PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Dominic Qwek

dominicqwek
10-19-2004, 03:35 AM
Dominic Qwek has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

dominicqwek
10-20-2004, 08:45 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1098305110_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1098305110_large.jpg)

Here's my concept sketch in b/w. I have a couple of thumbnails done but this has been my favourite so far. Here's a short sypnosis:

" As Darven edged closer to the ship, several thoughts ran through his mind. He thought of the time spent with his family back on Grania, the many friendships he had made through out his lifetime. He wondered if they were still alive back on Grania, whether the beam had struck them. It was so quiet and the only thing Darven could hear was the slight humming of the ship's cannon. However, deep in his mind, he could hear the crumbling of majestic cities, he could hear the screams of his beloved people, he could hear their very last prayers.

The slow-moving yet deadly beam had taken the entire western hemisphere, eradicating everything in its path, and causing a shockwave travelling thousands of miles. Nothing could survive it. The Joint Nations Congress never preempted for such an assault, all along they had been able to fend off the enemy frigates. When the cannon arrived, it took down the entire Grania space assault corps. Darven and his co-pilot, Neshla managed to cloak their stealth shield in time before the assault had begun.

Darven only had a few minutes left before the beam would hit the eastern hemisphere. Millions would die, followed by those caught in the shockwave. Grandia's last and only hope of survival laid in the hands of one man ... "

dominicqwek
10-21-2004, 06:55 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1098384936_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1098384936_large.jpg)

The first cocnept is being scrapped.. cos I felt that it didn't emote enough, and it was too action based. When I was designing this concept, I kept on wanting to tell the audience a story. And then I realised that what was more important was for the audience to emote along with the image and to feel it. In other words, more profoundity. The audience isn't dumb , quoted from timothy albee i think if im not wrong. This is one of those known facts but things you don't normally apply.. anyhow, this is going to be my first full scale still image, so i want to be certain i am happy with it.

Some notes on this concept:
-there is 2 persons in the foreground, one's dead and the other is hugging the dead guy(or girl, still deciding)

-the person that's alive is NEVER looking at that ring thing, although it suggests that for now. He'll most likely have his eyes closed.

- that ring thing is a cannon charging up and is about to destroy the planet

- the bg is gonna be a ruined cityscape with slight smoke and flames

- I'm banking on facial expressions for this piece, they'll be the most important aspect to achieve.

I'd also appreciate if you guys pick the composition you like and perhaps tell me why you chose that composition if you have the time. I have a few of them in mind, but it'll be nice to hear what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

Miss Hippo
10-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Hey Dominic,
I think you should really stick to this idea. It's very emotional and very catchy! I think you should keep the eyes/head of the living human towards the ring (looking at the ring), tears flowing down the cheek and holding the dead very tightlly. I kinda shows that he/she knows that it's the end but don't want to let go, no matter what! If u have the living human eyes closed and head down...it's not as effective in my opinion. Good luck!

3doid
10-21-2004, 07:18 PM
i definitly vote for the second concept... i think it is very importent to emote through ur artwork i also agree with Miss Hippo.. i think open eyes emote better then closed eyes but the setup u got there closed eyes and down heads wud also do the trick cause that expresses fear of loosing, xcepting fate and an ambient sadness... very well done... i'll b waiting for ur updates... keep it up buddy :thumbsup:

dominicqwek
10-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Hey Miss Hippo, I didn't want the person to look straight at the ring because that would be too direct in storytelling imho, I'd rather have him look in an unimportant direction(sh*t i can't find a bette word to describe that), so that it feels to the audience like he knows what is coming up, that the cannon is gonna strike. Open or close, I haven;t quite decided on that yet. But yeah 3doid, you do have a point about the eyes being open. I'll have the person's chin pressed snugly on the dead person's head too.

I intended to give the expression that he is aware of what is going to happen, and that he is accepting that, hence the title, A Better Place ;)

Now the issue is whether there is the need to emphasize on the characters, if so, I'll have to take a closer shot like 7 and 4. 1, 5 and 6 is out for me. I also like the slanted horizon, and that might not work out with 2. the slanted horizon has a dynamic feel to it... and i can't seem to get that from number 2

Thanks for the crits, i really appreciate them. This piece has certain value to me, as this wip progresses, you'll know more.

Virtuoso
10-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Hi Dom.......................I like your new concept.(Quess I am smart enough ;) )............For your praticular piece I like the Bottom right compo,the extra wide option.It looks to have all the potential you need for a Grand Space opera..................Your creation thoughts are good ones,this sounds promising.I will check up on you as time goes,All the best to you.Looks like you have a good grasp on the Space opera theme..............:arteest:

dominicqwek
10-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Hey Virtuoso, it's great to see you here. Been long since the Game Cinematic Icon challenge days eh? Good to see you're alive and kicking, and i'll be expecting more from you :)

I'll take note of your choice, and thanks for giving me your opinions. There's just something about the vertical composition that seems to be attracting me . I must decide soon.

Looking forward to more crits and opinions guys/girls. thanks!

Virtuoso
10-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Thats funny Dom.....................The vertical look and feel are pulling me too.But from the compo's you showed with your practicular thumbnails the extra wide one struck me the most.........Well either case,I like the start.In the end you will make the right choice I am sure.I will be watching out for more always.All the best for now....And all the luck in picking the best compo,they can be the toughest parts........:beer:

PS:....................The vertical one to the upper-right was a close second.............;) :arteest:

dominicqwek
10-22-2004, 09:40 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1098438021_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1098438021_large.jpg)

I've decided to go with the last composition. Here are some colour tests I've done, tell me what you think. It's gonna be a father/son piece, there's a lot of artwork out there with lovers so I figured I'll stick to father-son relationship.

Tell me what you think. Cheers.

Andrey_SE
10-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Dom, nice sketch! But bear in mind that there should be something which gives (strong?)impression of the idea that those humans are a part of something really BIG. Since, this challenge is Space, epic related. May be that "ring thing" can be visualized with lots of details and give the feeling that it's huge or leading to something huge or connected to huge thing.
Well, sorry for distraction. That was just my opinion. And most probably you know how to make you piece nice way.
Good luck!

dominicqwek
10-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Andrey thanks for the crits. yeah the ring thing will be huge. its gonna be in space, not with in the planet's atmosphere. Cheers.

DimitrisLiatsos
10-22-2004, 10:40 AM
The last concept u decided to go along IS GREAT, in the idea od this Challenge and very mystirious at the same time....u got me hooked to this thread up the end :bounce:

Have fun friend ... i am waiting to see how will visualize this in 3D.

* subscribed *

tsunami4you
10-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Love the dramatic theme

dominicqwek
10-22-2004, 05:59 PM
dimi- tks m8. I've been getting some opinions on composition number 2, but I might go with my decision in 7. anyway i can always move the elements ard in 3d to get a better feel. I'll post a head soon ;)

tsunami - tks dude. :)

Virtuoso
10-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Hi Dom...................great to see the wide version as your current choice.........As for color choice I would choose the bottom one with a nice intense orange flavor.Personal pick.I think this has a very vibrant and striking look.................I'll be watching for more updates all the time,I know this will be one of the higher end thread's to follow,and I am pitching a tent here.See you for now............

chadtheartist
10-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Wow man this is great! I love the whole concept! I'm also glad you went with the wide layout. I have to agree with you about doing an emotional piece. This competition seems perfect for it.

I'm definitely looking forward to your next steps! Keep it up!

Chad

dominicqwek
10-24-2004, 08:00 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1098648001_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1098648001_large.jpg)

Well, he's suppose to be dead... so i'm not quite sure if there is a facial expression for death.

markovicd
10-24-2004, 08:51 PM
nice... but i dont like his lips ... his upper lip looks like is glued to mouth or it is just me :)

kinston
10-24-2004, 09:41 PM
wowow dom you are damn fast.. so far so good .. i already add in my entry.. will do my best in my limited time in japan. gambate

dominicqwek
10-25-2004, 03:37 AM
marko- tks for the crits. I'll go fix it, yeah the upper lips do look a bit stiff.

kingston- The people taking part in this challenge ARE fast. So you better catch up soon. LOL. I want to finish one version early so I can improve and refine it later. thats the plan ;)

dominicqwek
10-25-2004, 11:06 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1098702376_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1098702376_large.jpg)

He will...ermm..must! have hair. Gotta model faster..I think I might go easier on the overall detail for this whole challenge. It'll depend on how long this guy will take. All CnC welcomed. Thanks.

Andrey_SE
10-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Hi, Dominic! Must confess that you got my eye on your work. :thumbsup:

The character seems to be in lil disproportion. Either it's a suite that doesn't suite or he has unusual bold shoulders and massive arms. Could be just because you haven't added some details there.

Keep it up! Great work so far!:bounce:

markovicd
10-25-2004, 11:40 AM
now it is better...but...
look at ur self at mirror... u can see that the upper lip is a little bit more pushed in front then down lip...
:)
so do that ok ? :D

chadtheartist
10-25-2004, 12:08 PM
I like the design a lot! The only thing that looks off to me is the back of his head, and the ears. It looks like the back of his head is a bit flat on the top part, and the ears look to high, and possibly too small. Although this could be the angle at which you rendered this too, so I could be wrong!

Keep it up!

dominicqwek
10-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Andreyse- thanks i think you're right, his shoulders looks a bit too bulky, i'll go check on that. ;)

marko- man you must be some lip expert. haha. thanks m8. I'll go scrutinise my own lips...oooo yeah. LOL

chad - noted. you are right about the ears. I'll go fix them. The back of the head IS a bit flat. Thanks for pointing that out.

markovicd
10-25-2004, 01:40 PM
hahahaha:scream: mate! :)
i am not lip expert just know that , it is the most hardest part of face to model :)

i am here to help u if u need anything :P

Yina
10-25-2004, 02:58 PM
woa.. talk about fast.. :bounce: looking foward to more! :D

Virtuoso
10-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Knowing your stuff,this will be another nice character.The start is a good one.As for emotions...................I think perhaps an emotion can still be shown if he had been frozen at the time of death,this way you could show his last true feelings even more so.....Giving the piece again even more emotional strength......................Ok thinking out loud.Keep the updates coming Dom.:arteest:

dominicqwek
10-27-2004, 08:32 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1098909159_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1098909159_large.jpg)

Please ignore the smoothing artefacts. they are temporary and will be sorted out later. I'm leaving the minute details to the textures.

dominicqwek
10-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the crits Virtuoso, depending on how dead i can get the character to look, i might consider your suggestion. Though I am also afraid that it may overkill the image and it subtlety.

WazaR
10-27-2004, 10:52 PM
I would only make the suggestion that perhaps you have the the figures facing in the opposite direaction. eg. have their backs facing us. I think it would make their last stand against the cannon that much more tragic.

Good work so far. You seem to model very quickly.

Ddavis
10-27-2004, 10:59 PM
cool modeling and work so far. I would think a dead guy that died painfully would have their mouth open kinda with there jaw hanging open.. Just my idea, but then again i dont see dead people everyday, lol... keep up the good work

dominicqwek
10-28-2004, 05:29 AM
Wazar- I'll consider your suggestion. Once i have all the elements I will play around with the composition and various poses. Tks m8.

Ddavis- yeah you're right about the jaw hanging thing, I'll make his jaw hang more. as for now, they are slightly hanging. tks man.

dominicqwek
10-29-2004, 07:14 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1099077242_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1099077242_large.jpg)

Shader test. The textures need a lot more loving. I also tweaked his facial features, and added hair as well. I'll be dirtying his face with some blood(subtle) and also improve the textures..

pBarrelas
10-30-2004, 11:42 AM
Hey Dominic, I'm liking it so far, the concepts and the models are great!! Keep on!!:thumbsup:

madshooter
10-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Concepts and the model are looking great. I like his hair, Is it texture mapped or fur?
Also I saw your Dragon-orc model, it is simply rocking, Nice details:thumbsup:
Waiting to see more rocking updates:bounce:

dominicqwek
10-30-2004, 07:10 PM
pBArrelas- tks man. could always use encouragement at times.

madshooter- i'm glad u like the dragon-orc model, i'll be improving on it soon with textures. The hair is done using Ornatrix. Its still in beta, you can check it out here:

http://www.ibmr.net/Ornatrix/

andreja
10-31-2004, 12:36 PM
It's going great. You dragon-orc model is excellent. Keep it up!:thumbsup:

dominicqwek
10-31-2004, 04:23 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1099243410_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4031/4031_1099243410_large.jpg)

Lowered the jaw, touched up the textures for his face, they still need a lot more work, i'll factor that in later. Finished the general modeling for the rest of the body. I will be shredding up the clothes more..they look like cheese now. I'm gonna let this model rest for now and in the meantime , I'll start on the other bg props.

tanguy
10-31-2004, 04:49 PM
i am impressiv byyour work.
You are a mesh killer man !
I like ! i like !

pBarrelas
10-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Very nice Dominic!! I can't wait to see it full textured!! Keep on dude!:thumbsup:

Peter C.
10-31-2004, 10:07 PM
Thats some impressive modelling. The character looks great. Looking at the knee pads, you could perhaps add shoulder pads aswell (Mad Max style).

ALso, love your alien ship design! :thumbsup:

madshooter
11-01-2004, 05:25 AM
Hey dom, model is getting better and better, Ver nice clean mesh and amazing details.
My only suggestion is if you can add some more details on shoes, like some leather strap or
metal bolts. Just a suggestion.
Overall it looks cool.:thumbsup:

dominicqwek
11-01-2004, 11:28 AM
tanguy- tks! :p actually i prefer to talk to my meshes, inflicting fear is too drastic to me.

pBarrelas - tks dude. Looking forward to your updates too!

PeterC- tks man. I'll look into the shoulder pad thing. Though he's supposed to be a pilot and not a ground trooper.

madshooter-Alright, i'll do something about the shoes. thanks for pointing that out. ;)

keetmun
11-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Greetings Dom!

Issit just me, or do the shoulders look a little unnaturally arched forward?
Just a thought...

Cheers
:buttrock:

dominicqwek
11-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Keet Mun - damn... you're right. I'll pull back the shoulders. I wanted to show that there's some kinda padding within the suit, guess i need to reinforce that design. tks:thumbsup:

JamesMK
11-01-2004, 01:03 PM
This is good stuff :thumbsup: That aside, I don't really see why clothes made of cheese would be a problem :D ... think of it as a very neat way to increase the chances to survive when crashed in the middle of nowhere on a planet with only... er.. say, nothing but weetabix.

dominicqwek
11-01-2004, 01:19 PM
That's it. My next character is gonna be dressed be in lingerie made out of cheese...... topped with shredded carrot for the wabbits. Do rabbits eat cheese? hmmmm

JamesMK
11-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Since they are more or less rodents, I'm sure they like cheese. There's also an option called 'shredded wabbit' which many claim is quite de-lic-ious... or at least entertaining... but I digress.

Yina
11-01-2004, 05:07 PM
dom, your ardent fan is here again to check out your work :love: hurhur.. thats really some fast modelling you've got going. the last time i checked it was just a head :eek: anyways, keep the updates coming in man, its looking good :D

Peter C.
11-01-2004, 07:08 PM
PeterC- tks man. I'll look into the shoulder pad thing. Though he's supposed to be a pilot and not a ground trooper.
HEck, he might need them if he gets shot down, anyway, in the sci-fi movies, shoulderpads seem more like fashion than a necessary protection :D

WyattHarris
11-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Clothing is looking very good. Your use of wrinkles would make Burne Hogarth proud.

dominicqwek
11-02-2004, 03:22 AM
James- Rabbits eat wabbits? Isn't that cannabalism? You need a shrink badly, I see an impending schizo in you. :scream:

yina- heh thanks. Really I ain't fast, you should check out the other threads. Anyhow, i'm taking a break for a while.. rest a bit.

PeterC- well he IS dead. dahahahhaaa... ermm yeah shoulder pads. will look into that.

WyattHarris- That's a real nice thing to say. thanks. :D

roctavian
11-02-2004, 05:02 AM
Hi Dom,
I like your work.
I visited your website too. Really nice work you have there. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
You`re far a better artist than me, no question, (I`m just a hobbiest) but I have some critics to your concept.
Your artistic skills are obvious. The sketches are beautiful - there is enought tension and drama, modeling is awesome - details and imagination.
The main concern I`m having is that your second sketch is more like a character drama than a Grand Space Opera theme. I think you have to put something in the background to bring the two characters closer to the theme (a battleground after the battle, lots of wreckage, maybe some ships fighting against or trying to destroy the huge cannon, or anything else that can tie the two characters with the Grand Space Opera theme. It`s not necessary to be a conflict. I understand that you try to avoid the classic war and massive battle themes.
Maybe my Space Opera theme knoledges are not good enought, but I must say that it will be a sin, with such great skills you have, not to qualify because of the theme. I`m trying to be as gentle as I can, so ... please accept my appologies if I was rude.
Good luck Dominique!!! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to your WIP.

P.S. - maybe you have something in plan regarding my opinions. If so, it means that my concern is not a an issue.
- I was really asking myself to post or not to post my opinion. I`m affraid not to be misunderstood
- Please excuse my english spelling, english it`s not my strongest point.

dominicqwek
11-02-2004, 06:07 AM
PROctavian - one word.... RELAX.. chill man. I'm very.. extremely open to all opinions. And your opinion matters to me alright? I totally agree with what you have to say about the grandeur issue, in fact that's one of my biggest concern now. I have some ideas how to make the background more impressive and grand, they are all churning in my mind now, hopefully when i start working on them, it will be a pleasant surprise :D Once again, i must thank you for bringing this point and reinforcing it to me.

PS: in future, just post. don't worry too much! :bounce: and your english is great :thumbsup:

roctavian
11-02-2004, 03:33 PM
O.K. Dominic. I`m glad you`re an opened person and also I`m glad that everything is under control. I`m curious what you will build in your scene and I`m confident it will be a really pleasant surprise and a delight to my eyes! . :bounce:
Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Jaba153
11-02-2004, 03:44 PM
great modellin' dom ! bravo!gud loock!

dominicqwek
11-03-2004, 02:28 AM
Thanks for all the nice words guys. Kinda busy with some other stuff for now, I'll get back to this in a few days time. Once again, keep the crits coming. tks! :thumbsup:

uwil
11-03-2004, 08:52 PM
nice model dom, wish i can think of a character :banghead:.

DimitrisLiatsos
11-03-2004, 10:00 PM
well PeterC is right...in modern illustrations shoulder pads always pop up ...but..they can be at the same leve of your pilot's suit...and not beefed up ..this way they will look more elegant and project a pilot's suit (he has to move quickly doesn't he?)

except that i had to say thanks for all the ideas in my thread..u helped very much :thumbsup:

cya

bubble nut

ARSA
11-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Interesting concept you got going on here... I have been looking at this thread and I have desided to add a comment/crit.

I haven't seeing mutch yet towards the final composition, everything looks fine so far! I will like to see a render of an overallview of all the props, character and scene put togeter, and maybe I can give you any suggestions... since I think thats one of the htinks I do te best is arranging stuff on stage :D

- cheers

dominicqwek
11-09-2004, 04:48 AM
hi folks, some stuff cropped up and I won't be able to take part in this challenge anymore. thanks for all the valuable crits, I've learnt a lot from them. All the best guys!

keetmun
11-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Argh damn.... :banghead:

Hope everything's alright

:buttrock:

JamesMK
11-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Crap.

Well, good luck with the other things instead then :thumbsup:

Virtuoso
11-09-2004, 10:57 AM
I am sorry to hear this DOm,I liked your idea and work thus far........All the best to you......By the way your work for Blizzard is excellent........They would be proud to have it......:arteest: ..Until later,take care............:beer:

Andrey_SE
11-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Pity that you're gone from this. Hope that everything's ok.

Take care.

Andrey.

Rui_Padinha
12-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Hi Dominic!

Wow, I'm pretty impressed by your modelling skills! Pretty solid model you've got there... while retaining artistic expressiveness...bravo!

I just think you could make the "solid" metal and plastic parts more hard edged... It also seems to me like your cloth along the teared sleeve is a bit tto thick, other than that awesome job!

Btw, congrats on your Dragon Ogre as well :thumbsup:

Take care

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.