PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Michel ROGER

MROGER
10-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Michel ROGER has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

Goul
10-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Hey Mr , good luck for the challenge :)

jddog
10-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Hoo… what a great surprise… You can’t imagine how helped me your JoA's tutorial to learn 3D/body modelling. Thanks for this :bowdown: !

Good luck, bonne chance (et merci encore).

jdd

Haaibo
10-18-2004, 07:12 PM
I learnt a tonne from your JoA Tut, and i'm glad to competing with someone of your calibre

MROGER
10-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Heheh, ok it was a pleasure to make this tutorial, and I was surprised how it helped lot of people worldwide :)

It's my first try in a cgtalk's challenge, I love the subject :) I'll try to do my best and I'll take one or two weeks to find a good concept.

Lot of drawings and I'll hope to post some next week.

BinarySoup
10-18-2004, 11:18 PM
great!, been an admirer of your works for a long time and it's going to be great following you progress here, as for ideas I sure wouldn't mind you drawing more inspiration from Bilal, your Jill Bioskop was simply amazing!
(http://heim.ifi.uio.no/%7Ejanl/ts/mezieres.html)

Antropus
10-19-2004, 02:04 AM
Yeah man, you and your tutorials are great! I started to learn polygonal modeling because of your work and I already told you. But here is public ;)

Good luck man. Surely will be an awesome work!

Kris

jddog
10-19-2004, 07:07 AM
It's my first try in a cgtalk's challenge, I love the subject :) I'll try to do my best and I'll take one or two weeks to find a good concept.

Let the battle start... hee the fun start :D
jdd

gjpetch
10-19-2004, 08:01 AM
This is really going to be one to watch, your Bilal character is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in 3d.

MROGER
10-21-2004, 06:52 AM
Thanx Antropus, you're a true gentleman :thumbsup:

BinarySoup & gjpetch : Cool that you like it, I worked on the second picture from
the same comic but now there is this challenge :)

I'll try to work on both... :D

MROGER
10-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Here's a first concept, done with 3D primitives objects.
After that I redraw on it to improve the design.

http://mroger99.free.fr/cgtalk/cgtk_concept_00.jpg

Some peoples show an archeological artifact (a fun one) found on the primordial
planet of Mankind (Earth).
It's an interesting idea that in future Mankind can lost the location of their first
planet, and try to redecovert it. (you can find this concept in the well know saga
'foundation' by I.Asimov)
I think I'll search other concepts but I would to make a picture with characters,
spaceship, big town or facilities and of course vision of planet in the sky :)

gpepper
10-21-2004, 07:28 AM
The master is in !

So cool to see you there !

Good luck !

Michel, c'est vraiment bien de te voir ici ! J'imagine que ta participation à ce concours ne sera pas de la figuration !
Je vais dire comme Costa, tes tutoriels m'ont appris la 3D ! Et je m'en sert encore !

Bonne chance !

:thumbsup:

Lemog
10-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Salut Michel... it's too much to see you here... I hope you defend the french power... I'm sure you do something incredible... and it's will be an another lesson for us...

On va donc te surveiller comme des fous... et te soutenir... non mais ! :love:

And especially, have fun :D

I like your first project of placement... it's not particulary original... but it's a good composition... The must important will be the particular treatment of the scene, then, I completely trust you for that... bon suitage...

Lemog...

Xeroedge
10-21-2004, 09:13 AM
Gah its all over. the grandmaster has enter the contest.

Good Luck and I can't wait to see what kind of crazyness you come up with for the end product~!
This contest seems to have brought out the best people in the industry... very scary stuff O.o

Chug
10-21-2004, 09:33 AM
OMG, MR is here!!
I know it won't be the first time you hear it (but hey, that's your fault, you should have made useless tutorials if you didn't want that to happen too often) but Thank you for your wonderful tutorials, it's the reason I'm doing 3D today.
I'll look forward to your work, show the world how well deserved your reputation is.

Chug, another MR fan.

(Are you still living in Lyon ?)

Fred76
10-21-2004, 10:32 AM
... j'ai hate d'en voir plus vu que moi aussi j'ai fait mes débuts en 3D avec tes tutorials ... Bonne Chance !

...i'm impatient to see more as i learned 3D with your tutorials ... Good Luck !

nicky
10-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Exellent you also join this challenge! :bounce:
Je me réjouis de voir ce que tu vas faire.:)
the start give already a nice idea.
Good luck and thank you for your tutos

Versiden
10-21-2004, 01:21 PM
awesome pre-vis..
I like the lighting.

sacrefredo
10-21-2004, 02:26 PM
hehe ! salut mitch !!
bon je t'ai deja dit en live ke c un bon debut !!
maintenant j'attends la suite avec impatience!!
good luck man !!:thumbsup:

MROGER
10-21-2004, 06:40 PM
gpepper :
Thanx :)
My first challenge, so no pressure and just fun :)

Lemog :
Yes like you say, fun is the most important here.
I prefer focus me on a reasonnable project, maybe not very original but
I'm sure that I can finish, working only after daily job and week end.

Xero`:
For sure a very inspirating challenge and lot of people and amazing pictures
i'll hope :)

Chug :
I'll try my best with time I can spend and my poor old PC :shrug:

Fred76, Nicky : thx for your message, it's cool.

Versiden : I like a lot this work's method, very fast and you can see in few hours
how to place objects and lighting stuffs.:bounce:

maxman : hehe, thanx my friend, what's a pity that you can't subscribe this challenge.:sad:

dominicqwek
10-21-2004, 07:16 PM
hey there, composition looks good so far, I can't really telll what is in the far bg, assuming that the buildings are close, I would shorten the buildings on the left to emphasize and bring out the head of the ship. Then I would flip the bottom half so that the artifact is on the left side, this balances out with the ship. Now it looks like a lot is happening on the right, the ship and artifact is there. My 2 cent's worth ;)

Looking forward to more stuff. Cheers!

3doid
10-21-2004, 07:25 PM
hey ROGER awesome concept drawing my freind... i can c ur really good with lighting..i liked the setting... i'll b watching this thread for updates... keep it up :thumbsup:

MROGER
10-21-2004, 10:08 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3922/3922_1098396500_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3922/3922_1098396500_large.jpg)

Research on ambient and lighting (2D/3D based).

Ducklips
10-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Great Lighting work! This is also very unique. It would be cool to see a few stars but I understand you are just getting a feel for lighting and such.

Great Job! :)

-Dean

kromekat
10-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Very nice visuals! - you have a strong colour pallette there - reminds me a little of Tim Hildebrandts strong cool/warm contrast! - looking forward very much to your progress!!! :thumbsup:

HieSpike
10-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Hello,

After reading the comments from all the other people I had to check out your site, VERY Impressive work. Looks like you're going to be a tough challenger, I welcome the oppurtunity to compete with you. Like the sketch too. good luck

peace

emonimo
10-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Wow!! what a nice colouring .... Are you going to work more on this concept? If yes, you should post ir in the 2D section ....I'll see your work.

dark-elf2
10-22-2004, 12:50 AM
yep just like everyone else im also a fan but i am yet to finish the joa tutorial

you are of to a good start and i am excited to see what you can come up with
good luck for the challenge

Plaute
10-22-2004, 12:54 AM
Nice work!!!

LucianoBerutti
10-22-2004, 01:00 AM
really cool ! Sketch is appearing great! :thumbsup: good luck!

BookMansBlues
10-22-2004, 04:18 AM
Very Sweet! :)

jddog
10-22-2004, 06:56 AM
Michel, don't ask me why... your image remind me a little bit Balck&Mortimer... I suppose was the 'le secret de L'espadon" (not sure). Really like it and the amient lighing promise a excellent work !

jdd

MROGER
10-22-2004, 07:03 AM
Ducklips : Thx, yes of course I will add some stars in the sky but like you say,
just a fast rough lighting and research :)

Kromekat : I know T.Hildebrandts's works, a great illustrator, here the colors
are very roughes, I'll make lot of tweak with work progress.

HieSpike : Thx very much :) I see you website too and I like your NASA's works :)
I'll follow your thread too.

Emonimo : I'll make some tweak with lot of details or concepts, like spaceship in the sky (differents designs), placement of the people and artifact etc.
I make a advanced version of this rough this week end I'll hope but only in 3D section.

dark-elf2, Plaute, Luciano berutti and BookMansBLues : Thanks a lot for your comments :)

Jddog : I don't know very well this comic but I remember now the colors etc,
btw it's a all time classic european's comic :thumbsup:

Fahrija
10-22-2004, 07:29 AM
I´m really looking forward watching your work.

Nice perspective view

Tranchefeux
10-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Hello, Good starting, I am on you will represent our colors as it owe
Good luck

Russell Campos
10-22-2004, 02:38 PM
I was missing it!! The master teacher of poly / girl modeling is here!! :bowdown:

I cant thank you enough for your tutorials!! I love your works and it couldnt be different with this one. The concept is great, the lighting setup is superb.

I will be watching close for this masterpiece!! :arteest: :beer:

jddog
10-22-2004, 02:45 PM
I don't know very well this comic

Black&Mortimer...Tonnere de Brest* c'est à lire ! Par milles sabord* ! Astronaute d'eau douce...*
(* citation capitaine haddock)

Like capitaine haddock nobody can found so strange words or description haha lol ;) + :D
Just I jocke.

jdd

boottz
10-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi Michel, as everything so simple and easy
sells yours I begin of work in the contest...

great luck for the master

PreatORiAn
10-22-2004, 03:24 PM
ooh that looks real sweet ^^
gives a kind of 'grim' atmosphere, this could definetely go up the coolness-lane :P

MROGER
10-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Fahrija : Cool :) I'll make some retake with the view, adding some space above and under, to resize the picture like the first post ratio.
So I can modify the character's ground (adding some platforms and mecanicals) and the sky.
'hope it's work.

Tranchefeux : thanx, i'll try to do my best.

Chug
10-22-2004, 04:49 PM
I really like the atmosphere you've created around your scene, even if I think the monolith is kinda out of place actually. I mean, that cold color and the bright lighting over it makes feel like it has nothing to do here. At the same time, as it is a fragment from the past, it might be what you're trying to do, and then, it works perfectly :).

By the way, will there be characters messing around the thing ?

-=Darth Alek'SidE=-
10-22-2004, 05:01 PM
Je suit ton poste ac grand interet! ça commence deja bien

i'll follow your thread very interrested in (?! sry, i'm froggish) it's a good start

MROGER
10-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Russell Campos : Ok, it was a pleasure :cool: I'll try to not desapoint you.

PreatORiAn : I don't think I want a 'grim' atmosphere, it's just a big astroport
with lot of activities, but not sinister.

Chug : I retake this part soon, the lighting of this part too :) I think you'll understand
better this part in a few days, it's the main focus of the whole picture and a touch of humour
(if it works fine).

And of course there are few people messing around, you can see them now, the high boxes ;)

-=Darth Alek'SidE=- : Merci c'est sympa :) Thank you, it's cool.

oxygen13300
10-22-2004, 05:30 PM
The GREAT Michel Roger in action !!!:thumbsup:
I'm following your work since JoA
Nice beginning, I will encourage you as a fan of all ur works
So Good luck and I hope to see u in Exposé 3... perhaps :shrug:

Un grand merci à toi qui a su me consacrer du temps

superlayer
10-22-2004, 06:10 PM
I tried ur tutorial and it rocked.

<fanboy>I am humbled by your presence.</fanboy>

Seriously I like your sketch and I will be following your work here.

Lotus7
10-22-2004, 06:20 PM
woah! looking up for this one! ur concept already has an awesome atmosphere!

3doid
10-22-2004, 06:37 PM
keep goin buddy... m with ya, the latest drawing is gr8... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dsigna
10-22-2004, 07:10 PM
bien la technique 3d-box... histoire de voir l´angle, volumes, lumiere... ça donne tout de suite une idée de la scene... on va suivre ça avec grand interet... par contre le monolite.. c´est pour simuler un élément?

Aego
10-22-2004, 08:06 PM
Un MR qui fait du challenge, ça s'arrose :)

Ben j'aime bien comme projet, juste je trouve l'éclairage de ton vaisseau un poil hargneux...
Sympa l'ambiance sinon..

La suiiiite !!!

Designer2
10-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Wow Michel, this is great sketching and coloring,:)

PedroToledo
10-22-2004, 09:06 PM
I won´t wish you luck... You just don´t need it!!

Just kiding man. I´m a big fan of your work!

Can´t wait to see this one.

Best luck!! (oops! I did it :D )

Viollus
10-22-2004, 09:09 PM
wow!, this is really impresiv... it's kind like 2001: space odysey and the black monolith

sH1
10-22-2004, 11:21 PM
Enfin je vais pouvoir parler francais , bon courage michou !!!
allez GL pour le challenge, c'est bien parti !!!
J'aime les couleurs orangées et bleutées des ambiants lights.
( PS: je vais faire une blague aux anglais , pour le fun !!! voir ci dessus pour voir comment ils vont reagir ^^ )

So, michel roger has a 3D newbie. I hate a drawing !!! He dont know to model a cube !!!
No joke michel roger, you 're demasked !!!

Foot
10-22-2004, 11:27 PM
Wow, you have a really nice composition there! That is a good idea... setting up primitives to create the composition, and then draw over them in photoshop. I may try it for my additional work for the project. ;)

pBarrelas
10-23-2004, 05:25 AM
Yeah, very nice concept dude! This challenge has serious competition!!:)

Lemog
10-23-2004, 07:38 AM
So, michel roger has a 3D newbie. I hate a drawing !!! He dont know to model a cube !!!
No joke michel roger, you 're demasked !!!You too sH1... you're demasked... you're the master of the bad joke I think... then I'm still laughing :scream:
Lemog...

flash.luz
10-25-2004, 06:19 AM
How can i batle so wonderfull concepts?
U got some real nice skectches over there!

Good Luck

Best Regards,
Tiago

diceroll
10-25-2004, 06:27 AM
nice concepts! Its going to look great, I'll be watching this thread! :thumbsup:

Ruso
10-25-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm another big fan of your work, Michel. Your tutorials are the best. I will be following this. I wish all the best.

The first sketches look already amazing. Are you going for a toon shading style for this image or are you looking a more photorealistic style this time. Anyway, whatever you choose I'm sure it will be superb as always. ;)

Bonne chance! (though you don't need it) :)

ficolo
10-25-2004, 04:46 PM
Hello Michel,
I am honored that one of my preferred artists participates to this contest....

Aspect with sudden start to see yours wips :bounce:

Ciao
ficolo

igorstshirts
10-25-2004, 05:08 PM
You blocked this out pretty quick... Quick way of getting ideas!

MROGER
10-25-2004, 05:11 PM
oxygen13300 :
Thx a lot :)
Mhh I sent nothing for Exposé 1 & 2, and I don't know what I decide for
the third.

superlayer, Lotus7, 3doid, Designer2,Pedro Toledo, pBarrelas thanks for yours comments.

dsigna :
Yes, i used it since Joan of Arc picture and it's work pretty fine
(and fast).
Yes it's a part of an element, more details soon.

Aego :
Merci, it's cool ;)

Viollus :
It looks like now but wait a more advanced design, it's a not
a black monolith or a monolith, but a rock with interesting stuff inside :)

sH1 :
mdr :scream:

Foot :
Yes it's usefull to manage perspective etc :)

flash.luz :
Come on :) It's very exciting to share some work in progress here,
all the world in a forum :applause:
Try your best and you'll learn lot of thing yourself
and with the others posts.

Ruso :
I think a realist but not photorealist rendering.
Photorealism is not my challenge in my rendering works.

ficolo :
Thanks, I see your entry and I like it too, I post a comment soon :thumbsup:

qwatkins
10-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Nice composition, I like the "down looking up, way up" perspective, it adds to the sense of vastness and scale. I am still working on the prologue but am close and will start scene soon. Keep up the great work.

peterlalic
10-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Your sence for lighting is outstanding.
You made a wise choice to use a skech metod for preparing lighting setup in your scene.
I will be glad to see next stage.
Exelent job so far...

WazaR
10-26-2004, 12:31 AM
Hey nice to see that Im not the only one that uses 3d block primitives to produce a kind of guide for creating a composition.

Great use of color,... but Im confussed as to what is going on in the picture...

Also, I wonder if you are plainning on adding a characters to the image, or if it be machanical only?

MROGER
10-26-2004, 06:58 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3922/3922_1098773889_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3922/3922_1098773889_large.jpg)

Here a first answer to your questions.
The new concept will be a clean up drawing.

Characters are low poly models I use to research fast posing and lighting test.

gpepper
10-26-2004, 07:11 AM
Cool concept, should be a complex scene...

Designer2
10-26-2004, 08:09 AM
brilliant work. lighting looks great, this spaceship reminds me with something funny (sexy) ha ha ha...

keep up the great work mate.:thumbsup:

MROGER
10-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Designer2 : :scream: I see what you mind, i'll hope the final design don't remind you the same stuff :)

kaajey
10-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Iam quite interesting what will be next. Looks pretty cool :thumbsup:

otacon
10-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Great lighting. Cant wait to see it come together in 3d.

Fred76
10-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Nice concept and lightning ... as usual :thumbsup:

DanielWalsh
10-26-2004, 02:46 PM
I like the way you've used 3d, then painted over as your concept picture, looks like a good technique. Hope you don't mind, but i'm probs gonna steal (Sorry, I mean borrow!) that idea from you...

Keep up the good work, adn in agreement with comments above: lighting is awesome

superlayer
10-26-2004, 03:19 PM
I have seen the paint over 3d method many times before and tried it once myself. Its a great method.
I wonder if you can tell us a little about your workflow?
And pls be a little detailed about how you prepare the 3d scene before you paint over it.

Thanks. It would be a great help.

MROGER
10-26-2004, 08:03 PM
monkeyboy1982 :
If you read the rules of this challenge, you can see that we can help us together :)
Also, if you like this technique you can use it too, it's not a problem.

superlayer :
Ok, I listenned to you and here a more detailed steps :)

http://mroger99.free.fr/cgtalk/image02.jpg
Here a view to the "ground", mountains are juste sphere with some vertex tweaked,
I use main a directionnal light as main light (sun) and two ambient lights.
Others lights are omnis with differents decay rates (linear, quadratic or cubic)
to achieve scene ambience.

http://mroger99.free.fr/cgtalk/image03.jpg
A closer view of the "deck", just boxes or polygons with some extruded faces or
edges.

http://mroger99.free.fr/cgtalk/image09.jpg
The main focus of the picture, the people and artifact.
Characters are low poly models, basic skinned.
Notice a spot to illuminate the artifact and an omni to simulate the light reflexion
on it.

MROGER
10-26-2004, 08:05 PM
http://mroger99.free.fr/cgtalk/image08.jpg

http://mroger99.free.fr/cgtalk/image11.jpg
http://mroger99.free.fr/cgtalk/image12.jpg
http://mroger99.free.fr/cgtalk/image10.gif

A usefull tips to make a better rendering or to add extra lines for your drawing aids is to smooth your low models without continuity (in maya but work the same
in others packages with equivalent options).

Now yours models look like "grid" but not deformed by smoothing.

http://mroger99.free.fr/cgtalk/image13.jpg

After rendering and ready to paint over, notice you can place an extra layer
(multiply mode) to see wireframe to help you with the perspective.

'Hope it's usefull.

mv
10-26-2004, 08:16 PM
for max users : you get same effect by putting a tesselate modifier with tension = 0 and then playing with iteration levels for more or less subdivisions.

----

Great concept and workflow. Can't wait to see where it will lead, keep it up!

spikewolfwood
10-26-2004, 08:29 PM
i can't wait >_< (p.s. : je sais que je vai être le 10 000 ème à te remercier pour ton tuto sur joan mais bon je tenais quand même a le faire :))

superlayer
10-27-2004, 01:06 AM
Michel ROGER, m@.: Thanks a lot for the insight. :)

Tranchefeux
10-27-2004, 07:27 AM
Good progréssion on your project, and thank you on the technical
explanations....

bouledpue
10-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Good job!
It's look like a cover of a sci-fi book.

CobraX
10-27-2004, 08:24 PM
Superb!

Roger, are we allowed to use this technique? I mean, instead of texturing we can just paintover our 3d still?

MROGER
10-27-2004, 08:53 PM
CobraX :

For the final picture I'll use a camera map for UVs, so I really paint over an uv's snapshot with Photoshop or Painter, it's fast and efficient.
But now I use it only for the concept design.

Your final picture must be rendered and post processed evently, if you want only painting it,
you must subscribe to the 2D challenge :)

3doid
10-29-2004, 07:56 PM
hey nice goin...hey in the wirefream view... r all the ppl smokin pipes?..haha LOL... ur lighting is really aweosme... very educative and thanx for the insights... i'll b back for more updates... keep goin... :thumbsup:

shards
10-29-2004, 08:10 PM
cool concept and lighting!! cant' wait for some modeling! :thumbsup:

MROGER
10-30-2004, 02:29 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3922/3922_1099146576_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3922/3922_1099146576_large.jpg)

Here some modifications of the character's placement.

I think it's better than the other.
Say what you think :)

I just start to draw a delailed sketch of this picture.

keetmun
10-30-2004, 02:35 PM
Greetings mr Roger!
Just a suggestion. Since your concept depicts the discovery of a fossill (pardon me if I'm wrong), perhaps the people around the fossill can look a bit more animated or excited? Or some of them could look really inquisitive and might be looking really closely at the object?

Hope to have helped!
:buttrock:

BookMansBlues
10-30-2004, 02:58 PM
cool! looking rather spiffy there ;)

texxx
10-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Good composition, and nice colors alchemy,it gives a very good picture lisibility.

(effectivement, le vaisseau est un peu phallique : ) )

MROGER
10-30-2004, 03:53 PM
keetmun :
It's a good idea, I'll make some tests with it. :thumbsup:

BookMansBlues :
Sorry, my english is limited and I don't understand your sentence :shrug:

Texxx :
Thanx :)
(j'assume le coté "viril" du vaisseau :D )

Russel-Nash
10-30-2004, 06:49 PM
Wow, this is Grand Space Opera at its best. Simply amazing.

I think the way the people are standing in the last sketch is the best. Only the woman on the very right bothers me a little bit. I don’t really know what she is doing. She looks like she admits someone to the floor. Which doesn’t really make sense.

I will definitely follow your thread.

Russel

Spigaou
11-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Salut m'sieur, un beau concept que voilà... ça promet d'être magnifique !!
J'aime tout spécialement la balance entre couleurs chaudes et froides.
Vivement la suite.

maruku
11-02-2004, 01:54 PM
zyva MR déchire tout avec MR (jeux de mot inside) ^^

bouledpue
11-03-2004, 08:55 AM
J'aime beaucoup la compositon et l'ambiance de ta scène.

Chuis trop une buse en anglais vivement un CGdiscute :(.

Yeah great work! :)

Lemog
11-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Mr MR -> The light concept is very beautiful... if you respect that... and you obtain better result in 3d... you'll be one of the greatest challenger... I'm waiting the next update impatiently... :thumbsup:

Bouledpue -> There's no shame to speak a bad english like me :scream: the most important is to be understood... or almost...

emonimo
11-03-2004, 11:51 AM
GREAT!! .... and thaks for explaining the concept process:thumbsup: , you work inspirate me ..

MROGER
11-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Russel_Nash :
Ok, I retake her a little bit, she look at the first plan people now :thumbsup:

yebah4, maruku : Thanx :cool:

bouledpue :
My english is not very famous too. :shrug: But enough to be understood here, like Lemog :)

Lemog :
Merci, I'm just starking more detailed design, both in 2d/3d.
But it's hard to re-work at home after whole day at job ;)
I think it's my true challenge for this picture, because I've a good idea
how to achieve all the things in 3D, just finding time and energy :)

emonimo : my pleasure :)

I'll try to post something this night.

MROGER
11-03-2004, 08:01 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3922/3922_1099515696_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3922/3922_1099515696_large.jpg)

A rough concept of the spaceship shows in the picture.
It's a 'space truck', a sort of cargo. I try to build it with some rationnality
but, heh, it's all sci-fi here :)

I think it looks less funny than the 3D one.

Orporick
11-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Hi Michel

oh my .. your sketch is so amazing .. I like the model and the way it is draw (how much does it take you to sketch something like that? I'll probably never learn how to draw like that) .. and I really like also the attention for details .. I have just one comment .. since it is a cargo, I presume that most of the mass will be in the lower part of the ship (in the Main Load, according to your scheme) and so the center of mass will be in the lower part too .. since your decelleration engines (and also the accelerating ones) are all on the upper zone (at least it seems), this means probably an off-axis thrust during decelleration and the ship will start to rotate .. maybe adding some more engine in the lower part of the ship? Or maybe the ship is done in a very heavy material so that the center of mass is really on the axis of the engines ..

Really rocking sketch, I've bookmarked your thread and looking forward to see more.

Bye, Riccardo :)

Lemog
11-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Lemog :
Merci, I'm just starking more detailed design, both in 2d/3d.
how to achieve all the things in 3D, just finding time and energy :)Je sais trop ce que c'est... c'est d'ailleurs pour cela que je ne participe hélàs pas... ce n'est pourtant pas l'envie qui m'en manque... mais le job la journée, ensuite les travaux à la maison, puis ensuite s'occuper de la ptite famille... sans parler des bibs la nuit... à force... c'est trop :D
Mais je te souhaite de trouver la force qui te ménera au chef d'oeuvre final... tu vas voir, tu vas finir par trouver un rythme de croisière, porté par le soutien des membres de CgTalk à ton wip... c'est une grande motivation que de se sentir redevable par rapport aux spectateurs... nos images n'ont de valeur qu'à travers les yeux de ceux qui les regardent.

Then, I'm sorry to write in French... but I'm very tired, and at this time, it' too difficult for me to explain something in english :shrug:

Lemog
11-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Oups... I forget something... you spaceship have a quiet look... I've just find that the nose seem a little bit to a duck head, no ? or as a goose in flight... I don't know if that were done knowingly... Maybe I'm the only one to see animals in your spaceship... It's not a critic but simply a first impression... it's a little bit funny... and the global design of it is perfectly appripriate with atmosphere/style of the scene. :bounce:

pBarrelas
11-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Nice concept ROGER, it was inspired in bird right? Keep on!!:thumbsup:

D-3
11-03-2004, 11:25 PM
nice concept man!! keep on the god work!!
best luck

MROGER
11-04-2004, 07:15 AM
Orporick :
It's a quick one, I think half one hour. I put a screen shot of the 3D model on layer then redraw it.
You're right for the ship's dynamic but I don't change the concept, like I said it's all Sci-Fi ;)

Lemog :
I'll hope you're right for the extra-motivation given by the member's comments :)

With not, I see what is remember you a duck or goose, some minor tweaks when I build a low version of the ship.

pBarrelas :
Not especially by a bird, but I'm not deranged, it could be funny.

D-3 : thanx :)

gpepper
11-04-2004, 07:21 AM
Never mind the bollocks !

glim
11-04-2004, 09:00 AM
very nice concept
i wait next uptate

bon courage

dcmoutinho
11-04-2004, 12:16 PM
concept of the spaceship it´s great !!!:eek:
your scene has everything to win the challenge
keep going

sniffel
11-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Hello Mr. Roger, considering the reactions on the forum seemed to you to be the big guru of the challenges I you wish just good luck and still teach to us large thing as on your website me I am in this contest to learn I hope that I could solicity your knowledge to evolve.

Sniffel :buttrock:

jddog
11-04-2004, 12:40 PM
how to achieve all the things in 3D, just finding time and energy :)

Well c'est un vrai challenge même simplement de finir l'image... same things for me... keep it hard Michael... your work is so great :thumbsup:

:bounce:

jdd

MROGER
11-06-2004, 10:34 AM
gpepper : lol

glim, jddog : thanx :)

dcmoutinho :
Mmh, don't put on me some pressure please :) I make this challenge just for fun,
I don't think of any awards or stuff.

sniffel :
I'll try to explain in details how I build everything, not how I model but the workflow
from designs to 3D meshes.
Lot of explains in the rendering milestone too with XSi render passes etc.

Jaba153
11-06-2004, 11:05 AM
terrible composition!nice work & very cool colors!bravo!

Deadlyforce
11-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Intriguing concept i must say...and very promising !
I'm waiting for updates !:thumbsup:

Bonne chance !

uwil
11-13-2004, 06:45 PM
the vision is quite amazing to me and extra infos makes me look for more.
very educational!:thumbsup:

Lemog
11-15-2004, 04:49 AM
mmmmmmmmmh... I'm waiting your new way my friend... without pressure anyway... all that will be for the fun :D

KaDDD
11-15-2004, 07:58 PM
hi michel
i'm very happy to follow hour new work ! !
great concept as usuall ,your first rush/sketch are stylised , is t a reall pleasur to
see your work more ! !

gulliver3
11-19-2004, 11:01 AM
very nice work Michel ...
have a good challenge... :thumbsup:

markovicd
11-19-2004, 11:37 AM
man u rock! :applause: this concept is the same as i imagined in my work! :D

RIC
11-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Coucou Mister !
J ai hate de voire ce que ca va donner, ca s annonce grandiose !!!
Aplus

MROGER
11-20-2004, 08:29 AM
http://mroger99.free.fr/cgtalk/end.jpg

Ok, it's not a good new but let's go.
The challenge is over for me, I have not enough time and more important, not enough energy to achieve it.

Thanx a lot for all the people who post here and give me some advices, critics and comments, I wish good luck for the challengers.

DimitrisLiatsos
11-20-2004, 08:53 AM
I am very sad to read this friend..your work would be great . I hope u bother making this when u have more time. :sad:

Lemog
11-20-2004, 12:31 PM
That's will be a true real pleasure to follow your thread Michel... well... it's more important you focus your energy of a the most important way for you... then... all my best wishes for your real life friend :thumbsup: and see you soon...

lolo

scootermaya
11-20-2004, 09:43 PM
We will miss you pal !
Well life is a series of choices , not all easy to take ...
By and good luck !

Riddick
11-22-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm sure that it was a good lesson for a lot of people.
Thank you mister Roger!

Et puis c'est pas si grave! Le suivant peut être...

emonimo
11-23-2004, 11:26 AM
:sad: :sad:

jddog
11-23-2004, 02:20 PM
at the next one, à la prochaine !!!
jdd

HieSpike
11-29-2004, 01:46 AM
Man..that's too bad, well miss you and hope to see you on the next challenge. Same thing happened to me on the machine flesh challenge though. Good luck on work. peace

toce
12-08-2004, 06:56 PM
too bad michel... I was really waiting for your final pic.

good luck at work and see you soon..

markovicd
12-17-2004, 11:20 AM
:(((
blah why!? why shit happens ? :(

Aethyrprime
12-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Its always sad to hear about someone dropping out of the race... especially when you want to see something completed. But hey if not for the graces of god, I myself would not be able to continue, life has just barely spared me enough time to complete mine, before I must give in to the status-quo. Anyway, gl and I hope you finish this someday. Peace.

sH1
12-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Je suis très triste, i'm crying :''( !!!

userBrian
12-27-2004, 05:56 AM
Darn! That is some great work!

my 3d entry (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=179803)

b00bie
12-27-2004, 06:55 AM
http://mroger99.free.fr/cgtalk/end.jpg

Ok, it's not a good new but let's go.
The challenge is over for me, I have not enough time and more important, not enough energy to achieve it.

Thanx a lot for all the people who post here and give me some advices, critics and comments, I wish good luck for the challengers.sad... very sad :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.