PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Shane Watson

Oregano
10-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Shane Watson has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Oregano
10-24-2004, 04:03 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3941/3941_1098633805_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3941/3941_1098633805_large.jpg)

Concept sketch composite of several ideas that I have been working on over the past week.

From top right down:
Top Right: Concept for interior of a tourus space station with gigantic trees growing from "bottom" to "top" with roots on both ends. Inspired by Larry Niven's "Integral Trees".

Center Right: View from the interior of a space station overlooking shipping traffic and the world that it is orbiting.

Lower Right: Scene based on my Lemuria Saga. Girl sitting on ground during low tide, volcanic core in the background.

Final image, left side: This is the first sketch for my final image. I chose to back away from trying to use imagry that I've used before and went with a more intuitive approach. The "diamonds" are huge technological constructs (*not* deathstars, more orbital habitats), so vast that they haze out with the horizon. Above, and partially framing them will be a gas giant, with two of it's moons in view. The world the veiwer and the woman are on is one of the Gas Giant's moons. Not sure if I will include a visible ring - If I can get it to work compositionally I will include it, otherwise it will be left out.

Cheers,
~Shane

Shadow Seraph
10-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Seems like a nice story board idea so far, keep it coming!:bounce:

El Toro
10-26-2004, 04:30 PM
Wow, you can really draw very good! Good luck on the challenge! :thumbsup:

Hillartsympho
10-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Hey Oregano,

It's great to see another CA.org-er here! I think you could get a torus form to work in the piece it its really huge, like if you can only see a portion of it, maye a sith or so and the curve of it would suggest that it forms a complete circular form. it could span from thi high point in the sky off the top of the canvas down toard that horizon. you could also use the shadow of the torus in the sky to establish focal points on teh ground.

Awesome work, good luck!

ps. I would really appreciate it if you'd take a look at my submissions

Oregano
10-27-2004, 02:59 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3941/3941_1098845972_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3941/3941_1098845972_large.jpg)

I love clouds...

In looking at my initial sketch for the picture, I decided that I wanted to move the setting from a moon of the gas giant to the gas giant itself - what could be more *epic* than a world of unimaginable size? In doing this, I've freed myself of the necessity of creating a landscape; something I've been balking against from the onset (some of my very first ideas were to place the setting against a nebula backdrop). Using the gas giant fits perfectly.

With this WIP, I've begun working directly on the stratified cloud layering of the jovian world. I wanted to create an immediate sense of contrast, setting up a visual tension from the onset, so I chose reds and blues for the background colours. While the clouds are not done, far from it, this gives an idea of where I am heading with the picture.

The other elements - the girl and the habitat(s) will be put in as the picutre developes. Approaching this intuitavly, instead of directly planning every aspect out, but still keeping strongely in mind the direction that I want to go, I think the image will appeal stronger on an emotional level...

Cheers,
~Shane

Oregano
10-27-2004, 03:09 AM
Hey, thanks for the replys!

Shadow Seraph : yeah, it just seemed sort of a natural way to throw in a number of concepts without doing multiple posts :)

El Toro : Hey, thanks! Good luck to you too!

Hillartsympho : HI!! :D Yeah, I've been lurking here for a while, and just started posting stuff here about two weeks ago. These are some really great boards! (I still love Conceptart.org, as well!). I was sorely tempted to do the tourus, but decided against it in the end because I wanted to create something very open. I keep going back to Integral Trees, by Larry Niven, as my inspiration for the picture. I read the book forever ago when I was in highschool and was really taken by the conept of the story. If you haven't read the story, its setting is unique in that the world that it takes place on isn't a world at all, but a gas tourus, an atmosphere essentially, orbiting around a white dwarf (I think). I was really taken by the idea of no land. Anyway, it's a great read, and I highly recomend it! :D

Cheers all,
~Shane

YeeWu
11-13-2004, 03:59 PM
I really like how you setup that WIP shot! I've never thought of doing screencaps like that :P I can't really say anything about the clouds themselves, since they're still WIP, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I also like the simplicity and directness of your thumbnails. Good luck!

Oregano
11-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Hi Yeewu,

Thank you for the post. Really glad you like what I've got so far. I've been totally swamped with work recently and haven't had a chance to do any further updates, but I've been spending a lot of time thinking about the project!

(sorry for odd text colour - my four year old is directing composition this morning :bounce: )

Cheers,
~Shane

V_Shane
11-13-2004, 04:31 PM
This looks good, I'm a huge cloud lover myself. Even did a painting once 30 x 40 of just these huge cumulo nimbus. Look forward to the progression!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.