PDA

View Full Version : Tv cards (uk)

Simon
10-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Hi

I want to get a digital tv card for my workstation. I work freelance at home, so my dual 19" moniters, super tower box plus my two networked rendering stations are taking up a lot of room.

My TV is old, and I think is on its last legs, not aided by my girlfriend pouring a glass of drink down the back of it. (Sadley she didnt rub me with showergel like in that linx advert. (Non Uk people ignore this))

I want to stick a tv card inside, I want to get a digital one, so I can get freeview tv through it and play it on one moniter while I work on another.

Never seen anyone discuss tv cards on here. Infact I admit I dont know much about them at all.

Are there any issues that could arise from doing so. and if no, what tv card should I be going for?

Cheers,

Simon

kex
10-18-2004, 09:42 PM
get a hauppauge one with a remote( especially when your with other people), you still have to pay for a tv license too. but if your up for a new vid card as well ati and nvidia do a range of good cards.

the resoloution of televisions are awful though in comparision to hd video which is a dream.

but if you got a old pc youd like to convert which is a good idea if one person want to watch tv and the other wants to work etc.

find an old pc and myth tv on it and then fing a tv card that will work with it.

allso i here that external tv cards use more compression in comparision to internal. also make sure its got a hardware decoder etc rather than a software one. just think winmodem if you go down the software route.

imashination
10-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Just a small question. Will any of the tv cards take in an NTL cable signal and allow me to use the pc as the cable box? Right now I have the cable box feeding into an old tv card and the signal isnt great, plus im hoping that perhaps the pc will scroll through menus faster, because the cable box is painfully slow.

Beamtracer
10-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Go digital.

The UK and European digital broadcast standard is known as DVB. Most of the world is adopting this standard.

The US has introduced its own alternate standard known as ATSC.

In some ways you could think of DVB as a replacement for PAL, and ATSC as a replacement for NTSC.

rendermaniac
10-18-2004, 10:39 PM
We have a Haupauge WinTV card which is OK, but not the top of the range. It's very good to use with an online listing service such as tvtv.co.uk as you just click the button and it sets up the recording (if your card supports this).

However we were thinking it would be better getting a seperate TV as if one person wants to watch TV and the other wants to use the computer it get difficult. Of course we only have one 21 inch monitor, so having 2 might get around this. I can't remember if the internal cards need focus for the remote to work. (don't have it plugged in). That probably depends on software though. Also if its external you'll want at least USB2.

The computer is pretty good for DVDs too - the resolution is much better - and a TV card with hardware decoding can help quite a bit with that.

Simon

Simon
10-18-2004, 11:38 PM
Well my video card has a tv out. So if the moniter thing becomes an issue, I can always buy a tv at a later date.. or another moniter. I have been looking for an excuse to get a third moniter. hehe...

I'm getting my money tmmrw. I'll buy one probably this..

http://www.averm.co.uk/avermedia/products/dvbt.htm

what you think?

"Record/ Playback live TV programs and video
- Record video in MPEG 2 quality
- Scheduling Recording"

I like the sound of that. Using my pc as a digital vcr! I've got 160gb hd, and I'm getting another, so I can record all my favorite programs!!

The thing also allows you to pause tv and continue from where you left off.

Theres only one problem. it will probably mean that I will get none of my work done! Ah well never mind!

Simon

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.