the light. My try to get some more mood and lightning effects into the scene. somehow I like the effect on the upper side of the image but below the its to shiny. I have to detract it.

ered dium,
yes detailing on the spaceship in foreground will come.

||) |V| |^|,
thank you for encouragement :)

kuzgunoglu,
thank you for your comment.

ace4016,
thank you, Ill do my best.

ecura,
thanks, Im glad you like the design. :)

Fahrija

Belisarius
01-10-2005, 02:33 PM
It is a very inspiring piece of work. I especially like the ship design and the idea of a water city. Still, I would have loved to see more detail on the main spire and I'm not too sure about the grey mist in the back of the image.

Good luck.

GaeasHerald
01-10-2005, 04:18 PM
When I look at you image i really feel I'm there, that's probably one of the greatest features of your work. The metalic look on the buildings is awesome, and you already know i love the underwater parts of the city. Are you sure that all that detail will show after the reflections are added? The dock and boats truly show that there's nothing left to chance here. The only thing I'm not sure about is the size of the people on the copper dome.

Good job! Congratulations:bounce:.

Fahrija
01-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Hi Gerado,

thank you very much for encouragement. Im really glad you like the image. And also thanks for the continious support. The reflections are usually very strong. You are right about this but Im trying to find the right mixture. The bottom of the island-city is fortunatley some darker. That makes it more confortable. I hope I also find the right way to give the water more live with some breaks or very little waves without to wipe out the underwater part. Theres still so much to do. The copper-dome is placed on a bank infront of the buildings you see behind. But you are right you can see it also at the same place, then the scale of the people is wrong. I try out if I can fix this by desaturating the buildings behind some more.

Hi Belisarius,
thanks for comment. I also hope I can do some more details on the main-building. Cause it
lies on the center of interest.

Fahrija

Fahrija
01-10-2005, 11:38 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105400330_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105400330_large.jpg)

I started with the reflection on the water. I just made it for the big parts at first. What do you think about the mixture. Is the underwater-part still there and the reflection not to less.

fahrija

Fahrija
01-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Hi something else I would like to add:

Im very unhappy at least with the right part of the sky. Too dark at the top (like andreas said) and to dirty in the middle.

Does anybody has a good advice?

Fahrija

spacesnail
01-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Wow what a superb entry. Just one crit and maybe a part of the solution. Is the upper left space ship bigger than the building ? If so, you could be using atmospherics to partially attenuate the sky... Hope this may help...:thumbsup:

GaeasHerald
01-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Fahrija: as I see it, you'll have to solve the sky coloring before working on the reflections. I reckon you'll have to add some ripples to prevent it from looking like a flat mirror. Maybe it's not even a shading issue: just mess up the reflections, add a few highlights and you'll be done with it!

This pic is pure eye-candy. Just love it!

AirbORn
01-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Great progress! I am liking this piece more and more each time you update it. :)

To answer your sky question, I'd say slightly lighten up the blue with a lighter blue with a little bit of grey in it. The blue you currently have feels too Ultramarine, and the rest of your composition feels like a lightsteelblue, with a touch of grey. Try it out, perhaps it will help. :)

Good luck, I'll stop by before the deadline :)

ps. the reflections looks great. :)

Arctis
01-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Hi,
No crits about the sky... But the horizon needs more work ( to give the impression that the scene is extending far away...)
Nice work, keep it up !

Fahrija
01-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Thank you for your critics and comments. I have to work much harder > still a lot to go.
My time-management is not good but I will do my best. Im sitting here at work but instead I would like to work on my image. Thats not a good sign :)

Hi spacenail,
thank you very much. I will try it out. Good luck with your work.

Hi Gerado,
thank you for helping out. I have to work on both a bit more. Yes you are right > Especially the reflections need some more little fine breaks at the edges to make it look more like water.

Hi Airborn,
Thanks for your kind words and for your suggestion > Ill try this out.

Hi Arctis,
At first I thougt. Why the background? But just now I made a print of my image and recognized that you are right about it. The background needs more attention. Thanks :)

Fahrija

Fahrija
01-12-2005, 12:00 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105488026_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105488026_large.jpg)

I tried to make some overall work on the whole picture. mostly I made reflections complete (but without adding the watersurface yet) I changed the saturation at the top and also the sky at the right part. some lights and little strokes everywhere.

I have to concentrate now on the big ship. This has to be complete tommorrow or I am in trouble. Arrgh.

What do you think about the sky change so far? And where do you think is detailing still very important?

Fahrija

STARBUCK
01-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanx for all of your comments on my picture, it is helpfull to keep on working hard.
For your picture, i think that the ship on the high right corner needs to be more detailled.
You can also add many more of your ships in the far background because i think your horizon is a little bit too "empty".
Whatever, good luck for the finish my friend.

walrus
01-12-2005, 04:43 PM
And where do you think is detailing still very important?

Mostly on the right side:
The dome in the lower right feels not quite up to the level of the rest.
the ship on the upper right (but you knew that!)
The tower in the back right (though not as much, because it's further away.)
And I confess to having some trouble reading all of those triangular things on the lewer right, too. With so many other boats in the scene, they read a bit like sail-boat sails, blown over, 'though I don't think that's what they are. Parhaps part of the issue is that all of the other architecture is very vertical, and these break that up and thus appear broken.

I think Starbuck is right about the horizon too. I'm not even sure it's horizontal (or whether that matters!)

But overall: Looking good! Good luck this week!

-mike

Fahrija
01-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks for your helpful comments and suggestion. Very important for me.

Hi Starbuck,
thanks for your comments and suggestions on my image. I will work out the background - it really needs more live. keep up your good work. I very much like the design of your images youve created for your thread.

Hi Walrus,
thank you very much for leading my eye to the horizont. All the time I thought there is something wrong. The right part of the horizont is much higher than the left one. That is devinetley not intended. I will fix that and do something additional on the horizont.
The triangular shapes are solar-panels. I never saw it the way you describe but thats why I look on this picture every day. Ill see what I can do there.

Fahrija

Tommy Lee
01-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Oh my god... This piece is incredible!!:eek:

Absolutly nothing to crit. Beautyfull...

Cheerz:thumbsup:

Tom

PS: Thanks for stoping by in my thread...:)

Nomad
01-13-2005, 07:14 AM
Nice progress here :applause:
As mentioned before the ship on top-right have to be refined... no other crits.

I`m looking forward to see the finished image :bounce:

newcenturydsn
01-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Wow Fahrija, this is excellent!! Your attention to detail is outstanding...:eek:

Did you use a tool to get the reflections in the water, or did you have to repaint everything to get the reflections to work?
Inquiring minds would like to know!!

Absoutely beautiful work done here!!
:beer:

conundrum
01-13-2005, 02:33 PM
superb stuff so far, certainly very alien and some top notch ship designs. everything in the image is very well designed and rendered. i think it has been mentioned that parts of the image are sort of lacking activity, particularly the water. my suggestion is to increase the ripples of the water, it appears that the water is moving quite fast around the trees but there is no real affect other than in their immediate area. adding more of a flow around and after objects should help to make the water more interesting and the ripples could make for some nice distortions of the reflections. thats all though, other than that its a great painting and with some tweaking it could certainly be a contender

Fahrija
01-13-2005, 08:47 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105649256_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105649256_large.jpg)

I tried to give the watersurface some structure but I dont know how to estimate the development. Im not so happy about the look. Is the size texture size o.k.?

Fahrija

Fahrija
01-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Additional information to the detail image above:

please klick on the image to watch the original size. The website layout you see above is very different to that.

monsitj
01-13-2005, 09:25 PM
oh!man u are great!! can't believe that 2d , i think it's come out from the rendering!
nothing to crits , good luck

ace4016
01-14-2005, 01:26 AM
Thats some amazing detail. I like the pattern you put on the big building. Hope to be at that drawing/painting level one day (if i ever get the chance to start 2d).

Fahrija
01-14-2005, 01:40 AM
Thanks for your comments and support to my work. I can only repeat > very encouraging and helpfull.

Hi TommyLee,
thanks for visiting my thread. Im glad you like the image.

Hi Nomad,
thanks. Im currently working on the ship. Im looking forward to your opinion. :)

newcenturydsn,
thank you very much for encouragement. The reflections are not developed so complicated as you might think. Hmm... how can I explain this precisely in a few words.
I took the painted buildings - flipped them - set the opacity on 40% - and very important: you have to erase all parts witch show the top of something (like roofs, etc.) - then I used Strg+T and corrected the perspective. It is useful to split some parts of objects wich are based on two different perspective angles to align them better to the bottom. finaly you have to repaint some little parts or you can also use the stamp. In terms of less time I didnt do it very precisley - essential is just you make the obviously elements correct.
I hope you find this description useful and thank you for your interest.

conundrum
very good analysis. You mentioned all the things which devinetley need more attention. I will do my best to fix it all. :) Thanks for comment.

Hi monsitj,
Wow! :) Thank you for this comment. Your 3d work is amazing. Youve got some incredible skills.

Fahrija

Fahrija
01-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Hi ace4016,
thank you for your comment.

What do you mean by saying:
"if i ever get the chance to start 2d"

Greetings
Fahrija

Fahrija
01-14-2005, 02:05 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105668320_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105668320_large.jpg)

The current development of the ship on the top of my image. As I mentioned before I wanted to give the ships some kind of anger within the ships architecture. I hope its still just an indication of a face and not more. :)

Its still in process. And I have to make sure to get back my metall-sheen which somehow dissapeared at the frontpart. Later I will show some fighters comming out of the entlighten part.

Fahrija

Squibbit
01-14-2005, 02:08 AM
this is just a stunning piece ... i don't think u have to worry too much about
that water surface..or anything for that matter :thumbsup:

ace4016
01-14-2005, 03:45 AM
I get the angry look from the ship, clearly seen (by me). The "eyes" look kind of evil.

What I meant by "If I get a chance to start 2d" is that I always wanted to draw and now that i have spare time learn/practice, that time is being taken over by 3d and programming along with harder classes this semester that are probably going to get harder (engineering). I'll find time sooner or later though, or this summer, hopefully.

YasushAzush
01-14-2005, 06:59 AM
nice job ...grat texture:scream:

Cicinimo
01-14-2005, 08:43 AM
My favorite part of this image has to be the subtle face within the ship. I had that thought well before I read your mention of the very topic. I think you've done a fine job of indicating an angry face, without making a transformer.

Your atmospheric perspective here works wonderfully, and your hierarchy is very effective. The shapes to the left definately dominate the composition, but even the farthest ship plays an important role in the story and layout.

Fahrija
01-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Squibbit,
Thanks for your comment and your support. I very much appreciate this.

ace4016,
Dont worry and keep cool. :) You are so unbelieveable young > you have all the time in
the world. All those skills you learn on college will be helpful when starting painting. Just keep your eyes open :)

visualact.com
thanks for dropping by.

Cicinimo
thanks for your comment :)

Fahrija

walrus
01-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Looking great, Fahrija!

At some point when you have time - it can be after the deadline - I'd love for you to post more about how you achieve your metal effects. The painting and texture on the metal parts is just fantastic!

Good luck!

-mike

Fahrija
01-14-2005, 09:28 PM
Hi mike,

yes, I post more infos for you, after submitting the final image.

Fahrija

BTW: Can you tell me - Is there any special thing I have to know about submitting the final image. Uploading time or something like that?

walrus
01-14-2005, 10:18 PM
When you have your final image ready, there's a two-step process to submit it. For the first, you click on 'submit final image' and it walks you through a process to submit a JPEG in the same way you've submit everything else. When you do that, you will also be given detailed instructions for submitting a full-resolution TIF file as well, i.e. FTP site address, username, password, and what you should name the file. (The TIF has to be ZIPped so what you're really submitting is a ZIP file.) You FTP that and you're done. How long it takes you to FTP it depends on your connection and file size, but mine only took a few minutes (fast connection here!) You can confirm that the FTP worked by checking the 'submit final art' page: If it worked, a thumbnail of your image will show up.

And that's everything! Good luck!

-mike

Fahrija
01-15-2005, 01:13 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105751620_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105751620_large.jpg)

The current stage of the image. Lots of little details added. The background is modified. The foreground buildings got some attention......

Very fast I placed some little fighters for test screening. To place them in terms of size and proportion is a bit difficult but I thought I should try to break the vertikal arrangement a bit and fill the air with stuff. :) What do you think?

The background will get some more attention and I try to place some more details everywhere.

Fahrija
01-15-2005, 01:23 AM
P.S. If you see parts which need devinetley more detailing or other things, tell me.

Fahrija

walrus
01-15-2005, 01:44 AM
All of the fighters look fine, but the top left one is bothering mwe. Not sure why, i think in part because it's clipped by the edge of the screen. Also, 3 is a golden number: maybe you don't need a 4th?

I was just noticing that the horizon, while now horizontal, feels low with the perspective of the piece. I don't notice it too much if i just look at the main building, but when i look at the one in the upper right (which looks great with the fixes, by the way) it feels like it's close to dropping off the edge of the world. Especially when i look at the base of that right building, it feels like the horizon shouldn't be that close. Maybe it's just that that builing is placed too high? Or too low? Or maybe there's enough of a fish-eye lens feel that you could get away with a slightly curved horizon? I don't know, it jjst feels a little off when i look at that part of the image.

hope this helps, as always.... Good luck. Not much left to do, and a whole weekend to do it, whee!

-mike

Fahrija
01-15-2005, 02:02 AM
Hi mike,

thank you very much for your continious support. You are right about the position of the building. It bothers me since my wip06. I think it has to be rearranged a bit towards the bottom of the picture.

And not to forget: thanks for the information about the upload. This helped a lot to estimate how long I can work on this.

Fahrija

cgkrusty
01-15-2005, 02:03 AM
I think it looks like you're trying not to block out your main building by having the fighters only in the negative space around it. I doubt that's your intent...

I love the design of everything, I think the water area looks great and now want to see the attack unleashed on the peaceful world.

:bounce:

I think if you don't obscure some of the beauty you've created or mess it up a bit then it will continue to look like a picture perfect postcard of a future civilization and not the tension filled drama that I think you want to depict.

Great work, love the detail on the FG Mother ship!

Fahrija
01-15-2005, 02:10 AM
Hi Ken,

good point. I rack my brain to find out a way to show more action in a logic way because the fighters are to little to do much harm on the buildings. Maybe some air fights? If there any suggestions let me know.

Thanks for your comment - I appreciate

Fahrija

newcenturydsn
01-15-2005, 02:36 AM
Incredible!!

As far as Painted 2d works goes, I think we have a winner here folks!!

Well Done!!

cgkrusty
01-15-2005, 10:32 AM
What about a few side impacts / explosions on the main building, a fighter crashing into the water, the sail boats being straifed... that sorta thing? Or, what about having the building on the mid-right in flames already consumed by the attack... the smoke might give you an nice backdrop to have some dramatic ship battle which is tough to do now because of the bright blue sky.

Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Fahrija
01-15-2005, 02:59 PM
newcenturydsn
eek! :eek:
Nice to see you feel confident about this but there is a great number of breathtaking artworks in this challenge. But thank you very very much for your encouragement and evaluation to my work.

Ken
excellent suggestions. I try out whats possible. I have to avoid reservation at this point.

Fahrija

Tommy Lee
01-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi TommyLee,
thanks for visiting my thread. Im glad you like the image.

Are you nuts? I love it, absolutly stunning artwork. You should consider to make a tutorial DVD... I would buy it in a wink!:thumbsup:

Cheerz buddy,

Tom

Fahrija
01-15-2005, 07:37 PM
o.k. ...

Hi Tom, great to see you again! Im glad you love it! :)

Actually I have no wip stages of the big ship. I will post some after submitting the final image. I almost made it on thursday evening till posting at ca. 3 am. fortunatley i had a good workflow at this day but then I forget everything around (e.g.>saving wip-stages :D). Days before I got around detailing it cause I was not quite sure how the look of the frontpart should exactly look like.

thanks for encouragement:thumbsup:

Fahrija

Fahrija
01-15-2005, 10:03 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105826623_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4168/4168_1105826623_large.jpg)

I tried to give the background more action. Maybe I have to place one of those big ships nearby.

I also tried to paint a crushing ship into the water below but I think I have to erase it because the attack in the foreground just started.

Theres a lot finetuning to do but Im a
bit exhausted, buddies.

http://www.studioambrozus.de/cgtalk/wip09d.jpg

cgkrusty
01-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Looking great! I love the BG building under attack... subtle but perfectly captured as is the fighter crash into the water.

...getting a real sense of the drama of the moment now... excellent!