PDA

View Full Version : Glow Brush Frustration

orion9282
10-19-2004, 12:58 AM
Hey all,

I've been checking out Ryan Church's DVD's (like a lotta people), and have had trouble replicating his glow effect. I find the glow brush to be awesome, but it doesn't create smooth gradients. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the brush leaves a sort of 'ragged' gradient. I thought it might be a spacing issue, but it's not. I thought it was a Painter version issue (I was using 7, then 8... and just got 6) but it seems the glow tool is the same in all.

The 'ragged' gradient is worst when at a large brush size... but otherwise fine when small. When Ryan applies the glow brush in the DVD's, it seems like a normal, smooth gradient. Is there something wrong with my settings? Am I doing something wrong? Help!

kraal
10-19-2004, 09:55 PM
i think you may need to post what you are talking about. So we can see what you mean by ragged.....

Shogmaster
10-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Hey all,

I've been checking out Ryan Church's DVD's (like a lotta people), and have had trouble replicating his glow effect. I find the glow brush to be awesome, but it doesn't create smooth gradients. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the brush leaves a sort of 'ragged' gradient. I thought it might be a spacing issue, but it's not. I thought it was a Painter version issue (I was using 7, then 8... and just got 6) but it seems the glow tool is the same in all.

The 'ragged' gradient is worst when at a large brush size... but otherwise fine when small. When Ryan applies the glow brush in the DVD's, it seems like a normal, smooth gradient. Is there something wrong with my settings? Am I doing something wrong? Help!
I know exactly what you are saying, and far as I can tell, Ryan uses the glow brush while the canvas is at a relatively small size, thus not having to use big brush for it.

The best I can think of.

Basura3d
10-20-2004, 03:36 PM
I had the same problem. I has to do with the fact that Painter works in 8bit depth. I tried the same thing in photoshop with the color dodge mode on a brush and got similar banding issues but when switching to 16 bit depth there was a perfect result. So you should be careful using it and not overdoing it... And like Shogmaster says, use it mainly on a smaller scale befor you blow it up in scale and do the details.

orion9282
10-21-2004, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far... I will try the uprez solution, but wish there was a better solution. I made a couple small sample images of what I'm talking about for Kraal, but it seems that I'm not allowed to post attachments because I'm so new. Thoughts on this?

I also tried the 8 bit vs. 16 bit in Photoshop CS and didn't find either to mimic Painter's problem. I've been drawing in painter, rendering in PS, and wish there was a perfect solution!

Basura3d
10-21-2004, 08:53 AM
Well, as you can't do 16 bit color in Painter I did this in Photoshop to see what happens when you work in 8 bit color in the same color range. I used the color dodge mode on a regular paint brush wich is like what the glow brush does in Painter.

Here I just did a glow effect to the left in 8bit and then just changed mode to 16 and did the one to the rigth... If you look careful you can see the banding effect you get.

orion9282
10-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Yeah, that's about it. That's one of the problems I find. The other inconsistency in the stroke in Painter is where the brush mimics a bad spacing problem, but I can't fix that either.

So I guess you're suggesting that I do the "color dodging"/"glow" effects in PS because Painter can't handle 16 bit? I wish there were another way... I've been trying to move from PS to Painter because the brush control is so much better, but the gradients aren't quite as smooth. Any suggestions now?

Thanks so much by the way... I thought it was just me and my settings....

kraal
10-22-2004, 04:52 AM
i use painter glow brush at large sizes all the time and never noticed any problems

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.