PDA

View Full Version : Gainward 6800 GT Maya OpenGL performance same as Gainward Ti4600?

nuke
10-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi

I just "upgraded" from old Gainward GeForce Ti4600 to brand new Gainward GeForce 6800 GT and I was pretty shocked to see that Maya's OpenGL performance didn't improve at all!? Frame rate in shaded mode shows 6-7 fps on BOTH cards. Scene contains approximately 500 000 tris and 250 000 faces. I was expecting something like 2-4x better frame rates.

So far I have only tested the newest nvidia driver 6.1.7.7. Doom 3 flies like a jet plane now when compared to Ti4600, but in Maya there is no improvement?? I know Alias doesn't officially support GeForce cards, but ... come on!

Anyone else having the same experience in Maya? What nvidia drivers you are using? Do I really need to change this card to one of the Quadro series to be able to get decent frame rates in Maya?

Regards,

imashination
10-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Whats your CPU?

Vertizor
10-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Is it possible that you have to tell Maya to use OpenGL in the viewports instead of software render? I guess that's what imashination was hinting at. If there's no change in FPS in the viewport, and you didn't change your CPU, good sign that Maya is using your CPU instead of your video card to render the viewports.

I know Cinema 4D does that, at least in version 7 in defaults to software render and I have to manually set it to OpenGL.

Thorlyn
10-19-2004, 05:57 PM
With a project with that much geometry your probably limited by cpu, not your video card. If you are running at less than 10 fps with a project that dosnt have huge textures, you can bet its your CPU that is limiting factor. For the most part, once you get to less than 5 fps all video cards perform about the same. A geforce2 or a quadroFX 4000, thier about that same.

The exception is when you are displaying more than 100mbs of textures, then it really does matter.

nuke
10-19-2004, 06:18 PM
I have Athlon XP 2100+ (1.74 GHz) (tomorrow 3000+) and a friend of mine has P4 3.2 GHz overclocked to 3.52 GHz. And guess what, he got -1 fps (!?) compared to Ti4600.

Maya uses OpenGL in viewports, hypershade etc for sure.

Regards,

nuke
10-19-2004, 06:25 PM
If there's no change in FPS in the viewport, and you didn't change your CPU, good sign that Maya is using your CPU instead of your video card to render the viewports. A friend of mine had P4 2.4 GHz and now he has P4 3.52 GHz so frame rate could not possibly drop by -1 fps :/

Regards,

Vertizor
10-20-2004, 03:06 AM
Actually when your content is very high on vertices or texture data, the AGP bus would be choking long before the CPU. If your system is setup with 4x AGP, and you put a better video card in (still leaving it on 4x AGP) it's like buying a Ferrari just to do laps up and down your drive way.

nuke
10-20-2004, 07:22 AM
Actually when your content is very high on vertices or texture data, the AGP bus would be choking long before the CPU. If your system is setup with 4x AGP, and you put a better video card in (still leaving it on 4x AGP) it's like buying a Ferrari just to do laps up and down your drive way. My mobo (Asus A7N8X Deluxe) supports 8x AGP and it's enabled.

Regards,

imashination
10-20-2004, 09:50 AM
I have Athlon XP 2100+ (1.74 GHz) (tomorrow 3000+)

This should fix it, your speed is very likely to be CPU- limited. If its still slow tomorrow, you have a problem, or some wrong settings.

orre
10-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Hello there mr.Nuke! Well I guess it is mr...

I have a Gainward 6800 GT aswell, but I havent ran into any problems with low framerates. But ofcourse, I havent tried with any scenes containing that amount of polys.

Anyway I have another problem with my card. In the graph editor I can only see the time indicator occasionally. When dragging the timeline it disapears and only shows at random frames.

I know that the line should be red and when I ran maya on my old Geforce2 at least the time indicator was a clearly visible and stable dark line. Now its just really hard to see, even when it is visible.

Do you have the same problem?

Oskar

MaDSheeP
10-20-2004, 11:22 AM
oh how I hate that problem,

in the themes tab of the desktop settings, enable classical interface, for some reason maya hates the fluffy themes from XP

nuke
10-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Hello there mr.Nuke! Well I guess it is mr...

I have a Gainward 6800 GT aswell, but I havent ran into any problems with low framerates. But ofcourse, I havent tried with any scenes containing that amount of polys.

Anyway I have another problem with my card. In the graph editor I can only see the time indicator occasionally. When dragging the timeline it disapears and only shows at random frames.

I know that the line should be red and when I ran maya on my old Geforce2 at least the time indicator was a clearly visible and stable dark line. Now its just really hard to see, even when it is visible.

Do you have the same problem?

Oskar I don't have that kind of problem at all. I also use a visual style theme (simplistic, not graphic intensive style) in my win xp. So far it has not caused any problems for me.

Regards,

Mr. Nuke :)

junlin
10-22-2004, 05:52 AM
To Nuke & OskarI also got my Gainward 6800 GT.
But I found a bug when doing playbast in Maya,it wouldn't run correctly.(Almost Hang up...try few more time,you'll find it!)
Interesting thing is that it only happens in WinXP not in Win2000.
Win2000 works pretty well.

Do you have this problem ?
By the way I don't have Oskar's problem.

Thanks

Junlin

orre
10-25-2004, 08:03 AM
Hi Junlin! I think I had that problem a few weeks ago. But its not related to the gfx card. Make sure that you are running Windows XP with Classic theme. Seems to be some major conflict between XP's ugly default interface and Maya.
Thank you for the tip Madsheep! But I'm already using the classic theme. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Nuke: What theme are you using?

Regards

nuke
10-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Nuke: What theme are you using? I have used over a year now a theme called ChosenK from StudioTwentyEight (http://www.studiotwentyeight.com/)

There are some other nice themes as well to decorate your Win XP:

http://www.studiotwentyeight.com/vstyles.htm

Sometimes I switch to Mac OS X theme and daydream the day when I can finally switch to Apple :)

Regards

Caypiranha
10-26-2004, 03:36 AM
i guess, that its because of "gamingboards" were using... My GF MX440 in comparison with my new GF 6800 ist somthing called double... thats quiet poor as well, if you compare the Technical possebilities of those which must be the 10 -20 times of speed. Yeah, I agree, Doom III is "running like hell" but its a Game!!

Im interested what performance/power stands behind a Quadro 4000 or one of these new Wildcats, wich Benchmarkings seems to kick of all!

junlin
10-27-2004, 08:17 AM
Hi Junlin! I think I had that problem a few weeks ago. But its not related to the gfx card. Make sure that you are running Windows XP with Classic theme. Seems to be some major conflict between XP's ugly default interface and Maya.
Thank you for the tip Madsheep! But I'm already using the classic theme. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Nuke: What theme are you using?

Regards

To orre:
Thank for your experience. But it seems that classic themes doesn't work for me,hang up again and again...Maybe I'll give it up using WinXP...Try to use Win2000....
But I really don't want to do this..coz the newest RenderMan which integrate in Maya User Interface only support WinXP..... I
One More question...Can 6800 be softmoded to FX4000 possible?(I've ever seen someone's picture like.)

GregHess
10-27-2004, 12:21 PM
A long long long time ago, when the Geforce 3's had just come out, someone posted that the card seemed "slower" then his older geforce 2. Everyone attacked the guy saying it was impossible, and he sulked off to go do some art.

Well it turned out that the older Geforce2 card's, though unable to handle alot of "mpixel" throughput, had far superior polygon throughput then the 3's did. So in CG apps at least, the geforce 2 ultra was faster then pretty much every card in the gf3 lineup. (in terms of raw polygon throughput)

http://www2.3dluvr.com/15/10/S15A10FIL28.jpg
http://www.3dluvr.com/content/article/10/9
Here's a really old review graph I did in the Quadro DCC review that shows this. (Remember thats a GTS Geforce2...not even a Geforce2 ti or Geforce 2 Ultra)

This behavior only showed up when objects were generally just raw polygons in the viewport, untextured, and unlit...without any fancy viewport settings.

Whats my point? You could be seeing a similar occurance with the newer cards. Remember that the Geforce's are primarily gaming cards first, DCC second. Their whole design advances revolve around pushing as many texels,pixels as possible...not necessarily the most raw polygons. PR always likes to throw around all these giant numbers...which usually have absolutely nothing to do with the actual performance in DCC apps.

I'd dig up some polygon specs, but I don't really feel like it right now, maybe later :).

If you look on tech-reports Geforce 6 series roundup...
http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2004q3/geforce6800-comparo/index.x?pg=1

You'll note pretty much everything in that little nifty chart has nothing to do with DCC performance. Maybe its an efficency issue. You know, kinda of like new car's vs old ones. Everyone keeps piling on the horsepower...and then adds more weight to the car, making most of the available cars on the market bloated and giant land yahts. Sure they might be faster in a straight line then the older models...but they turn like a beached whale.

Then of course this whole post could be pointless, (and just be a system problem) and I've just not had enough coffee this morning.

orre
10-27-2004, 04:04 PM
Junlin:

I was looking for the softQuadro driver, but it seems like an old fix. I dont know if there is something like this for the 6800 cards.

Maybe 6800 was the wrong card to pick. But hey! its great in games!

regards

junlin
10-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Junlin:

I was looking for the softQuadro driver, but it seems like an old fix. I dont know if there is something like this for the 6800 cards.

Maybe 6800 was the wrong card to pick. But hey! its great in games!

regards
orre

That was the bad news...

Wrong card....I really do not hope so...

Thanks anyway !

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.