PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Gavin Goulden

GavinG
10-19-2004, 05:06 AM
Gavin Goulden has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

GavinG
10-19-2004, 05:16 AM
Hello boys and girls, this will be my first ever CG Talk competition. Going to take the night to sleep on this idea and try to get the ball rolling, I'm thinking big...and more than likely a focus on armies rather than spaceships....i think :P

Gav

GavinG
10-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Okay, so far this is what I've come up with (no sketches yet, only written ideas). Please bare with me,I'm not "really" a sci-fi minded preson...but i'm trying! Any comments are GREATLY appreciated.

Idea 1: "The Heroes of Valhalla"

A shot of a gateway, a massive evil army is attacking the fortress only a handful of heroes. The evil army (whom I haven't actually visualized yet) spans out to the horizon. Maybe have some exploding or burining structures in the background...

Idea 2: "The Last March"

An army is marching towards a giant structure in the middle of a valley, the structure would be a large metallic pillar...more than likely somewhat destroyed or creepy looking. Pretty simple, but hopefully create the atmosphere that this is the final battle of a huge war.

Idea 3: "Hiroshima 2"

I know, no one likes sequels...but it's the best title I could think of. Imagine a city street full of people as "planes" are flying overhead, dropping bombs on the city. The foreground would mostly be people running for their lives, in the background some explosions with hordes of bodies being tossed around. Obviously the most violent of the 3.

Again, any comments are greatly appreciated. Not sure if any of them are resembling real ife or already existing things...Thanks guys.

Gav

3doid
10-19-2004, 07:15 PM
hmmm ideas r well flowing... and i can c the gr8 image or a gr8 creation... but remember buddy, the main theme is Grand SPACE Opera .. so you should keep galactic troubles in ur head rahter then a planetory warfair or battle... keep those balls rolling :thumbsup:

GavinG
10-19-2004, 07:27 PM
Hey 3doid!

Thanks for the reply, man. Yeah, putting it into a spacey prosepective is definetly my biggest problem. In the contest description it does say that you can focus on a single character or legion, so I kind of want to move into that direction.

Obviously, depending on what idea i go with (it could even be one that i haven't thought of :D), I could add more space-like elements. The focus is going to be futuristic scenery and characters.

If this direction doesn't qualify for the contest,please..someone let me know! :P

Again, thanks for the reply.

Gav

Pufferfish
10-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Hi Gavin,

I agree with 3doid. You could add a bit more space stuff in your concept ideas.. should not be too hard either :)

Anyhow, if those 3 are the choices, I would have go with the 2nd. (last march)
The pilar sounds pretty sci-fi to me and allows you to create pretty massive stuff and stunning perspectives. Of course the overall scenery can be very spacy? ---( is that even a word? :)) too, not to mention the army. It can have all those hovering vessels etc.. etc..

I wish you good luck. Hopefully you come up with the great final idea.

-pfish

GavinG
10-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Thanks Puff, I really appreciate the kind words!

I agree with you, LM is probably my more favorite idea. I also like H2, but I dunno...it's not that "grand". Heroes is cool, but I think it's more suitable for fantasy rather than spacey (i'm sure that's a word! :D).

I like the idea because it's probably the one that is the biggest (to fit the iconic description) and also probably the easiest to add space-like elements (flying ships of death, the pillar structure, the soliders and the terrain [maybe some funky vegetation and other inhabitants?])

Again, thanks to both of you for responding. I look forward to reading more comments.

Cheers,
Gav

flyingP
10-19-2004, 08:16 PM
I like the idea because it's probably the one that is the biggest (to fit the iconic description) and also probably the easiest to add space-like elements

I'd agree with that, give it a go :)

GavinG
10-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Awesome, thanks FlyingP. I'll probably start sketching as soon as I get home from work (and attempt painting too! eeek!);)

Thanks for all your support guys!
Gav

GavinG
10-20-2004, 05:38 AM
Okay, Okay.

Here's the first step of my long journey :) Just roughing out how the scene will be setup, obviously not much work put into characters, scenery, props or veichles...that'll come soon, very soon!

A few things in my mind that isn't obvious in the image (and hey, maybe you can give me suggestions on this:)):

I'm trying to define the "leader" soldiers from the normal ones...so far, i'm thinking of having them mounted on some form of lizard, beast thingy. I'm going to try and mix organics with inorganics, a swmapy bee hive type mound with metalic and energy based components. I'd also like to elaborate on the environment...maybe have some weird looking plants, insects buzzing around or an odd coloured soil.

http://www.gavimage.com/space/lm_concept1.jpg
Thanks for all your comments, I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Gav

GavinG
10-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Hey hey,

Forgot to mention that I'll probaby put a planet or two in the sky. Hopefully, having an odd coloured planet will help the "spacey" look. Also, I'm trying to plan a way to have spacecraft without looking too uniform or cheesy. I might also add some transports in the marching army....i dunno.

Again, really looking forward to all your comments, questions or suggestions.

Gav

ARSA
10-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Make the energy color purple :) and give a big*** sword to the leader mounted in the creature lizard thingy :D

also a cape makes lots of difference :)

stevetwist
10-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Woah, that concept surely is epic. I can see it now, the swarms of people, all about to die - sweet.

I dunno about the colour of the energy thingy. I think you should chose a colour that fits with the rest of your scene, and the overall feel. So if you're going for a dark look, that blue is cool - but if the rest of the scene is brighter, then perhaps an orange, or even red... anyway, the choice is yours of course... and I understand that these drawings are only concepts.

Anyway, good luck, and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

GavinG
10-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Yo!

Purple, never really thought of that :twisted: I'll more than likely, I'll play with the colours.

The capes an awesome idea, I also thought about a warhammer type thing and give different symbols/logos to the soldiers for variety.

Thanks for the reply!
Gav

GavinG
10-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks steve!

Yeah, I was thinking that the scene will be dark and murky. I think the light blue would go well, maybe even green...I'll have to see though.

Thanks man!
Gav

ARSA
10-20-2004, 06:52 PM
I know, I know, what about having the leader holding a weapon made out of the same material found in the energy? :D

madshooter
10-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Concept is really cool. Whats the next step, I can't wait to see your modeling part.:thumbsup:

GavinG
10-20-2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys!

Having a weapon with the structures materail would conflict with the main idea, i think. I think an aspect of the "march" will be to destroy the structure and whatever it's made of. Like, this could be some kind of alien material that grows through the earth...destroying the planet as it gets bigger and bigger. It definetly would make him stand out though :)

I'm also anxiously waiting for my modeling to begin:love:

Thanks again for the support.
Gav

GavinG
10-21-2004, 03:46 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1098330378_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1098330378_large.jpg)

Some quick doodles for the rough shape of a general's battle mount.

GavinG
10-21-2004, 03:48 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1098330504_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1098330504_large.jpg)

A quick sketch for the soldiers marching towards the structure, would like to make them look battle weary rather than shiny and pretty.

GavinG
10-21-2004, 03:49 AM
Okie,

Got some quick drawings done...not sure which direction my soldiers are going..i'd like to go for a post apoc survivor/ battle weary warrior look. Rusty, scratched up armor with a futuristic flare.

Gav

Carlos_2k4
10-21-2004, 03:55 AM
I also see lots of potential.

The central item could have a lot of effects, like lighting and crystals,
refraction and stuff.

On the other hand I agree with a previous comment that the hero could have a sword?
Also he could maybe have a slightly more prominent placing in the composition.

Otherwise I like your sketching.

Cheers
-Carlos

GavinG
10-21-2004, 04:21 AM
Hey Carlos!

Thank you very much for the kind words. I'm not sure about the sword, but I can definetly reconsider composition. After having a chat with a few designer friends, an idea was also brought up about having the generals on some sort of seat carried by lower ranking soldiers or slaves. Any thoughts on that guys? I've also been toying witht he idea of having different types of soldiers..medics, soldiers playing horn instruments for battle (not your traditonal horn, but something far out there), banner carrying dudes and everyday, cannon fodder, foot soldier.

Comments are always welcome.
-Gav

ARSA
10-21-2004, 11:31 PM
That would be cool :D

Having the low rank soldiers carrying the leader, pretty sweet.

GavinG
10-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Thanks again ARSA!

The problem is going to be mixing those "primitive" ideas with a spacey look...but, then again, just because it's "space" doesn't mean it has to be high tech looking.

Gav

ARSA
10-22-2004, 02:31 AM
I'm with ya there man!

It can be some sort of "primitive- but at the same time evolved" Race. Like is so far away from our solar system, that we dont know them yet... :shrug:

I like the whole leader carrying thing :D

- cheers!

NOTE: what about create the whole concept mecha/organic :D ( like the weapons, armors, the look of the characters, etc)

GavinG
10-22-2004, 04:17 AM
Hey hey ARSA,

Yeah, originally, I was thinking of a Mad Max/Fallout type of deal. I'd like it to be a bit more original though..not so much "post apoc" but more towards "fighting to the death." An army of guys who's only purpose in life is to rid the universe of an evil, dominant race. Many of them with stiched up/quickly repaired armor, blood stains from previous battles...tired, battle weary posture...oh yeah:twisted:

Gav

stevetwist
10-22-2004, 06:53 AM
If you can get across the tired and battle weary idea through your figures I think this piece could totally rock, because it would really express emotion, and would probably have more of an impact than if they just seemed 'normal'.

I like the idea of the lower rank soldiers, as with most military there's a hierachy, so it would be a logical thing to have.

The concept sketches are cool, really define the geometry and volume well, I can't wait to see them begin to come to life through 3D.

GavinG
10-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks steve :)

Yeah, I don't "clean" would work well in this scene..for one the environment is going to be swampy and second of all I want to portray generations of war.

I do think the hierachy would make sense, and wouldn't be hard to pull off..

Again, thank you for your kind words :)

Looking forward to more comments or questions, hopefully will get some more time to sketch later tonight.

-Gav

ARSA
10-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Are you including females fighters?

GavinG
10-22-2004, 03:58 PM
I never really thought about that...probably just make them all guys. Yeah, i know, equal rights...whatever :D

Cheers,
Gav

ARSA
10-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Just to make things clear I'm not a female, with that said here I come:

These people are fighting WITH ALL THEY GOT, right? well that includes females, old folks and kids too... I think that will bring that sense of fighting for what you trully believe with all you got. Lets take for example Vietnam war, the vietnam kids were as dangerous as a grown adult. they killed people too, and the females, OMG! I have heard stories from my friends father about the females, and how they defend themselve agains rapist. I know this is not the case here, but when military troops got close to a village, equal man and females fought for what they believe, and freedom.

- cheers!

GavinG
10-22-2004, 04:08 PM
That is very true, and a very good point, but I was just going to go for the more "men go to war, women and children stay home." So, that could kind of fall in with what you said. The men could be out blasting away the enemy, while children and women (who appear defenseless) stay at home...and if an enemy gets close...they know how to fend for themselves.

Gav

ARSA
10-22-2004, 04:28 PM
at least I would like to see some interaction between, male, females, kids, old people, you know what I mean or where I'm going... right?

At least one female, that did not wanted to stay at home, you know, she wanted to battle along side her patner/lover/husban/brother/father/friend...

that adds passion to the scene, like if you have a female there, alongside the leader, or along side one of the important soldiers, like holding him, protecting him, while every man is for itself...

:D

GavinG
10-23-2004, 04:08 AM
I know what you maen and thanks for the input! But...I'd kind of just like it to be your stereotypical, war hardened army. Although, i could work in slave girls for the leader...no, that wouldn't go over too well :P

Gav

ARSA
10-23-2004, 11:49 AM
sure whatever works for you :D :thumbsup:

JorgeV
10-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Hey!
Good luck!
I liked your idea, it reminds me of the movie The Last Castle, their last victory was to put the flag in the pole! So why don't you give the leader a flag and they seem to be moving toward the middle thing, so that could suggest that!
Oh well it's a suggestion, but I thing you have an idea already!
Thanks for all your help by the way!
Jorge

GavinG
10-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Yo Jorge!

Thanks and no problem :)
Hopefully, there will be a sketch posted later on tonight...i'm trying to figure out exactly what I want. Maybe somekind of old school military gas mask helmet thingy (kind of like the cover for Fallout)...i dunno. Have some tubes connecting from the helmet to a respitory system on his chest or back...old rusty armor mixed with military apparel...we'll see ;)

Cheers,
Gav

GavinG
10-26-2004, 04:50 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1098766248_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1098766248_large.jpg)

Another sketch for the soldier, think i'm getting closer to what I want. Their skin will be all discoloured and gross. I'd like to show that they're suffering from a sickness, like the giant mound of material is causing a plague on thier planet...and that's why they're going to destroy it. Obviously, this guys sporting some snazzy thrown together armor and duds.

I'm happy to answer any questions and, as always, look forward to your comments.

Thanks,
Gav

stevetwist
10-26-2004, 07:53 AM
Nice sketch, he looks cool.

Covering the majority of the face is a good idea also, it makes it harder to tell if a lot of the characters in your scene are duplicates or not, because faces are normally the most individual characteristic of a person.

GavinG
10-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Cheers Steve,

Yeah, thats also another benefit to the "masks". I'll change up the backpacks/gear, also will have some guys that will have no caps...small differences to make the illusions of all different models. Thank you very much for your comment, I look forward to hearing more :)

Gav

ARSA
10-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Love your work! keep up the good work, :bounce: I don't have any comments so far.

GavinG
10-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks ARSA, I really appreciate your kind words :buttrock:

Gav

dur23
10-27-2004, 06:43 AM
Hmmmm.....are you done yet?

Nice sketches gav.

GavinG
10-27-2004, 07:09 AM
Well, if it isn't his Durness! Yeah sorry, I can't work at light speed on this project :rolleyes:
Thanks man.

-Gav

ARSA
10-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Well all Ihave to say is... Man come up with something, I kinda want to see evolve this idea/your concept...

Hope to see some more stuff soon :bounce:

- cheers!

GavinG
10-28-2004, 04:19 PM
Yo ARSA, thanks again dude!

I'll probably have an update tonight, going to start figuring out the structure...i don't think it'll be a far stretch from the initial idea, but I might as well play with the concept phase.

Gav

ARSA
10-28-2004, 04:23 PM
yeah, I mean we all (some of us actually) have to sacrify time to do this project, don't think you are the only once ^^...

I have to go to work, and I desided to come home, do watever I have to do, and then sacrify some of my sleeping time in the project, since I really like how is comming along :buttrock:

- cheers

GavinG
10-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Haha, yeah man..I forget what a good night's sleep is :P

Gav

ARSA
10-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Haha, yeah man..I forget what a good night's sleep is :P

Gav:eek: LOL! tell me about it, my eyes are already puffy (baggy eyes) actually they looks like somebody punched me in the face (but I dont care, cuz I really want to finish the scene)

teyekanik
10-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Hey, what's up? good concept here... I like the idea of the cautious discovery. ect. the only problem I might have is the perspective and the scale represented here... My suggestion is to lower the perpective a bit so the crashed object is above the horizon... also, make this thing HUGE.. it's new, it might be dangerous and it towers over the lower race that's happened upon it... the first concept you have is making it look small and inconcequential.. you know what I mean? I hope so.. good luck!

GavinG
10-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Hey teyekanik, thanks for the reply!

I totally know what you mean, man. I want to make the structure epic in itsely, i more or less ran out of paper space when sketching it out :P

The 3d version will have a much better prespective.

Gav

GavinG
10-29-2004, 03:03 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1099018986_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1099018986_large.jpg)

:)

GavinG
10-29-2004, 03:05 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1099019123_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1099019123_large.jpg)

Okay, got a few doodles done for the structure that the massive army will be marching towards, mor eor less the same thing...one has a little more roots ad random glowing "things"

Let me know what you think. As always, I appreciate all of your views and comments.

ARSA
10-29-2004, 04:21 PM
For the structure, give it a defence mechanism, some sort of organic weapon...

since you got roots going "up" you can also add some sort of plant growing "up" like the plant was growing around it and followed the roots upwards, "do that make sence???"

like "UP" ahhhhh!, I dont know how to explain it :shrug:

Well, great job man! and thanks for the sketches :D

- cheers and keep it up (two birds with one stone)

GavinG
10-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks ARSA! :bounce:

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. Maybe for the "weapon" I could add small spines..like a natural defense and also to make it look more evil :twisted: Still thinking of the colour. Re dis proably the standard "bad" colour, but I'm kind of partial to neon green or light blue...

Cheers, thanks for the response!

Gav

ARSA
10-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Black structure with red dots and a purple glow ?
purple = blackish "it gives a sence of darkness"

The red dots, can be interpreted as "eyes"

ARSA
10-29-2004, 04:50 PM
I forgot to say:

"and a fire like sky "

- cheers!

JorgeV
10-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Hey Gavin! Your sketch of the soldier looks really good! I like the idea of having some kind of respiratory system since they are in a different environment and moving towards a biological structure! I liked the idea, the structure looks interesting I can't wait to see it with color!
Good work!
Jorge

stevetwist
10-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Interesting structure thingy - looks cool.

The colours are tricky to chose - but at least when working on it, if the colours don't work you can change them. I think a bluey/purple would work best, because it would stand out, but not totally contrast the rest of the scene (IIRC from the concept).

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more development, and am interested to know what colour you'll pick, lol.

SuperXCM
11-03-2004, 06:01 PM
I really like the sketch... nice style also for the concept sketch.. it's very cool... :thumbsup:

I agree with the natural defense, it could be cool!!
Waiting for update, keep going!!:buttrock:

GavinG
11-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Hey hey hey! :buttrock:

I've started some 3d for the project and hope to have some early progress shots of the characters posted by tonight. Stay tuned!

Gav

GavinG
11-05-2004, 04:06 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1099631172_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1099631172_large.jpg)

Very small 3d progress, just wanted to let you all know i\'m still kickin\'

The only part of the face that won\'t be covered by rags is the eyes and bridge of the nose.

Comments are welcome!

Gav

ARSA
11-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Yo! nice face you got going on there :D

There isnt much I can say about it though... Looks good so far :d Keep up the good work :D

stevetwist
11-06-2004, 08:52 AM
A very economical way of working - good stuff. Great to see you're not modelling stuff you don't need to.

I look forward to seeing the progress.

teyekanik
11-06-2004, 01:39 PM
looks pretty good.. I like the eye detail and the intent expression... the cheek seems out way too far.. it should be an almost equal protrusion to that of the brow line. And I know the nose will be covered but right now it's a little small for the face. Unfortunately I know more about human anatomy and drawing correct proportions than I do about 3D so it's all I can critique :) good job..

GavinG
11-06-2004, 04:38 PM
ARSA: Thanks dude!

stevetwist: Thanks! I'll be modeling the rough outline of his jaw because i think it may be needed, I'm just not going to worry about a mouth and it's topology.

teyekanik: Awesome. Thank you for a very thoughtful critique. I'll definetly make those changes next time I work on this bad boy (should be tonight...SHOULD be)

-Gav

ARSA
11-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Yo! Gavin_G are you using poly or NURBS to model? just curious cuz its really clean! Well done :D and it doesnt look heavy!

GavinG
11-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Yo ARSA!
I'm using polygons, using the poly-by-poly method :love:

I'm really hoping i get to model a bit more either today or tomorrow (lousy work...cramping my style.)

Thanks!
Gav

ARSA
11-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Sweet! Poly-by-poly... :bounce:
I'll be looking forward to see some more of your stuff :D

-cheers!

GavinG
11-10-2004, 05:43 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1100069031_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1100069031_large.jpg)

Face update...

GavinG
11-10-2004, 05:45 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1100069130_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4042/4042_1100069130_large.jpg)

Face update, brough tthe cheekbones in a bit and enlarged the nose a little...obviously he;s missing a few parts. "Hopefully" I'll get some time to work on this in the next few days (not sure if i get the holiday or not..heh...heh)

Comments, questions and crits...always welcome!

Gav

ARSA
11-15-2004, 02:58 PM
yo! yo! man, great job with the head :) looking good... My only siggestion will be re-analyzing the nose... I think is too flat at the bottom (where the nostrils are, nose holes, etc) everything else looks fine to me :D

-cheers!

stevetwist
11-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Only crit is the nose - it doesn't taper as it moves up the face (stays the same thickness).

Other than that, it looks very very good. Would be nice to see it without the gap in the middle, I'm sure it's quick to sort out, and would mean less distractions (which makes it easier to get the overall impression of the face).

Cool work.

GavinG
11-16-2004, 12:35 AM
Thanks boys!

The nose is intentionally flat, mostly because I'll be covering it with a face mask and just wanted the general shape if I need to do cloth sim :D

Thnaks again guys, I really appreciate the replies...hopefully i'll have updates soon (3 day weekend coming up, Wooooo!!)

Gav

HieSpike
11-16-2004, 02:45 AM
Hi,

Nice idea and sketches so far, and I like the laurence of arabia model. Anyway, good luck and cant wait to see more.

peace

dur23
11-16-2004, 04:17 AM
Looks mighty awesome gavin pants. Can't wait to see those g funk skills finishin this up:)

Vittorius
11-16-2004, 05:09 AM
Nice, detailed modeling...love it, keep it up!!!:thumbsup:

My CG Challenge XVI - Grand Space Opera - 3D Thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=185732)

ARSA
11-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Yo! Gav get back to work, nap time is over :) :applause:

-cheers!

dur23
11-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Yo! Gav get back to work, nap time is over :) :applause:

ya... i second that

GavinG
11-26-2004, 01:07 AM
Yo Yo Yo!

Just got back from vaction time! Soon guys, soon :twisted:

Gav

ARSA
11-29-2004, 01:09 PM
lol!

-cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.