PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Russell Drake

MustardWash
10-18-2004, 07:30 PM
Russell Drake has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

SalamanderCoral
10-21-2004, 06:15 AM
hi mustard! good luck for the challenge. looking forward to see your ideas...:)

Salamander

captain chapo
10-21-2004, 09:01 PM
yAy! i'll be watching for updates!

Alice
10-21-2004, 10:57 PM
:D
I'll put your avatar in my submission if little alice can stay in yours... lol
good luck!
cheers!
/Alice

sochira
10-22-2004, 12:08 AM
good luck!

Art2
10-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Good Luck buddy!

zem
10-22-2004, 07:17 AM
This is becoming a daily sketch gathering. :) Cool!
Good luck mr Drake!
Nonsense info: Drake means Dragon in Swedish.
Start rolling the dice!

drawMonger
10-22-2004, 10:14 AM
I don't want to miss any of your art. Good luck!

TheTon
10-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Best of British to you Mustardwash!

See you on the other side!!

Ton

MustardWash
11-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Wow, thanks for the replys and support guys (and gal :D )!
I wish I checked back here earlier, I probably would have gotten started on this much sooner.

Well since work is constantly interfering with its annoying deadlines, and I have no time to sketch at all, I figure I will write out what little storyline I have figured out for my Grand Space Opera and maybe I can get some input on where to start or how to layout my composition.

Thanks,
Mustard

MustardWash
11-06-2004, 12:05 AM
In a galaxy far far away etc..... technology has advanced in unimaginable ways. The most ground breaking invention was coupled with the discovery of a universal energy called " 'elan ". This energy is something that is given off by every lifeform, from the tinest cell to the largest organism. With enough training and concentration an individual can shape and use these energies to his will. It is thought that the mystery of telekenisis, ESP, magic, etc... has been solved with the discovery of this universal energy and the ability to manipulate it. Many world and religious leaders have become experts in the manipulation of 'elan, but the abuse of it can come with disasterous results. One individual by the name of Cruor discovered the secret of immortality, only to be twisted by his power to the point of insanity. Cruor has been dubbed the Litch Lord and has become a tyrant bent on the destruction of the United Planetary Council (UPC) and the universe as a whole.
The ground breaking invention I mentioned earlier was a energy conductor that drew off of 'elan and produced a clean efficient energy source that nearly any machine could run off of. As much of a miracle this power source could be, the drawbacks were much greater. As this machine pulled power out of 'elan it would create an imbalance. The 'elan would compensate by drawing more energy out of living organisms nearby. Too much would cause minor sickness and pains, and eventually, death. Experiments only came with greater failures until there was an eventual ban on technology.
The Litch Lord knows of this Energy Conductor and especially of its results. He plans on building one large enough to consume 'elan as a whole, thus killing all living things. Once started the machine will run off of its exponentially growing power, eventually becoming unstoppable.
To make a long story short.... (maybe too late for that already :rolleyes: ) the cliche' unlikely hero saves the day by killing the Litch Lord in some unlikely way, which I havent considered yet.

Well, it may not be the most original idea but its all I can come up with for now. Comments, Critz, Ideas, & Input are most graciously accepted!

Ilikesoup
11-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Hey Mustardwash! It looks like you're in a similar pickle as me -- all story, no drawing. As for your story. . .

Insane or not, the Litch Lord probably wouldn't want to snuff out all existence. It's like killing the goose that lays golden eggs -- I think he'd need a steady supply of elan, which means he couldn't be the only creature left. What if he rounded up three of the most powerful beings and created a machine to harvest the elan from THEM. Then the UPC could burst into his hideout attempting to rescue the three, and a huge man-to man battle ensues. Focus would be on Litchie, hooked to a giant machine and brimming with power and he's surrounded by this huge army trying to stop him.

Ultimately, I have a feeling that people will either draw a space dogfight, ground forces fighting man to man, or some combination of the two. Think about what the Litch Lord would look lie, then decide if you'd rather draw space guys or space ships. The rest should start to fall into place. Hope that helps. :)

jeroentje
11-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Hi MustardWash,
No concepts yet? I'm curious of what you'll come up with :)

MustardWash
11-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Ilikesoup: Yes!! That is exactly the kind of feed back I needed. I liked the premise of my story but it just lacked something. I am going to go with what you suggested. Killing off the universe was just a little too "blah" and stupid. I like your suggestion of the UPC storming the Litchs stronghold to defeat his plan, with him hooked up to some gigantic machine syphoning off elan and feeding it to the Litch. I will start sketching.

P.S. Also thanks for reading that blob of words I call a story. :D

MustardWash
11-08-2004, 11:41 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3937/3937_1099960895_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3937/3937_1099960895_large.jpg)

Here is a concept sketch of the Litch Lord. A few colors thrown on top just to define the pic more. Nothing final.

greentek
11-09-2004, 12:02 AM
cool story and nice concept! :thumbsup:

best of luck in challenge Russell !

robinayles
11-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi there MustardWash! Love your story and concept sketch. My only crit is that to be so "all powerful" and scamming all the 'elan' off, etc. The Litch Lord looks a little bit frail. Should he be broader and more threatening looking...thus a larger & more fearsome foe for our yet-to-be-named "unlikely hero"?

I always love your stuff...can't wait, can't wait, can't wait to see MORE!!

elmasfeo
11-09-2004, 03:19 PM
wow, a concept at last, and a great one! I like it a lot, but I have to agree with robinayles, it doesn't look very evil or powerful...maybe just because he's white (just at the moment I guess)...and those big feet doesn't help to take him seriously... I like the transparent belly idea, and the overall look :thumbsup: good work!

KennyM
11-10-2004, 07:08 AM
don't know if it's original or not, and don't really care, your concept story rocks:thumbsup:

I don't agree with the sketch not being evil or powerful enough, the pose and possibillity for cool lighting, glow & bloom effects could give this character a very mighty aura

best of luck to you :bounce:

MustardWash
11-12-2004, 06:30 PM
greentek: :thumbsup: Thanks man, Im gonna give this one my all.

robinayles: Yey! Robins here. I was kinda going for the frail look with my villan. When I think of a Litch (an allpowerful undead master magician) I think of some skinny boney ugly sucker. I do agree that he isnt all that menacing yet. Maybe more spikes and a meaner coloration. I think I might add some shoulder pad thingys to make him look wider and thus more imposing. Thanks for the C&C! :D

elmasfeo: Thanks Elmasfeo! I think you hit it with the color. Too much white is making him look less evil. I have been sketching him a bit more. I was thinking a differnet head (maybe a skull) would help, but my sketches werent following my thoughts. I am going to add vertical slits where his eyes would be to make the mask a little more evil looking.

KennyM: Thanks KennyM! I was kinda intimidated in posting my concept story. Thought it was too cheesy maybe? Thanks for the " :thumbsup: ", makes me feel better about this. I do think that more color / lighting on the villan will make him more menacing & evil. That is something that I want to concentrate on more, as that is an area I need to up my skill level. Thanks.

So, as for the story and layout I have decided on what I am going to do.

Story: The Litch Lord has constructed his machine and has abducted powerful beings from across the galaxy to fuel his machine. The UPC has tracked the Litch Lords kidnappers back to his compound on Queitus IV. The Litch Lord knew of their arrival beforehand, ambushes & destroys the strike team.
On board one of the starships destroyed by the Litch Lords defenses is a young stowaway. This young man was a secret lover of a woman that was kidnapped. He flies off to the planets surface in an escape pod moments before the ship blows up, and finds his way to the Litch Lords compound. He tries to kill the bad guy, and the bad guy, in his cockiness, slaps the kid around, and prepares to drop him from a catwalk to his death. The kid has a dagger made of langorium, a brittle metal that impedes the flow of elan. He plunges this into the neck of the Litch Lord and saves the day. Happily Ever After and whatnot....

Image Layout: We will be looking at the Litch Lord hooked up to his elan sucking machine holding the young man up by the neck, ready to drop him to his death. The hero has just pulled his langorium dagger from his boot and is ready to make history.

I also apologize in turning this into a text based thread instead of a sketch based thread. I promise that is about to change! :D

MustardWash
11-12-2004, 07:10 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3937/3937_1100290214_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3937/3937_1100290214_large.jpg)

Ok, got a few minutes while images are resizeing at work, so heres a layout sketch.

I know proportions are off but besides that I am kinda happy with this one. I do want the Litch Lord to be larger than the hero. I am also going to show the people trapped in the machine too. Do you think the hero should be human? I have been toying with the idea of making him an alien. Nothing too fancy with tentacles and fire, just something a little exotic. Hmmm....

NOOB!
11-12-2004, 07:13 PM
well apart from the proportions this is cool,i don't think u should make the hero an alien.

can't wait to see how this turns out.

Amida
11-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Hi Mustard, finally u have started:P. I also think that ur lich lord (well, that how I spell it (WC3-style)) should look more evil. I think dark colors and maybe a lil red or something thorwn in at the head, just for the hell of it. (I know it's all been done before, but hey, ur not making a movie, ur making a pciture, right? :P) And its good to have a good story to fall back on and to draw inspiration from, but it doesnt HAVE to be all that original, because it's about ur pic, not ur story. Good luck, and have fun m8.

robinayles
11-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Howdy MW! I love the tension in the latest sketch! His size works well to make him more menacing. [edit: also I guess I didn't know what a Litch was...not familiar with the name, thus the other size comments I made before.]

As for the hero being an alien, that is totally up to you to decide. BUT...I do think we will sympathize more with him if he is human. I mean, really, if Evil Litch is gonna kill a lizard-man, who cares?!? :)

I'm lovin' it - keep it up!!

-Robin

Gord-MacDonald
11-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Beautiful drawings! I can't wait to see more.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.