PDA

View Full Version : ... any Houdini user entering the Challenge ?

EvilE
10-19-2004, 04:10 PM
I already did ( first time doing a bigger scene with Houdini coming from Lightwave ) so be prepared for a lot of technial questions from me here and over at OdForce :)

Sven

orvski
10-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Way to go! I just started Houdini yesterday coming from a Maya background so.. Maybe for the fun of it I should join as well and use it to learn Houdini and spawn alot of questions like yourself hehe

saguaro
10-20-2004, 06:48 PM
Way to go! I just started Houdini yesterday coming from a Maya background so.. Maybe for the fun of it I should join as well and use it to learn Houdini and spawn alot of questions like yourself hehe

Well, well... :) I see I'm not alone among those coming from Maya to Houdini. Thus I'll add some "spam" in this thread too. ;) Houdini looks rather impressive after some studying.. It's a pity that there is not much info/tutorials about it. We'll see..

orvski
10-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Yeah, although were lucky enough to find the odforce forum and vislab houdini tutorials =) Gotta do alot of experimenting on our own.

EvilE
10-20-2004, 08:29 PM
It's a pity that there is not much info/tutorials about it. We'll see..
Once u learned the real basic stuff all u need is to get a feeling how to solve problems with connecting nodes . The only thing that was a bit hard for me was creating my shaders at that very low-level .

Sven

saguaro
10-21-2004, 09:20 AM
The only thing that was a bit hard for me was creating my shaders at that very low-level .

I havn't tried creating shaders yet (messing with modelling at the moment) but I dare to suppose it should be somewhat similiar to Maya's way in Hypershade where you also deal with nodes. If I'm wrong, please, somebody correct me.

vrljc
10-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Houdini is a great package; however its modeling does have some weaknesses (organic modeling), but of course there is some cool stuff in SOPs (creep SOP is too cool). But if you want to save some time on the modeling end of things, do all of your modeling in maya, export it out as a .obj and import it into Houdini using the file SOP. I have been doing this for the past year and it has really saved me a lot of time on the modeling end of things. Gives you more time to dive into particles on those big projects!

-jon

EvilE
10-21-2004, 05:47 PM
I havn't tried creating shaders yet (messing with modelling at the moment) but I dare to suppose it should be somewhat similiar to Maya's way in Hypershade where you also deal with nodes. If I'm wrong, please, somebody correct me.
Its looks a bit like Hypershade but the nodes are on a much lower level then in Maya and because of that its harder to get started . Its more like creating shaders for Renderman

Sven

saguaro
10-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Houdini is a great package; however its modeling does have some weaknesses (organic modeling)

Could you describe this in more detail, please? Organic modelling is what I'm interested most of all. I know in Houdini one can do everything that can be done in other 3D software, but I still didn't find any sufficient use of Houdini's proceduralism in modelling organic shapes (first of all character modelling I mean). The net of nodes consisting of polysplit and edit SOPs doesn't seem to be somewhat useful.

But if you want to save some time on the modeling end of things, do all of your modeling in maya, export it out as a .obj and import it into Houdini using the file SOP.
I have been doing this for the past year and it has really saved me a lot of time on the modeling end of things. Gives you more time to dive into particles on those big projects!

I suppose that modelling in Houdini is slower at the initial steps and requires more planning and the process is less intuitive. But it can save time later on, when you make adjustments, changes to your model. Again, I don't know how it can be related to organic models.. Your ideas? :hmm:

:applause:

orvski
10-22-2004, 11:43 AM
I suppose that modelling in Houdini is slower at the initial steps and requires more planning and the process is less intuitive. But it can save time later on, when you make adjustments, changes to your model. Again, I don't know how it can be related to organic models.. Your ideas?

You just contradicted yourself right there by saying that Houdini requires more planning and then saying that you can save time later on when you make adjustments.

Bottom line is, Houdini is a procedural program and because of that nature, you can go ahead and jump right into modeling without planning (although thats kinda like a savage way of doing things hehe) and then if you decided you wanted to change something or add something to a certain state of your model wayy before where you are now, you can do so if you wanted to.

The reason organic modeling is so hard for some people who try Houdini is because they are soo used to the linear approach of most programs. Once you learn to adapt to HOudini's ways and embrace its methods, i'm sure you will be as proficient and comfortable with Houdini like your other app that youre used to.

MatrixNAN
10-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Hey Guys,

Yes he is not kidding about houdini having a lower level shader developemnt. Maya is a higher level shading system and does not begin to have the control that houdini has. Houdini's shading system is almost identical to Renderman. So with that said yes its quite a bit harder than maya's shading system. The control is wonderful though and the amount of stuff you can do is really cool. Houdini's shading system is very strong but has a very high learning curve. The suggested way to learn houdini's shading system is to read Renderman Programming books.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

MatrixNAN
10-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Hey Guys,

Houdini can take more planning for people adjusting to the procedural approach or depending on how far they are wanting to take it like making an auto modeler through the graphical network requires more planning but you can easily make adjustments to it by moving some sliders here or there that are connected somewhere in the network and control the flow of the network. But yeah the procedural system you can just jump right in and start modeling and then use the procedural system to save your butt whenever you need it too. Its very useful in that regard, and I use houdini in both ways from auto modelers to save my butt. lol I was a Maya user that got frustrated with the amount of programming I was having to do to solve my solutions for my animations so I tried houdini and it addressed all the problems that I was really bothered with. Oh by the way the booleans work in houdini its called a cookie. lol I think there are alot of tutorials for houdini I have about 6 gigs of learning videos that I downloaded free for houdini. Not to even mention the learning pdf tutorials. I am not going to enter into the new contest I have too much on my plate right now.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

darktding
10-30-2004, 11:15 PM
hey matrixNan,
I am taking part.... I have already done some work on the roller coaster....
I sooo need help man..... we can colaborate if you are willing... I have school, work and this competiton so its becoming a burden....
heres the thread Darktding Roller Coaster (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=180309)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.