PDA

View Full Version : Help an UltraNewbie!

creAtoru'
10-18-2004, 11:47 PM
I've started soon to study xsi and I don't find anything like "Arc Rotate SubObject" in max. I may look stupid but it would be the 2nd time when I quit xsi because of this minor thing, so pls. help me!

Ablefish
10-19-2004, 12:08 AM
Wow, sounds like a critical tool. Maybe if you describe what it is or does, we can try to sort you out with the XSI equivalent.

EDIT: Hmm, I'm guessing it's equivalent is holding down 'o' and middle mouse dragging? Try that out and let me know if I'm close.

creAtoru'
10-19-2004, 12:25 AM
:) Yes, it is critical for me. What it does? Well, in max there are orbiting modes: orbiting around an object or around a subobject. When orbiting subobject mode if you select a vertex, edge etc., you'll be able to have this vertex fixed on the screen... Imagine that you work in detail, zoomed-in. If i don't have this option activated I'll be forced to use track tool a lot, which is very unpleasent. You know what I mean?
(excuse me 4 my english is not so good)

creAtoru'
10-19-2004, 12:33 AM
no, i'm sorry, what u are saying is just a limitation of orbitation axis. I still don't have the vertex fixed on the screen!

Ablefish
10-19-2004, 05:11 AM
Ok, just press "f" to frame your selection once you've selected your component(s). It can be points, edges, faces... doesn't matter. That will put the camera interest into the center of the selection and then you can orbit around normally with the O or S key.

creAtoru'
10-19-2004, 10:22 AM
:thumbsup: damn, that was difficult! :)
10x a lot for helping me. still, it doesn't work as good as in max, but wow! after all i won't quit XSI again!

creAtoru'
10-19-2004, 10:58 AM
ok... here it is another question (i don't have documentation yet): is there any chance that in xsi i can save an user interface which will be loaded automaticaly when i restart the app? it is very frustrating de set over and over again, every time i start a new scene...

Ablefish
10-19-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you're considering a user interface, but you can create a custom layout, if that's what you mean.

If you're just talking about always starting with viewport B expanded horizontally, and an explorer in viewport D, for example - save out a scene the way you like it and create a shortcut to it on your desktop. Open XSI with that shortcut instead of the normal one.

TonyEdwards
10-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Or you could creat a custom layout by going to

Application/Layouts/

You could either create a new one from scratch or edit an existing layout. Once the layout is saved you could start XSI and then choose the new layout from your list of layouts. You could probably set it to the "default" layout as well but I'm not sure how.

Hope that helps.

Bibo
10-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Hi,

you can change the Layout of XSI under > Application > Layouts.
You have also the possibility to customize your layout there. ("Customize UI" in MAX)
Its a bit tricky if you come from MAX, because itīs different (hey, itīs a different application!).
If you quit and restart XSI your chosen layout should be the default one.

Example: For modeling I made a dual screen layout which has the Viewports on the left Monitor and a blank Desktop on the right, so i can put floating windows there (bad habit from MAX I have to admit).

One advice: Donīt try to translate workflow directly from MAX to XSI. Try to do some tutorials and you wonīt miss a thing!

Regards

Bibo

creAtoru'
10-19-2004, 05:12 PM
10x a lot bibo.
ok, i'm gonna give ya a more explicit example. i check "display options>enable head light" option. when i restart xsi, this option is unchecked. i've created a new layout with my own name, but still i'm not able to find a solution to this. when i restart xsi i wan't this option to be checked. smb. tell me please, if it's this possible to be done!

creAtoru'
10-19-2004, 05:51 PM
well... i think i've solved this problem by myself (i can hardly wait to get that f*cking documantation) but i can't deal with smt. else: "show wireframe on unselected objects" and the same problem: after i check it when i restart xsi it is unchecked!

Ablefish
10-20-2004, 12:12 AM
As you're finding, the display settings do not persist session to session. They do however persist within the scene, which is why I recommended you create a "default" scene which you use to start XSI each time.

An alternative is to open a new scene, set all your settings as you like them, then select all the logged commands from the script editor and drag it onto a toolbar to create a button. You can map a hotkey to this button so that every time you start xsi, you just press Ctrl-Alt-J or whatever to set things up as you like them.

creAtoru'
10-20-2004, 07:05 AM
10x ablefish! i did what u've told me and i've puted an shortcut of scene on my deskyop.

is it normal to have these artifacts? if not, how can i get ridd of them?
http://www.visualart.ro/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=138050

creAtoru'
10-20-2004, 11:33 AM
i think i've solved the problem!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.