PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Paul Davidson

paulwdavidson
10-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Paul Davidson has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

MrFreeman
10-18-2004, 08:49 PM
:thumbsup: :) Great to see you're back for the next challenge

Good luck and congratulations for last time :applause: :)

ardenrey
10-18-2004, 09:28 PM
:D Nice to see you!!! Wish you luck!!!

duddlebug
10-18-2004, 09:46 PM
hey Paul!! Good to see you here too!!

Good luck!!

sketchfiend
10-19-2004, 01:16 AM
Good to see youve join in this great new challenge, i look forward to following your work buddy, and i wish you all the best. Goodluck:thumbsup:

techart
10-19-2004, 07:48 AM
good luck Paul,cheers

Squibbit
10-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Mr.Davidson ! waiting excitedly what u come up with !

welcome to the contest and good luck !

hdri
10-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Nice to see you! Best luck. (This Challenge is becoming tougher...)

paulwdavidson
10-19-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm hoping to have something towards the weekend..............this is a real thinker!

flyingP
10-19-2004, 04:43 PM
considering what you produced last time round I'm expectiing some impressive stuff in here :thumbsup:

Luter
10-21-2004, 01:29 AM
What?!! What ?!! nothing yet .??? !!! Arh.......:D

Virtuoso
10-21-2004, 03:22 AM
I'll have both my eyes open on this one......Way open............Now bring on the eye candy paul..............:arteest:

Tranchefeux
10-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Hello
I am in a hurry to see creations....
Good luck

NinjaA55N
10-21-2004, 11:07 AM
And another great artist at this challenge... Good luck Paul! :)

Selvagem
10-26-2004, 09:35 AM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: here's a thread to watch!!

we're not worthy! :P

Squibbit
10-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Hey Paul u starting to creep me out there , dude :) . u always lurkin n yet
not a single sketch on your thread , u hiding a finished pic or haven't gotten
time to work on your entry yet ?

Selvagem
10-28-2004, 07:35 PM
[muhaha]

from how i remember he worked before tho, it was like that for a while... lurklurklurk...
then POW!

right hook from nowhere..
:P

but from what i recall as well, that was mostly because of the crazy ass detail he went into the sketch in the first place... might as well have just been a finished peice, but then the photoshop craziness that went into it too...

[gives me shivers just to think about :D]

Tommy Lee
10-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Let's see what you got!
Good luck my man and I am expecting impressive stuff:D

Cheerz

Tom

paulwdavidson
10-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Hi guys,

no real reason for not posting yet..........apart from a few things I've been sorting out at home. New job etc

I've got my concept sorted. As soon as possible I'll be drawing it up (over the next 3 days....hopefully)

The one thing I'm not doing, If I've learned anything from last time, is try and finish in a couple of weeks.......not good for your health :) I'm getting a good start this time. If you remember the last one, I didn't have a computer till two weeks to go for Machineflesh....that's why I was late in joining.

I've tried playing about with a few ideas, but one of them came on the strongest, so I'll run with that, because it feels the most natural. I'm learning to pay more attention to my gut instincts these days.

I look forward to your comments when I post it.

Cheers

Paul

Squibbit
10-28-2004, 09:00 PM
The one thing I'm not doing, If I've learned anything from last time, is try and finish in a couple of weeks.......not good for your health
yea I remember , u worked with crrrazy speed , heh , small miracle u didn't set
the pencil on fire , drawing so fast

anyways , laters n good to know you'll have some cool art to post for us to see soon !

paulwdavidson
11-03-2004, 01:39 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099489148_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099489148_large.jpg)

Over 30 years ago, Nasa's first attempts at communicating with extraterrestrial life-was attached to the planetary spaceprobes Pioneer 10 and 11.
If these probes should ever be intercepted, their finders will be able to discover the location of the race that sent them.
This plaque (and concept) has always fascinated me.....the naive notion that you would want an alien race to know your location......................................what if they're not friendly!!!!!

paulwdavidson
11-03-2004, 01:41 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099489290_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099489290_large.jpg)

The alien that has discovered the 'calling card'

I wanted one unique ship, and one being.

Almost making first contact to deliver terms!

paulwdavidson
11-03-2004, 01:45 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099489514_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099489514_large.jpg)

This is how I see the scene. A black metalic alien in a Gold ship.

I've managed to do all of this today...........I've had the image in my head for a week now, but I haven't had time to do it. I thought I'd better get something in there, because I'm being left behind.

phew!

Good to be here

Paul

MoonVisionStudio
11-03-2004, 01:49 PM
That looks GREAT! Nice idea too. Really blew me away.

Nomad
11-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Cool concept:thumbsup: I want to see more images :bounce:

shadowstarre
11-03-2004, 02:24 PM
WOW... that's just insane... kudos, bud, you rock at this! :thumbsup:

paulwdavidson
11-03-2004, 02:45 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099493156_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099493156_large.jpg)

This is a better treatment at this stage. I was in such a hurry to post, I didn't play around with the saturation.
The gold ship will be reflecting a lot of light, therefore looking whiter, and also reflecting the colour of the earth, with some very heavy contrasting darker hues.

duddlebug
11-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Lovely concepts, paul, as expected!! That final concept could almost be a finished image!!?

And it's a really interesting idea... i'm really looking forward to your updates...

And i know what you mean about 'being left behind'... all i've had time to do is lots of really rough pencil stuff, so i wouldn't worry. The quality of your stuff will get everyone excited whenever you get stuff posted!!

Luter
11-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Hi M. Davidson. So great design. Definitly I love your style...wow.

I just wonder one thing about this one : Maybe it's not enough epic...I think about the terms of the contest.."space opera"..."iconic moment".."galactic civilization"...yes, your picture could be a crucial moment, of course, the meeting of two civilizations...I'm wondering...arh...

Peddy
11-03-2004, 03:00 PM
good lord. amazing colouring and line art. watch the planet though, it chops the frame in half compositionally.
and i agree with goli. with a backstory it will be epic, but for best results i reckon it needs to be apparent, and have the feel without a story.

Peddy
11-03-2004, 03:02 PM
good lord. amazing colouring and linework, but watch the planet in the bg - it chops the composition in half. it may not be as strong if the space area wasnt solid colour.

and i agree with goli - your concept needs to convey the space opera independant of any literature.

paulwdavidson
11-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Interesting comments...........the backstory is for people who are interested in knowing where my concept came from. I agree that an Illustration should say everything without the need for words to get an idea of what's going on.

I'm going to have a little rethink...........I believe I was a little too subtle with what I posted. I had another interpretation from the same concept that is more obvious.......!

I'll post soon.

Thanks

Paul

Merlin
11-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Well, I love the theme and execution as well. However, I somewhat cheated and skipped down to the image before I read the backstory. The title "message in a bottle" combined with the imagery is pretty impressive and spawns all sorts of ideas on what that message might be. (The man in black rarely represents peace, which well, that's just cool. The aliens sent one guy to take out an entire planet. That may not be what you were going for, but that was sort of my first thought about it.) Regardless, if this was just your sketch, I can't imagine what you'll roll out for the final piece,

Neal

Slav
11-03-2004, 07:50 PM
i really like your images so far. good stuff.

sidchagan
11-03-2004, 08:04 PM
What you have so far looks like its going to be an amazing piece of work. I like the coloring and details a lot, and has a very mechancal (but at the same time organic for some reason) feel to it.
I'm not too crazy about the Earth though- I think there needs to be more of a blue hue for it to be convincing, it looks more gray than anything right now.

paulwdavidson
11-04-2004, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the comments. I've decided to change my direction.....It's not until I've analysed it more that I've realised I'm not as comfortable with this as I first thought.

I've designed my new piece.......I'll post in the next day or two. It's along the same concept, but It's a completely new setting.

Paul

element5
11-04-2004, 01:55 AM
Hiya Paul, I would have to say your work is as Tasty as Speaky's and Squibbits.....great work :thumbsup:

shadowstarre
11-04-2004, 02:13 AM
A new piece? I'm looking forward to it!

Virtuoso
11-04-2004, 04:57 AM
A wicked coolness in the design Paul.....I hope most of your message in the bottle stays in your overall plan.Intense and wonderful design.......:arteest:

malcolmvexxed
11-04-2004, 03:52 PM
excellent job of progressing this. I can already see this as the intro to a movie.

Tranchefeux
11-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Hi
Excelling drawings because you controls, and perhaps good ideas, but
it misses if I can allow myself the imposing moment epic can be to
develop the idea to find the "monumental piece", I waits to see you
your new reflexion which will be powerful I am on...
Good road....

paulwdavidson
11-04-2004, 06:28 PM
I believe I've come up with something that says it all..........for me anyway.........and that's important fi you're going to do your best work. I'm about 80% finished with the new concept.

I'll be posting it very soon.

Paul

Blackarts
11-04-2004, 11:50 PM
awesome Paul, love the idea. I think this has the potential of totally being 'epic' it's all in what you do with the character and the planet, and how you inject emotion into it. Can't wait to see it finished.

Tommy Lee
11-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the comments. I've decided to change my direction.....It's not until I've analysed it more that I've realised I'm not as comfortable with this as I first thought.

I've designed my new piece.......I'll post in the next day or two. It's along the same concept, but It's a completely new setting.

PaulI love the first sketch. But as long as u stay with this original concept nothing can go wrong.
Wait for the new sketch!

Tom

JasonChan
11-06-2004, 01:27 AM
Good to see you in the contest! Your MF piece was one of my favorites last contest. I can't wait to see what you come up with this time around.

I like what you have so far. Everything looks like it's already pretty strong. I don't know what you'll have to do until January :D

paulwdavidson
11-06-2004, 05:54 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099763647_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099763647_large.jpg)

New concept. Well....same concept/new setting.
I decided I wanted the action or feeling of this to be more intimate from the viewers point of view. The last image felt as if you where too far away and not connected to it (even though I believed It would have made a strong image.)
I've moved the story along, and our hero is trying to disable the invasion by an assault on the tech-hive.
If he's stopped, the Earth is finished............detected- can he see off his aggressor!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you can get something from this.............the last one was a little ambiguous.

Thanks

Paul

paulwdavidson
11-06-2004, 06:37 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099766223_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099766223_large.jpg)

Wanted to see if I could get the image bigger.

Paul

Speaky
11-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi Paul, I reckon you made the right decision there. I agree that the first one would have created a very compelling image but this latest is much more fitting to the theme. Good to see you testing different takes on the theme as I'm sure this will make your final image even stronger. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Blackarts
11-06-2004, 08:12 PM
I agree, this is a strong concept. It feels like the guy is too big or the alien/pod thing too small...not sure which. With your coloring skills I think you could really create some awesome details and lighting in this image. good work!

Zpexxo
11-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Hey really nice idea i think!

It got a cool perspective with a nice mood to it
hope to see more soon!

Great work!

malcolmvexxed
11-07-2004, 10:46 PM
I like both images a lot but this one may be better in terms of portraying a pivotal moment.

SteelPixel
11-07-2004, 11:27 PM
your linework is amazing, I checked out your MF entry and I thought it was incredible, I know this will be just as good but I agree with the poster who said the sizes were a bit off, I think one or the other (alien or human) should be bigger or smaller to give it some dynamics, right now it looks a bit static, the human looks like he is just floating there, not really connected, just minor a critique...otherwise can't wait for more

Cicinimo
11-07-2004, 11:30 PM
This is a great idea for a piece. The only areas I see potential problems in are the overlap areas of the lower left. To keep your forms from running together, you may want to make sure your values seperate them clearly. Your details look great, and the sense of action is spot on.

paulwdavidson
11-08-2004, 12:00 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099915242_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3927/3927_1099915242_large.jpg)

There's been some good comments made about my early sketches, and I've taken them on board.
I've enlarged the space, so that the composition can breathe, and give the illusion of a much grander stage.
In the top right the fleet have started their assault, while our hero has a one on one with one of the aliens.
I'll probably shrink the scale of the ships leaving the hive/dock so that I can put in hundreds of the things (still occulying the same space, making the structure seem massive.)
There'll be adjustments of course.....tweaks here and there compositionaly, but i'm happy with the elements. With having so many elements screaming for attention, it's been a tricky one with who get's the limited space. I think the balance is there. You can get the scale by the size of the battle droid in the pod that he's standing on.

Comments are welcome as usual.

Paul

Tommy Lee
11-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Great Image to say it again. There is just one thing that bothers me. The Alien's right leg seems to go ino the backwall of the pod(Ship). I know from myself that I often oversee such details when I work on a grandscale images.

Keep it up:wip:

paulwdavidson
11-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Well spotted.........I'll be putting that right for my linework milestone.

cheers

Kraull
11-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Hi Paul!

Great composition. Great mood too. I'm waiting to see the final line art!!!

screamingwing
11-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Lovely looking image. Your design work is very distinctive which is a big plus.

Blackarts
11-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Paul, this is looking good. Do you usually work all greyscale and then put color washes over top? I like the design of your space hero guy, his lean phyisique is almost acrobatic. I think it looks like the aliens laser (?) is missing the mark by a lot though, it almost looks like he is firing off a warning shot. I almost like it the way you had it better when it crossed the hero, but I can see why you changed it....maybe something in between would work. I dunno, just throwing stuff out there - keep going man, looking good.

cheers

paulwdavidson
11-08-2004, 05:28 PM
Well spotted, regarding the laser.....I'm now using it to define the hero's space. I understand what you're saying-I'll probably bring it closer, maybe going across his arm to crete a stronger illusion that it's just missed (plus, it'll be nice to see the laser reflecting in his helmet). Compared to before, it holds the guy more into the scene compositionaly.

I'm working with greyscale at the moment because the compositional balance of these elements in the shot has been quite a challenge. I didn't want to be considering colour while I had this headache. With this one, I've sketched each different section in pieces and played around with the composition using different layers in Photoshop. I would then print this out and redraw the whole thing again, but It's begging to be painted straight over it!

With the Machineflesh Illustration I used a very precise drawing to use as a multiply layer, because I wanted a more organic and rough feel. It'll be lost on this one, because It has to be a more clean style of rendering. Still aged, because I want the technology to look very industrial, especially the structure in the background which will end up looking like an old steel works factory.

I haven't decided yet.......I'm not sure what I could use as my linework 'milestone' if that was the case......?

Cheers

Paul

Tranchefeux
11-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Hi, Cool tone last sketch, I think that you hold there large,
large a space Opéra, you will be able to devote you on the execution
which is announced terrible. :thumbsup:

Riddick
11-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Great work paul!!
Don't forget details an beautiful colors!
Good luck!

element5
11-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Wow the new concept looks great :thumbsup:

Virtuoso
11-10-2004, 12:06 AM
Just here for the "eye candy"........deep darkish look,with intensity,nice compo/layout angles,surrealistic in a way........Just got Wicked written all over it.........:arteest:

bolchover
11-10-2004, 02:35 PM
excellent artwork. I have to disagree with some of the guys above. I prefer your original concept (the second seems pretty pulp scifi to me, but might work as an image): I quite like the idea of an encased being of destructive potentiality floating at present serenely through space - all sorts of contradictions in that! but having said that, the highlights on the vessel were too ambient - as if there were atmosphere in that part of space :) I'll follow with interest!

NinjaA55N
11-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Superb! Im waiting for the details, everything else is just great for now. I mean... ppl before me had some good critics, so i wont repeat them. Keep posting! Im waiting for next step :)

paulwdavidson
12-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Hi all...........I wanted to wish everyone luck in the contest. There is a hell of a lot of great entries for this challenge...very impressive!

Unfortunately (similar to Goli) I have a commitment to finish a comic book and I won't have time to finish my Space Opera entry......which is a shame because I had a revised design that I was working up......never mind.

This is a great brief for a challenge.............good luck to everyone.

See you for the next one.

Paul

Squibbit
12-09-2004, 10:13 AM
aww man , can't u work in your sleep ?

it's real sad to have such talented people
as you and goli to drop out of the competition.

well, good luck with your book and laters !

paulwdavidson
12-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Cheers, mate.............good luck with your artwork, it looks fantastic.

Until next time!

newcenturydsn
12-12-2004, 03:34 AM
...............................Speechless!!

I think that's all i need to say.:eek:

duddlebug
12-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Hi Paul!!

Your designs were looking really promising, but i'm in a similar situation and know i haven't got a chance of finishing this time... and i know it's no fun coming to that realisation when you've started out on an idea...

Good luck with your comic project... gonna post anything online?

And when you gonna get your website sorted? huh? huh?

techart
12-12-2004, 02:37 PM
hey man,,great work in the end...lots of details...love the character....position and lineart...love the comp but needs more color scale I'll say//probably was on your prority list..cheers mate..great stuff...get on it

Tommy Lee
12-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Loved your approach!
Sad to hear you can't continue.
See ya next time...

Cheerz buddy:thumbsup:

Blackarts
12-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Sorry to hear I won't get to see a final product from you Paul, your work is great. Good luck with the comic, and I look forward to seeing more of your stuff in the future.

-Daryl

Nikolay
01-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Excellent work, excellent style!

JasonChan
01-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Aww, I was looking forward to seeing your work again this time around. But of course, work comes first. Sorry to hear that you won't have time this time around. Maybe we'll get to see some of your masterwork next time. Good luck on the comic!

Shinwa
01-14-2005, 12:15 AM
this always happens way too often..I am sorry to hearit - your work is very cool:sad:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.