PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Jonathan Myers

Texamosix
10-19-2004, 04:36 AM
Jonathan Myers has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Texamosix
10-19-2004, 05:08 AM
Bear with me here, I'm venturing into unexplored territory. I've never done a real project like this before... with all the planning, proffesionalism, and unbelievable competition (truly, there is some amazing stuff here). I consider myself a decent artist, but I'm better at copying something from real life than making up something on my own.

I was real excited to see the topic of this challenge, but I was already working on a space scene with planets, ships, etc. So, I wanted to do something that focused on a different aspect of the battle. Instead of the drama of the ships and explosions, I wanted to show the emotion of the people involved in the battle.

Looking at my concept sketch now, I think it's pretty lame... but, it was the first thing I saw when I read "Space Opera". If I decide to follow through with this sketch I will techno-fy the scene up abunch.

Anways, here's my concept sketch (pencil and paper ~ 5 X 3 in.):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/Texamosix/ConceptSketch1.jpg

As you can see, I don't really stand much of a chance against all the studs here. I'm really just excited to compete against such great artists and hopefully boost my creative artistic abilities. Good luck to all... I'm expecting big things out of you guys. :)

P.S. I don't have a drawing pad, so this will be done with a mouse :eek:

Texamosix
10-20-2004, 07:26 AM
By the way, I see some peoples' images have the copyright and CG Talk text on them... do I need to be submitting these WIP's somewhere?

(Nevermind) :)

Texamosix
10-20-2004, 07:43 AM
[/url]

Developed on that last sketch a little more... I hate the colors, but they're the only three pencils I had on me .
[url="http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4032/4032_1098254617_large.jpg"]http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4032/4032_1098254617_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/4032/4032_1098254617_large.jpg)

I'm pretty sure this is the worst concept drawing ever... at the very least, the sloppiest. I keep telling myself the final drawing will look better...

I definitely need to eliminate all the cliche images in my scene... like the typical big screen set-up, bland desk and chairs, typical uniforms, etc. IF I develop this scene further, I plan to dim the lighting alot with the main source coming from the front of the control room and other monitors. For the tables I was thinking maybe a translucent or transparent material, and eliminate the top ledges so you can see more of the soldiers.

Unlike my first idea, I've moved away from the feeling of "victory" to "awe". What does everyone see? Is it good, or bad? I would like for the viewer to ask him/herself these questions.

-------------------

My sketch was only supposed to be 300 pixels high, but instead it's more than twice that size... does anyone know how to fix this?

unitstudio
10-20-2004, 08:01 AM
Hey Texamosix, don't beat yourself up - try to have fun, otherwise what's the point? :)

Keep perservering. your ideas are sound - you may just want to think about using something other than those 3 colour pencils ;). Also think about the composition - one thing that's immediately apparent to me is that it's crying out to be in a wide, landscape aspect ratio, which would provide you with the opportunity to show the epic vastness of the view from the windows and the scale of the command room.

and remember, have fun...

-g

graphicnovel
10-20-2004, 08:41 PM
to tell you the truth I find your idea more expressive than most of the ones I've seen so far! it's just a matter of how to express it!

Slav
10-20-2004, 10:55 PM
i am faced with the same probelm.. we can only wait it out.

either way the main thing is that it shows. good start so far. hope it gets better.

Texamosix
10-22-2004, 08:25 AM
unitstudio: Just have FUN? That's what they tell the little league baseball players who suck...

Kidding! I don't really intend to come of so self-depricating, I think I just go overboard trying not to sound arrogant.... I can't stand arrogant people. :)

Thanks for the suggestions too. I appreciate all the help I can get, because I surely need it.... oops, there I go again.

graphicnovel & Slay: Thanks for the compliments!

I wish someone knew how to fix these image sizing problems...

R-K
10-22-2004, 12:27 PM
this is the way you learn, is it not?

I'd go with wide image too with the concept you have there, it's nice idea you have there, not this "orbital approach" everyone's doing :D

Keep working, sorry, dunno about image size problem..

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.