PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Mathew W. Waggle

teyekanik
10-18-2004, 11:47 PM
Mathew W. Waggle has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

teyekanik
10-27-2004, 12:01 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3993/3993_1098878459_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3993/3993_1098878459_large.jpg)

Ok.. thought I would do some proper concept sketches. this is primarily my forground.. I am mainly concerned with composition with this one. Take some time to pick through this one please. Also, I am looking for some tutorials on creating a great looking planet.. I am having trouble with my planet right now.. thanks!

Peddy
10-27-2004, 01:55 PM
welcome to the fray!

good stuff, but whats that guy pointing at? and would you be able to explain the main element. ive gathered that the planet is in the background, but what are the soldiers standing on? the outside of a ship?

and concerning the planet tutorial, there are some really good ones out there, but i would advise to adapt them and implement your own style. we are here to learn after all. and dont panic, you have 3 months to dabble paint down!

teyekanik
10-27-2004, 02:13 PM
it sux that I can't post a bigger pic but CG put limits at 150K soooo... the guy isn't pointing but he's commanding the viewer to move out! All the marines in the pic are standing on the hull of a carrier sip... toward the ends of each ship in this pic you can see them taking off toward orbital combat.... thanks for the comments !

Peddy
10-27-2004, 02:34 PM
ok sweet. i honestly should have seen that, but im a bit frazzled at the moment. i LOVE that idea. screw the single pilot ships, we's fightin them by hand!

when i think of launching off that ship, and being hastened by a superior, i cant stop thinking of a sense of speed and haste. what i think would work, is if you can try and implement that feeling of anxious haste. ie showing the viewer moving with the flow of things/showing the running of the main character (you)

hope this helps.

Peddy
10-27-2004, 03:36 PM
this just in : Tutorial: How to make a planet (http://gallery.artofgregmartin.com/tuts_arts/making_a_planet.html)

this was the one i was thinking of before but didnt have the link. this should help a lot, but try and not just use the end result of this tutorial for your final image.

teyekanik
10-27-2004, 05:00 PM
I won't but I needed a good place to start/compare notes... man, thanks a million!

MoonVisionStudio
10-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Love how this is looking! My only two comments are: the top center looks empty, I think you would probably put stars or something up there. Also, I get the what you are trying to do with the sargeant, but I think you should explore that a bit more, maybe have him pointing more towards the "front" so you can force the perspective on his arm more?

Cant wait to see the finish!

screamingwing
10-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Hey man
love the idea of having lots of soldiers fighting on hulls of ships to bring it down to a personal level rather than just having lots of ships blowing the crap out of each other.

emrahelmasli
10-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Hi Mathew!
Nice sketch...waiting for your color processes.
See you in SF man...it's gonna be a blast!

teyekanik
10-29-2004, 01:56 AM
ah, what's up E! I'll send you that email in a minute... ya, I'll see you there!

element5
11-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Great start.... Cool surfing a battlecruiser into battle :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.