PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Shawn Wambeck

shawnw
10-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Shawn Wambeck has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

shawnw
10-23-2004, 02:24 AM
Heres a simple draft for my concept, reminds you of those 80's vid games dont it!. Since this is supposed to be a grand space opera, my focus will be on the main flagship, it would be highly ornate with lots of details. It would be an icon of great power and beauty for an entire civilization (..think the Yamato/japan, pearl harbour/us). and of course its about to be whoop-assed to smithereens (..shades of the hindenburg disaster). there will be alot more ships of different sizes and types, there will be a multicoloured nebula in the background showing alot more ships with volumetric lighting. Im currently thinking of the dynamics of the scene/galaxy, like what level of advancement in weaponry, shielding technology, speeds the crafts make,etc prior to doing any design work on the actual crafts. This becomes increasingly important as we are all fairly limited to 1 single still, it would be far too easy to make an unbelievable scene.

Sorry for the ho..hum..another space scene, trust me i hope to make it up to you in the coming few weeks.... be nice:)

shawnw
10-23-2004, 02:41 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3973/3973_1098495671_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3973/3973_1098495671_large.jpg)

initial draft showing basic concept

Borro
10-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Nice concept... Well I hope you'll post updates soon :)

BookMansBlues
10-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Cool!, keep'em comming! :)

theduke
10-23-2004, 12:11 PM
it reminds me a bit of the game Homeworld, where there are tons of fighters swarming around bigger ships. Needless to say I really like your sketch, but as it is quite a cliché concept, you'll probably have to find a unique touch somewhere. That's my opinion of course. So far I like it. Keep up the good work!

shawnw
10-23-2004, 07:23 PM
I was actually counting on doing a very highly detailed flagship which would essentially dominate the scene. Portion of which will be blown off showing a semi-cutaway of the interior decks burning(...starship troopers!...love that scene).

ah yes i have to agree with its all too common. A quick peek at the homeworld webby and another online game EVE, gave me such a shock. real time rendered scenes with such glorius details. even those are hard to beat.

So here i am thinking, quite possibly a concept change. It is becoming apparent that the theme encourages a massive land/air-based battle, that too is kinda cliche-ish but at least it would allow for greater variety of objects i.e Organic lifeform, land vehicles, air/space vehicles, landscape, buildings,etc. Therefore challenging the participants abillities in all areas.

I was initially trying to stay away from organic modelling simply because I dont have enough experience in those areas. I can easily build factories with intricate pipe layouts, machines with solid surfaces. but i have hardly ever done organic modelling. Ah...but then I suppose this is whats its all about ...doing stuff you've never imagined doing, and learning along the way. Sounds like a challenge!...i'll get right on it.

Thanks for the encouragement guys...really appreciate it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.