PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Adam Benton

kromekat
10-19-2004, 09:10 AM
Adam Benton has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

jddog
10-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Hello Mr Benton :D
good luck man !

jdd

kromekat
10-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks Mr Daulte! - you too!

..now...must...decide...on...the ...idea!!

Peter C.
10-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Great to see you join Adam! Knowing how fond you are on this subject, I'll keenly be following your progress :thumbsup:

Best of luck!!!

kromekat
10-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Cheers Peter! - I am currently overwhelmed by the options so it might be a little while before I can get a concept out lol!

Looking forward to seeing your progress too! :D

Cartesius
10-19-2004, 11:56 AM
I knew you couldn't resist this one, Adam - best of luck, mate! :thumbsup:

/Anders

kromekat
10-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Thanks Anders! - yeah, it's right up my street :)

3doid
10-19-2004, 12:02 PM
i dont know u but its always good to make new firends...good luck dude....

jddog
10-19-2004, 12:07 PM
I knew you couldn't resist this one
hehe

jdd

kromekat
10-19-2004, 12:19 PM
i dont know u but its always good to make new firends...good luck dude....

Cheers and you!

kromekat
10-20-2004, 12:14 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098274475_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098274475_large.jpg)

I have several ideas knocking about in my head at the minute, but a strong theme is that of a civilisation fleeing their planet (for whatever reason) and boarding a vast \'ark\' like ship - although outside the atmosphere, the ark would be so vast that it is clearly visible from the planet. So here I am trying to convey that scale/distance and depicting the multitudes of ships escaping to join it! If I go with this, I will need some foreground elements and the scope of the landscape/city will need to be made vast also.

kromekat
10-20-2004, 12:17 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098274657_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098274657_large.jpg)

Or, on the other hand, maybe it's an invasion, the planet is burning, and the defences are all trying to make some impact against a mighty foe!?

hmmm...

oshiroii
10-20-2004, 12:28 PM
Thhe second one could be a really spectacular image. The huge aircraft look really sweet. If you detail it like an insane and make some good city destruction models and special fx it will look soooo awsome :thumbsup: Nice work on the colors, but maybe the sky should be darker, since it's an evil invasion :shrug:

jddog
10-20-2004, 12:41 PM
I looove the firt one...It's look like a afternoon/evening scene...
jdd

kromekat
10-20-2004, 01:35 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098279319_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098279319_large.jpg)

Another concept - a cylindrical mothership containing a number of 'arks' arrives at a new world - I want to achieve a sense of scale with huge crowds of people boarding the arks, as other laoded ships leave the mother vessel. Possibly need a foreground balcony with other beings looking on.

Cartesius
10-20-2004, 02:01 PM
The first or the last one! They both have potential and personally I would go with the last concept :)

/Anders

jddog
10-20-2004, 02:04 PM
the secon looks tremndously epic... can become a great scene... people fightig ?
hey Krome took out you pen :D lol

jdd

miketche
10-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Good to see you here Adam. Attaching myself to your thread. Love the concept work! :thumbsup:

kromekat
10-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Hey guys - thanks for the feedback! - not sure which way to go yet, and I still have a couple of other ideas to flash out before I decide. I 'think' I want to stay away from a space battle, but an invasion/defence from a city viewpoint could be cool!

Julien - I used a wacom pen in both of these! ;) lol! - personally, I prefer to block out scene concepts using simple 3D elements - it's a lot quicker and lets face it, easier than messing about with perspective drawings. I'll probably revert to more 'analog' (pencil and paper) methods when I come to design the ships etc! :)

Cheers Mike! - you got a thread going?

EDIT: just realised you have from your sig - off to look!! ...

percydaman
10-20-2004, 03:29 PM
love the first one!

ARSA
10-20-2004, 03:54 PM
They both have good chances! personaly Ill go with a combination of both... try it :D

How you can see the attack through the opened gate of a mothership. example you have the mothership on top the ship comming out of mothership and being attacked at the same time :)

What you think :D

kromekat
10-20-2004, 05:31 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098293476_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098293476_large.jpg)

Just trying out some alternatives along the lines of the second set of concepts...

oshiroii
10-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Taht looks really cool. You could make a platform in front of the camere, so we have a clear view of the people. That could add quite some emotion I think

flyingP
10-20-2004, 06:45 PM
real nice start Adam :thumbsup:

oh and of those last 3 I'd say the second gets my vote

FortUno
10-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Wow, these concepts are amazing! I think I also like the 2nd image of the last three the best. I also like the volumetric lights on the third image though..:thumbsup:

kromekat
10-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Hey thanks people! - I think I am going to run with this, but I want to get the sense of scale way up from what it is now - more playing to come before I get down to the serious stuff (modeling) :D

jddog
10-21-2004, 06:35 AM
wow your last 2 images are really interesting... very promising... congrats Kromekat !
jdd

Cartesius
10-21-2004, 10:46 AM
Your last concepts are really interesting and you might be on to something here. A grander scale would be cool :)

/Anders

JamesMK
10-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Yep, those last ones for 'the arrival' (which also could simply be turned into 'the departure' if you're so inclined) seem very promising. Keep grinding those polys :wip:

superlayer
10-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Awesome sketches...
:eek:

Can u point me to a place where I can learn how to color like that?

I would be in your debt.

joshcxa
10-21-2004, 12:35 PM
all your concepts look great. your latest kinda has a matrix feel to it for some reason

good luck

kromekat
10-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Yet more thanks guys! :)

I have decided to really up the scale now!! - I had been toying with the space colony/cylinder habitat as another option (always has been a favourite theme in sc--fi for me!) and since I like the idea of the cylinder motership, the ideas will merge and this is going to become a travelling colony (with landscape!) arriving at it's destination world after a journey of centuries! :D

superlayer - thanks! - I am not sure what you mean when you say 'color like that' !?
These are 3D sketches - quickly modeled forms (in Cinema 4D) that I have used a tiled texture map on, and a couple of coloured lights to help decide on feel and tonal composition. I don't know if that clarifies any!?

flyingP
10-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Yet more thanks guys! :)

I have decided to really up the scale now!! - I had been toying with the space colony/cylinder habitat as another option (always has been a favourite theme in sc--fi for me!) and since I like the idea of the cylinder motership, the ideas will merge and this is going to become a travelling colony (with landscape!) arriving at it's destination world after a journey of centuries! :D

Rama ?? (and now a space filler :hmm: )

kromekat
10-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Rama ?? (and now a space filler :hmm: )

? - don't like that idea? - sure, there was Rama, Eon, the guild ships in Dune, that strange cylinder in Star Trek : The Voyage Home; and then in science fact, there have been many concepts for space colonies based in cylinders, so it's not wholely original (is that possible?) but I am not trying to recreate any of these - I simply want to make the scale of the cylinder more vast, and if we are to assume that beings have inhabited this place for any amount of time (other than in cryosleep) then it's fair to assume they'd want/need a habitat to exist in, and to maintain them and other species on the trip!? - this could truly be an ark in the biblical sense, but lets face it, to carry that many species, it would need to be huge!

Anybody have any thoughts to help out here?

JamesMK
10-21-2004, 01:19 PM
The ark theme is of course common in Sci-fi as well as other genres. I wouldn't see it as a problem here, rather an archetypical source of inspiration - - - hell, even Douglas Adams had a great interpretation of the whole ark thing in HHGTTG... Just make it your own civilisation and exodus, and you'll be fine.

Cartesius
10-21-2004, 01:54 PM
I don't think the cylinder will be a problem as it's a quite natural shape for life in space (like the earth cut in half and seen from an isometric view). It can hold gravity as well as allow for various habitats along its surface. It has been done before, of course, but frankly I have yet to see a truly original vision of a sci-fi scene or construction, with the Borg cube as an exception (there's no friction in space, yet we insist on constructing spaceships with very areodynamical shapes).

/Anders

kromekat
10-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Yeah I think it's workable - at the end of the day, it's a concept that has been discussed and described in literature a few times, but I have yet to see it illustrated convincingly, apart from a few great paintings from the NASA concepts, which I 'think' Syd Mead himself may have done some of at some point?!?
I am not sure that I will pull it off, but it's a challenge afterall, and if I don't, I can always take a step back to this smaller concept! :)

I agree about the aerodynamics too Anders!

Teapot-7
10-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Between the concept sketches of the giant spaceship overhead and the interior of the spaceship with the crowds of people - *definitely* go with the second. It's much more distinctive and has more of a sense of wonder. The image of the ship overhead has the same potential in the abstract, but I think it's a concept that's been used often enough to desensitize people.

The crowds of people remind me of one of my favourite SF artists, John Harris. There's very little of his work available on the web, but here's one link in case you don't know him:

http://images.budplant.com/products/full/4625.jpg (hhttp://images.budplant.com/products/full/4625.jpg)

Peter C.
10-26-2004, 09:00 AM
I'll second Teapot-7's suggestion. The concept is good and with a great environment (cityscape) in the foreground and a HUGE ship with massive details overhead (also slightly in the haze due to the viewing distance) it would become epic.

kromekat
10-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys - although you are talking at cross purposes! :D - ARGHH! - which one!?

Teapot-7 - I agree - this IS the direction I am going in, but with additional scale and an extension of plot and a foreground character of which I will post my modeling progress later...

Basically - A non [deep] space fairing civilisation (not unlike our own) has been rescued from their dying world by a higher intelligence; a race of (familiar in our folklore) ancient beings who can travel at speeds beyond light. These beings have intervened, nurtured, and witnessed the events of many civilisations over many tens of thousands of years, indeed, they may even have seeded many of them. Despite their technology and speed, it would still take many years to reach inhabitable planets, and suitable habitats would naturally be constructed for the duration of the trip to transport the civilisations, their crops, plants and other species from their world.

In the scene I am going to portray (based on the existing concept), the rescued civilisation will either be arriving at their new home world, or boarding the vast 'ark' mothershp on the beginning of their long trip. The world in either case will be seen through the open end of the cylinder.

I just cant quite decide which plot to take - it doesn't effect the image too much other than whether the planet looks like it's in decay. or a healthy virgin globe! :)

If there is time, and I am aloud to do both !?!? - I will also have a go at the orbiting ship and city :)

JamesMK
10-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Hmm... each one of those ideas require heaps of work, so I wouldn't try to do both... They both have great potential as well - so, well, good luck making your mind up :D Did anybody mention that the clock is ticking? :scream:

MasterZap
10-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Hey Adam!

Don't we have a certain movie to finish first? :)

/Z

kromekat
10-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Hmm... each one of those ideas require heaps of work, so I wouldn't try to do both... They both have great potential as well - so, well, good luck making your mind up :D Did anybody mention that the clock is ticking? :scream:

Thanks James - well I know, I always start out ambitious, and then have to scale it down! :D - I am going with my last concept! :)

Hey Adam!

Don't we have a certain movie to finish first?

/Z

Oh no - I have been Zapped - what a world..what a world... I'm melting....

Zap! - Yes.. We do have a film to finish, and I have a couple of shots to get done this month... I am going back to the castle now master... ;)

MasterZap
10-26-2004, 02:40 PM
And the whip goes KRAK!

...actually...

...I was pondering entering myself, but I suck at modelling in 3d (i'm the rendering guy, not the modelling guy) and my computer painting techniques...well... can we enter using watercolor? Then no problem. :)

/Z

kromekat
10-26-2004, 06:07 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098814063_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098814063_large.jpg)

I started messing with this form a week or so ago, and have decided to incorporate the character into my latest concept (see previous post description!)
I have been refining and getting the modeling closer to the final form over the last few days.
Here are some elevation views.

kromekat
10-26-2004, 06:11 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098814305_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098814305_large.jpg)

A perspective screen render of the model thus far - not much more to do in the polys now really I think - just need to bone it and map it. I don't know whether to keep the form smooth and simple or to add some sub poly displaced skin and wrinkles.

kromekat
10-27-2004, 11:28 PM
Hmm - no one like this addition/direction then?, or just think it's a crap model? :rolleyes:

JamesMK
10-28-2004, 12:03 AM
Well, since you ask - there's nothing wrong with the modeling here... maybe the legs stand out as lacking details compared to the head and upper torso... but mainly I would say that the overall design as such isn't frightfully interesting. Basically a rather standard alien pretty close to the so called 'grey' type.

*ahem* in conclusion - IMHO, I don't feel it :D Can't speak for anyone else of course :)

Peter C.
10-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Adam, sorry for not replying sooner, just got the e-mail. Been greebling ever since I came home from work :arteest: , dead tierd now.

Alien looks wondeful. Only suggestion would be the waist area. I don't know what, but perhaps making it a little wider. What are your texturing plans? Displacement for details?

kromekat
10-28-2004, 12:25 AM
Well, since you ask - there's nothing wrong with the modeling here... maybe the legs stand out as lacking details compared to the head and upper torso... but mainly I would say that the overall design as such isn't frightfully interesting. Basically a rather standard alien pretty close to the so called 'grey' type.

*ahem* in conclusion - IMHO, I don't feel it :D Can't speak for anyone else of course :)

:) - thanks for your honesty James! - Yeah - I probably need more detail in the lower body really. It is meant to be a 'grey' type alien - I felt it made my concept more interesting - the premise that they have been around many civilisations for years and have been not only the seed of many a myth, but maybe even the seed of the races themselves! - maybe it's a less profound idea now, or just made unbearable and overdone with the likes of the X-Files!? - lol :)

Here (next post) was a quick paste up of the character close up in the foreground with basic bones (baaaad deformations at the moment!) over the previous sketch - the grey is gesturing to the character (you as the viewer) that this is your new world, take care of it! ;)

hmmm - maybe I don't feel it either:banghead: ... I think I'll just get on with the environment and ship modeling for now.

kromekat
10-28-2004, 12:28 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098923321_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1098923321_large.jpg)

Sketch with added, roughly posed character - probably abandoned this, but posted for thread clarity.

sad
10-28-2004, 12:32 AM
wow, your scene development is interesting! id get rid of the visible lightbeams, though.

ODoul
10-28-2004, 03:02 AM
Adam, you sly dog you, how dare you not announce your participation in this competition. Just stumbled across your thread. Subscribed. BTW, I think all is going well. Not much more to add than what's already been said. I agree with James about the alien, pretty standard sci-fi fare there, but very well done none the less.

flyingP
10-28-2004, 05:44 AM
Sorry Adam, sort of feel the same way as James, although I appreciate where you're trying to go with the concept the figure is just a bit too clich for me too, the rest of the scene I still find as good as I did before, although I agree with sad about those visible lights too. :)

RobertJ
10-28-2004, 05:49 AM
Good solid working, but somehow it reminds my of ID4, the scenes where Smith and Goldblum enter the alien mothership, it also featured a tunnellike construction with an more open area behind, and several ships preparing to depart and what looked like millions of aliens preparing to invade and slaughter us poor humans.

I know it is not the case and the idea behind it is actually a good one. But you might get the impression.

jddog
10-28-2004, 06:21 AM
Adam... sorry from my last post in your thred I didn't recieve any mail... so I discovered today that you are far away with your work.

Well... Alien model like how is is I like it really, wonderful modelling, but to be honest I found that the alien design style is not really compatible with the rest of the scene. The alien looks like a 40's model and your scene is look like a tipical 70's/80's style... Hope that with my english waht I mean is possible to understand.

In your last compositions I found great the figure in first plan and the space developping on the background. The pose of the actual alien is relly great and I love it really just I askin' my self how it will be with a futuristic soldier or another figure style...

This some impressions... :thumbsup: jdd

3D-DuTchman
10-28-2004, 07:58 AM
i like the scene very mutch especially (is that correct english ?? :shrug: )
the scale and huge crowds gives it a eppic feeling it think.

but sadly i have to agree with the rest of the reactions on the alien, it looks a bit standard
:sad: like i have seen it before
although don't get me wrong i wish i could 3D model like that :thumbsup:

but keep it going like your ideas :buttrock:

Archetype
10-28-2004, 08:08 AM
i think if u redo the alien ull end up witch quite a nice scene

Cartesius
10-28-2004, 08:13 AM
I agree about the alien being a very standard Roswell alien so you might wanna rethink that concept (if you decide to have any aliens at all in the scene - it looks like you want it to be dominated by technology/structures anyway so maybe they aren't even necessary?).

I also agree about the visible light. They way it is now it gives the impression of some sort of natural light (daylight, perhaps) streaming through cracks or openings, which in turn indicates that the "ceiling" or hull of the construction is very, very thin. It clashes a bit with the rest of the scene. I like the idea of the light beams, just not their origins.

How about some smaller vessels hovering in the air above the crowd and the light coming from them? The constructure is certainly big enough to hold them! :)

/Anders

JamesMK
10-28-2004, 08:40 AM
The overall scene and concept is still great and has huge potential - so don't let this alien thing stop you from developing everything else, dude! On your bike and get busy :wip:

Doublecrash
10-28-2004, 09:09 AM
So nice to see you in this one! I'll follow the progress.

As for what I saw so far, your idea and first images are really cool. The exodus idea was good too, but this one is the better, so IMO you're right in going with that.

About the alien, I join the chorus: it's something "already seen". So far, it's the only thing I didn't like in your thread.

Good luck, I'll be here often.:thumbsup:

Stefano

Peter C.
10-28-2004, 09:16 AM
I really like your last concepept with the alien, and perhaps you are on to something. There is of course an issue with the typical iconic alien design, but the again, a space view of a planet is just as iconic and typical. If it is well done and not the centerpiece of the scene, it can still be a great compliment. I think we all in some way or the other, are expanding on existing sci-fi elements from movies, series, animations and artwork (where else did we get our ideas as none of us have been in space nor encountered any aliens :D ). Just as long as the the final result reflects your own visual style, I myself have no problem with it.

kromekat
10-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Wow! - thanks so much for all the great feedback! - really helpful!!

Your points have helped me confirm something that was niggling me with the Alien design - it has merit, I can still make use of it, but it ISN'T right for this ultimately. I still may use the idea of a foreground character(s) to give a closer narrative to the concept, but they will need to look less X-Files!

I am flitting in and out of this (and will continue to do so), but I think I will concentrate on the ships and the cylinder, since I have big plans for them alone.

Thanks guys! :beer:

Rochr
10-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Hey Adam. Its about time i pay this thread a visit. :)
Love the last concept, but if not the alien, what about a more human shaped creature?
Perhaps with a slightly frightened look on its face.

Im curious to see what youre going to make of it. And best of luck pal! :)

kromekat
10-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Hey Rudy!

I wondered when I'd see you start a thread in this - right up your street! :D

Yeah, either human or some other unique (if possible) kind of creature with humanoid form!

Off to check out your thread now - I am sure whatever you do will be totally awesome! :thumbsup:

erlik
10-29-2004, 10:07 AM
You can always create a ship for the foreground.

Or some kind of waldo.

That would go well with the fact that the ship is open to space. :)

Whatever it is, I have no doubt it will look good.

element5
10-29-2004, 10:24 AM
wonderful, cool 3D :thumbsup:

kromekat
10-31-2004, 12:35 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1099229753_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4078/4078_1099229753_large.jpg)

Started experimenting with how I am going to model the cylinder interior environment, which will be a combination of city, wild landscape, crop fields and water.

Cartesius
10-31-2004, 12:51 PM
This is way good! I think it will look extremely cool if you can pull this off - a large cylinder with various types of land- and cityscapes! The water following the curved surface will definitely plant the vision of an epic environment that defies gravity in the viwer's minds. :thumbsup: Are you modeling it all "flat", so to say, and then add a Bend/Wrap deformer or are you placing geometry on an already deformed plane?

/Anders

kromekat
10-31-2004, 02:52 PM
Cheers Anders! - yeah, I feel more confident since this experiment! :D

I started thinking that I would pull parts out of a cylinder and place elements inside it, on it's surface, but I quickly realised that that was very awkward. So now, I am modeling it all flat like any landscape, and then placing it inside a bend deformer.
The great thing is, that I can play with the scale and placement of elements with the deformers curvature, allowing me to build it up within the context of the finished tube! :)

JamesMK
10-31-2004, 03:59 PM
Aha, it's starting now, sort of! This will turn out very interesting indeed.

miketche
10-31-2004, 05:02 PM
Really like this so far. Maybe think more retro epic sci-fi book cover. With a heroic figure in the foreground overlooking the migration of his people. Don't know, just a thought. :D

Virtuoso
10-31-2004, 07:48 PM
Interesting overall concept..................I like your start on modeling.A unique design,one to make the viewer think as well as enjoy the eye candy..................I would concentrate most on your set piece/scene,the challenge theme seems to beg for this.Of course you can add as a extra your character,never a bad idea,but dp give him a more non-stereo-typical appearance than a roswell or X-file alien.........Modeling has begun,and I like the direction you are headed Adam,best of luck as you go on...................:arteest:

kromekat
10-31-2004, 11:55 PM
Thanks for your encouragement guys! :beer:

nataz
11-01-2004, 12:23 AM
Hi Kromekat,

first this is one of the best idea i found over this challenge yet, i love this Ark idea :applause: (full of meanings). And the concept scenes are great so far.

Secondly i would add something regarding the alien character; to me it's a little bit too "obvious", you may consider having a futuristic Noah leading people to his Ark. A kind of mix between the bible character and a space hero.

Anyway, just my two cents, but i think it would add some humanity and some heroic feeling to it, some dramatic tension. Because i think the "little grey" character has been so much already used (and usually not for the best) it does not fit in really well (IMO).
If your scene is showing the human race leaving home for a new hope it would be nice having a strong/powerfull/dramatic character leading the movement during this epic sequence, someone we could admire and follow despite the fears such a decision could inspire to anyone... i don't know if i am clear enough though.

Once again, great concept.
Keep up the good job, i'll wait for updates

Peter C.
11-01-2004, 09:15 AM
I agree with nataz here, your latest idea is one of the most unique I'v seen yet. Go with it!

soapy
11-03-2004, 06:11 AM
Hey great work Kromekat. The cylinder idea is a nice touch.

jddog
11-03-2004, 06:31 AM
The cilinder construction look very interesting :thumbsup: ... pay attention at terrains and numbers of polygons Adam... just in case...
jdd

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.