PDA

View Full Version : Best DVD Recorder

Pretorian
10-19-2004, 01:14 AM
Hi!!

I'm looking for an external DVD recorder for PC, using Windows XP and would like to see wich one is best for my needs. Price/Performance.

First, wich one is better, external or internal? I prefer external as I don't have free bay now, but if internal is better, I can take something out.

I was thinking in an external using USB 2 and Firewire options, both. Something that can record most medias, like DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+/-, etc.., the most common formats with a relative fast speed.

Wich manufactor and model will be an option? What about Sony and Pioneer?

I saw the "Sony DRX-530UL" model. Seems it is USB 2 and Firewire together. Record DVD+/-RW and CD-RW. 2 Mb Buffer. Dual RW (don't know what is it but the guy said that this is good, I guess is the +/-RW, hehe)

- Record DVD+R or DVD+RW in 4x
- Read DVD's in 8x
- Record DVD-R in 4x
- Record DVD-RW in 2x
- Record CD-R in 24x
- Record CD-RW in 10x
- Read CD in 32x

It says (24x10x32x Unit)

Well, I guess it's that. What I liked about it is that you can connect it in USB 2 and Firewire. You have both options. It comes with the two options cables. What I think is strange is that my Nec DVD-ROM is 16x and seems this Sony can only read in 8x. Is this normal?

I don't know much about this, so I'm a little in dark and will be happy if someone could give mne some advices.

Any help is really apreciated!!! :)

Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

jcbray
10-19-2004, 03:08 AM
You don't seem to mention it, but perhaps because you thought it obvious, but get one that writes dual-layer dvd's - the discs are dropping in price, plus it'll burn single-layer aswell. The rpice gap between a single and dual layer recorder isn't that much I think, so opt for the better one.

singularity2006
10-19-2004, 04:49 AM
Please do a search on this topic. This was just discussed in great length like last week. We tossed around names from Pioneer to NEC. I prefer NEC. I got a 16x burner from them.

Pretorian
10-20-2004, 12:59 AM
Jcbray: Well, I forgot to tell about that, but I saw something about "dual layer". I don't know what is it, but I think is something where it can write a 4.7 Gb DVD with 9.4 Gb? I saw something about writing 8.5 Gb, but don't know exactly what is it. But, for a "dual layer" writing does I need a "dual layer" disc or it's only a writing process and it can be used with a normal DVD blank disc?

Singularity2006: Like I said, I have a Nec DVD player that plays in 16x. I was looking for a DVD burner that can write in 16x too, at least write in 8x but that can read in 16x. The models I saw write in 8x but reads in 8x too. As I said, if writing in 16x, better. Wich Nec model do you have? Is it external or internal? I have searched for this topic but didn't find anything. With wich words should I search?

Wich media is better, DVD-R or DVD+R?

What is the DVD-RAM?

Can I write DVD-ROM with a normal DVD burner? Is it better then the rest?

Wich one is fast, USB 2 or Firewire? I know both are fast, but, wich one is faster?

imashination
10-20-2004, 01:28 AM
1) Take a look at the Pioneer 108 for a good drive
2) Avoid Sony
3) Dual layer discs are very expensive still, generally not worth it.
4) DVD-R is more compatible than +
5) Ignore DVD-RAM
6) Properly mastered ROM discs can not be made with a burner
7) USB2 is the same speed as Firewire

Now go and use google like the rest of the human race.

iC4
10-20-2004, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't suggest an external drive -> better buy an external 5 1/4 " case and put an internal dvd recorder in it.

brzilian
10-20-2004, 06:30 PM
1) Take a look at the Pioneer 108 for a good drive

7) USB2 is the same speed as Firewire

Not true. Actual real world sustained transfer rates for USB 2. 0 are more in the 250-300Mbit/sec range. Firewire still has a better/more efficient communications protocol and eats up less CPU time.

Orange Ray
10-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Hey

Get this DVD combo drive

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=0&bop=and&description=PIONEER+DVD&InnerCata=5

as well as this Multilank 5.25 External USB 2.0 + FireWire Enclosure

http://www.techsunny.com/.sc/ms/dd/1098293295408352/9/nc/External%20Enclosure/1637/Multilank%205%2E25%20External%20USB%202%2E0%20%2B%20FireWire%20Enclosure%20Retail

and you should be good to go. I bought 3 of thoes DVD drives. THEY ROCK!

P.S. go with the Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DVR-108, OEM. Black is so much better :)

AdvancedLife
10-21-2004, 09:47 PM
I agree, avoid Sony. My last dvd writer stopped working after 4 months and even though the warranty was for 1 year, then said that after 90 days I had to pay a $30 tech support fee for them even to talk to me about the problem. Iím not wasting my time or money again on a company like this.

I would recommend Plextor. They usually get good reviews and itís been a great workhorse the last 8 months.

Pretorian
10-25-2004, 03:40 AM
Thanks for all the answers till now!!

Yeah, I have stoped searching for Sony since you people told me about that. So, I saw some models and found one that had interested me. It is an internal (I prefer external, but couldn't find an interesting external model till now) from Pioneer, the A08 model, seems a good burner. Anyone knows it?

Else this one, any external good one?

What about Lacie?

Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

singularity2006
10-25-2004, 05:27 AM
I've stopped and settled for an NEC. the 3500A. I love these things mainly for their quick performance and quietness. Actually, I want to go a step higher when things get cheaper ..... gonna go up for a Plexwriter 16X... pre-orders are expensive.

Orange Ray
10-25-2004, 07:25 AM
Pretorian

The Pioneer A08 model is the retail version of the Pioneer DVR-108. The 108 is OEM and half the price of the A08. Thus you can buy two for the price of one. The only diffrence between the two is the interface of the drive. They both work the same. I bought three of the 108 drives and they rock! :buttrock:

lots
10-26-2004, 03:07 AM
Just to point out there are pretty significant differences between USB 2.0 and Firewire. First off the USB protocol is a shared bus design. Meaning you have x ammount of bandwidth to share amongst any number of devices. So, if you've got usb printers scanners cameras hard drives or other usb dependant devices eating up bandwidth, you will run into slow downs on whatever else you've got connected to the bus. Firewire doesnt suffer from this issue. There are dedicated lines to each device in the system. Devices communicate directly insted of through a host controller (unlike USB) thus alot of overhead and bandwidth is freed up. This is pretty much why Firewire is prodominantly used in video capturing. The data stream can be maintained at much more constant and higher levels than it could with USB.

Orange Ray
10-26-2004, 03:11 AM
and the odds of you running printers scanners cameras hard drives all at the same time few too none. Hungry? Grab a Snickers

leas5040
10-26-2004, 04:42 AM
and the odds of you running printers scanners cameras hard drives all at the same time few too none. Hungry? Grab a Snickers
Hrm... taking pictures off your camera and putting them on an external drive that you use for all image storage. There's two. It's not too implausible to think that you might either print one picture or be printing something else. Granted, you probably won't be using them at the same time all the time, but the chance still exists.

lots
10-26-2004, 05:25 AM
Just saying firewire offers a dedicated line, which might matter in some instances.

Orange Ray
10-26-2004, 05:27 AM
Right thats why the link I gave him has both firewire and USB 2.0 on the Enclosure. So that takes care of that

Pretorian
10-27-2004, 02:30 AM
I saw, maybe I'm wrong, but seems that USB 2.0 has a 480 mbits/sec speed, and Firewire 400 mbits/sec. Does anyone know if this is right?

Lots: I still guess that Firewire is faster as the digital video cameras uses Firewire to connect with the computer. If USB 2.0 is better, then I guess they will do thouse cameras with USB 2.0 type connection, doesn't they?

Orange Ray: Thanks for the links you gave me. I saw them and seems interesting. Strange is that I couldn't find any external drive that can burn so fast as an internal. I mean, some internal models can burn at 16x, and the external models I saw can only burn in 8x.

The 108 model you said is a "full" version like the A08 or it's a "light" version like some CD-RW drives, like the 230 Sony model? You mean the 108 model is a retail as it doesn't came in a box? I asked about the A08 because a professional guy that works with video production told me that the A07 model is for "large burn scale" (don't know if this is really true, anyway...), but the substitute for the A07 is the A08, so, I was thinking in the A08 model. I still want an external one, but if I could not find a good external drive I think I will take an internal.

What about Lacie?

Thanks guys!!! :thumbsup:

imashination
10-27-2004, 10:15 AM
I saw, maybe I'm wrong, but seems that USB 2.0 has a 480 mbits/sec speed, and Firewire 400 mbits/sec. Does anyone know if this is right?

Lots: I still guess that Firewire is faster as the digital video cameras uses Firewire to connect with the computer. If USB 2.0 is better, then I guess they will do thouse cameras with USB 2.0 type connection, doesn't they?

Orange Ray: Thanks for the links you gave me. I saw them and seems interesting. Strange is that I couldn't find any external drive that can burn so fast as an internal. I mean, some internal models can burn at 16x, and the external models I saw can only burn in 8x.

The 108 model you said is a "full" version like the A08 or it's a "light" version like some CD-RW drives, like the 230 Sony model? You mean the 108 model is a retail as it doesn't came in a box? I asked about the A08 because a professional guy that works with video production told me that the A07 model is for "large burn scale" (don't know if this is really true, anyway...), but the substitute for the A07 is the A08, so, I was thinking in the A08 model. I still want an external one, but if I could not find a good external drive I think I will take an internal.

What about Lacie?

Thanks guys!!! :thumbsup:

In practice you won't notice a single difference with the dvd burner and usb or firewire. If you have to pick one then go for firewire.

The 108 IS the A08. The ONLY difference is that the A08 has a prettier chunk of plastic on the front, comes with retail packaging and costs twice as much.

Buy a 108 and any external bay that you like. £30 will get you a decent firewire/usb housing to put the drive in.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.